Author Topic: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI; Day 1  (Read 25547 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Day-by-Day Review: 2015 Volkswagen Passat TDI; Day 1
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2015, 10:17:49 am »
I was hoping to get into the 4′s, but this was impressive in the cool weather, which finally is warming up

I think you have to correct that statement, it does not feel any warmer  :rofl2:

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2015, 10:56:52 am »
The TDI Passat is no question a long haul champion; it’s comfortable, quiet and amazing on fuel.
I think this statement sums it up well, as is how I felt with the last gen Jetta:

You're not buying a Passat TDI because it's a Passat, you're buying it because of the Diesel engine, which promises better fuel economy.  While it does live up to its promise, I wish the vehicle, too, lived up to its premium name and pricetag.

I'd take this any day (with an HID retrofit ;D) over an Encore, but likely not over much else at this price.

Like Ford did with the Focus platform, eventually VW will bring its euroPassat to our shores and we will finally see a good vehicle.  I await that day, but it is not yet upon us.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2015, 11:41:43 am »
Wing's fuel results compare to other tests read elsewhere - for some reason, the Passat always seem to have better fuel economy than Golf & Jetta  ???

Could it be because of Urea treatment.  Up until model year 2015 Golf and Jetta diesels didn't have that while Passat did.  Can't remember if Golf and Jetta have that now with the updates.
Yes, the new diesel engines are inclusive of the urea treatment for North America. Easy to remember, because the Golf VII TDI loses the independent rear suspension because of it.....wasn't initially developed with the exhaust treatment in mind.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2015, 11:45:26 am »
The TDI Passat is no question a long haul champion; it’s comfortable, quiet and amazing on fuel.
I think this statement sums it up well, as is how I felt with the last gen Jetta:

You're not buying a Passat TDI because it's a Passat, you're buying it because of the Diesel engine, which promises better fuel economy.  While it does live up to its promise, I wish the vehicle, too, lived up to its premium name and pricetag.

I'd take this any day (with an HID retrofit ;D) over an Encore, but likely not over much else at this price.

Like Ford did with the Focus platform, eventually VW will bring its euroPassat to our shores and we will finally see a good vehicle.  I await that day, but it is not yet upon us.
I disagree about price tag. With the standard engine Passat is in line with the competition cost wise. Also Passat standard engine  is better than the competition too.
Bombastic

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2015, 12:04:00 pm »

I disagree about price tag. With the standard engine Passat is in line with the competition cost wise. Also Passat standard engine  is better than the competition too.
::)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2015, 12:08:49 pm »

What is with that smiley , at least he owns a car,   ;D and it is Passat , so he may have an idea of what he is writing about

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2015, 12:24:17 pm »
^ Not sure if number sign or hashtag.  :-\ ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2015, 12:58:07 pm »
What is with that smiley , at least he owns a car,   ;D and it is Passat , so he may have an idea of what he is writing about
Tested is a $37,000 diesel sedan, which is actually more expensive than the 3.6L V6 offering, which has not only more horsepower, but also more torque.  It is more expensive than almost all of its competitors, yet omits features like HIDs or automatic headlights.  There may be others.

Then comments as to the 'premium nature' of the standard engine are made.  If the premium is justifiable to him, that is fine, but to assert that it is "in line" cost-wise, while having a 'better' standard engine, is to agree that the car is, in fact, a premium.

James's comments do not support that assertion.  I can assert (I won't) that the Corolla is better than a Civic, but I have extensive use of one and not the other.

This Passat TDI is $2,000 more than the V6 Camry recently tested.  Hell, the Passat V6 would be ~$2,000 more than the V6 Camry recently tested.  How is it not priced at a premium?

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2015, 02:16:41 pm »
Tested is a $37,000 diesel sedan, which is actually more expensive than the 3.6L V6 offering, which has not only more horsepower, but also more torque.  It is more expensive than almost all of its competitors, yet omits features like HIDs or automatic headlights.  There may be others.

Then comments as to the 'premium nature' of the standard engine are made.  If the premium is justifiable to him, that is fine, but to assert that it is "in line" cost-wise, while having a 'better' standard engine, is to agree that the car is, in fact, a premium.

