Author Topic: Mazda Releases Pricing for Refreshed 2016 Mazda6 and CX-5  (Read 12977 times)

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-13
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Toyota Supra TT, RX-7 'Vert V8, and various Pressers
Re: Mazda Releases Pricing for Refreshed 2016 Mazda6 and CX-5
« Reply #20 on: February 11, 2015, 12:05:43 pm »
I'm not so much concerned with sales so much as the product. Mazda makes a damn good product and it keeps getting better.

I'm in the smaller percentile of the buying public. I place far more value on driving dynamics and the visceral feel of the vehicle. Every single vehicle in the current Mazda lineup is pleasurable to drive and good looking to me. Everyone's opinions will be different.
If it shifts, it drifts.

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2015, 12:15:36 pm »
Mazda, with a clear understanding of its Canadian market,

Says who?  This gen Mazda6 has sold worse in Canada than the two previous generations...  Sure success with Mazda3, Mazda CX-5.  But not with the Mazda2, Mazda5, or CX-9.  The sales are low on the MX-5 due to it being around so long, when the new one comes out, sales will pickup... 

Extensively refreshed?  No manual e-brake, heated rear seats, and a new touchscreen.  I hope the performance has improved.  That is the weakest link in my car.  It looks and sounds fine, but does a lot of stupid stuff.  Never plays the song where you last left it, come on! 

Doesn't look like the outside has changed, and the interior materials still look the same.  Glad there is nothing there I really want.  As both rear seats have child seats on them, so they wouldn't notice the heated seats.  And I like the manual e-brake.

They know their market and they're doing what they can to boost sales. I'm not an OEM concerned with sales. I'm a consumer and a driver. I'm a huge fan of Mazda's products. Right from the ground up. They drive well, look amazing and are very well priced. I can actually FEEL something when I drive them, unlike many other modern cars that sell far better than Mazda's do currently. Canadian market is the cold market. I'm talking about how cold it is up here and how much those rear heated seats are a welcome addition.

The reasons you mentioned for not caring too much about the update - "As both rear seats have child seats on them, so they wouldn't notice the heated seats.  And I like the manual e-brake" - are very personal to you. There are many people that would appreciate the heated rear seats and the new colour options. I'm a little bummed about losing the e-brake handle but again, I know I'm in the minority.

I also realize I'm not the kind of buyer that OEMs target. I care about performance of the vehicle first and foremost; I'm not talking speed or power; I'm talking how the car feels when I fire it up and hit the road. How connected I am, the feedback I'm getting, how I feel in the seats, the gauge layout, all that stuff. I like a good set of speakers and a clear audio. I like having my phone connected as soon as I get in and I like having three pedals.

There are some people out there like me but most people shopping for new cars in this segment are not like that. They're concerned with value, fuel economy and that kind of thing.

But I totally understand where you're coming from.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:35:54 pm by ronniefung »

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2015, 12:29:39 pm »
From what I recollect of the Mazda6, the only negative things that stood out for me were the HMI, which I didn't like at all, and the relatively high amount of wind and road noise. The engine power was ok, and the ride was a bit on the firm side, but not a deal breaker. The car does look fantastic, but that doesn't seem to be enough to draw people in.

In Canada though, the mid size car class is losing sales big time to CUVs.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 11, 2015, 12:30:22 pm »
oh wow that 6 is a looker...but no AWD :-(

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 11, 2015, 12:37:10 pm »
From what I recollect of the Mazda6, the only negative things that stood out for me were the HMI, which I didn't like at all, and the relatively high amount of wind and road noise. The engine power was ok, and the ride was a bit on the firm side, but not a deal breaker. The car does look fantastic, but that doesn't seem to be enough to draw people in.

Yes, it's definitely on the firmer side of things due to the sport-ish tuning and low profile tires. I really like the HMI. It's one of my favourite things about the new Mazda products... and also that awesome HUD.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2015, 12:42:03 pm »

Yes, it's definitely on the firmer side of things due to the sport-ish tuning and low profile tires. I really like the HMI. It's one of my favourite things about the new Mazda products... and also that awesome HUD.

Really? I'm pretty sure it would be a deal breaker for me.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 12:57:44 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2015, 12:54:23 pm »

Really? I'm pretty sure, it would be a deal breaker for me.

I found it to be very intuitive. More so than BMWs or Benzies with a similar setup. Yeah, it's strange how one thing works well for some and not so well for others.

Northernridge

« Reply #27 on: February 11, 2015, 02:27:41 pm »
Nothing to do with the 6 or HMI, or absolutely anything at all, but a friend of mine bought an Elantra Ltd because he hated the iPad stuck on the middle of the dash in the Mazda 3.  Didn't want anything the size of the 6. Thought it was the stupidest thing ever.  And Hyundai gave him more options for his money. Liked the Kia Forte more, had even more features for his $, but said "Hyundai's have better resale" - I tried to hide my scoffing. Hyundai's have resale? Oh.Kay.  ::)

Fixed. Sorry Kehvin  ;D  You know I love you brother.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2015, 03:08:55 pm »
Does the Manual 6 still have a conventional e-brake?  The article isn't clear.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline SKYMTL

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +30/-77
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 BMW 440i, 2014 Mazda 3 GT Sport
« Reply #29 on: February 11, 2015, 03:58:18 pm »
The new fascia for the CX-5 is totally throwing me off.  It must be the thin chrome reveal....it just doesn't look right. 

