Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Volkswagen Tiguan, 2009-2015  (Read 20480 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Volkswagen Tiguan, 2009-2015
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 12:36:25 pm »
I'm asking as a legit question, the popular belief is that VWs (and FGC in general!) are less reliable.  But why is that?  Because they are poorly engineered, or overly complicated?  Or poorly put together?   

I think it's a combination of overly complicated and over engineering.
In high school I drove a 1992 VW Jetta and my dad was a DIY guy...
I've never heard him curse so much when working on that Jetta.

A perfect example to me is the new Golf commercial which shows the rear view camera pop up from the VW emblem.   Pretty cool, but I doubt that'll work well in the winter, and how long before it breaks.

Thats where Im coming from. My buddy had all sorts of electrical issues with his Jetta, there was never a time where every gadget worked at the same time. For me, no thanks, Volkswagen or Audi will never be on my shopping list......which is a pity because I really like the A4  :(
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 12:43:27 pm »
I'm asking as a legit question, the popular belief is that VWs (and FGC in general!) are less reliable.  But why is that?  Because they are poorly engineered, or overly complicated?  Or poorly put together?   

A perfect example to me is the new Golf commercial which shows the rear view camera pop up from the VW emblem.   Pretty cool, but I doubt that'll work well in the winter, and how long before it breaks.

Thats where Im coming from. My buddy had all sorts of electrical issues with his Jetta, there was never a time where every gadget worked at the same time. For me, no thanks, Volkswagen or Audi will never be on my shopping list......which is a pity because I really like the A4  :(

How old was this Jetta? I really think VW has changed for the better. My 2009 and my SIL 2008 Golfs have been very reliable.  I don't think its fair to base a car today on something 10 or 20 years ago.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:17 pm »
It was a 2005 or 2006....so not ancient.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2015, 12:46:08 pm »
I think that is when VW made a big turn for the better. From what I've heard/read, 2008 forward is what you want.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2015, 12:47:08 pm »

mine is newer and I have nothing to report for now....

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2015, 01:05:11 pm »
...and I was specifically referring to the discussion here:
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=92183.msg1086478#msg1086478

So you wouldn't buy an A4 because of that generation of S4.  :think:
It's a matter of trust.  No doubt the least reliable manufacturer makes some components, or even whole vehicles, that tend to outlast those made by the said-to-be 'bulletproof' manufacturers.

While I believe my RX400h to be 'bulletproof' at 9 years old, I am thoroughly unimpressed by my current Corolla at 4 years.  This is despite the fact that no major components have failed in the 'rolla.  I am concluding that Toyota's newer products as less reliable than the older ones.  I also attribute this to location of manufacture (Cambridge vs somewhere-in-Japan).

On that basis, Audi's failures have not been 'minor', but catastrophic in nature.  That's on the higher-end models as well, which concerns me.  I would be thinking over and over again about 'reliability' before dropping serious cash on a VW group product.

If, on the other hand, 5-8 years from now, I read of no massive recalls or failures, I would again look to them.

...much in the same way that I was, prior to the 1.6T, willing to look at Ford again, and I am considering a Buick.

...and much like all your comments, if VW did indeed turn itself around in 2008, then in 2017 or 2018 I will review everything and consider again.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2015, 01:09:01 pm »

for me to be weary wary of VW's build quality.

No secretary to proof your posts?

;D
Who are you to say that I didn't mean that I'm made tired of VW's build quality ;)?

Yes, I meant wary, and no, I don't have a secretary to proofread my autos.ca posts.  JY said he won't do it unless I write full articles.

...and I was specifically referring to the discussion here:
http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=92183.msg1086478#msg1086478

Actually, I'm on vacation today, otherwise I would have beat jgx to the punch...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #27 on: March 05, 2015, 01:11:31 pm »
Yes, I meant wary, and no, I don't have a secretary to proofread my autos.ca posts.  JY said he won't do it unless I write full articles.

No one proofreads those either.   :P

What are you talking about? You guys do...  :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 05, 2015, 01:22:16 pm »
Actually, I'm on vacation today, otherwise I would have beat jgx to the punch...
Yeah, you work sooooo hard - who says you get vacation  >:(?

;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #29 on: March 05, 2015, 01:49:47 pm »
Actually that is a good solution because if the rearview camera isn't covered when not in use, it will accumulate road grime and salt and sand, thus rendering it ineffective when the driver actually needs it.

Then there's things like how the knobs work with the relative same level of resistance between the volume, tuning, and climate control knobs. It always strikes me as odd, for example, the Mazda 3 BM I have, the volume and iDrive knob have a crisp, clean feel but the climate automatic knobs are all mushy and the detents are far apart. But the Tiguan and BMWs we've had, have this issue ironed out.

