Author Topic: Found On The Internet - II  (Read 1437549 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: Found On The Internet - II
« Reply #8160 on: January 12, 2023, 09:39:58 pm »

That rust, on the nearly impossible to blend Diamond White, would be enough to keep me away from it.

For this money though?  That's almost beater money (in 2022/23).

Drive it until there's nothing left.

Sure, I guess. $10K is still $10K, and I don't like pissing it away on something that'll be rusted scrap in a few years. I paid $3500 for my DTS (with 120K on it) 4.5 years ago, zero rust (former Tenessee & New Jersey car). I think I've put maybe another $500-700 into it over the last 4.5 years and added 35K to the odometer...so let's say I am $4500 into it. In the current market, I could probably double, or nearly double, my money on it if I wanted to dump it. 

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #8161 on: January 12, 2023, 09:44:25 pm »
I’ve seen several DTS’ here with k without any rust at all for that kind of money. If someone really wanted one, BC is the place to look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #8162 on: January 12, 2023, 09:49:36 pm »
I’ve seen several DTS’ here with k without any rust at all for that kind of money. If someone really wanted one, BC is the place to look.

Yeah, that's the other thing. There's typically two types of people who bought DTS...People who racked up tons of miles (livery service, sales guys, etc) and used them up, or old folks who babied them. So there's no shortage of low km, well kept units around.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #8163 on: January 12, 2023, 09:56:02 pm »

Yeah, that's the other thing. There's typically two types of people who bought DTS...People who racked up tons of miles (livery service, sales guys, etc) and used them up, or old folks who babied them. So there's no shortage of low km, well kept units around.

Why are the DTS prices so low?  Generally an un-loved model?

I see Town Cars with similar mileage usually fetch much, much more.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8164 on: January 12, 2023, 10:09:41 pm »

NorthStar scares people. Panther platform cars have a reputation for reliability....NorthStar Cadillacs do not, lol. Lesser known fact is that the infamous Northstar headbolt issue was totally resolved in 2005, so any of the final gen DTS (06-11) do not have any headgasket/headbolt issues - but the reputation is well established regardless. The N* is still more complex and costlier to maintain than say the 4.6L from a Panther. It remains one of GM's most complex engine designs; two piece aluminum block, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder...It's origins can be traced back to Lotus as a racing engine. So, while these later ones are really pretty reliable, when they do act up, it's not an easy setup to work on, and not the most DIY friendly, so it can get costly quick if you're not prepared to dig into the complexities of it.

A water pump, for example, is like an 8 hour job. Starter requires the intake to come off. Stuff like that makes it unappealing in the budget baller market. Being FWD tempers much interest from the enthusiast market too.

That said, a well sorted N* is much more refined, smoother, powerful and efficient than anything that came in the Town Car. I really enjoy mine, and even at 15 years old, it still feels/drives very modern.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8165 on: January 12, 2023, 10:12:07 pm »

NorthStar scares people. Panther platform cars have a reputation for reliability....NorthStar Cadillacs do not,

I thought that's what it was.

But thought there could be more.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8166 on: January 13, 2023, 09:24:53 am »

I can tell you that the stats suggest cars have the shortest lifespan on the East Coast, even vs Ontario and Quebec. I imagine that's due to the fact that they rust out first, but maybe there's some other factors at play - such as the makes/models that are most popular out there. iunno.

Safety inspections get them out east. 
You can drive a car until it won't move in Ontario, but in NB you have to get it inspected every two years, which means the end of the road for many.
Mr Pickypants

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8167 on: January 13, 2023, 09:29:14 am »
^^ This
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8168 on: January 13, 2023, 09:49:08 am »

I can tell you that the stats suggest cars have the shortest lifespan on the East Coast, even vs Ontario and Quebec. I imagine that's due to the fact that they rust out first, but maybe there's some other factors at play - such as the makes/models that are most popular out there. iunno.

Safety inspections get them out east. 
You can drive a car until it won't move in Ontario, but in NB you have to get it inspected every two years, which means the end of the road for many.

Ah, that makes sense. I forget that some Provinces have regular inspections.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #8169 on: January 13, 2023, 02:28:09 pm »

NorthStar scares people. Panther platform cars have a reputation for reliability....NorthStar Cadillacs do not, lol. Lesser known fact is that the infamous Northstar headbolt issue was totally resolved in 2005, so any of the final gen DTS (06-11) do not have any headgasket/headbolt issues - but the reputation is well established regardless. The N* is still more complex and costlier to maintain than say the 4.6L from a Panther. It remains one of GM's most complex engine designs; two piece aluminum block, DOHC with 4 valves per cylinder...It's origins can be traced back to Lotus as a racing engine. So, while these later ones are really pretty reliable, when they do act up, it's not an easy setup to work on, and not the most DIY friendly, so it can get costly quick if you're not prepared to dig into the complexities of it.

A water pump, for example, is like an 8 hour job. Starter requires the intake to come off. Stuff like that makes it unappealing in the budget baller market. Being FWD tempers much interest from the enthusiast market too.

That said, a well sorted N* is much more refined, smoother, powerful and efficient than anything that came in the Town Car. I really enjoy mine, and even at 15 years old, it still feels/drives very modern.

Ah, I love reading stuff like this here. So interesting

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8170 on: January 13, 2023, 03:31:24 pm »

Ah, I love reading stuff like this here. So interesting

:cheers:

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8171 on: January 17, 2023, 02:21:15 pm »

Online WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8172 on: January 17, 2023, 03:20:42 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8173 on: January 17, 2023, 03:26:01 pm »
We have a similar one locally that's been turned into a restaurant and seating area for a fish and chips place.

We call it "The Perch Bus"

Online WP v3.32

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-18
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Ram 1500 Classic, 2014 Highlander Hybrid
« Reply #8174 on: January 17, 2023, 03:33:07 pm »
it would make an awesome camper

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #8175 on: January 18, 2023, 09:18:17 am »
When was the last time anyone saw one of these? 1989 Cutlass Calais "International Series" with the Quad 4 and a manual. Always thought the "International Series" name was kind of funny.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1989-oldsmobile-cutlass-calais-international/

« Last Edit: January 18, 2023, 09:56:25 am by OliverD »

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #8176 on: January 18, 2023, 09:34:16 am »
Wow, that's definitely an oddity.

Online Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8177 on: January 18, 2023, 10:27:26 am »
Wow. That is pretty cool and great shape. Seems to be idling a little high.

Online Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #8178 on: January 18, 2023, 07:03:14 pm »
 I notice the aftermarket water temp guage. There is a factory one in the dash. I wonder if the original  engine was replaced because it overheated. ;)

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #8179 on: January 18, 2023, 07:17:06 pm »
I notice the aftermarket water temp guage. There is a factory one in the dash. I wonder if the original  engine was replaced because it overheated. ;)

The one on the dash shows that it's overheating now  :run: