Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Acura MDX  (Read 21219 times)

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Acura MDX
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 01:21:53 pm »
"...Acura’s upsized SUV is all about and what people love about it. Indeed, the MDX is a well-conceived, well-designed and very well built machine for larger families led by parental units with egos too fragile to buy an even more practical Honda Odyssey. Or maybe those too self-important to be seen in a more affordable Honda Pilot."

LOL...hilarious line.    IMHO, the MDX is the best all round mid-size SUV for the money, and it would be my choice for wifey if we were not so happy with our Odyssey (2nd one).   

Back in November, we had both the new and the previous models parked in our driveway.
:) And that's what my wife said - "When it is time to replace the Odyssey, MDX is what I want"

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 02:47:30 pm »
"...Acura’s upsized SUV is all about and what people love about it. Indeed, the MDX is a well-conceived, well-designed and very well built machine for larger families led by parental units with egos too fragile to buy an even more practical Honda Odyssey. Or maybe those too self-important to be seen in a more affordable Honda Pilot."

LOL...hilarious line.    IMHO, the MDX is the best all round mid-size SUV for the money, and it would be my choice for wifey if we were not so happy with our Odyssey (2nd one).   
sounds like a Honda fanboy. Wow you are one!!!!
Bombastic

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 04:44:46 pm »
As an LR4 driver I find almost all other SUVs excessively swoopy. ;)  The MDX is near the top of the list if I ever tire of British bricks. I don't like the touchscreen trend either, at least with the Land Rover I can turn it off and use traditional buttons. Do any of you MDX drivers  find the 260ish ft/lbs low? I would imagine a loaded MDX with a ski box etc would be a more than a match for engine.. Somewhat like my Ridgeline. Another 50 ft/lbs would be appreciated.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 05:15:39 pm »
One of the best values in the segment, IMO.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 05:29:31 pm »
As an LR4 driver I find almost all other SUVs excessively swoopy. ;)  The MDX is near the top of the list if I ever tire of British bricks. I don't like the touchscreen trend either, at least with the Land Rover I can turn it off and use traditional buttons. Do any of you MDX drivers  find the 260ish ft/lbs low? I would imagine a loaded MDX with a ski box etc would be a more than a match for engine.. Somewhat like my Ridgeline. Another 50 ft/lbs would be appreciated.
See my pic above.  4 people + dog + tons of stuff (my older daughter moving to university) + bike and tall box on the roof on a cross country epic trip.  I wished for better nav and entertainment setup but not for more power.
And overall fuel economy on the whole trip was just above 9L/100km.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 05:32:38 pm by ipolski »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2015, 10:59:20 am »
See my pic above.  4 people + dog + tons of stuff (my older daughter moving to university) + bike and tall box on the roof on a cross country epic trip.  I wished for better nav and entertainment setup but not for more power.

That's good. The 267 ft lbs at 4200 RPM thing had me nervous. What elevation were you at? Did you go across the country?

Offline CAS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta VR6, GTI 1.8T, 330ci, RSX, SAAB 9-3 2.0T, '13 Accord 6-sp, '15 GTI 4dr w/6-sp
« Reply #26 on: February 07, 2015, 12:01:14 pm »
Surprisingly, the direct injected 3.5 pulls quite well even though it's 267 lb-ft @4200.  For such a heavy vehicle, it sprints to 96 km/h in 6.4 seconds according to Car and Driver. I think the engine dynamics is much improved compared to the non direct injection 3.5.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #27 on: February 07, 2015, 12:38:47 pm »

That's good. The 267 ft lbs at 4200 RPM thing had me nervous. What elevation were you at? Did you go across the country?

We traveled Calgary -> Montreal -> Calgary plus lots of trips around Quebec, New York and New Jersey. 5 weeks.
Don't get me wrong, more power is always better, this is a car forum after all.  But for family duties the MDX has plenty.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #28 on: February 07, 2015, 01:20:10 pm »

We traveled Calgary -> Montreal -> Calgary plus lots of trips around Quebec, New York and New Jersey. 5 weeks.
Don't get me wrong, more power is always better, this is a car forum after all.  But for family duties the MDX has plenty.
For reference, Calgary has an elevation around 3700ft.

Offline Vanstar

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-236
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Acura TL, 2015 Kia Rio5
« Reply #29 on: February 07, 2015, 02:36:17 pm »
Yeah - I also like the looks of my gen. Less "van-ish" and still handsome.

I think all the new Acura models including the TLX look too plain

Poor Acura, just can't get a break. When the first TL came out, the buff rags railed about "generic styling." When Honda stupidly listened to the industry shills and came out with the 2009 TL, it was universally derided as being "weird."

I have had two TL's now, and both are very satisfactory cars. Nothing is stellar, but I don't drive on a race track, ever. The cars are excellent daily drivers, go down the road well, are good in the city and on long trips, are about as reliable as rocks and have reasonable running costs. I would expect the same from the 2015 MDX.
I'd never join a group that would have me as a member.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2015, 03:12:02 pm »
Yeah - I also like the looks of my gen. Less "van-ish" and still handsome.

I think all the new Acura models including the TLX look too plain

Poor Acura, just can't get a break. When the first TL came out, the buff rags railed about "generic styling." When Honda stupidly listened to the industry shills and came out with the 2009 TL, it was universally derided as being "weird."

I have had two TL's now, and both are very satisfactory cars. Nothing is stellar, but I don't drive on a race track, ever. The cars are excellent daily drivers, go down the road well, are good in the city and on long trips, are about as reliable as rocks and have reasonable running costs. I would expect the same from the 2015 MDX.

The 2004-2008 TL is one of the best looking Acuras ever.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2015, 03:42:09 pm »
The 2004-2008 TL is one of the best looking Acuras sedans ever.
FTFY.

The sales figures agree too.

http://www.goodcarbadcar.net/2011/01/acura-tl-sales-figures.html

Between 04 and 06 the TL sold over 70k units a year in the US, peaking out over 78k.

By comparison the 4th generation was a disaster, hanging around the low 30k range. By comparison, in the worst year for the 3G TL it still moved 46k units (and that was 2008, economic crisis, pre-cash-for-clunkers, and last year of that model run).

There is a black TL-S in my neighbourhood. Still looks fantastic.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline tazcubed

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +18/-26
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Subaru Forester, 2013 Ford Explorer Sport (sold), 2016 Tesla Model S 90D
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2015, 05:10:57 pm »
It's not really a beak anymore. I find the looks of it quite fine.....I think this new one lags behind with the interior more than anything else. My current gen interior feels nicer than the new one.

(Cleaned sunglasses - looked again). Oh, I see, perhaps it's the glare coming off of the chrome schnoz... ;D 

Offline Ace

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +11/-61
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 14' Hyundai Santa Fe Sport , 06' Nissan XTrail
« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2015, 06:58:22 pm »
Is the MDX really worth twice the price of a Sorento or a Santa Fe ??

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2015, 07:51:17 pm »

Old issue.  Why target Acura specifically ?  Twice the price?  Santa Fe XL base 32k with freight, MDX base 55k with freight, Q7 base 60k the freight.  Your comparing mainstream vs luxury, different features, performance, quality, etc.  Is a Chrysler Town & Country worth $10k more than a Dodge Caravan?   Does anbody think Chrysler is a luxury division? 

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2015, 07:55:49 pm »
From a purely rational perspective? Probably not worth it.

But if the world were entirely hyper rational nobody would ever buy, let alone produce, art.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2015, 08:12:17 pm »

Old issue.  Why target Acura specifically ?  Twice the price?  Santa Fe XL base 32k with freight, MDX base 55k with freight, Q7 base 60k the freight.  Your comparing mainstream vs luxury, different features, performance, quality, etc.  Is a Chrysler Town & Country worth $10k more than a Dodge Caravan?   Does anbody think Chrysler is a luxury division?

I wouldn't consider the Santa Fe a competitor, but I believe the Buick Acadia is, as Acura isn't quite up to their luxury competitors...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 08:18:44 pm »

:iagree:

I wouldn't consider the Santa Fe a competitor, but I believe the Buick Acadia is, as Acura isn't quite up to their luxury competitors...

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 08:45:20 pm »

??? Yes! fack.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 09:54:24 pm »

??? Yes! fack.

More to the point I think it actually competes pretty well with the ML/X5/Q7 crowd. Is it completely on the same level in all the details? No. But do you have to be an OCD guy like me to really notice? Probably.