As for the Mazda 6 other than its awesome looks and new warranty structure, there really isn't anything that's unique.  There were times when the GT got you an upgraded engine but now all the models have the same SKYACTIV-G 2.5L.  Mazda was also the last Japanese car maker to sell a true wagon here which, judging from the success of VW's Sportwagen, is something Canadian customers happen to like.   

Something like AWD would at least allow them to better compete against the likes of Ford's Fusion. 

At least a halo car like another Mazdaspeed6 would get their name in the news and build customer recognition. 

C'mon Mazda.  We know you've got it in you....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2015, 08:38:26 pm »

Really? I'm pretty sure it would be a deal breaker for me.

Hey SirO, my Mazda6 doesn't have the HMI.  I like it.  But I didn't need it.  It's only present in the GS & GT.  I have the base GX. 

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2015, 08:54:20 pm »
Hey SirO, my Mazda6 doesn't have the HMI.  I like it.  But I didn't need it.  It's only present in the GS & GT.  I have the base GX.

That's probably the way to go. I like a lot about the 6.

Offline ronniefung

• Learner's Permit
  • Resident Tire Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2015, 02:26:16 pm »
Does the Manual 6 still have a conventional e-brake?  The article isn't clear.

Unfortunately, negative. Sadface emoticon.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2015, 05:18:37 pm »
Why is that?  Never shopped a Mazda store, but are they hard to deal with?  Pricks during and after the sale? (my neighbour would disagree, he LOVED dealing with the one in Wpg.)  No room to move? "We sell the best" (obviously yo don't sell, anything...not in this segment) so "therefore you pay full MSRP"?  Or is it the complete lack of any power in a car that size? Maybe lack of servicing dealers?  There's nothing that's not at least 100+ km away from here.  If they'd 6 it up or put some pressure into that 4 pot...would it make any difference?  Or is it: test drive the 6, Accord & Camry (Fusion too?)...and whoa! YTF would I 6 myself?  Just wondering...such a nice looking car, kinda sad that it sells in such low numbers.

I think it's just a general disinterest in the 6. Comparatively, the 3 and CX-5 sell in huge numbers.

The Cx-5 isn't that much of a success neither...

Rank SUV/Crossover 2014

#1 Ford Escape 52,198   
#2 Honda CR-V 37,684 
#3 Toyota RAV4 36,639 
#4 Nissan Rogue 28,827 
#5 Hyundai Santa Fe Sport ³ 27,580 
#6 Dodge Journey 24,715   
#7 Jeep Wrangler 23,057 
#8 Jeep Cherokee 22,529 
#9 Mazda CX-5 19,920 

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2015/01/canada-2014-suv-crossover-sales-results-every-model.html
« Last Edit: February 13, 2015, 05:20:14 pm by Tauri13 »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2015, 05:40:40 pm »
Any car that sells around 20k units in Canada is a big success IMO.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2015, 06:17:44 pm »
Mazda's are not big sellers here, 40% of local dealer's lot are used trucks and suvs.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2015, 10:31:56 pm »
Any car that sells around 20k units in Canada is a big success IMO.

Exactly!  Compare quantity of Mazda dealers to Jeep dealers, which it comes close to in sales!  I don't see any Subarus in that list!  People forget how tiny a company Mazda is.  Practically, sold more Mazda CX-5 in Canada, than VW Tiguan did in the US! 100k in the US for 2014.  That's a success.

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2015, 09:30:22 am »
I have been reading a number of articles about the Mazda 6 refresh. One of them did state that in the refresh there will be more sound deadening effort made. It claimed to make car 25% quieter on highway.

Not a fan of turbo charging so I would be very satisfied with 2.5 engine that runs on regular fuel and get good mileage. I am not concerned with how I would do at a stoplight race.

Poor sales of this car are a mystery. In Quebec people buy tons of Mazda 3's but the 6 does not seem to catch their interest. It has got lots of good reviews and compares well to competition. If they addressed the road noise and improved the entertainment system interface they addressed the 2 main issues with the car.

Ironically as a result of poor sales you get more exclusivity driving this than a 3 series BMW (which you see on every corner).

If I was in market today this car would be at top of my list.
If you want more in life you have to make an effort.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2015, 09:40:58 am »
I have been reading a number of articles about the Mazda 6 refresh. One of them did state that in the refresh there will be more sound deadening effort made. It claimed to make car 25% quieter on highway.

Not a fan of turbo charging so I would be very satisfied with 2.5 engine that runs on regular fuel and get good mileage. I am not concerned with how I would do at a stoplight race.

Poor sales of this car are a mystery. In Quebec people buy tons of Mazda 3's but the 6 does not seem to catch their interest. It has got lots of good reviews and compares well to competition. If they addressed the road noise and improved the entertainment system interface they addressed the 2 main issues with the car.

Ironically as a result of poor sales you get more exclusivity driving this than a 3 series BMW (which you see on every corner).

If I was in market today this car would be at top of my list.

Take MY 2015 and MY 2016 out for a test drive to compare, and get back to us...Do you find your Mazda3 has road noise issues?

Offline Slow_lane

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-15
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX-5 GT, 2015 Fiat 500C with Retro package and 2011 BMW 328 XDrive (gone but not forgotten)
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2015, 10:15:28 am »

Take MY 2015 and MY 2016 out for a test drive to compare, and get back to us...Do you find your Mazda3 has road noise issues?

Yes of course my Mazda 3 has road noise issues. Well known for not being a quiet car. I wish it were not so noisy.