Author Topic: Found On The Internet - II  (Read 1436401 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
Re: Found On The Internet - II
« Reply #7460 on: December 06, 2021, 08:17:01 pm »
Wow. Good basis for a project car if you want something to mod.

I'd say "yes" if it had the 5.0

But this is a 4.6 car.  So hard pass.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline valuator

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #7461 on: December 08, 2021, 12:58:17 pm »

I need to do more research, but I thought 5.0 was the unreliable one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7462 on: December 08, 2021, 03:02:28 pm »

I need to do more research, but I thought 5.0 was the unreliable one.
If we're modding, the 5.0 is up, stock, 100hp over the 4.6

It's a better starting point.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #7463 on: December 08, 2021, 04:30:03 pm »
The first time I recall hearing The Guess Who was October 1969 - a couple months before my 7th birthday - while visiting my Grandmother's farm.  My uncle offered to take my brother and I for a ride in his 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible (black with red interior) to a local store.  My Mom said okay but warned him to be careful.  The next thing I know, we're blasting down a gravel road at 70 mph, top down, with "Of A Dropping Pin" by The Guess Who blasting from the 8 track player.  I've been a fan of the band ever since.  A moment in time I will never forget

1963 Ford Galaxie 500XL Convertible 390 4-Speed

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #7464 on: December 08, 2021, 08:23:20 pm »
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7465 on: December 08, 2021, 08:32:03 pm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7466 on: December 08, 2021, 08:34:06 pm »
Who says tracks have to be expensive...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-snowmobile/winnipeg/honda-c-r-v-with-tracks/1597530971

Not going to lie ... that is awesome!

I saw a Smart car with something similar!

Would be a hoot!!

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #7467 on: December 09, 2021, 09:04:50 am »
The first time I recall hearing The Guess Who was October 1969 - a couple months before my 7th birthday - while visiting my Grandmother's farm.  My uncle offered to take my brother and I for a ride in his 1963 Ford Galaxie 500 convertible (black with red interior) to a local store.  My Mom said okay but warned him to be careful.  The next thing I know, we're blasting down a gravel road at 70 mph, top down, with "Of A Dropping Pin" by The Guess Who blasting from the 8 track player.  I've been a fan of the band ever since.  A moment in time I will never forget

Now that's a nice way to put a memory into an impressionable young mind.  :thumbup:

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #7468 on: December 09, 2021, 09:09:54 am »

Now that's a nice way to put a memory into an impressionable young mind.  :thumbup:

In grade 8 my friend's older brother had a bright red '66 Galaxie with a healthy 390 and a 4-speed.  He was 17 at the time and knew more about Fords than most mechanics.  Great car.
Mr Pickypants

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +111/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7469 on: December 12, 2021, 06:13:21 pm »
I don't really know much about this vehicle but it is appealing, especially with the colour choices.  When I think about buying a "classic" car I always gravitate to GT or cruisers.  I find if you want performance it's pretty hard to beat modern vehicles.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1997-lexus-sc400-6/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7470 on: December 12, 2021, 06:24:51 pm »
I don't really know much about this vehicle but it is appealing, especially with the colour choices.  When I think about buying a "classic" car I always gravitate to GT or cruisers.  I find if you want performance it's pretty hard to beat modern vehicles.

Spectacular car and will surely outlive you.

Built like a tank. You should see the door hinges on these.

Great car!

EDIT: Enjoy learning about the door hinges!

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a1812681/adding-complexity-articulated-door-hinges-lexus-sc/
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:26:34 pm by rrocket »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #7471 on: December 12, 2021, 06:34:07 pm »

Great car!

https://www.autoweek.com/car-life/classic-cars/a1812681/adding-complexity-articulated-door-hinges-lexus-sc/
How did I know you'd be the first to respond to this post.  Hmmm, I'll be keeping an eye on this to see where it ends up.  But I agree, it's a fantastic car.  I'm sure that V8 is buttery smooth and an excellent cruiser.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7472 on: December 12, 2021, 06:42:34 pm »

Great car!

How did I know you'd be the first to respond to this post.  Hmmm, I'll be keeping an eye on this to see where it ends up.  But I agree, it's a fantastic car.  I'm sure that V8 is buttery smooth and an excellent cruiser.
97 is the year you want, too. It got more hp (290) and got the 5 speed.

SC was Import Car of the Year (they used to be separate COTY and Import COTY) and was on the 10 Best List for like 5 years.

It's a beautiful design and a lovely car to own and drive. And it shares much of the platform and suspension with the legendary Supra.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7473 on: December 12, 2021, 06:45:20 pm »

Great car!

SC was Import Car of the Year (they used to be separate COTY and Import COTY) and was on the 10 Best List for like 5 years.

It's a beautiful design and a lovely car to own and drive. And it shares much of the platform and suspension with the legendary Supra.
Man, sounds like you might be trying to justify a bid on this beauty.  I mean Christmas is coming and a big birthday too.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7474 on: December 12, 2021, 06:50:35 pm »

Great car!

Man, sounds like you might be trying to justify a bid on this beauty.  I mean Christmas is coming and a big birthday too.
I looked for one for awhile.

But it was hard to find lovingly owned examples. And finding a 97 in Canada was near impossible.

Some people buy SC300s (2JZ powered) and do full Supra on them!

I actually used the rear gearset from an SC300 on my Supra as it was a 4.27 compared to my 3.77
« Last Edit: December 12, 2021, 06:53:37 pm by rrocket »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7475 on: December 12, 2021, 07:00:36 pm »

Great car!

But it was hard to find lovingly owned examples. And finding a 97 in Canada was near impossible.

I actually used the rear gearset from an SC300 on my Supra as it was a 4.27 compared to my 3.77
Well I seem to have found you your unicorn.  Likely a lot cheaper than an LC500 or new IS500.  Having that rare Boxster and this 90's Lexus would be a pretty exceptional combination.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7476 on: December 12, 2021, 07:13:31 pm »

Great car!

Well I seem to have found you your unicorn.  Likely a lot cheaper than an LC500 or new IS500.  Having that rare Boxster and this 90's Lexus would be a pretty exceptional combination.

We already have a rare Lexus in the garage! One with a manual!

You could also get the SC300 in a manual...super rare though.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #7477 on: December 12, 2021, 08:08:26 pm »
SC400 has always been my favorite Lexus, gorgeous styling, comfy, but still fun dynamically, 90's Lexus reliability, can't go wrong. I knew a dancer (yes, that kind) in the late 2000's that drove one of these in pearl white. I recall it being pretty high mileage, and she ran the crap out of it, but the car still carried a certain elegance to it...It was very well suited to this particular girl. Last I saw it, probably around 2012 or so, it was still rust free and ran/drove well, seats and interior were still in good shape too. The cool LED (?) backlit gauges were acting up, and it had some battle scars here and there, but still nice overall.   

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-769
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #7478 on: December 13, 2021, 06:40:10 am »
I remember the teaser ads in car magazines in 1991 that showed just the headlight of the SC400. Back then you basically had to wait for cars to show up in magazines to get your first look at them and the SC was truly stunning when it debuted. I've always wanted one. Locally there was one for years that was eventually replaced by a Solara - a definite downgrade.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #7479 on: December 13, 2021, 10:59:57 pm »
You don’t find these things beat up for $5k very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk