Author Topic: 2016 Honda Pilot Makes its Canadian Debut  (Read 14751 times)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
2016 Honda Pilot Makes its Canadian Debut
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2015, 08:15:41 pm »
This is my idea of a wet dream family hauler. Except, if my kids were teenagers and licenced, they'd be driving on the road trip and I'd be in the back playing video games.

In the old days, you got the kids to drive so you could sit in the back and polish off a bottle of Crown Royal.

Times have changed, I guess.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: 2016 Honda Pilot Makes its Canadian Debut
« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2015, 08:33:23 pm »
Looks good in the flesh...it will do well.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2015, 06:03:21 am »
Honestly, this thing was a show-stopper...it's a massive update and looks great. functionality is exponentially better, and the only unknown is pricing. Great job by Honda, and did nobody else realize that Honda's 3.5L V6 hasn't been "earthdreamt" yet? Now it has - that's huge news, despite output figures not being announced (afaik)

Ronnie, you may not know me yet, but all absurd man-love on this forum comes from me. Back off, buddy!! 

:P just teasing, I love you, too, unless you keep referring to automotive corporations as plural persons...Ford HAS, Subaru IS, Honda MAKES, etc.

Fob, your meme-making abilities knows no bounds, and you will be forever adored for it. I would meme you, but airport + blackberry...

Where's that vacations 2015 thread? Flight to Palm Springs departs in an hour!

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
2016 Honda Pilot Makes its Canadian Debut
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2015, 07:33:03 am »
Honestly, this thing was a show-stopper...it's a massive update and looks great.

It must look an awful lot better in person, because those pictures are absolutely uninspiring.

Sent from my Vic20 using Java Moose

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2015, 10:46:44 am »
Looks good in the flesh...it will do well.

Agreed, and it will appeal to more buyers in this segment IMO.  I recall when we were shopping for the family CUV/SUV my wife quickly scratched it off the list because of its styling.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:48:21 am by Snowman »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2015, 10:57:09 am »
a comparison to the Traverse and Highlander

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2015, 11:26:23 am »
The new Pilot is to me an expression of both what is the typical Honda these past couple of decades and a surprising refreshing new Honda.

Typical: so-so, uninspired exterior designs

Surprising: Honda's (and Acura's) vehicle technology has been way behind about any auto manufacturer offering, save for the SH-AWD and sound system but these two options were release a long time ago. Now Honda offers at last all the latest technology advancement of late in the Pilot and we start seeing them in other models being refreshed.

Offline hemusbull

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-153
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2015, 03:19:22 pm »
If Honda made any contribution in the automotive industry, it's the creation of abbreviations: from  the positive and widely regarded VTEC; through each new forgotten Acura model from EL to ILX and counting; to this mess here CMBS, LDW, FCW, LKAS, RDM...Is this a sophisticated way to make all of us dummies?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2015, 10:10:33 pm »
So when I am ready to look for a vehicle capable of towing 5000lbs.  I will be looking at the Highlander, the Pilot (6 speed only), Ridgeline, or GMC Canyon.

Will need to do some major test drives to determine whether to get an EX-L MY 2014 Pilot, or a lower trim 2016 MY2016 Pilot.  If it's a matter of combined fuel rating of 14L to 12L and I can get a good deal on a CPO, then the previous gen may due me fine.  After all, I don't really care about the things Ronnie cares about, 1 USB port is plenty for me! 

The previous gen Highlander I can't stand, so it's a no brainer for the newer gen.  Have to wait for the new Ridgeline to cross shop it with the previous gen Ridgeline, and the GMC Canyon. 

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2015, 03:52:20 pm »
So when I am ready to look for a vehicle capable of towing 5000lbs.  I will be looking at the Highlander, the Pilot (6 speed only), Ridgeline, or GMC Canyon.

Will need to do some major test drives to determine whether to get an EX-L MY 2014 Pilot, or a lower trim 2016 MY2016 Pilot.  If it's a matter of combined fuel rating of 14L to 12L and I can get a good deal on a CPO, then the previous gen may due me fine.  After all, I don't really care about the things Ronnie cares about, 1 USB port is plenty for me! 

The previous gen Highlander I can't stand, so it's a no brainer for the newer gen.  Have to wait for the new Ridgeline to cross shop it with the previous gen Ridgeline, and the GMC Canyon.

After seeing how bad is the new Highlander in emergency maneuvers I would have a hard time recommending it.

Offline JRM

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +22/-94
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 VW Passat TSI, 2004 Pontiac Vibe AWD
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 10:49:20 am »
Now, the Pilot looks just like all the other mid sized car based CUVs.   How inspiring is that?

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 11:32:39 am »

After seeing how bad is the new Highlander in emergency maneuvers I would have a hard time recommending it.

Haven't really looked into that part yet, as I am not in the market right now.  But I did read this "While the last edition had copious body roll and uncommunicative steering, Toyota has reworked the Highlander's front-strut and independent-rear suspension for better handling, and much of its substantial body lean was tuned out in the 2014 redesign. Ride quality is no longer cushy, but it's on the correct side of firm for a vehicle in this size class, though we'd avoid the optional 19-inch wheels to keep the feeling of big wheel impacts to a minimum."

http://www.thecarconnection.com/review/1093851_2015-toyota-highlander_performance_3

Haven't read anything about the emergency maneuvers.

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 17, 2015, 06:35:23 am »
I am referring to the new model sadly. The reviewers concluded that Toyota tried to used the electronic nannies to control the terrible brakes and soft suspension (but failed) instead of improving the core and design the nannies around it; it is impressive (not in a good way) to see. Will try to find you a link.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 10:52:27 am »
Let's hope Honda has FINALLY fixed their non-AWD:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkiv-bWbLIo

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 11:33:49 am »
That was posted previously regarding the new CRV.

I'm not aware if the Pilot utilizes the same system as the CRV. If so big fail for Honda at this price point

S-AWD should be standard at this price point vehicle.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 12:08:09 pm »
I'm not aware if the Pilot utilizes the same system as the CRV. If so big fail for Honda at this price point

It certainly uses the same design as the CRV. At first I thought it was the CRV. Actually I think it is the CRV. They can now charge more for the same vehicle. That's genius.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 12:18:52 pm »

It certainly uses the same design as the CRV. At first I thought it was the CRV. Actually I think it is the CRV. They can now charge more for the same vehicle. That's genius.

It's a plus-sized CR-V, like the first Pilot generation was. The 2nd gen had a square design that stood out in the marketplace. Apart from the nose, if was even classy. The new one seems very class-generic, as far as styling is concerned.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 12:27:13 pm »

It's a plus-sized CR-V, like the first Pilot generation was. The 2nd gen had a square design that stood out in the marketplace. Apart from the nose, if was even classy. The new one seems very class-generic, as far as styling is concerned.

I fear for the design of the next gen Ridgeline. I think I saw some concepts that looked nothing like a CRV with the rear carved out, which is encouraging, but the RL and Pilot used to be on the same platform, no?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 12:29:12 pm »
The Pilot at least had a diff lock button which locks the front and rear wheels together. Having wheeled with some Ridgelines, I gotta say, the system worked quite well. Don't know how effective it is without locking the diff, but it will get you out of a tight spot.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 12:40:36 pm »
The Pilot and CRV have never used the same AWD system.  The Pilot's was the VTM-4 system, superior to the CRVs.  VTM-4 would apply power to rear wheels under acceleration, even before wheel slip was detected.  And as Fobroader mentions, it had a lock button, which kept rear wheels engaged under 40km/h.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.