Author Topic: Found On The Internet - II  (Read 1438671 times)

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
Re: Found On The Internet - II
« Reply #3340 on: June 18, 2018, 08:12:33 am »
Found it's sister in Ontario...but, with the whole tri-power thing I guess therein lies the difference in price.  Looks like if one was in the market and had squander-able cash, the US is still the place to buy.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/markham-york-region/1969-corvette-stingray-tri-power/1363212801?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
1969 Corvette Stingray Tri-power $63,750 (Cdn)

Good thing cheaper small block cars can still be found.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/oshawa-durham-region/1971-corvette/1363582972?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
1971 for $18,000 - even with finishing you're nowhere near $60 bills.  Most important piece(s) is the chrome front and rear bumpers.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7211
    • View Profile
« Reply #3341 on: June 18, 2018, 08:58:32 am »
That doesn't quite look like Ontario Orange IMO...at least not that I recall. A co-worker had a 71 in orange.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3342 on: June 18, 2018, 09:21:56 am »
I'd like a z06 in white...unicorn though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3343 on: June 18, 2018, 09:49:54 am »
I'd like a z06 in white...unicorn though.

Was that a US only color back then. I recall thinking that was the case for the C5 and C6?
I dunno to be honest...I've seen ONE in my life.

The next rarest color I've seen only one was a C5 FRC in Fairway Green.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3344 on: June 18, 2018, 06:11:45 pm »
With a C3 Corvette, I think it really depends on what you want to do with it.  The more rare 427 engine'd cars can be quite collectible, though prices have bounced around.  The unicorn L88 of course will fetch enormous money, but the easier to find L89 will still set you back at least $100K or so, but even the L89 cars have gone up and down $50K or more over the last few years.  They're not a "gimme" investment.  Buying a $40K L36 might seem like a good alternative but really, it's a hard market to try to predict.  I'd only expect to not lose money on one, and if I made some, then bonus.  BUT, you have to keep it, and keep it original and not add a lot of mileage.

I'd rather buy a small block car that I could build myself and have a ton of fun with.  Either swap a big block into it, build out a screamer small block, or maybe a slight resto-mod approach with a modern crate engine.  They're not big cars, but the engine bay is actually pretty accepting of a lot of cool engines.

The C3's IRS is okay, but hot rodders stayed away from it for a long time as you were just stuck with it.  There's now some sweet modding support that solves the "not really completely IRS" and camber issues of the Corvette's rear suspension.  These can actually be turned into fine handling cars for not a ton of money.

There's kits to easily fit a Tremec if you're looking to move away from the old four speeds.  The old Muncie M-22 can hold a lot of power, but if you're buying one and making it new, you're spending a lot of money for a four speed.  Expect to drop at least $2K just for a trans and then start rebuilding it, and if someone is selling a set-up and fresh M22 for $2K, they're lying.  It won't be hard to end up into the trans for $4K.  For $5500 or so you can buy a fresh T600 with all the hardware to bolt into a C3.

I figure if I found a $20K great shape small block car (not numbers matching, etc) with a stick, sold off the driveline, and then started from scratch, I could build a seriously fast C3 for $35K.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #3345 on: June 18, 2018, 06:43:19 pm »
Found it's sister in Ontario...but, with the whole tri-power thing I guess therein lies the difference in price.  Looks like if one was in the market and had squander-able cash, the US is still the place to buy.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/markham-york-region/1969-corvette-stingray-tri-power/1363212801?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
1969 Corvette Stingray Tri-power $63,750 (Cdn)

The red line tires look just right.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #3346 on: June 20, 2018, 10:00:18 am »
Sweeeeeet.

1987 Chrysler 5th Avenue-One Owner-17,000 MILES!!!! - $4000
https://milwaukee.craigslist.org/cto/d/chrysler-5th-avenue-one/6609454596.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: June 20, 2018, 10:01:40 am »
^^^^ No Corinthian leather, no care! :)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #3348 on: June 20, 2018, 10:22:25 am »
^^^^ No Corinthian leather, no care! :)

There's leather, though, and that's close enough.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3349 on: June 20, 2018, 10:56:39 am »
With a C3 Corvette, I think it really depends on what you want to do with it.  The more rare 427 engine'd cars can be quite collectible, though prices have bounced around.  The unicorn L88 of course will fetch enormous money, but the easier to find L89 will still set you back at least $100K or so, but even the L89 cars have gone up and down $50K or more over the last few years.  They're not a "gimme" investment.  Buying a $40K L36 might seem like a good alternative but really, it's a hard market to try to predict.  I'd only expect to not lose money on one, and if I made some, then bonus.  BUT, you have to keep it, and keep it original and not add a lot of mileage.

I'd rather buy a small block car that I could build myself and have a ton of fun with.  Either swap a big block into it, build out a screamer small block, or maybe a slight resto-mod approach with a modern crate engine.  They're not big cars, but the engine bay is actually pretty accepting of a lot of cool engines.

The C3's IRS is okay, but hot rodders stayed away from it for a long time as you were just stuck with it.  There's now some sweet modding support that solves the "not really completely IRS" and camber issues of the Corvette's rear suspension.  These can actually be turned into fine handling cars for not a ton of money.

There's kits to easily fit a Tremec if you're looking to move away from the old four speeds.  The old Muncie M-22 can hold a lot of power, but if you're buying one and making it new, you're spending a lot of money for a four speed.  Expect to drop at least $2K just for a trans and then start rebuilding it, and if someone is selling a set-up and fresh M22 for $2K, they're lying.  It won't be hard to end up into the trans for $4K.  For $5500 or so you can buy a fresh T600 with all the hardware to bolt into a C3.

I figure if I found a $20K great shape small block car (not numbers matching, etc) with a stick, sold off the driveline, and then started from scratch, I could build a seriously fast C3 for $35K.

I'd buy a C3 that needs some work and throw in a GM crate engine. LS7 - I think you can still get it as a crate.

An LS3 would do the trick  ;D
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: June 20, 2018, 11:08:45 am »

I'd buy a C3 that needs some work and throw in a GM crate engine. LS7 - I think you can still get it as a crate.

Just building the stock engine with quality components would work very well.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3351 on: June 20, 2018, 11:10:33 am »
Any modern crate engine would be pretty sweet.  The LS7 of course has the distinction of being 427 cubic inches, so it kinda keeps with the history of the C3.  It's a pretty pricey engine, but it also makes 505hp with ease and is ridiculously strong.

GM is selling a limited run of the LS9 ZR-1 engines for $21K USD.  Are we organizing a group buy?

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #3352 on: June 20, 2018, 11:10:38 am »

A fuel injected LS3 would give you decent fuel economy while putting down plenty of power is my thought [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Online Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3353 on: June 20, 2018, 11:14:30 am »

A fuel injected LS3 would give you decent fuel economy while putting down plenty of power is my thought [emoji3]

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Exactly...and carbs are of the suck!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3354 on: June 20, 2018, 11:15:52 am »
ZZ427 crate. Kinda, sorta historical, for a C3.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3355 on: June 20, 2018, 11:32:11 am »
I love me some good C3's; but that market has been in the toilet for awhile now. Plenty of guys on kijiji looking for 15-20K for their rubber bumper small block cars, but I highly suspect nothing sells. Auction values, including eBay/BAT have been super cheap for what these are. Unless it's a concourse resto, or a super well preserved original car, with a #'s BB, 4-speed and full documentation they just don't bring any $$.

Pre 08/99 recession that was not the case and I did very well (in 2006 $) when I sold my 73 small block (auto) convertible. If I had that same car today I doubt I'd get what I sold it for then....

I keep thinking that the market will come back around, but it's yet to happen.

Last weekend there was a 73 numbers matching 454 (auto) up for sale about an hour from me. I got up early on Sunday, made the drive out there, cash in hand and found a very solid (super nice frame) and complete car; non-running (obvious to me that it wasn't getting fuel) but with a period-correct metal flake paint job and custom black/red velvet interior. Seller was anxious to move it so I talked him down well below $10k, but still ended up walking away.

It was a good buy, and would be a nice project for someone, but it's not for me. I probably could've got it running/driving, washed it and turned it to make 2-3K, but at that it's not worth the time/effort. Nor would it have been worth the cost to have it resprayed and or the time to re-do the hideous interior.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #3356 on: June 20, 2018, 12:49:08 pm »
Except for the colour, this is the exact model my Dad bought new when I was a 4 y.o. Matchbox collector:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-peugeot-504/

I suspect the bids will stay low. I'd be tempted if it was in VT, NH or ME.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3357 on: June 20, 2018, 12:57:49 pm »
I love me some good C3's; but that market has been in the toilet for awhile now. Plenty of guys on kijiji looking for 15-20K for their rubber bumper small block cars, but I highly suspect nothing sells. Auction values, including eBay/BAT have been super cheap for what these are. Unless it's a concourse resto, or a super well preserved original car, with a #'s BB, 4-speed and full documentation they just don't bring any $$.

Pre 08/99 recession that was not the case and I did very well (in 2006 $) when I sold my 73 small block (auto) convertible. If I had that same car today I doubt I'd get what I sold it for then....

I keep thinking that the market will come back around, but it's yet to happen.

Last weekend there was a 73 numbers matching 454 (auto) up for sale about an hour from me. I got up early on Sunday, made the drive out there, cash in hand and found a very solid (super nice frame) and complete car; non-running (obvious to me that it wasn't getting fuel) but with a period-correct metal flake paint job and custom black/red velvet interior. Seller was anxious to move it so I talked him down well below $10k, but still ended up walking away.

It was a good buy, and would be a nice project for someone, but it's not for me. I probably could've got it running/driving, washed it and turned it to make 2-3K, but at that it's not worth the time/effort. Nor would it have been worth the cost to have it resprayed and or the time to re-do the hideous interior.

At some point, cars from the 1970s might be attractive if only for nostalgia reasons. But they were such a step backwards in terms of performance, reliability and build quality compared to cars from the 1960s. It's the only period I can think of where the cars from the prior decade were just better.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1072
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3358 on: June 20, 2018, 02:02:29 pm »
I am actually really fond of the C3, anything pre '78 when they got the ugly bubble rear window. One day when I have more storage space I'll have a C3 in the permanent collection. I am partial to the converts, so a black/black chrome bumpered car would suit me fine....Or a '73/74 Convertible as long as it had the Silver interior:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
« Reply #3359 on: June 20, 2018, 02:13:41 pm »
One day when I have more storage space

Firm's collection once he has more storage space.