Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Acura MDX  (Read 21216 times)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Acura MDX
« Reply #60 on: February 11, 2015, 09:19:51 am »
Remember that features don't mean luxury Jeff. As a driver as a German car you know what I'm talking about. FWIW my MDX feels much more "luxurious" than the Hyundai/Toyotas/Hondas/Mazdas we test drove 3-4 years ago.

Exactly my point.  Features don't mean luxury -- so in the case of the MDX, what does?  I ask again, is it the badge?  The driving experience, quality of build and for the most part, the materials of the current generation Highlander Limited and Santa Fe XL (both of which I've spent at least a few hundred kms driving) is so darned close to the MDX, I'm not sure what makes it worth the extra 5-figure $.  Maybe it's the open pore wood trim?  ;)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The Koreans sell on features and price. My personal experience tells me there is simply less engineering in a Korean car. They are not as solid and do not drive as well as premium brands like Audi, Acura and Lexus, to name a few.

I guess we can agree to disagree.  My personal experience tells me that with every new product, Hyundai is closing the already minuscule gap even further.  I drove the Santa Fe XL to (and through) Manhattan and back with a full load of gear and people -- it never skipped a beat.  Everything about it felt as solid, refined and as well-built as any Japanese equivalent -- MDX included.  Likewise, the Highlander is a very well-sorted and comfortable machine. 

Again, don't get me wrong, I really like the MDX and think it's very well done.  It's just that some of the newer designs from "non-premium brands" are very nearly as good and cost MUCH less. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2015, 09:26:59 am »
Remember that features don't mean luxury Jeff. As a driver as a German car you know what I'm talking about. FWIW my MDX feels much more "luxurious" than the Hyundai/Toyotas/Hondas/Mazdas we test drove 3-4 years ago.

Exactly my point.  Features don't mean luxury -- so in the case of the MDX, what does?  I ask again, is it the badge?  The driving experience, quality of build and for the most part, the materials of the current generation Highlander Limited and Santa Fe XL (both of which I've spent at least a few hundred kms driving) is so darned close to the MDX, I'm not sure what makes it worth the extra 5-figure $.  Maybe it's the open pore wood trim?  ;)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The Koreans sell on features and price. My personal experience tells me there is simply less engineering in a Korean car. They are not as solid and do not drive as well as premium brands like Audi, Acura and Lexus, to name a few.

I guess we can agree to disagree.  My personal experience tells me that with every new product, Hyundai is closing the already minuscule gap even further.  I drove the Santa Fe XL to (and through) Manhattan and back with a full load of gear and people -- it never skipped a beat.  Everything about it felt as solid, refined and as well-built as any Japanese equivalent -- MDX included.  Likewise, the Highlander is a very well-sorted and comfortable machine. 

Again, don't get me wrong, I really like the MDX and think it's very well done.  It's just that some of the newer designs from "non-premium brands" are very nearly as good and cost MUCH less.

MUCH less to purchase, and maintain.  And then there is gas, most premium brands require premium gas.  Adds up over 6-7 year ownership, especially on these larger vehicles..

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2015, 11:04:55 am »

Jeff, maybe a good way to test your hypothesis will be the new Pilot.  Obviously it won't be quite as well equipped as the MDX, but it should have the same "quality" feel, should it not?  Assuming it is priced comparably to the Santa Fe XL and Highlander, it will be a fair bit cheaper than the MDX.  Perhaps another in-family comparison test is in order - new Pilot vs MDX - to see what the Acura buyer actually gets for the price premium (and then the obligatory debate on the "value" of that price premium...)
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 11:43:37 am by SaskSpecV »

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2015, 11:16:49 am »

Jeff, maybe a good way to test your hypothesis will be the new Pilot.  Obviously it won't be quite as well equipped as the MDX, but it should have the same "quality" feel, should it not?  Assuming it is priced comparably to the Santa Fe XL and Highlander, it will be a fair bit cheaper than the MDX.  Perhaps another in-family comparison test is in order - new Pilot vs MDX - to see what the Acura buyer premium actually gets for the price premium (and then the obligatory debate on the "value" of that price premium...)

I like this idea.... 

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2015, 12:19:57 pm »

Jeff, maybe a good way to test your hypothesis will be the new Pilot.  Obviously it won't be quite as well equipped as the MDX, but it should have the same "quality" feel, should it not?  Assuming it is priced comparably to the Santa Fe XL and Highlander, it will be a fair bit cheaper than the MDX.  Perhaps another in-family comparison test is in order - new Pilot vs MDX - to see what the Acura buyer premium actually gets for the price premium (and then the obligatory debate on the "value" of that price premium...)

I like this idea....

That would be a neat idea for a comparison test.
I've seen a couple of very favourable reviews of the 2016 Acura ILX.  Sounds as though Acura finally got it right... in fact it was sounding to me very much like the original TSX, which would be a great thing in my book.

A comparison between the ILX and a full load Civic would be interesting.  Pricing for the full-load A-Spec ILX was $36,000 US, so i suppose well over $40 here.... don't know if the appeal would be there at that price point.