Author Topic: 2016 Acura ILX - Now With 2.4L, Eight-Speed DCT and New Features  (Read 14798 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: 2016 Acura ILX - Now With 2.4L, Eight-Speed DCT and New Features
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 10:47:50 am »
My point is that it's easy enough, through software, for carmakers to allow accessibility with a wide range of phones, not only IOS or Android exclusively.  IF, indeed, they are only allowing connectivity with IOS devices, that is alienating a large share of the population, regardless of their income.  As an Android user (and never planning on going IOS), if I were to buy this car, I would be unable to connect my phone to one of the car's key tech selling feature.

As for your graph, I think the reason for the lower average income is because you can find Android on a LOT of lower end phones.  Iphones don't offer a low end, sub $100 phone that a certain subset of the population would use.  This therefore skews the average income of users in Apple's favor.  I'm sure there are just as many 'rich' people who own Android phones as Apple phones.

I agree that they should support both, but if they're only going to do one then I think the numbers are in Apple's favor.

Still, who alienates 50% of the population with a move like this?  If Apple had 85% market share like they did in 2006, then sure.  But they don't.  They're at less than 50% market share.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 12:37:55 pm »
Well to be fair – we don't know yet if Acura is alienating Android users.

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-13
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Supra TT, RX-7 'Vert V8, and various Pressers
« Reply #22 on: February 13, 2015, 05:38:23 pm »
A pretty neat addition to the Premium Package trim is is a new tethered navigation system powered by the user’s compatible iPhone and data plan via the AcuraLink navigation app.

Hopefully it isn't limited to working with an iPhone and supports Android at the very least.  Would be a huge mistake if it was limited in this nature.
While I agree with the complaint that it's only Apple compatible (assuming accurate), I'm actually complaining more so with the fact that Ronnie said "pretty neat."  Auto journos need to stop applauding this :censor: move to linking smartphones to cars - telecommunications technologies become obsolete far faster than a vehicle's intended lifespan.  Whereas the Navi system in my 2006 RX400h is perfectly working and upgradable, the Bluetooth 1.1 is not and doesn't work with mama Noto's Android.  This sort of thing has to stop - data plans are expensive and there's simply no reason to applaud tethering smartphones to vehicles.  What's worse, it is just another reason for people to use their phone while driving.  Bad, BAD!  >:( >:( >:(

why are heated seats optional in the "luxe" Civic, while they are std fare in a 17k$ Civic LX?
That was my thought exactly as well...to the point of, "WHAT THE :censor:, ACURA?!?!"

...and I'm still waiting for AWD for me to consider this car.

I understand why you feel like this. There are quite a few people that prefer using their phone's GPS apps instead of the built-in systems. I find ALL car Navis to be we way too clunky and slow. I use Waze and my phone for all my navigation needs. I use a mount so I don't have to actually look down or anything. A lot of people have unlimited data plans nowadays. In the next couple of years, all data plans will be unlimited or close enough to it.

I totally get what you're saying though.
If it shifts, it drifts.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2015, 10:52:58 am »
Now that the drivetrain is "fixed", why are heated seats optional in the "luxe" Civic, while they are std fare in a 17k$ Civic LX?

Is the option stand-alone, or does one have to move up to Premium trim to warm his ... ?

Otherwise, the base car is now an attractive proposal!

I'm sure heated seats will be standard in Canada.  This article was likely written with preliminary US info.

The "preview" flyer they handed out at the Montreal Auto Show only mentioned heated seats in combination with the leather in the Premium trim, but I guess we'll have to wait for full specs - the website still shows the 2014 and 2015.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2015, 10:55:56 am »
I don't think it's standard in the Verano either. Which is stupid considering it's supposed to be a premium car while you can get a $20k Elantra with heated seats front and back.

Offline Steve C

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 Mazda 3 Sport
« Reply #25 on: February 16, 2015, 07:57:18 am »
I don't think Canadian pricing has been released yet. I'm interested to see where this starts and how close it gets to the TLX. Also, why is the TLX 2.4 rated at 206 HP while the ILX 2.4 is rated at 201 HP? Aren't they the same engine?

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #26 on: February 16, 2015, 08:31:04 am »
I don't think Canadian pricing has been released yet. I'm interested to see where this starts and how close it gets to the TLX. Also, why is the TLX 2.4 rated at 206 HP while the ILX 2.4 is rated at 201 HP? Aren't they the same engine?

There could be some minor differences with the intake and exhaust.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #27 on: February 16, 2015, 12:07:40 pm »
I don't think it's standard in the Verano either. Which is stupid considering it's supposed to be a premium car while you can get a $20k Elantra with heated seats front and back.