Then there's the suspension tuning, much more stable and confidence-inspiring in evasive manoeuvers such as panic braking. The Tiguan, like other German-tuned cars, is good at handling sudden weight shifts fore/aft and side/side.

It's called details and efficient packaging. I mean, if it is not important to the buyer than it will go unnoticed, but folks like me notice and appreciate every little detail.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 03:07:41 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2015, 02:00:03 pm »
Let's get over the perceived reliability problems already!  The fact that VW models now manufactured in Mexico and the US seems to coincide with a big improvement in reliability and quality over the last six years or so.  Please do your research before bashing late model vehicles because of old problems that no longer exist. 

An example of a huge improvement is the 2012 to '15 Passats, which are now manufactured in the US.  Consumer Reports have this generation rated at much better than average.  The previous gens, imported from Germany, did well to get average.  Also the newer Jettas and Golfs are rated well, although admittedly less so with 2.0 TDI and TSI and DSG power trains.   The 2.5 engine seems to be as tough as proverbial nails and the new 1.8 TSI is very highly rated and certainly better liked. 

I am on my second VW (Golf and Passat).  Absolutely the most reliable cars I've owned.  Times, they are a changin!

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2015, 02:04:10 pm »

How old was this Jetta? I really think VW has changed for the better. My 2009 and my SIL 2008 Golfs have been very reliable.  I don't think its fair to base a car today on something 10 or 20 years ago.

I really think Volkswagens are totally hit or miss.
I've heard as many happy stories and horror stories.  But the horror stories are always pretty extreme in terms of let down. 

Back around 2000 (or so) I was handing around the VW dealership waiting for something to get fixed.
I started talking with this girl who worked there... telling her I was thinking of getting a new Golf.
She said, I wouldn't do that right now..... wait till the electronics get sorted out.   
I was shocked someone would come out and tell me that.... so I said, really?  what makes you say that?
there was a pause, she looked around and said, trust me, I deal with all the warranty work here.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2015, 02:05:20 pm »
Let's get over the perceived reliability problems already!  The fact that VW models now manufactured in Mexico and the US seems to coincide with a big improvement in reliability and quality over the last six years or so.  Please do your research before bashing late model vehicles because of old problems that no longer exist. 

An example of a huge improvement is the 2012 to '15 Passats, which are now manufactured in the US.  Consumer Reports have this generation rated at much better than average.  The previous gens, imported from Germany, did well to get average.  Also the newer Jettas and Golfs are rated well, although admittedly less so with 2.0 TDI and TSI and DSG power trains.   The 2.5 engine seems to be as tough as proverbial nails and the new 1.8 TSI is very highly rated and certainly better liked. 

I am on my second VW (Golf and Passat).  Absolutely the most reliable cars I've owned.  Times, they are a changin!

I would if I didn't keep hearing horror stories........   On even newer models. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 02:24:05 pm »
Back around 2000 (or so) I was handing around the VW dealership waiting for something to get fixed.

You know you are getting old when you start talking about things that happened 15 years ago just like they were yesterday ;)  :rofl2:

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #34 on: March 05, 2015, 02:32:53 pm »

You know you are getting old when you start talking about things that happened 15 years ago just like they were yesterday ;)  :rofl2:

But it feels like yesterday!  ;D

Its funny how 2000 feels like not to long ago, but 1995 seems like forever ago, at least to me.  Perceptions.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 05, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »
2000 vs 1995 ... ahead by a century

Funny, I have cars in both of those years.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 05, 2015, 02:44:22 pm »
Let's get over the perceived reliability problems already! 
No.

I don't have an issue with the US-made VWs.  I have a problem with the Meheecan-made ones that involve funding the Cartel to unblock shipments.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 05, 2015, 02:50:10 pm »

I do have a more "current" story...   :P
But I always remember that because I would have purchased a new VW that year. 

here's a more current one   ;)
3 years ago and client replaced her TRUSTY old Jetta (she owned it for 10 years!)
ZERO ISSUES.  LOVED IT..    So it was only logical to buy another Jetta.
that she did...  she didn't have the car for more than a week that it had to go back to the dealership.
I talked to her after she had it for 3 months and she said it's been in the shop more than she's had it herself.    She was at the point that she wish she didn't change her car and was getting ready to do whatever it took to get rid of this car.     I felt for her....

my point.... even now, while I think in general, most ownership experiences are good.... there are still some horror stories which make me really reluctant to get a VW.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 05, 2015, 03:06:51 pm »
my point.... even now, while I think in general, most ownership experiences are good.... there are still some horror stories which make me really reluctant to get a VW.

While true I'm sure you can find a horror story for every car made. Well except for the Toyota truck of course. Can't kill those things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5uLJitPWAXM

That video never gets old.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 05, 2015, 03:09:13 pm »
Tiguan.. bless you...
---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD