Author Topic: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs  (Read 38364 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« Reply #100 on: September 24, 2015, 03:41:28 pm »
^ Didn't read the article, but they didn't have any other major volume sellers like the Escape or GM twins to test?
After being graciously invited to help in these tests, one thing becomes very clear:

Not every test can be the proverbial sh!t in terms of being perfect, with no stone left unturned, and no questionable attributes.  "That one's too big."  "That one's a Juke."  "That one didn't have winter tires."  "That one's too expensive."

Having tried to get a press vehicle (rather unsuccessfully for several months now), I can assure you that booking the exact right cars to compare as ideally as the readers would like is impossible.

So, too, did CR's test as posted take a lot of time, planning, etc. all to show what we already know - winter tires are necessary.  But, it did show how the chassis will behave when there is limited traction, and it was fun to read/watch (sorta)....so, whatever, take these comparos at face value and always thank the writers for giving you something to read :)

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #101 on: September 24, 2015, 03:49:08 pm »
....so, whatever, take these comparos at face value and always thank the writers for giving you something to read :)

Especially for a CR reports article - most of them are hidden behind the paywall.  I was surprised this one was free.

As for my winter tires gripe, it's not that I expect CR to test the vehicles on winter tires after testing them on stock tires (that type of test would be more up a tire dealer's alley...hence who tire rack does those exact tests).  But I do expect CR to mention that when driving in snow/ice, actual winter tires are helpful (not just that "tires are part of the picture for overall vehicle performance").  The stopping distance test was an especially good time to work that little nugget in...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #102 on: September 24, 2015, 03:52:27 pm »
That should be the only way they test during the winter and they should have a big, red exclaimer at the beginning of every article, "PLEASE BUY AND USE WINTER TIRES TO GET FULL BENEFITS OUT OF YOUR AWD/4X4 VEHICLE!!!".
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 24, 2015, 03:54:36 pm »
....so, whatever, take these comparos at face value and always thank the writers for giving you something to read :)

Especially for a CR reports article - most of them are hidden behind the paywall.  I was surprised this one was free.

As for my winter tires gripe, it's not that I expect CR to test the vehicles on winter tires after testing them on stock tires (that type of test would be more up a tire dealer's alley...hence who tire rack does those exact tests).  But I do expect CR to mention that when driving in snow/ice, actual winter tires are helpful (not just that "tires are part of the picture for overall vehicle performance").  The stopping distance test was an especially good time to work that little nugget in...
Oh, then I fully agree - they could have worked the piece more into a "WE DO NOT RECOMMEND DRIVING EVEN THE EXCELLENT FORESTER IN THE WINTER SANS WINTER TIRES!"

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #104 on: September 24, 2015, 04:00:44 pm »
I would like a see a more concise breakdown of a 4x4 or AWD as advertised. Most of the systems mentioned here and part-time or slip a grip varietal

The 4x4 and AWD designation has become more of badge vs function.

The systems vary greatly and most do nothing but the bare minimum. As in engage front and rear drives from a standstill and cut off shortly after. Vehicles do more than just take off in a straight line.
Factor in turning in snow, rain, loose gravel etc and the slip and grip systems do nothing beyond their fwd counterparts but still get the designation 4x4 / AWD.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 24, 2015, 04:05:21 pm »
I would like a see a more concise breakdown of a 4x4 or AWD as advertised. Most of the systems mentioned here and part-time or slip a grip varietal

The systems vary greatly and most do nothing but the bare minimum. As in engage front and rear drives from a standstill and cut off shortly after. Vehicles do more than just take off in a straight line.
Factor in turning in snow, rain, loose gravel etc and the slip and grip systems do nothing beyond their fwd counterparts but still get the designation 4x4 / AWD.

So really the only vehicles that would get a passing grade would be actual 4x4 trucks and SUVs, Subarus, Quattros and the Acura SH-AWD.....slip and grip is not really comparable to a proper awd/4x4 system

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #106 on: September 24, 2015, 04:10:23 pm »

So really the only vehicles that would get a passing grade would be actual 4x4 trucks and SUVs, Subarus, Quattros and the Acura SH-AWD.....slip and grip is not really comparable to a proper awd/4x4 system

Now your talking. Most other pseudo systems spend more on the 4x4 and AWD badging than they do in mechanics.

