Author Topic: Subaru Legacy Wins AJAC 2015 Car of the Year, Ford F-150 Pickup of the Year  (Read 7363 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Subaru Legacy takes AJAC's highly coveted CCOTY, Ford F-150 takes Utility of the Year

Read More...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
I must say I agree with the entire list... ???... :)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
I concur.  ;D

Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline cruzzer

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-22
    • View Profile
Excellent AWD and a $23,500 base with a six speed manual. Nicely done Subaru.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
I too agree with most of the list - wow.  The Legacy sedan is a winner thanks to Subaru adding so much value.  They figured out a few years back that selling an AWD sedan for the same price as the FWD models would give them a leg up.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
That's an incredibly boring Car of the Year.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
Little surprised Golf wasn't picked over Legacy.  It's been wining everything else.  Legacy hasn't had much in way of changes to engines for years now.  (slight tweaks)

Offline Nuttygent

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +7/-20
  • Every man dies...but not every man lives
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Forte5 SX
  Good job Subaru, if you had made a wagon of it with a bit more power I would have bought one. I realize the reality of the market in your defence though, wouldn't sell many.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Volvo V60 Polestar Runners-up: Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat, Ford Mustang GT

How in the hell does 707 HP NOT beat out a Volvo wagon on steroids, no matter how much better it might drive...or how absolutely stunningly sexy it is in that blue.... :lick: :drool: :flowers:. You guys check your pants recently?  :think: :stick: Shriveled?  :o Hiding in fear?  :run: WTF happened here... :o :think:  If you want to prove me wrong, by all means, next time they have both as press cars in MB, invite me over, I'd be more than happy to make an opinion based on fact rather than HP numbers alone.  Really...I have lots of holiday time left...LOTS...I'd be happy to drive both for a week or so.  ;D

Oh yeah; F150 FTW!  Whoo-hooo!! 'bought time someone got THAT right!   :thumbup: ;)

Too many Toronto and Vancouver based, nancy-boy automotive writers. If it's not from Yurp, it's crap.  ;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
The M235i starts at $45k ($48k including freight and pdi) and easily blows through $50k.

If it's going to be compared to a Mustang, it's competing with the GT. With the manual, perfomance pack and Recaros, it's just nudging $44k

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
The M235i starts at $45k ($48k including freight and pdi) and easily blows through $50k.

If it's going to be compared to a Mustang, it's competing with the GT. With the manual, perfomance pack and Recaros, it's just nudging $44k

Yeah but you dont have the fancy propeller badge to impress your neighbors.....in TO and Vancouver thats worth more than a car that will walk all over, up, down and sideways over your fancy badgemobile ;D

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Northernridge

Yea, I don't have any major quibbles either.

I might have selected the Hellcat over the Volvo, tied the Lincoln with the Highlander and wondered why the WRX was in the family sedan category. I probably would have selected the Golf over the Legacy as car of the year as well.

But, meh.

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-13
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Supra TT, RX-7 'Vert V8, and various Pressers
Re: Subaru Legacy Wins AJAC 2015 Car of the Year, Ford F-150 Pickup of the Year
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 06:51:14 pm »

How in the hell does 707 HP NOT beat out a Volvo wagon on steroids, no matter how much better it might drive...or how absolutely stunningly sexy it is in that blue.... :lick: :drool: :flowers:. You guys check your pants recently?  :think: :stick: Shriveled?  :o Hiding in fear?  :run: WTF happened here... :o :think:  If you want to prove me wrong, by all means, next time they have both as press cars in MB, invite me over, I'd be more than happy to make an opinion based on fact rather than HP numbers alone.  Really...I have lots of holiday time left...LOTS...I'd be happy to drive both for a week or so.  ;D

Oh yeah; F150 FTW!  Whoo-hooo!! 'bought time someone got THAT right!   :thumbup: ;)

As someone that enjoys beating the :censor: out of cars around bends at high speed on the track, and when it's warranted on an open on/off ramp, I can see why the Polestar beat the Hellcat.

The Polestar is one of the nicest all round vehicles in existence. If you're never driven one, I can understand why you may feel this way. I have a ton of track and race car experience. I could really care less for HP numbers. That's not what it's about for me. It's about the entire package. The Hellcat is honestly very, very low on the list of cars I'd ever want to own. It's not because I have a shriveled penis or balls... it's because I actually care about things like handling, steering, style, and design. The Hellcat does nothing well except go fast in a straight line. It's fun for about 11 seconds.

