Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota 4Runner  (Read 15193 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 Toyota 4Runner
« on: February 10, 2015, 06:31:02 am »
Still a proper no-frills, no-nonsense SUV- but now with more frills and nonsense.
Read More...
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 12:34:20 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Toyota 4Runner
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2015, 07:52:11 am »
I've always liked the 4-runner, still do.  I like the rugged looks of both the interior and exterior.  I tell myself I'd get the trail edition, however the ugly mug may steer me to the limited. 

Too bad about the step boards.  Looks like my '07 Tundra has the same ones, albeit placed more usefully.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 08:32:24 am »
Maybe if GMC brings out it's 'wrangler fighter', Toyota will do the same and bring back the original 4runner with the removable cab??  One can always dream...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 10:32:03 am »
Too fancy and expensive to take off road, uncomfortable on road, I don't see the point. The vast majority of people would be better off with a Highlander or RX350, which is born out by sales numbers.

Toyota would be better off if they decontented it, dropped the price and refocused on the off-road demographic that it was originally aimed at.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 10:35:16 am »
Prefer the look of the older 4Runner. Not overly keen on the recent buggy front lenses. Ok got to say it.....a diesel would be ideal here. If not for erroneous and varying diesel taxes per province and state.

Now this hurts: As of 2014, the Toyota Land Cruiser J200 is available in every market except Canada, North Korea, and South Korea.
Always like the iconic Land Cruiser J40 and 70 series.
http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/collection/model_40_3.html
http://www.toyota-global.com/showroom/vehicle_heritage/landcruiser/collection/model_70_4.html

Here is a short list from 2013 on body on frame vehicles: http://www.trucktrend.com/features/consumer/163_1302_2013_body_on_frame_suvs/
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 10:58:32 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 10:44:00 am »
While I don't mind the 4Runner of today.....gimme something like this

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline makuribu

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 10:52:51 am »
Those running boards would be the deal killer right from the word go. If you bash your shin because your foot slips every time you try to get in your car on a rainy day, you are going to be pretty unhappy before you even turn the key. What were they thinking?
'Cause you can only drive down Main St. so many times

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 11:29:39 am »
The 4Runner in Limited dress makes little sense. The 20" standard wheels are silly, look how narrow the tires are. They are too narrow for the proportions of the vehicle, the lower trim wheels /tires  look much better. The 20" wheels look to be a "Me Too!" response to the Starbucks crowd.  There is a 2-3" gap between the calipers and the wheel so it isn't like Toyota threw on some oversized performance calipers which necessitated the big wheels.

I would take my pretend 4Runner in SR5. While I am at it I will also take a 4.7L over the new mill.

Northernridge

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 12:11:24 pm »
The 4Runner Trail Edition is a realistic choice for me. I would make use of its off-road chops and frequently drive it on lousy, remote gravel roads. And, the 4Runner is actually better on road (at legal speeds) than people might think. It's also not obscenely large. Good resale value too based on my searches locally.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 12:24:38 pm »
The 4Runner Trail Edition is a realistic choice for me. I would make use of its off-road chops and frequently drive it on lousy, remote gravel roads. And, the 4Runner is actually better on road (at legal speeds) than people might think. It's also not obscenely large. Good resale value too based on my searches locally.

I agree with everything you've said here.

You're right - it's not horrible on-road and I hope my review conveyed that. It's just not as great on the road as CUVs are these days. And yes, the size is actually ideal - not too big, not too small, with enough space inside for most people's/families' needs.

I did a little homework when I was writing this review and yes, the resale value (as with nearly all Toyotas) is stellar with 4Runners.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 12:29:40 pm »

Yup, that would be my pick as well.

Northernridge

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 12:31:34 pm »
I think AS mentioned once that dealers don't keep Trail Edition models in inventory. Just the SR5 and Limited I think he said...even those are scarce in Winnipeg.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 01:24:00 pm »

Agreed.

I always forget about the 4Runner, but I honestly don't mind the look of it's mug.   Properly mean and ugly, like a truck should be.   I like the classic squared off proportions relative to all the jelly-bean CUVs on the road.  And as you note, the size is pretty ideal for most folks (my family of 4 included).

Sure I don't REALLY need the offroad capabilities, but that's no different than 99% of performance/sport vehicle buyers who don't really need/use the capabilities of their car.   It's just cool to know what it could do.

Throw in Toyota truck reliability and this thing seems like a pretty good value.   Strikes me as a poor man's Range Rover - with way less luxury, but way more reliability.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 01:30:52 pm »
The 4-Runner is decent off-road, especially on decommissioned logging roads and places like that.  For really tough terrain, the IFS really kills it's ability, but people with 4-Runners generally don't go there.

My only problem would be that no way I'd take such an expensive vehicle where it would be actually useful.  So, new ones drive to Coscto and back and maybe up a gravel road to the cottage.  It's not until they get old and trade hands do they get put to real use.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6812
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 01:56:47 pm »
The 4Runner in Limited dress makes little sense. The 20" standard wheels are silly, look how narrow the tires are. They are too narrow for the proportions of the vehicle, the lower trim wheels /tires  look much better. The 20" wheels look to be a "Me Too!" response to the Starbucks crowd.  There is a 2-3" gap between the calipers and the wheel so it isn't like Toyota threw on some oversized performance calipers which necessitated the big wheels.

I would take my pretend 4Runner in SR5. While I am at it I will also take a 4.7L over the new mill.

Right.  The Limited and SR5 are essentially 2 different vehicles.  Unfortunately the wrong one is reviewed.  The one to get is the SR5 with the upgrade package.  Think Taco, FJ and Highander mashed together and out pops a SR5.  Great vehicle.

Offline opg210

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +19/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 VW Golf Wagon, 2012 Mini Cooper convertible, 2006 Ninja 650R
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2015, 10:33:14 am »
Bought a 2015 Limited and love it. Wife loves it too. We drove them all...this just seems like an honest rig, no nonsense, the others were trying to be cars and turned us off. Resale value a big plus. Stereo is worth half the price of admission if you ask me, I drive around just to listen to it. We wanted a minivan but they are now too big for our garage, 4 Runner is almost a foot shorter!

Biggest drawback is downward sloping floor in the back; things tend to slide backwards and jump out when you open the hatch. There isn't a proper net availabe from the dealer.

Mileage sucks of course so far. But love the vehicle.

Northernridge

« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2015, 10:46:17 am »
Bought a 2015 Limited and love it. Wife loves it too. We drove them all...this just seems like an honest rig, no nonsense, the others were trying to be cars and turned us off. Resale value a big plus. Stereo is worth half the price of admission if you ask me, I drive around just to listen to it. We wanted a minivan but they are now too big for our garage, 4 Runner is almost a foot shorter!

Biggest drawback is downward sloping floor in the back; things tend to slide backwards and jump out when you open the hatch. There isn't a proper net availabe from the dealer.

I think the proper model, the Trail Edition ;) has a flat slide out tray.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2015, 10:54:49 am »

Details?  Show n Shine?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2015, 11:01:02 am »
Whoa - the Trail Edition has all the mechanical goodies!

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2015, 11:01:37 am »

Details?  Show n Shine?

Yes, pictures please.

Last year in one of my deep dive reaserch modes I was really hot on the Trail Edition. Just loved the idea of having one. In the end it was hard to justify having a minivan as the family car and the Trail Edition as the fund car / truck. I'd still like to have one someday.
I love it when a plan comes together.