I would include a few more in the passing grade. Mitsubishi s-awc and any system with torque vectoring.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:17:31 pm by redman »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 24, 2015, 04:16:16 pm »

Now your talking. Most other pseudo systems spend more on the 4x4 and AWD badging than they do in mechanics.

I would include a few more in the passing grade. Mitsubishi s-awc and any system with torque vectoring.

Yup, Mitsubishi as well. Im talking about same conditions, same tires and lets see who does better, a Forester or a CR-V, a Legacy vs a 200...that kind of thing, but it has to be side by side, same tires so no one can debate the validity of the results.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 24, 2015, 04:16:24 pm »
Don't forget Mitsu's AWC ;D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 24, 2015, 04:16:52 pm »
Yup, Mitsubishi as well.
Damn, you beat me to it :(

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 24, 2015, 04:18:20 pm »
Don't forget Mitsu's AWC ;D

I always forget that under the minivan-esque form of the Mitsu CUVs actually likes a decent drivetrain. Great legs, shame about the face.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #111 on: September 24, 2015, 04:22:43 pm »
Ugh - Toyota advertises that the new slip/grip is much more capable.  Hhhhmmm.  Still pales in comparison to the Subaru.

Hey, Toyota, you guys used to make wicked full time AWD systems.  What was wrong with that?  The system on my Highlander is right on the heels of Subaru.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 24, 2015, 04:24:45 pm »
Ugh - Toyota advertises that the new slip/grip is much more capable.  Hhhhmmm.  Still pales in comparison to the Subaru.

Hey, Toyota, you guys used to make wicked full time AWD systems.  What was wrong with that?  The system on my Highlander is right on the heels of Subaru.
I thought the older Rav4 systems were pretty good too werent they??

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #113 on: September 24, 2015, 04:41:38 pm »

I thought the older Rav4 systems were pretty good too werent they??

RAV had the full time system from 2001 to 2005.  It's good.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2015, 04:43:43 pm »
So this new fangled obsession with on demand systems, as far as I can tell its just a fuel mileage thing because beyond that, they offer no benefit over a real 4x4/awd system.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2015, 04:51:14 pm »
they offer no benefit over a real 4x4/awd system.

None.  And Subaru now proves that you can have comparable economy AND full time AWD.  Really, did I just write that Subaru has excellent economy?  How the world has changed!!

If I'm paying for AWD, I want AWD.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2015, 04:55:08 pm »
That really ticks me off when I see 4x4 on the back of CUVs that I know damn well do not have real 4x4. Isn't that false advertising??

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2015, 07:03:19 pm »
^ Didn't read the article, but they didn't have any other major volume sellers like the Escape or GM twins to test?
After being graciously invited to help in these tests, one thing becomes very clear:

Not every test can be the proverbial sh!t in terms of being perfect, with no stone left unturned, and no questionable attributes.  "That one's too big."  "That one's a Juke."  "That one didn't have winter tires."  "That one's too expensive."

Having tried to get a press vehicle (rather unsuccessfully for several months now), I can assure you that booking the exact right cars to compare as ideally as the readers would like is impossible.

So, too, did CR's test as posted take a lot of time, planning, etc. all to show what we already know - winter tires are necessary.  But, it did show how the chassis will behave when there is limited traction, and it was fun to read/watch (sorta)....so, whatever, take these comparos at face value and always thank the writers for giving you something to read :)

I still would think with CR budget, they could get more CUVs to test.  Look at the size of this little website.  Still decent comparo's here. 

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Comparison Test: Compact Crossover SUVs
« Reply #118 on: September 24, 2015, 11:56:32 pm »
These weak slip and grip systems should be called All Wheel Assist and not All Wheel Drive.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 25, 2015, 12:06:40 am »
This shows that the slip/grip can add a lot in terms of forward traction.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orysh1VuueU

What is lacking in this test is the significant advantage that full time AWD can give in cornering.  Put them on a slalom and I bet things would be very different.