Author Topic: First Drive: 2016 Kia Sorento  (Read 8052 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2016 Kia Sorento
« on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:54 am »

Longer, Wider, Lower, Nicer.
Read More...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: First Drive: 2016 Kia Sorento
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 08:59:10 am »
A friend just bought a '15 LX Premium with the 2.4 but it looks like the equivalent model no longer exists.

The '16 definitely looks better inside and out.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:00:47 am »
From the article:

"The electrical steering still deadens much of the communication but directness is improved, and there are three modes, comfort, normal and sport, which offer a minor amount of improvement to the steering feel if you go looking for it. The difference between the three modes is akin to the difference between Pepsi and Coke. Your palate might be more sophisticated than mine."

"What does matter is that the system sounds good, and I’m not saying I shared the genius of Sir Mix-A-Lot with the entire village of Mont Tremblant, but the entire ski hill does now know what I like, and what I cannot lie about."

Great writing Jacob!  My litmus test for an entertaining car review - if I don't give a damn about the vehicle in the least, yet am smiling by the time I finish the review.  This is one of those articles. :)

So I'm assuing the size of the new Sorento is equivalent to the Pathfinder/Highlander/Santa Fe XL?  Or is there any substantial differences between them?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 11:03:25 am »
I'm a whore for features and would be attracted to the SX 2.0T at $42k, and although that's pricey, it's a relative steal compared to a Lexus RX (except as far as resale is concerned).  I think the Sorento is a GREAT car; EXCEPT the thick A-pillars.  Jacob, do you have an opinion on them?

Notable quotes from Jacob that made my boss realize I was reading online articles instead of working due to excessive chuckles/giggles:
For someone as easily distracted as me that’s a remarkable… SQUIRREL!
If you want this one to turn your Sorento into a dorrifftuu rally weapon on the winding snowy roads up to your cottage you’re out of luck.
At 5’6 and 80 kg I a: need to diet and b: could fit comfortably in the back row.
What does matter is that the system sounds good, and I’m not saying I shared the genius of Sir Mix-A-Lot with the entire village of Mont Tremblant, but the entire ski hill does now know what I like, and what I cannot lie about.

...and I didn't know that Kia makes alphanumeric engine displacements!  Neat!  I've always wanted a 2.O instead of a 2.0.
The 185 hp/178 lb-ft 2.4L naturally aspirated four cylinder remains the base engine for LX models only, while LX+ and up all get either the 2.OT or the 290 hp/252 lb-ft 3.6L V6.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2015, 12:30:01 pm by NoTo »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 11:17:42 am »
Great writing Jacob!  My litmus test for an entertaining car review - if I don't give a damn about the vehicle in the least, yet am smiling by the time I finish the review.  This is one of those articles. :)

I agree with SaskSpecV. Good stuff.

However, "Oh. My. God. Becky", guess which song is now stuck in my head?  ;D

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 11:22:41 am »
FYI,
The 185 hp/178 lb-ft 2.4L naturally aspirated four cylinder remains the base engine for LX models only, while LX+ and up all get either the 2.OT or the 290-hp/252 lb-ft 3.6L V6. With the V6 fitted the Sorento will tow up to 5,000 lb, with the 2.0T that figure drops to 3,500. The 2.4L which pretty much nobody will buy can only tow 2,000 lb.

Pretty sure it used the same 3.3L as the Santa FE XL, and not a 3.6L

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 11:24:47 am »
The dash looks like it came straight from a KIA Rio.  Other than that - not bad for a budget SUV.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 11:35:01 am »
FYI,
Pretty sure it used the same 3.3L as the Santa FE XL, and not a 3.6L

Yeah,  that's a typo. Says 3.3 in the next paragraph. I've edited this now. Cheers.

And cheers Sask etc for the kind words.I love entertaining people.   :) 

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 11:38:56 am »
The dash looks like it came straight from a KIA Rio.  Other than that - not bad for a budget SUV.

::)

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 11:49:28 am »
Thanks for including a bunch of pictures of all trims with differences in seats, dashboards, instrument panels, luggage area, wheels, foglights and other details instead of only focusing on the most expensive trim.

For a cheapskate like me, the sweet spot would be the 5 seat LX+ FWD with a good set of winter tires.  Too bad it doesn't come with the thicker door glass and is not available with the V6.

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 02:19:10 pm »
Well written article, personally I'm biased, I have a 2011 SX and am very happy.  The cars been great, good road manners, decent gas mileage, very comfortable seats.

