Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs  (Read 38365 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« on: March 13, 2015, 06:30:28 am »

A lot can happen in a year.
Read More...

Offline superukr

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +17/-34
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 07:55:11 am »
man, but Honda is so ugly

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:16:58 am »
A neighbor just bought a new CR-V and I had to go check it out as I was interested in the refresh work after testing one out last year while shopping for my daughters CUV. I did not find that the CR-V needed it as I thought there was noting wrong with the previous design. I'm not a fan of latest styling but the interior is the nicest out of the bunch. Not as nice as the Tiguan tho  :). I guess to keep fresh a design cycle is two years now  ???

"As Noah stated"  " Noah found it" "Noah finding it"  :rofl2: all that hard work is paying off.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:24:37 am »
A neighbor just bought a new CR-V and I had to go check it out as I was interested in the refresh work after testing one out last year while shopping for my daughters CUV. I did not find that the CR-V needed it as I thought there was noting wrong with the previous design. I'm not a fan of latest styling but the interior is the nicest out of the bunch. Not as nice as the Tiguan tho  :). I guess to keep fresh a design cycle is two years now  ???

"As Noah stated"  " Noah found it" "Noah finding it"  :rofl2: all that hard work is paying off.

Noah is the most prolific commenter in our post-testing round-ups, although Laurance gives him a run for his money...

Count me in with anyone that finds the CR-V looking worse after this refresh - I do not like the led eyeliner or the strange arrangement of headlights and grille, and I don't see how others found it attractive... Just goes to show this isn't a styling contest, although personally I'd have a problem adding anything I found ugly to my initial consideration list.

For that reason and the family situation, the Santa Fe was my personal pick for a car I would take home.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jpd

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +8/-16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 08:28:32 am »
Good review!! I do like my CRV 2015, it is the best CRV so far!  To me the seats are very comfortable. The new engine and the CVT tranny are just great!  Just enough power for everybody needs!!

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 08:33:20 am »
Surprised the Mazda didn't win this one. The MZD connect infotainment is very easy to use (if you're a fan of iDrive or MMI), and overall they copied a lot of the features from what the European consumer demands. But to each his/her own, that's why there are so many choices.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline dbrebel

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Honda Civic Touring sedan
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 08:42:12 am »
A friend of mine got a 2015 CR-V EX-L and I had several opportunities to drive it and ride in it.  After experiencing the "not bad" CVT drivetrain on the 2013 Accord I-4 that I had, it's clear with the CR-V that Honda has worked all the bugs out of it.  It's smooth, quick to "downshift" and no droning or hanging at high revs at all.

I don't think that the touchscreen looks bad at all... anyone who contends that it looks like a Commodore 64 apparently has no idea what a Commodore 64 looks like.  Unless those remarks are aimed at the Nav screen... that I haven't seen.  But it shows considerable progress from the primitive touchscreen in my gen 9 Accord.  But if memory serves, the CR-V has a physical volume control to the left of the screen rather than a touch control.  Unless Canadian spec for this is different than US spec.  Worse though is the little screen up above... the difference in graphics quality between the 2 screens is so dramatic that they look like they belong in different cars.  I can certainly see applying the Commodore 64 comments to that screen.  I could see the little screen above if they split the functionality... perhaps have the top screen dedicated to gas mileage readouts and focus on audio control and displays on the bottom (along with Nav if so equipped).  And bump up the resolution on the top screen and make it look like the graphics on the bottom.

As for progress in this area, it sounds as if the new Pilot is going to go with Android Auto, so it should be a whole new game there.  I suspect that the refresh for the 2016 Accord will follow suit, along with the upcoming FMCs for Civic and CR-V.  So then it becomes a matter of how well designed Android Auto is.

The new front end styling is an improvement... sharper and more dynamic.  Too bad that there wasn't a quick fix for the rear profile, which retains its broken back look.  The drive is very nice as well.  Comparing it to the Accord that I mentioned, it's pretty similar except for the higher noise level (wind and road noise).  Overall though, a successful refresh IMO.  It's nice to see the refreshes amounting to more than just a slight grille change and a new color choice like before.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:57:13 am by dbrebel »

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 08:51:43 am »
"Being a half-size larger than most of these compacts, it [Sante Fe] was the undisputed champion of cargo space, handily beating out all the other contenders."

Not sure where this statement is sourced. It's incorrect as far as I can tell. The Santa Fe, with 71.5 cu. feet of cargo space, edges out the winner (70.9) and is much less than the Rav 4 (73.4). Considering the Hyundai's size and weight, its cargo space is only adequate. CRV definitely a justified winner. Buyers of compact SUVs want convenience, fuel economy, and cargo/passenger space, along with reliability. CRV delivers. Powertrain is now up to the high standards of Honda, including a CVT that has leap-frogged the competition. Looks and appearance, especially the rear quarter windows, need considerable work. AWD system, though not sophisticated, does the job well and probably doesn't deserve the flack it has received.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 08:54:30 am by pcsp »

Offline dbrebel

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Honda Civic Touring sedan
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2015, 09:03:58 am »
AWD system, though not sophisticated, does the job well and probably doesn't deserve the flack it has received.

The AWD system in this generation is a notable improvement.  The same friend that I mentioned in my previous post had a 2011 CR-V (prior to his 2015) which I drove in snow.  Not bad, but you can really notice the revision in the current generation that always provides power to the rear wheels when accelerating from a stop. Gives it much smoother starts in slippery conditions.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2015, 09:10:18 am »
AWD system, though not sophisticated, does the job well and probably doesn't deserve the flack it has received.