James's comments do not support that assertion.  I can assert (I won't) that the Corolla is better than a Civic, but I have extensive use of one and not the other.

This Passat TDI is $2,000 more than the V6 Camry recently tested.  Hell, the Passat V6 would be ~$2,000 more than the V6 Camry recently tested.  How is it not priced at a premium?

All Passats, even the base $24k ones have automatic headlights.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 06, 2015, 02:22:39 pm »
^ Not sure if number sign or hashtag.  :-\ ;D
What is a hashtag, I know hash is , but a tag ?
I am old school,
It is either number sign  or pound sign  ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: April 06, 2015, 02:23:03 pm »
"automatic" as you refer to them is kind of like the ones on my Forester.  If you leave the switch in the "Lowbeam active" position, the headlights are always on.  Once you remove the key, they will turn off.  That's not fully automatic and will burn through more headlights than properly automatic headlight functions would.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #91 on: April 06, 2015, 02:45:57 pm »
"automatic" as you refer to them is kind of like the ones on my Forester.  If you leave the switch in the "Lowbeam active" position, the headlights are always on.  Once you remove the key, they will turn off.  That's not fully automatic and will burn through more headlights than properly automatic headlight functions would.
i think that may be the old version of automatic headlights, in that they automatically turned off if you left them on...since all new cars (in Canada) have DRLs, automatic headlights generally means that a light sensor will be triggered when a set amount of "darkness" is detected, which will turn on your headlights and (maybe disable your DRLs)...some of the newest versions will even automatically switch from high beam to low beam if a forward sensor detects oncoming traffic.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #92 on: April 06, 2015, 03:51:02 pm »

Passat has Fully Automatic headlights.  Not auto off which I'm also familiar as I had a Forester and an STI that were like that. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: April 06, 2015, 04:04:53 pm »

Passat has Fully Automatic headlights.  Not auto off which I'm also familiar as I had a Forester and an STI that were like that.
I went back to the article to quote where James mentioned it and couldn't find it now.  Either it was changed, or more likely, I was mixed up between no HIDs on this Passat and the no auto HLs on the Jetta recently reviewed.

My bad.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: April 06, 2015, 04:06:05 pm »
It actually has the rain and light sensor (mentioned as "annoying non-available option" in the Jetta thread") and can be coded for rain sensing functionality as well with no parts needed. If you look carefully, this is mounted at the base of the rearview mirror against the windshield.

Most (properly advanced) cars incorporate both features into a keychain-sized sensor mounted against the windshield. Why VW chooses to disable a function that is already installed......I don't know.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #95 on: April 06, 2015, 10:12:29 pm »
There are auto-headlights.  But I found out tonight wow they suck

Offline jman72

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-5
  • petrolhead
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Golf GTI
« Reply #96 on: April 06, 2015, 11:20:52 pm »
Had one as a loaner a couple of years ago, and agree on the vague steering and floaty handling. VW made an Impala. Was so glad to get back in my GTI.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: April 06, 2015, 11:23:24 pm »
Had one as a loaner a couple of years ago, and agree on the vague steering and floaty handling. VW made an Impala. Was so glad to get back in my GTI.
You see them on the rental car queue as well, parked next to said Impalas. I passed when I was at the airport.

It's what Americans want.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: April 07, 2015, 09:51:44 am »
There are auto-headlights.  But I found out tonight wow they suck
Going back to the Sylvanias, I drove the RX yesterday where papa changed just one DRL (since the OEM burned out after 9 years...not bad).  They are, indeed, holy crap brighter.  I will be switching the headlights on the Corolla to those and hope to get more than just a few years out of them.  Even if I get the 2 years, I feel like it's worth $25/year to have brighter headlights.  Since I'm heading to Ithaca on Wednesday night, I'm really wanting some good illumination!

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #99 on: April 07, 2015, 10:19:10 am »

Why do you keep pointing to the TDI engine when I was specifically speaking about standard 1.8T engine? Did I say is a premium engine? I said is better than the standard engines of the competition. Why is premium? What is the definition of that? Can you show me in NUMBERS where a Passat with the standard engine is more expensive than a Camry?