Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Acura MDX  (Read 21217 times)

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Acura MDX
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2015, 11:02:02 pm »
Is the MDX really worth twice the price of a Sorento or a Santa Fe ??
If you load up Sorento/Santa Fe with features to be equal to the base MDX, the Acura will cost more but it will not be double the price. Is it worth the difference? That's a personal question.  One can argue that Santa Fe is not worth twice the price of base Civic. And Civic is not worth twice the price of 2 year old Elantra.... And 2 year old Elantra....   You get the picture?

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2015, 02:12:16 am »
Yeah - I also like the looks of my gen. Less "van-ish" and still handsome.

I think all the new Acura models including the TLX look too plain

Poor Acura, just can't get a break. When the first TL came out, the buff rags railed about "generic styling." When Honda stupidly listened to the industry shills and came out with the 2009 TL, it was universally derided as being "weird."

I have had two TL's now, and both are very satisfactory cars. Nothing is stellar, but I don't drive on a race track, ever. The cars are excellent daily drivers, go down the road well, are good in the city and on long trips, are about as reliable as rocks and have reasonable running costs. I would expect the same from the 2015 MDX.

The 2004-2008 TL is one of the best looking Acuras ever.

Agreed. That's why I have one, and have no intention of getting anything else.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2015, 08:23:29 am »
Yeah - I also like the looks of my gen. Less "van-ish" and still handsome.

I think all the new Acura models including the TLX look too plain

Poor Acura, just can't get a break. When the first TL came out, the buff rags railed about "generic styling." When Honda stupidly listened to the industry shills and came out with the 2009 TL, it was universally derided as being "weird."

I have had two TL's now, and both are very satisfactory cars. Nothing is stellar, but I don't drive on a race track, ever. The cars are excellent daily drivers, go down the road well, are good in the city and on long trips, are about as reliable as rocks and have reasonable running costs. I would expect the same from the 2015 MDX.

The 2004-2008 TL is one of the best looking Acuras ever.
This.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 10:24:42 am »
I agree with your assessment Vanstar. As an owner of two Acuras nothing is spectacular but everything is good and super reliable. Actually, sound system is excellent.

Been driving my folks 2015 Q7 all week. Certainly a better car than our MDX but not exceptionally better.

Yes, but isn't a fully loaded Highlander or Santa Fe XL likely to be an unspectacular but good and super reliable vehicle too?  With the exception of the Elite level trim for the MDX (which gives the steering and braking aids), everything you get on it can be had on vehicles that compare very favourably on paper and cost much less.  How much is the Acura badge worth?
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Northernridge

« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 10:48:49 am »
I agree with your assessment Vanstar. As an owner of two Acuras nothing is spectacular but everything is good and super reliable. Actually, sound system is excellent.

Been driving my folks 2015 Q7 all week. Certainly a better car than our MDX but not exceptionally better.

Yes, but isn't a fully loaded Highlander or Santa Fe XL likely to be an unspectacular but good and super reliable vehicle too?  With the exception of the Elite level trim for the MDX (which gives the steering and braking aids), everything you get on it can be had on vehicles that compare very favourably on paper and cost much less.  How much is the Acura badge worth?

A derisive question. You seem be implying that if the spec/feature sheets are the same, the vehicles in question are equal overall – is this what you mean? It's not very often that someone suggests Acura commands a premium because of the badge.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 11:20:58 am by Northernridge »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #45 on: February 09, 2015, 11:18:44 am »

A derisive question. You seem be implying that if the spec/feature sheets are the same, the vehicles in question are equal overall – is this what you mean?. It's not very often that someone suggests Acura commands a premium because of the badge.

But the badge certainly is a part of the equation.

Offline Loudpedal

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +6/-6
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Acura TL '08 Honda Odyssey
« Reply #46 on: February 09, 2015, 01:04:14 pm »
The 2004-2008 TL is one of the best looking Acuras sedans ever.
FTFY.

The sales figures agree too.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/acura-tl-sales-figures.html

Between 04 and 06 the TL sold over 70k units a year in the US, peaking out over 78k.

By comparison the 4th generation was a disaster, hanging around the low 30k range. By comparison, in the worst year for the 3G TL it still moved 46k units (and that was 2008, economic crisis, pre-cash-for-clunkers, and last year of that model run).

There is a black TL-S in my neighbourhood. Still looks fantastic.

