Author Topic: Audi's new supercar looks 'R8' to us  (Read 4394 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Audi's new supercar looks 'R8' to us
« on: February 26, 2015, 12:08:25 pm »
Audi to reveal new R8 in Geneva
Read More...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: Audi's new supercar looks 'R8' to us
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 12:12:31 pm »
 :drool: Glad Audi did not fack with the design much. It did not need a radical change.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 12:25:20 pm »
Still really does nothing for me from a looks standpoint.....its like if an accountant designed a super car.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 12:27:28 pm »
i don't think i like the look of new R8..  too angular.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 01:19:50 pm »
Still really does nothing for me from a looks standpoint.....its like if an accountant designed a super car.

Ha ha, that's my kinda car!

:rofl2:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 02:08:53 pm »
I like the current gen better.. for now.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 02:52:30 pm »
funny that you mention too angular aqua... i think too rounded! don't mind it, but doesn't get me all hot and bothered....

every time i put on the high beams i would be making "pew pew!" noises for the lasers... pretending to shoot all the cars out of my way...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 02:54:24 pm »

Looks all business.  Me likey.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 02:56:51 pm »

Looks all business.  Me likey.

This is what a supercar is to me, the Zonda:

Northernridge

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2015, 04:24:35 pm »

What? Didn't you just post a Maserati on the daily obsession thread?  ;)

Do Italian car makers even employ accountants?

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1200
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 05:42:08 pm »
This is the new R8 that caught my attention!

http://insideevs.com/official-audi-r8-e-tron-fitted-92-kwh-battery-range-listed-280-miles/

From Audi press release: Electrified: Audi R8 e-tron

The second generation of the Audi R8 forms the basis for two more models. Audi has made major engineering developments in its high-performance electric sports car, the R8 e-tron. The latest evolution of the vehicle takes up the multimaterial Audi Space Frame from the new series-production model.

The supporting structure was enhanced by a CFRP rear-section module comprising the luggage compartment. The walls of the CFRP luggage compartment well are corrugated. This way, in the event of a rear-end collision, more energy can be absorbed despite the reduced material weight.

Thanks to targeted modifications to the outer shell and on the wheels, the Audi R8 e‑tron achieves an aerodynamic drag coefficient (cd) value of 0.28. In terms of performance and range, the car enters entirely new dimensions.

The large T-shaped battery is structurally integrated into the center tunnel and behind the occupant cell – optimally positioned in the car. It supports the dynamics of the R8 e-tron with its low center of gravity. Audi produces the high-voltage battery itself, for the first time based on a newly developed lithium-ion technology which was specially conceived for a purely electric vehicle drive. In comparison to the first technology platform, the battery capacity has grown from 49 kWh to approximately 92 kWh. This progress was possible without changing the package.
R8 V10 Interior
R8 V10 Interior

The R8 e-tron achieves an electric range of 450 kilometers (279.6 mi) instead of a previous 215 kilometers (133.6 mi) with an energy density that has been increased from 84 Wh/kg to 154 Wh/kg and some other modifications to the car. The electrically powered high-performance sports car has the Combined Charging System (CCS) on board, which allows charging with direct and alternating current. Using this system, it is possible to fully charge the battery in significantly less than two hours.

The power is now twice 170 kW and the maximum torque twice 460 Nm (339.3 lb-ft). The R8 e-tron 2.0 accelerates from 0 to 100 km/h (62.1 mph) in 3.9 seconds on its way to an electronically restricted top speed of 210 km/h (130.5 mph) or 250 km/h (155.3 mph). Intelligent energy management and an electromechanical brake system enable high energy recuperation rates. Targeted torque vectoring – needs-based distribution of power transmission between the rear wheels – ensures maximum stability and dynamism.

Audi uses the electrical high-performance sports car primarily as a mobile high-tech laboratory. Accordingly, the findings from the R8 e-tron help in creating a vehicle with a sedan character. Upon customer request, the R8 e-tron will be available for order in 2015 as an electrically powered sports car in supreme hand-built quality.

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 06:03:01 pm »

What? Didn't you just post a Maserati on the daily obsession thread?  ;)

Do Italian car makers even employ accountants?

I may be an accountant, but I generally don't think like one.

I like the R8 for the fact it's easy to use daily, good performance, looks good, and is reliable. (NSX?)  Yes my head says it would be a great car.

But I would buy the Maserati instead.  Because, Maserati.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 10:05:58 am »
Looks GR8 to me.  I would R8 it as a V10/10!