Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta  (Read 7397 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta
« on: March 11, 2015, 06:30:27 am »

Above-average attention to dynamics helps define Ford's compact global superstars.
Read More...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
Re: First Drive: 2015 Ford Focus and Ford Fiesta
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2015, 08:09:24 am »
I think the two main complaints about the old Focus was the automatic and SYNC.  Hopefully they have finally sorted the automatic and we all know SYNC is getting better.  I think I prefer the Fiesta myself.  I've been at a rental place before and had the choice of either the Focus or the Fiesta and I'll always pick the Fiesta.  There's something about that car that is more fun to drive than the Focus.  If only the ST's seats weren't so damn narrow, I might have chose that over the Golf R.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2015, 08:46:19 am »
^agreed. The Fiesta is quite a hoot to drive, and at one point I was considering it myself. It's a cheery little car that's nonetheless comfortable and quite good on the autoroute. Had it a couple times as a week-long rental too and liked it quite a lot.

I actually had a late-build Ford Focus last year in March with the dual-clutch gearbox and it felt fine to me.......I don't really understand the complaints?
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2015, 09:47:37 am »
It's March already, how does Ford not have the 2015 Focus build & price up on their site yet??

Also, odd to limit the 1.0L to the sedan only, seems like an arbitrary decision.  I've always liked the new Focus, and I think the exterior is an improvement here too.  I also found the 5-speed to be decent as well, contrary to many journalists that called it a dinosaur.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2015, 10:12:36 am »
It's March already, how does Ford not have the 2015 Focus build & price up on their site yet??

Also, odd to limit the 1.0L to the sedan only, seems like an arbitrary decision.  I've always liked the new Focus, and I think the exterior is an improvement here too.  I also found the 5-speed to be decent as well, contrary to many journalists that called it a dinosaur.
I'm not 100% sure why they are limiting the 1.0L but remember that it's only offered in manual in both the Fiesta and Focus.  It could be because they only have a limited amount of the engines available as it's a big seller in Europe and probably China (just making a guess with China as they have policies in place to limit larger engines).  They could be using this engine to further up their MPG's for the US Gov targets.

Offline pcsp

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +38/-53
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Nissan Juke AWD (current), 2008 HHR SS (current), 1974 Mazda 929, Triumph TR6, VW Diesel PU, 1981 VW Cabriolet, 1987 Dodge Raider, etc.
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2015, 10:27:24 am »
"Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow". Not sure who said it (Jay Leno?), but it is still so true. Ford has discovered what BMW/MINI has also discovered - well engineered 3 cylinder engines with decent output and lots of torque are a hoot to drive. Good power, refined without losing an edge, reasonably quiet, and great on fuel. Another benefit is that the relatively reduced HP forces manufacturers to keep vehicle weight down.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2015, 10:34:06 am »
Nice duo from Ford.

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2015, 11:02:07 am »

I was thinking that too, they are half-way through the 2015 model year with most manufacturers at this point and they are just launching it??

Offline bluelines

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-23
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2015, 11:38:30 am »
Could be worse. BMW still has 2014 models on their build and price, even though the 2016s will shortly be all that dealers can order. They only just added the 2015 3 series touring to the configurator (nearly a year late), and it took them about six months after the 2015s of other models were released for them to be displayed on the site. Lots of the marketing depts in the Canadian offices for the big auto brands seem to be run on a "we'll get to it when we can" basis.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2015, 12:28:59 pm »
"Driving a slow car fast is more fun than driving a fast car slow". Not sure who said it (Jay Leno?), but it is still so true. Ford has discovered what BMW/MINI has also discovered - well engineered 3 cylinder engines with decent output and lots of torque are a hoot to drive. Good power, refined without losing an edge, reasonably quiet, and great on fuel. Another benefit is that the relatively reduced HP forces manufacturers to keep vehicle weight down.
I thought the guys on Top Gear said that.  I'm thinking it was James May.

Northernridge

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2015, 12:40:37 pm »
What's with the twofer? I thought you editor types are starving for content – you could have made this into two perfectly good reviews.  ;)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2015, 01:02:08 pm »
I really need to get into automotive journalism...this is way better than litigation.

Nice read, Pritch (yeah yeah, as always)!

We drove the 1.0T Fiesta in the recent subcompact Comparo in the snow and found it to be a stellar little engine, but the rest of the package couldn't compete well with the larger competition (literally, larger cars also in the 'sub'compact range).

The lights on the Focus never seemed well-integrated to me, but very functional.  I've always loved the handling of these two, and only complained about the flat seat bottom in the Fiesta.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2015, 02:30:49 pm »
I really need to get into automotive journalism...this is way better than litigation.

Once you hear about what it pays, you'll stay in litigation. The best compromise for most of us is to stick with the dayjob, and use what's left for the sideline. Now I have real fun trying to fit "sleep" in the schedule.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2015, 02:51:22 pm »
Was anything done about the Focus Hatchback's less than optimal trunk size?  It was one of the main things that stopped us from choosing it over the Mazda 3. 

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2015, 03:33:55 pm »
I have the last gen focus.

I really still like it a lot. I kinda prefer the older styling to the newer one, though the new one is still nice.

Reason for choosing it over fiesta: Price (focus worked out cheaper with discounts), and unavailability of a manual fiesta to test drive.

I now have slightly over 20000 km on the focus, and here are my thoughts:
Most things about the car are nice. I've gotten used to Sync. I like the low riding position, and stickshift setup (mostly). It has pretty good handling.
The local dealership is fantastic.
Some cons:
Fuel consumption. roughly 15% more than my dad's corolla, for a smaller car. However it's more powerful.
It's pretty tiny. Rear-seat room is tight.
Stickshift issues - sometimes hard to shift into 2nd gear. Had a drive with the service manager, and he said it's normal, and when I mentioned I was comparing it to the Corolla, he mentioned that Ford gearshifts aren't typically as smooth as japanese counterparts. This issue isn't omnipresent, and when it isn't present, the car shifts like a dream. I'm hoping it gets really bad before warranty period expires, but if it remains undetected, it's not the end of the world.

Overall, I'd buy the car again, however I'd probably likely consider used next time around.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2015, 08:47:13 am »

Once you hear about what it pays, you'll stay in litigation. The best compromise for most of us is to stick with the dayjob, and use what's left for the sideline. Now I have real fun trying to fit "sleep" in the schedule.
I don't doubt it, but the stress and the hours just aren't worth it.  I left the office last night at 11pm, and was back at 6am.  Heading down to court now, then mediation in the afternoon, and then the usual day-to-day work thereafter.  I don't expect to leave again until later than 11pm.  ...and compared to my buddies at bigger firms, I work 1/3 fewer hours than they do.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2015, 09:05:26 am »

I don't doubt it, but the stress and the hours just aren't worth it.  I left the office last night at 11pm, and was back at 6am.  Heading down to court now, then mediation in the afternoon, and then the usual day-to-day work thereafter.  I don't expect to leave again until later than 11pm.  ...and compared to my buddies at bigger firms, I work 1/3 fewer hours than they do.

As a lawyer, how do you like Saul Goodman?  ;D. I've been really liking that show...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2015, 09:09:05 am »

When I started out as a junior engineer in private practice, my hours were similar, except that I rarely left the office before midnight, and did weekend work. 20hr work days weren't unusual, and I even put in 24hrs a few times for special field projects I was coordinating. Now that I'm older and wiser, and public sector, I put in a very intense 40 hr work week, and leave the now-free time to the wonderful world of cars. Burn the midnight oil while you can, and reap the rewards later my friend  :)

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 09:12:24 am »

As a lawyer, how do you like Saul Goodman?  ;D. I've been really liking that show...

I've read the entire "Lincoln Lawyer" series by Michael Connelly. Well-researched, addictive, entertaining! Doctors and lawyers get all the attention - with all the ongoing corruption in my world, authors should look at the engineering world too for inspiration  ;D

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 09:14:56 am »
Was anything done about the Focus Hatchback's less than optimal trunk size?  It was one of the main things that stopped us from choosing it over the Mazda 3.

That's why I picked a Focus sedan over the hatch at the airport. The sedan's trunk easily took our two std suitcases, plus the carry-ons, camera bags, etc.

Pritch, is that a carry-on in your trunk pic? That's my main beef with hatchaback trunks - they're all about volume, when you need area.