+1

You need to go up to the 3rd pkg level in the Verano to get heated seats. And that's actually a recent improvement, as you can now get heated cloth seats in the Verano - used to be reserved for the leather pkg before. Cars are like hotels - the more upscale they are, the less chance you have of finding basic features free of charge.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2015, 12:09:40 pm »

+1

You need to go up to the 3rd pkg level in the Verano to get heated seats. And that's actually a recent improvement, as you can now get heated cloth seats in the Verano - used to be reserved for the leather pkg before. Cars are like hotels - the more upscale they are, the less chance you have of finding basic features free of charge.

lol - good analogy.  Porsche should get into the hotel biz... they could charge you for the room key...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: 2016 Acura ILX - Now With 2.4L, Eight-Speed DCT and New Features
« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2015, 12:55:59 pm »
A pretty neat addition to the Premium Package trim is is a new tethered navigation system powered by the user’s compatible iPhone and data plan via the AcuraLink navigation app.

Hopefully it isn't limited to working with an iPhone and supports Android at the very least.  Would be a huge mistake if it was limited in this nature.

I agree.  That sentence stuck out for me, too.

Check out the linked graph:  http://stats.areppim.com/stats/stats_mobiosxtime_nam.htm.

IOS is currently at 48.3% market share, Android is at 45.45% market share.  The key metric is that IOS's market share has been on average decreasing since it peaked in May 2013 while Android has been seeing steady growth since its inception in 2009. 

As a android user for many years, it's always bugged me that some vehicles have catered exclusively to iPhones with their GUI, software, and even connectors. 

I think this is actually the key metric: http://www.comscore.com/Insights/Data-Mine/iPhone-Users-Earn-Higher-Income-Engage-More-on-Apps-than-Android-Users

My point is that it's easy enough, through software, for carmakers to allow accessibility with a wide range of phones, not only IOS or Android exclusively.  IF, indeed, they are only allowing connectivity with IOS devices, that is alienating a large share of the population, regardless of their income.  As an Android user (and never planning on going IOS), if I were to buy this car, I would be unable to connect my phone to one of the car's key tech selling feature.

As for your graph, I think the reason for the lower average income is because you can find Android on a LOT of lower end phones.  Iphones don't offer a low end, sub $100 phone that a certain subset of the population would use.  This therefore skews the average income of users in Apple's favor.  I'm sure there are just as many 'rich' people who own Android phones as Apple phones.

I think they mean mom and dad make a lot of money so they can buy their teenagers the latest I whatever. .....

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2015, 04:35:33 pm »
If the infotainment system is QNX based, Android, Blackberry, Windows Phone, and Symbian can all make themselves compatible with it. CarPlay is just a fancy name for the interface between iOS and QNX.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2015, 04:48:30 pm »

+1

lol - good analogy.  Porsche should get into the hotel biz... they could charge you for the room key...

I also noticed that. I guess when you get into the segment where there is less price sensitivity, you can afford to really upcharge the features.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
2016 Acura ILX - Now With 2.4L, Eight-Speed DCT and New Features
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2015, 09:23:45 pm »
Unlimited data plans country wide in Canada?  I don't know anyone with that, all the big players limit you to about 6 gig.

And what happens when you hit the border and are roaming at $10 a meg.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2015, 12:16:03 pm »
Unlimited data plans country wide in Canada?  I don't know anyone with that, all the big players limit you to about 6 gig.

And what happens when you hit the border and are roaming at $10 a meg.

I have that on a corporate-plan IPhone (Rogers). Data roaming set to "off" by default as of course that plan excluded the US.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #34 on: February 17, 2015, 01:08:59 pm »
Sure corporate plan, everyone has those.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 17, 2015, 01:12:44 pm »
Sure corporate plan, everyone has those.

And it's like 48$/month too! Just like with cars, you have to go "fleet" to discover the deals.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #36 on: February 17, 2015, 02:11:12 pm »
You can get unlimited country-wide data from SaskTel, but they've recently bumped it up to $100/month from $65/month last year. I suspect that Bell is the reason behind it.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #37 on: February 17, 2015, 02:15:39 pm »
You westerners have it great.

Go look at a what a regular Roger's phone bill is.  $100/month for basically nothing.

I refuse to pay more than $40 a month for phone, coms bills have gone insane.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2015, 02:28:52 pm »
You westerners have it great.

Go look at a what a regular Roger's phone bill is.  $100/month for basically nothing.

I refuse to pay more than $40 a month for phone, coms bills have gone insane.

$65/month for unlimited Canada-wide talking, unlimited text, and 5GB of data.  Rogers. 

Manitoba has some of the best rates.  Apparently with Rogers you can choose to get any province's plan anywhere in the country.  When my brother and sister in law moved to NB from Texas, they signed up with Rogers, got a Manitoba plan.  The only caveat is they have a Manitoba area code.  It doesn't matter though, because as I said, unlimited Canada wide talk.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
2016 Acura ILX - Now With 2.4L, Eight-Speed DCT and New Features
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2015, 02:36:17 pm »
Yeah that deal is for Manitoba because you have competition.  Ontario not so much.

Quebec gets okay rates too.

The point is not everyone has unlimited data.  Even 5gb is not unlimited and they will rape you when you go over.

In EU you get unlimited for 10 euros