I can tell you this, caning a V60 Polestar Wagon leaves me with a grin from ear-to-ear, like, I literally cannot stop smiling after a decent set of twisties or hitting a ramp on a deserted night and then merging onto the empty highway. It's a fantastic car. I cannot wait to actually track the thing with proper tires on it.

I really don't understand why the two cars are being compared in this conversation; they're entirely different. If you're looking to impress people with HP numbers and neck-breaking straight-line speed, the Hellcat is your car... and a great one at that.

The Polestar Wagon is more of a Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde kinda thing. In regular mode, it's as docile and plain Jane as your average luxury sedan. Hit the Sport mode and the it wakes the hell up with one of the nicest sounding stock exhaust notes I've ever heard. Think MK4 Supra but louder and angrier sounding than a Supra. It's seriously a riot to drive. Combined with one of the nicest seats I've ever planted my ass in and gorgeous, simple interior - not to mention the orgasmic Ohlins suspension from the factory - and you have my perfect daily driver.

I've driven a lot of cars in my personal life, and my professional life and I still think about the Polestar on an almost daily basis. I literally had a dream about it.

I think it would be awesome to have a day where our readers get to play around with some of the cars. It's one thing to read about them, it's another thing to experience it. I think it'd be a great article to get reader impressions/reviews on the same cars.

Cheers,

Ronnie
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 06:54:02 pm by ronniefung »
If it shifts, it drifts.

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 06:57:26 pm »

Too many Toronto and Vancouver based, nancy-boy automotive writers. If it's not from Yurp, it's crap.  ;D

Nancy-boy? Haha. I don't really find that an insult, but yeah, I'll take that! I'm pretty nancy-ish sometimes. I do enjoy American muscle as well. In fact, so much so that I have an American V8 in my RX-7. My next track car will hopefully combine "'Yurpeen" chassis with another American V8. It doesn't have to be one or the other!

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 07:10:36 pm »
The Challenger Hellcat and the Volvo V60 Polestar are the hardest decisions I'd have to make if I won lotto and for some reason could only have two cars.
Car 1: Telsa Model S P85 High Output (not the D - RWD FTW)
Car 2: Hellcat or Polestar - :censor:, it's a seriously hard choice.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300

Nancy-boy? Haha. I don't really find that an insult, but yeah, I'll take that! I'm pretty nancy-ish sometimes. I do enjoy American muscle as well. In fact, so much so that I have an American V8 in my RX-7. My next track car will hopefully combine "'Yurpeen" chassis with another American V8. It doesn't have to be one or the other!

Theres a sweet E36 Elcamino style conversion with an LS1 thats on the D1 circuit......I like it. On the Volvo end, last wagon I would own from them were the square ones ;D

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 07:36:30 pm »
Interesting choice!  Subaru have milked that 2.5 for generations now so nothing new there. Would have been nice to see the 2.0T (finally) added as a GT trim level.   :-\

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 09:28:08 pm »

I'm just yanking your chain. You're alright.  ;D

I still think it's stupid that the Mustang didn't win something. They did a bang up job on this version.

And I still like the Challenger even though it's too big and fat to be a proper pony car. Lots a charisma. The old squareback Volvos had it, the current ones leave me cold. Too much German in them.

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 09:50:05 pm »

And I still like the Challenger even though it's too big and fat to be a proper pony car. Lots a charisma. The old squareback Volvos had it, the current ones leave me cold. Too much German in them.

What did you expect? The Swedes are technically a ethnic Germanic off-shoot.  ;)

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2015, 05:31:39 pm »

I'm just yanking your chain. You're alright.  ;D

I still think it's stupid that the Mustang didn't win something. They did a bang up job on this version.

Yeah, I do take these awards with a grain of salt. I agree with a lot of the choices if we're looking at the big picture. These AJAC awards look at everything, not just how much fun the car is to drive. They take into account price, fuel economy, options, all that stuff. I'm sure the results would be different if it was awards based on performance, emotional appeal or how much of a boner it gives you.

I adore the new Mustang. Both the V8 and the Ecoboost. It's on the top of my list for affordable 'Murkin muscle.

I would love an '80s Volvo 240 wagon with a Polestar engine mated to a slick Getrag 6-speed box and a Ohlins suspension. I'm a boxy syle kinda dude. It doesn't get any better than the '80s and '90s for me in the style department. Truly.