Author Topic: Computer for video editing reccs  (Read 6012 times)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Re: Computer for video editing reccs
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2015, 04:25:24 pm »
The issue is he needs to upgrade everything though. Even if he gets the SSD + RAM sorted out....he's still stuck with an ancient CPU that will take forever to render.

Not sure if 16GB is necessary? Legitimately don't know. For most people its totally superfluous.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2015, 05:10:51 pm »
Check out memory express's refur units.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX55425

this laptop is not a bad price either, $379 for in i5 with 4gb ram

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX54157

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2015, 07:02:21 pm »
If video editing more ram is good because you can queue clips in it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Computer for video editing reccs
« Reply #23 on: February 16, 2015, 08:24:59 pm »
I actually had a video editing set up back in the day....And back then a RAID set up was almost mandatory. A quick search through video creation forums still shows many people think a RAID setup for video editing is a smart way to go....

Read up..tons of graphs..SirI will love this!

http://wolfcrow.com/blog/which-is-the-best-raid-level-for-video-editing-and-post-production-part-one-running-the-numbers/
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2015, 08:49:36 pm »

In the real world...PC hardware that is affordable for home use, the speed limit of a RAID set up is limited by the controller.  Which will be either PCI-E at the fastest and that will depend on how many channels the motherboard chipset supports or just the motherboard chipset itself...which works I guess I have never tried it.   I note his picture of a PCI-e  RAID add in card rather than the software raid available on home PCs nowadays. I note that a mid level Adaptec Raid SATA adapter costs more than  PJ was going to pay for his new PC

The author of the article suggests that the failure rate of 4TB 7200 rpm drives is 5%.  That seems a bit high to me although I suspect he is talking about cheap drives designed for home PCs and occasional backups.   If one was serious about this one would be using 10,000 rpm server drives designed to be hammered 24/7 for years or at least the drives that are rated for NAS boxes and continuous use.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350, 2024 Mazda CX90
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 08:56:14 pm »
Raid may have been necessary for fast read/write speeds before SSDs came along. For home use, an SSD work (scratch) disk and a mechanical drive for storage is probably a good solution.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 11:00:47 pm »
Dude was looking at a $350 machine and we're pointing him towards a RAID setup?

I thought about RAID and NAS boxes when upgrading my home server recently. Ended up skipping all that and just running a vanilla Windows 8 machine with DrivePool + CrashPlan. It was simply more cost effective and flexible for my needs (vanilla machine compared to consumer NAS boxes...let alone a proper bespoke RAID setup).

(my ISP has unlimited upload quota which makes endless backup feasible)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 11:08:34 pm by mmret »

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2015, 05:24:39 am »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solution/hard-drive-solutions-video-editing-studios

That link seems to be a much more sensible and balanced discussion than the previous one.

The question is:  What sort of video editing is PJ going to do?

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2015, 08:26:21 am »
Depending on what type of editing you're planning to do, a simple mac mini may do the job splendidly.
In any case you'll see a huge improvement from your current setup.

I thought about RAID and NAS boxes when upgrading my home server recently. Ended up skipping all that and just running a vanilla Windows 8 machine with DrivePool + CrashPlan. It was simply more cost effective and flexible for my needs (vanilla machine compared to consumer NAS boxes...let alone a proper bespoke RAID setup).

RAID IS NOT FOR BACKUPS.
I do know what you mean about crash plan, etc being very very competitive. I ended up with a WD MyCloud, even though we have 150MBPS down/30 up without limits. Not sure that was the best option, however.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2015, 09:56:22 am »
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/tips-and-solution/hard-drive-solutions-video-editing-studios

That link seems to be a much more sensible and balanced discussion than the previous one.

The question is:  What sort of video editing is PJ going to do?

Just basic action cam stuff. I'd like to edit down my longboarding, skiing etc videos down to a manageable viewing size. I understand Premiere Elements or the like would work for that.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2015, 12:02:09 am »
Depending on what type of editing you're planning to do, a simple mac mini may do the job splendidly.
In any case you'll see a huge improvement from your current setup.

RAID IS NOT FOR BACKUPS.
I do know what you mean about crash plan, etc being very very competitive. I ended up with a WD MyCloud, even though we have 150MBPS down/30 up without limits. Not sure that was the best option, however.

Benefit of Crashplan also you can set your own 448bit encryption key.

You have to paste that key into the app though! So they could always be secretly sending it over for, er, safekeeping. And you know. Terrorists.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2015, 02:01:06 am »
Regular spin disc hard drives are dirt cheap, easy to setup a net appliance or simple PC to do backup. Online clouds are great in idea, can't be the instance access having the backup media physically in the same location, not to mention the fact someone else can have access to view your storage.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2015, 08:31:08 am »

RAID IS NOT FOR BACKUPS.

Sure it is.  Although it depends on which RAID.  RAID0?  Not at all (I use a couple of SSD"s in RAID0 to speed up load times on my HTPC).  RAID1 o, however, is excellent for backups, as you're looking at duplication of data.  You can have 1 drive fail completely and still retain all data.  RAID6 is even better as you have multiple drives all containing different duplicates of data.  You can have two drives fail and still not lose any data.  Just add in replacement drives and the RAID will rebuild itself.

As to the guy who mentioned a Z97 board and DDR4 at the beginning of the thread, Z97 still uses DDR3.  You're thinking of X99 and Haswell-E, which is very expensive indeed.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2015, 08:57:21 am »

RAID IS NOT FOR BACKUPS.

Sure it is.  Although it depends on which RAID.  RAID0?  Not at all (I use a couple of SSD"s in RAID0 to speed up load times on my HTPC).  RAID1 o, however, is excellent for backups, as you're looking at duplication of data.  You can have 1 drive fail completely and still retain all data.  RAID6 is even better as you have multiple drives all containing different duplicates of data.  You can have two drives fail and still not lose any data.  Just add in replacement drives and the RAID will rebuild itself.

As to the guy who mentioned a Z97 board and DDR4 at the beginning of the thread, Z97 still uses DDR3.  You're thinking of X99 and Haswell-E, which is very expensive indeed.

That was me. You are correct I looked at the wrong thing I did mean X99 and DDR4.   Something like the Gigabyte GAX99M ( 270$US)
Although it is very expensive, especially now we know PJ's budget it still works out to a supercomputer for under $2K

Although a Z97 board with an I5 and plenty of memory would still be mighty quick.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2015, 09:05:04 am »
I still think the one I posted earlier is best bang for the buck :P