The AWD system in this generation is a notable improvement.  The same friend that I mentioned in my previous post had a 2011 CR-V (prior to his 2015) which I drove in snow.  Not bad, but you can really notice the revision in the current generation that always provides power to the rear wheels when accelerating from a stop. Gives it much smoother starts in slippery conditions.

Good feedback. Has to be said, Honda does an awesome job of model updates and revisions. Can't wait to see the new Ridgeline (and its updates).

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2015, 09:45:27 am »
"Being a half-size larger than most of these compacts, it [Sante Fe] was the undisputed champion of cargo space, handily beating out all the other contenders."

Not sure where this statement is sourced. It's incorrect as far as I can tell. The Santa Fe, with 71.5 cu. feet of cargo space, edges out the winner (70.9) and is much less than the Rav 4 (73.4). Considering the Hyundai's size and weight, its cargo space is only adequate. CRV definitely a justified winner. Buyers of compact SUVs want convenience, fuel economy, and cargo/passenger space, along with reliability. CRV delivers. Powertrain is now up to the high standards of Honda, including a CVT that has leap-frogged the competition. Looks and appearance, especially the rear quarter windows, need considerable work. AWD system, though not sophisticated, does the job well and probably doesn't deserve the flack it has received.
Maybe what they were saying is it performed the best in their hockey bag/stroller test.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2015, 09:46:47 am »
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned the Nissan Rogue coming in second.  To me that's the biggest surprise of the test.  Would have been nice if the article added what each reviewer would have bought with their own money, I always find that telling.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2015, 09:49:01 am »
^^ The placement of the Subie and Nissan was not what I expected, given it is a Canadian winter testing environment.

Honda CRVs are always great in this class.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2015, 10:10:24 am »
Only the Subaru Forester has a real AWD system and is offered with a manual transmission so #1 and the rest does not measure up. I drove the last years CRV and hated the low down car like feel and not knowing where the front end was when parallel parking.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2015, 10:14:29 am »
Surprised the Mazda didn't win this one. The MZD connect infotainment is very easy to use (if you're a fan of iDrive or MMI), and overall they copied a lot of the features from what the European consumer demands. But to each his/her own, that's why there are so many choices.

Main reason the CX-5 didn't place first is, about $1000-$2000 over priced.  And has less practicality than some of the others.  The rear seats don't recline, or slide.  There is no power liftgate.  If those issues were addressed, it would be 1st or 2nd.  I think it deserves it's spot, which is still respectable. 

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:16 am »
.."The Subie was ultimately bruised here by its lower trim level. As Noah stated, “Once you get into the Limited, it becomes a much, MUCH nicer place to be"

Hard not to agree that the difference between the base interior and Limited interiors are substantially different environments with most Subaru products.
I find the issue comes down to the base interiors of the Subaru, it fails to meet the feature and styling of some of the new offerings on the list here. Quality is there.
Another refresh taking into account 3 points could easily take the Forester to number one. 1) More standard features, More interior styling and a little more juice in the base 2.5L engine.
A D.I. engine may just be the answer here.
It seems that the difference between placing here has become fluffly. At the end of the day others on the list can't currently match the AWD established prowess that helps define an SUV.
What they seem do is make for a better packaged raised car.
Enter the Subbie fanboys.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 10:20:29 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #16 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:31 am »
Before I forget.  Very good comparo in a highly competitive segment, and one of the most popular.  I don't see a chart like in some of the other comparos?   

And were Laurance and Noah just around for testing purposes?  No reviews?

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #17 on: March 13, 2015, 10:17:55 am »
I'm kind of surprised no one has mentioned the Nissan Rogue coming in second.  To me that's the biggest surprise of the test.  Would have been nice if the article added what each reviewer would have bought with their own money, I always find that telling.

The Rogue is a really nice all around rig.  And that shelving set up in back very handy.  Comfortable & quiet, it would be my choice for a long road-trip ride.
These are my scribble notes from test day:

Rogue - limo ride of the group. Quiet & comfortable cruiser. Outward visibility a bit of an issue though. Good seats. Nice materials.  JUST ahead of the  CR-V (!!!) as my fave interior.  Clear, legible gauges except for the nav which i found a bit hard to read. Surprised how much I liked it in same way the Versa Note surprised me in the Subcompact Comparison test

If it was my own $$ i'd take the CRV, which i did not expect because i had pretty solid dislike for the CRV before.  The Rogue's value is compelling, but i prefer the drive of the Honda and would pony up the extra dough.  At least it now feels more like it is worth the price tag.

The one thing that stood out in this test was the vastly differing opinions on the RAV.  Leslie is a fan, but I really disliked it.  Was my least favourite drive of the 7. 
But... that's why the scraps and name calling after all the testing is done such fun  :P

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #18 on: March 13, 2015, 10:22:38 am »

Main reason the CX-5 didn't place first is, about $1000-$2000 over priced.  And has less practicality than some of the others.  The rear seats don't recline, or slide.  There is no power liftgate.  If those issues were addressed, it would be 1st or 2nd.  I think it deserves it's spot, which is still respectable.

Yes, price certainly hurt the cx5
I'd buy the CRV over the CX5.  The CRV's 2015 revisions are significant and transform the vehicle IMO.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« Reply #19 on: March 13, 2015, 10:31:27 am »
Regarding the Rogue, it certainly is a huge step up.  But I would stay away for a year or two as a few people I know have had issues that are major enough that required the vehicle to be towed in.