Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs  (Read 38385 times)

Offline emg

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Civic, X1/9 (scrapped), Lancia HPE (sold), 2015 Forester 2.5i
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« Reply #80 on: March 23, 2015, 02:16:00 pm »
You didn't like the seats in the XT Touring, but you liked them in the 2.5i Touring?

...you realize they're the EXACT same seats, right?

Try looking through the window on both, and you'll immediately see that they're not the same seats, even without sitting in them.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #81 on: March 23, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »
You didn't like the seats in the XT Touring, but you liked them in the 2.5i Touring?

Try looking through the window on both, and you'll immediately see that they're not the same seats, even without sitting in them.
I've sat in both and confirm that they are, indeed, the same seats.  Mayhaps you saw two different colour options?

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #82 on: March 23, 2015, 04:34:55 pm »

I've sat in both and confirm that they are, indeed, the same seats.  Mayhaps you saw two different colour options?

According to the brochure I have, they are not the same.  2.5i Touring comes with Onyx Black Cloth or Platinum Grey Cloth depending on exterior colour while the 2.0XT Touring comes with Onyx Black Cloth with Sport Bolster.  So there is this "Sports Bolster" they talk about that is different and that could impact someones comfort, depending on how it is set up.

Not there yet for test drives but it will be something that will be assessed due to my poor back.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline emg

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Civic, X1/9 (scrapped), Lancia HPE (sold), 2015 Forester 2.5i
« Reply #83 on: March 23, 2015, 08:03:06 pm »
Yes. The XT Touring had 'sports seats' with some kind of plasticky fake leather effect. I'm not sure whether it was the 'sports' part or the fake leather that was uncomfortable, but it was pretty much a deal-breaker for us.

(I presume everyone here is talking about the Canadian Touring model, as I believe the US Touring models do both have leather seats)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2015, 12:23:08 am »
^ We aren't asking you for the chart.  We are asking the people that write the articles...

I thought NoTo writes all the articles now..?  ???

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2015, 10:01:58 am »
^ We aren't asking you for the chart.  We are asking the people that write the articles...

I thought NoTo writes all the articles now..?  ???
I write in the forums extensively (perhaps too much, apparently), but have never written an article published by Autos.ca or any other website.

I wrote a few articles in fulfilment of my Master's degree, but never any for 'funzies' or trivial cash that autos.ca pays ;D  (I wouldn't know how much they pay)

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2015, 10:15:19 am »
I wrote a few articles in fulfilment of my Master's degree, but never any for 'funzies' or trivial cash that autos.ca pays

Wow, way to make the writers love you...  ::)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2015, 10:26:59 am »
I wrote a few articles in fulfilment of my Master's degree, but never any for 'funzies' or trivial cash that autos.ca pays

Wow, way to make the writers love you...  ::)
It was written as a joke - they are often quoted as saying that automotive journalism is not a way to 'get rich' - I am just playing on that.  No ill-will, taunting or otherwise, from me.  I'm sure (...that I have no knowledge of its payroll) that autos.ca pays as well, if not better, than other auto websites!

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2015, 02:13:38 pm »

Offline neil

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-68
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 19, 2015, 07:14:55 pm »

a shame that an issue like the rattle in the jeep (think the glass in the back was the same initial cause of the glass issue in the front?... if so, just stupid to use that car as a tester... smart move jeep) is what caused so much of a problem... i'm sure it still would have finished in the bottom half due to no love for the drivetrain, but still...

If there was glass tucked into the cargo cover, I'd guess this example has been in a big hit.   

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #90 on: June 20, 2015, 11:05:16 am »
yeah, it was what i had thought as well... side impact that blew in a window, or a more serious rear one... definitely not a car that should be used to demonstrate the quality of their cars...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline DF

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2015, 03:12:42 am »
Wonder if Subaru has the engine head gasket oil/antifreeze leak problem fixed yet, otherwise you would be looking at taking care of it for at least 3 grand down the road. 

Offline DF

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2015, 03:16:25 am »
Is it just me or not...the turbine rim design should be unique on left and right to reflect the proper direction.    It just look weird aesthetically!

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2015, 01:56:24 pm »
 This Honda oinker could be, underneath, a Bentley..but it would never make up for it's really, seriously ugly ass..Barf..Jackie

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2015, 03:06:58 pm »
Wonder if Subaru has the engine head gasket oil/antifreeze leak problem fixed yet, otherwise you would be looking at taking care of it for at least 3 grand down the road.

Only about six years ago now.

Offline LoveToDrive

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3, 2014 Acura RDX
« Reply #95 on: June 23, 2015, 09:43:51 pm »
Funny, Car and Driver just ranked "every compact CUV made", and placed the CX-5 first, CRV second, and Rogue 13th !!

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #96 on: June 24, 2015, 07:13:01 am »
Funny, Car and Driver just ranked "every compact CUV made", and placed the CX-5 first, CRV second, and Rogue 13th !!

Why is that funny? Different reviewers will have different opinions. Just like you or me would.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #97 on: September 24, 2015, 03:10:35 pm »
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2015/09/which-small-suv-fares-best-in-the-snow/index.htm?loginMethod=auto

Consumer reports video published today demonstrating the relative prowess of the Forester, CR-V, and RAV4 in the snow.  Not surprisingly the results favour the Forester, but I was quite disappointed that CR didn't even mention the importance of using winter tires - even on an AWD vehicle.  They did a stopping distance test in the snow, where (duh!) all vehicles had stopping distances that were more than twice as long as on dry pavement.  Gee, maybe winter tires  are still kinda important, huh?

There's also no mention of what stock tires are on each vehicle.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 24, 2015, 03:31:58 pm »
From the article:
Vehicles reflect a complete system; their tires, stability control, and AWD setup determine how well they perform in snow.
I can understand why they do this...if you want better performance, equip the cars with winter tires.  The problem with instrumented testing with non-OEM equipment is that it's a variable that shoppers may not actually follow.  Not to mention that consumables, like tires, are not likely to be given for testing for "free" for the specific vehicles they have for testing.

We found that not all all-wheel-drive systems are created equal. Our judgments reflect our actual experience, but because there are variables in snow texture and density, consistent, repeatable tests were difficult to create.
At least there's some realism in setting out the validity of the test from the start...

I just found the text to be...well...useless.  The video is clearly the intention of the post.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #99 on: September 24, 2015, 03:34:32 pm »
^ Didn't read the article, but they didn't have any other major volume sellers like the Escape or GM twins to test?