I think the manufacturers look at cars and SUV's and say lets do a S, M, L with some adding an XS or an XL.  There is some line blurring but this I find is clearly a M SUV. The difference is most companies were making the large (ie Pilot, Pathfinder, 4Runner) and have been late getting to the M market.  I found the only true competitor to this is the Journey.

Personally, the A piller is not too large, its not often I'm looking at or it gets in the way.  All the pillers are on the large size, but thats the modern automobile design method.

At 42k, I don't think this is a budget SUV, especially with all the kit you get.  Some may deem it budget, just not me.

I cannot lie, I might have to cue up that particular tune on the way home.  Did you at least have a sheepish grin as everyone stares at you for playing the song? Was the next song by 2 Live Crew?   :rofl2:  Or do you go by Monsieur Noir while in Quebec?
Cheers
Woody

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 02:24:37 pm »

Personally, the A piller is not too large, its not often I'm looking at or it gets in the way.  All the pillers are on the large size, but thats the modern automobile design method.

At 42k, I don't think this is a budget SUV, especially with all the kit you get.  Some may deem it budget, just not me.

I cannot lie, I might have to cue up that particular tune on the way home.  Did you at least have a sheepish grin as everyone stares at you for playing the song? Was the next song by 2 Live Crew?   :rofl2:  Or do you go by Monsieur Noir while in Quebec?

The A pillar is thick, but they alll are now so I think I'm desensitized.
I had no sheepish grin, I was on the roof dancing like a champion. Work hard. Play hard.

:D

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 02:30:58 pm »
technically Kia went away ahead. I'm not so sure about the public perception - the resale value is still behind...But it compensates the inflated up front price!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2015, 10:00:18 pm »
A pleasing design. Its not earth shattering and riffs a few other designs (what car doesn't these days, though?), but overall its nice and the familial consistency with the Sedona lends credence to the idea that this is the "Kia look".

Side note I think Kia and Hyundai might have an interesting advantage when it comes to HMI/UI/infotainment design. Maybe there is something about the integration of the chaebols and expertise of Samsung/LG in these matters.

It will appeal to the hyper entitled millennial generation and their endless cell-phone usage I think.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2015, 10:23:27 pm »
Jacob, I'm curious to know how you think the ride of the new Sorento compares with the Santa Fe XL you drove at Christmas.  I have a 2013 SF XL and I find that the ride can be quite jarring over potholes, railroad tracks etc.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2015, 11:31:55 pm »
Jacob, I'm curious to know how you think the ride of the new Sorento compares with the Santa Fe XL you drove at Christmas.  I have a 2013 SF XL and I find that the ride can be quite jarring over potholes, railroad tracks etc.
i test drove a 2015 Santa Fe last fall and noticed the same thing.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline sacrat

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +21/-64
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Ford Escape Titanium; 2014 Ford Fusion Titanium AWD;2014 Hyundai Elantra GL ; 2012 Infiniti G37X
« Reply #16 on: March 03, 2015, 01:21:40 am »
Thanks for including a bunch of pictures of all trims with differences in seats, dashboards, instrument panels, luggage area, wheels, foglights and other details instead of only focusing on the most expensive trim.

For a cheapskate like me, the sweet spot would be the 5 seat LX+ FWD with a good set of winter tires.  Too bad it doesn't come with the thicker door glass and is not available with the V6.

Then it's not really the sweet spot if you'd miss those features. You gets what you pays fer....
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #17 on: March 03, 2015, 07:21:58 am »
Well written article, personally I'm biased, I have a 2011 SX and am very happy.  The cars been great, good road manners, decent gas mileage, very comfortable seats.

I think the manufacturers look at cars and SUV's and say lets do a S, M, L with some adding an XS or an XL.  There is some line blurring but this I find is clearly a M SUV. The difference is most companies were making the large (ie Pilot, Pathfinder, 4Runner) and have been late getting to the M market.  I found the only true competitor to this is the Journey.

Cheers
Woody
Isn't the 2016 a redesign?  So conceivably, the A-pillars could be larger than your 2011.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #18 on: March 03, 2015, 10:12:29 am »
This is a large heavy vehicle and the high fuel consumption reflects that.   Too big a foot print for me.

Offline Minou

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2018 Mazda 3 GS, 2016 Ford Edge SEL, 2016 Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2015, 12:00:04 pm »

Then it's not really the sweet spot if you'd miss those features. You gets what you pays fer....

But I wouldn't shell out 40+K for an SX and be forced to all the gizmos, pano roof and what not that I don't need/want.  At those prices, my money would go towards a Murano SL.