Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Volkswagen Tiguan, 2009-2015  (Read 20482 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Volkswagen Tiguan, 2009-2015
« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2015, 03:24:57 pm »
Let's get over the perceived reliability problems already! 
No.

I don't have an issue with the US-made VWs.  I have a problem with the Meheecan-made ones that involve funding the Cartel to unblock shipments.

??? Well lets not stop there. Back in WWII VW helped Germany with the war effort. Might as well stop buying Hugo Boss as well.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2015, 03:28:52 pm »
??? Well lets not stop there. Back in WWII VW helped Germany with the war effort. Might as well stop buying Hugo Boss as well.
Historical vs Current.

German manufacturing history as it relates to prior wars does not even remotely come to mind when buying a new vehicle.

Where MY money directly goes does sway my opinion.

Offline MJMontreal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-19
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Elantra GT, 2011 Yaris Previous: 2007 Caliber, 2005 Echo HB, 2003 Kia Rio, 2003 Focus, 2001 Jetta TDI, 1992 Golf Diesel
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2015, 03:29:27 pm »
No.

I don't have an issue with the US-made VWs.  I have a problem with the Meheecan-made ones that involve funding the Cartel to unblock shipments.

I thought their Puebla plant was state of the art. Is your comment based on fact or on a perceived notion about "Meheecans"?

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2015, 04:07:25 pm »
my point.... even now, while I think in general, most ownership experiences are good.... there are still some horror stories which make me really reluctant to get a VW.

While true I'm sure you can find a horror story for every car made. Well except for the Toyota truck of course. Can't kill those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uLJitPWAXM

That video never gets old.

true enough.... and I'd put my cash into another VW well before Fiat again!!!   ;)

Offline bensonc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Venza AWD
« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2015, 06:07:50 pm »
...that a 2006 Audi is prone to a catastrophic engine failure and a difficult repair/preventative maintenance schedule to avoid it is sufficient for me to be weary of VW's build quality.

Care to elaborate on this?

You must have the wrong tools then...  :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2015, 10:21:08 am »
No.

I don't remember you citing a source for this when I asked about it last time.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2015, 10:25:00 am »
my point.... even now, while I think in general, most ownership experiences are good.... there are still some horror stories which make me really reluctant to get a VW.

While true I'm sure you can find a horror story for every car made. Well except for the Toyota truck of course. Can't kill those things.

true enough.... and I'd put my cash into another VW well before Fiat again!!!   ;)

Thats not exactly saying a lot.....kind of like saying that Power Fist tools are better than Jobmate.....
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #47 on: March 09, 2015, 10:57:28 am »

Thats not exactly saying a lot.....kind of like saying that Power Fist tools are better than Jobmate.....

but you get nice interior out of VW at the least....   Fiat, what's it got other than utter utter shitty reliability, cutesy but forgettable looks, crappy interior,...    fact that Fiat owns Chrysler and Ferrari?

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2015, 11:21:59 am »
...and I was specifically referring to the discussion here:
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=92183.msg1086478#msg1086478

So you wouldn't buy an A4 because of that generation of S4.  :think:
It's a matter of trust.  No doubt the least reliable manufacturer makes some components, or even whole vehicles, that tend to outlast those made by the said-to-be 'bulletproof' manufacturers.

While I believe my RX400h to be 'bulletproof' at 9 years old, I am thoroughly unimpressed by my current Corolla at 4 years.  This is despite the fact that no major components have failed in the 'rolla.  I am concluding that Toyota's newer products as less reliable than the older ones. I also attribute this to location of manufacture (Cambridge vs somewhere-in-Japan).

On that basis, Audi's failures have not been 'minor', but catastrophic in nature.  That's on the higher-end models as well, which concerns me.  I would be thinking over and over again about 'reliability' before dropping serious cash on a VW group product.

If, on the other hand, 5-8 years from now, I read of no massive recalls or failures, I would again look to them.

...much in the same way that I was, prior to the 1.6T, willing to look at Ford again, and I am considering a Buick.

...and much like all your comments, if VW did indeed turn itself around in 2008, then in 2017 or 2018 I will review everything and consider again.
Seriously , you think Cambridge is a shitty plant Seriously
http://kitchener.ctvnews.ca/cambridge-toyota-plant-named-world-s-best-for-production-quality-1.1876938

Offline irREV

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
  • What do you mean what do I mean?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 CX-5, '10 Miata, '11 Avalanche
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2015, 12:36:04 pm »
We have a 2012 Tiguan Comfortline with 4 Motion and tech package, bought almost 3 years ago...test drove many of the usual suspects (CX-5, RAV-4, Forester) before deciding on the Tiguan.   Ours now has 45,000kms on it, and has been flawless, except for a persistent sunroof rattle in cold weather. Thoroughly enjoy the whole driving experience, as it is very comfortable for both long-distance cruising and local trips. 

Both that driving experience (combination of taut handling and supple ride) and the interior materials/quality are far superior to anything in its class except perhaps the CX-5...the Forester, CRV and RAV4 are a total snoozefest compared to the Tiguan. Yes, it requires premium fuel, and yes it is pricier than the competition...but this is just another example of "you get what you pay for."  No regrets whatsoever.
Easily distracted by shiny objects.

New word of the month:
"ACCORDIONATED" [adj]:being able to drive and re-fold the map at the same time.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2015, 03:41:41 pm »
the Forester, CRV and RAV4 are a total snoozefest compared to the Tiguan.
I'm guessing you didn't testdrive the XT...we found the exact opposite and ended up buying the Forester XT at $5,000 less than the Tiguan.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2015, 07:56:03 pm »

Powerfist is higher grade disposable tools versus Jobmate.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2015, 08:13:03 pm »
You can get Jobmates at 90% OFF on boxing day tho.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2015, 08:46:41 pm »
We have a 2012 Tiguan Comfortline with 4 Motion and tech package, bought almost 3 years ago...test drove many of the usual suspects (CX-5, RAV-4, Forester) before deciding on the Tiguan.   Ours now has 45,000kms on it, and has been flawless, except for a persistent sunroof rattle in cold weather. Thoroughly enjoy the whole driving experience, as it is very comfortable for both long-distance cruising and local trips. 

Both that driving experience (combination of taut handling and supple ride) and the interior materials/quality are far superior to anything in its class except perhaps the CX-5...the Forester, CRV and RAV4 are a total snoozefest compared to the Tiguan. Yes, it requires premium fuel, and yes it is pricier than the competition...but this is just another example of "you get what you pay for."  No regrets whatsoever.

Most people just don't put a value on that but when shopping for my Daughter I was insisting on a Rav4, XV Crosstrek, or a CR-V then I drove the Tiguan and understood. The plus column outweighed the minus and that is what she bought.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: Used Vehicle Review: Volkswagen Tiguan, 2009-2015
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2015, 10:37:53 pm »

Powerfist is higher grade disposable tools versus Jobmate.

Why do you think I didnt use Mastercraft tools......for either of them.....

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline irREV

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-0
  • What do you mean what do I mean?
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 CX-5, '10 Miata, '11 Avalanche
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2015, 03:07:21 pm »
the Forester, CRV and RAV4 are a total snoozefest compared to the Tiguan.
I'm guessing you didn't test drive the XT...we found the exact opposite and ended up buying the Forester XT at $5,000 less than the Tiguan.

NoTo, you're quite right...I should have been clearer. We didn't test-drive the Forester XT when we were shopping seriously, but had done so previously.  When we got down to actually shopping, we test-drove only the regular NA (Touring) version of the Forester (since we had driven the XT on a prior occasion.)  But we did discuss the pricing on an XT...no way we could have saved $5K on an XT over what we paid for our mid-trim Tiguan...maybe $1,500 tops, equipping both the way we would have wanted them.  For that $1,500 difference, in our opinion the 2012 Tiguan was a superior all-round driving experience, and had a far superior interior (materials, controls & equipment) to the then-current (2012) XT.  Just another example of different strokes for different folks. 

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2015, 03:13:57 pm »
irRev, I agree depending on trims.

We first took out a 2.5i Touring and my lord did I want to run out of the dealership.  The saleswoman had to run after me to get me to even take the XT out for a drive.  Smart of her to do so - we were smitten.  The Limited vs Touring trim brings the Forester into the 21st century, and the turbo really kicks the power up.

Between Tiguan Comfortline + Sport Package and Forester 2.5i, I would take the Tiguan even if it were $3,000 more.

...but between Forester XT and Tiguan any-trim, the Forester was great.

The new one is a little too bloated for my liking, unfortunately, and they've lost me unless they make some good changes and soon.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #57 on: March 10, 2015, 10:51:34 pm »
Needs dots. I dunno. Black dots for infotainment systems are one thing, but not when you're dealing with engines and such.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2015, 12:12:25 am »
No.

You know I never figured NoTo as one for pet causes.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Scorchez

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Mazda 2 & 2012 Golf Wagon TDI
« Reply #59 on: September 15, 2015, 09:35:11 pm »
I always saw the Tiguan as a terrible choice. All the electrical gremlins and other reliability issues VW is known for, wrapped in styling just as dull and unappealing as a CR-V or Rav4.

::) Interesting considering it is a recommended by Consumer Reports.

Liar. I have a subscription to Consumer Reports and the only VW they recommend is the Golf.