Author Topic: Land Rover says diesel power coming to North American lineup  (Read 2501 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Land Rover says diesel power coming to North American lineup
« on: March 24, 2015, 02:19:00 pm »
Land Rover says diesel engine coming to 2016 Range Rover Sport
Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Land Rover says diesel power coming to North American lineup
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2015, 04:58:10 pm »
About bloody time!!!!  Now hopefully they will start offering it in the LR4 and Jaguar models.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Land Rover says diesel power coming to North American lineup
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2015, 06:05:42 pm »
Isn't this old news?

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2015, 09:38:25 am »
As much as I like diesel I don't know if someone who can afford a new Land Rover really desires a diesel here considering the difficultly of finding diesel in every gas station.
From my dealing most folks with a Land Rover and similar tend to do a company leases and have a company gas card. They're more about convenience than optimizing fuel economy or the added torque a diesel engine provides.
Winter diesel prices vs gasoline prices seem to be getting greater every year also. Offsetting the adding driving distance diesel fuel also provides as a savings.

N.B. - I noticed higher diesel uptake here seem to be buyers with some connection to Europe. Understandable considering diesel acceptance in Europe vs old N.A. view of black, dirty and smelly exhaust.

All anecdotal and observational of course.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 10:23:06 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2015, 09:46:03 am »
As much as I like diesel I don't know if someone who can afford a new Land Rover really desires a diesel here considering the difficultly of finding diesel in every gas station.
From my dealing most folks with a Land Rover tend to do a company lease and have a company gas card. They're more about convenience than optimizing fuel economy or the added torque a diesel engine provides.
I would not base it on your market / limited contact.

I know many people with LRs and RRs who most certainly would opt for diesel.  Diesel is available at plenty of stations in my market and because of the fuel efficiency gains, they would be visiting it less.

Offline paul246

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-21
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2015, 10:16:05 am »
Just wishing they would give us the Defender, in diesel guise of course.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2015, 10:32:49 am »

The Defender has gone!    They could not manage to make it meet the latest Euro regulations for crash worthyness and pedestrian protection.   I am sure there will be a new version sometime.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2015, 10:40:16 am »

The Defender has gone!    They could not manage to make it meet the latest Euro regulations for crash worthyness and pedestrian protection.   I am sure there will be a new version sometime.

I find this whole pedestrian protection thing a bit of a stretch. All vehicles impacts with pedestrians will lead to people losing. Impact prevention would be a better way to address this than body design.