I totally agree.   The 3Gen TL still looks great after all these years.     Shame it didn't have SH-AWD in that generation...
Internal combustion thrust I trust

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2015, 08:02:55 pm »
Remember that features don't mean luxury Jeff. As a driver as a German car you know what I'm talking about. FWIW my MDX feels much more "luxurious" than the Hyundai/Toyotas/Hondas/Mazdas we test drove 3-4 years ago.

FWIW the Q7 I'm driving for two weeks now feels almost a class better than the MDX in terms of "je ne sais quoi"

Yes but isn't your MDX 5 years old?  I am sure the newer MDX, would do better than the previous.  Not saying the Q7 still wouldn't drive better, with it's longer wheelbase and all.  But the gap would feel closer...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #48 on: February 09, 2015, 08:20:01 pm »
Remember that features don't mean luxury Jeff. As a driver as a German car you know what I'm talking about. FWIW my MDX feels much more "luxurious" than the Hyundai/Toyotas/Hondas/Mazdas we test drove 3-4 years ago.

FWIW the Q7 I'm driving for two weeks now feels almost a class better than the MDX in terms of "je ne sais quoi"

Agreed.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 09, 2015, 09:16:28 pm »
I was part of the autos.ca luxury SUV test earlier in the year comparing a number of these. My opinion still stands....MDX is fantastic value and a great family vehicle but not among the class leaders for "luxury."

But again, you pay more for the big dogs.

As I mentioned before as well, I think I like the interior of our gen more than the new one.....influenced slightly by my love of buttons, however

It's what I dislike the most about the MDX interior.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 09, 2015, 09:24:28 pm »
My gen or new ron?

Yours. Too many buttons cluttered up an otherwise nice interior.

I feel the same way about any car with a bazillion buttons...not Acura specific.  I HATED all the buttons on the Panamera too for example.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #51 on: February 09, 2015, 10:05:38 pm »
My gen or new ron?

I feel the same way about any car with a bazillion buttons...not Acura specific.  I HATED all the buttons on the Panamera too for example.
Porsche is notoriously bad for buttons.  I remember driving a Cayenne S a couple of years ago and thinking how many bloody buttons there were.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 09, 2015, 10:07:31 pm »
My gen or new ron?

Porsche is notoriously bad for buttons.  I remember driving a Cayenne S a couple of years ago and thinking how many bloody buttons there were.

Definitely the newer Porsches.  My 911 has few buttons...it doesn't even have a glovebox!   ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #53 on: February 09, 2015, 11:46:45 pm »
Still think this is the mid size SUV to beat.

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2015, 08:54:53 am »

Exactly my point.  Features don't mean luxury -- so in the case of the MDX, what does?  I ask again, is it the badge?  The driving experience, quality of build and for the most part, the materials of the current generation Highlander Limited and Santa Fe XL (both of which I've spent at least a few hundred kms driving) is so darned close to the MDX, I'm not sure what makes it worth the extra 5-figure $.  Maybe it's the open pore wood trim?  ;)

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2015, 01:23:14 pm »

Exactly my point.  Features don't mean luxury -- so in the case of the MDX, what does?  I ask again, is it the badge?  The driving experience, quality of build and for the most part, the materials of the current generation Highlander Limited and Santa Fe XL (both of which I've spent at least a few hundred kms driving) is so darned close to the MDX, I'm not sure what makes it worth the extra 5-figure $.  Maybe it's the open pore wood trim?  ;)

You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The Koreans sell on features and price. My personal experience tells me there is simply less engineering in a Korean car. They are not as solid and do not drive as well as premium brands like Audi, Acura and Lexus, to name a few.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »
You can put lipstick on a pig, but it's still a pig. The Koreans sell on features and price. My personal experience tells me there is simply less engineering in a Korean car. They are not as solid and do not drive as well as premium brands like Audi, Acura and Lexus, to name a few.
i think that gap is narrowing though...the Genesis sedan is a heck of a good car, period.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2015, 05:07:52 pm »
Turbo Bob took one look under his Genesis coupe and said "that's why it's so cheap"

Certainly not as well engineered.

But did he know what he was looking at?   ;D

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2015, 05:54:12 pm »
Turbo Bob took one look under his Genesis coupe and said "that's why it's so cheap"

Certainly not as well engineered.

But did he know what he was looking at?   ;D
i am curious what it was he was referencing.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2015, 08:32:56 pm »
He was looking for British Standard Whitworth fittings.  ;D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken