Author Topic: Family Sedan Suggestions  (Read 24011 times)

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2015, 08:14:59 am »
Some points to consider here:

1) Do you need AWD if so only option here is the Outback (from your list) (2015 update\refreshed)
2) If Camry was on radar the hybrid seems like the way to go based on price and efficiency (2015 update\refreshed)
3) Like the Accord either V6 or hybrid but they are most likely above list price range. Also keep in mind that an update will most likely happen for the 2016 model year.

Best of luck. Can't really go wrong with any choice. My money based on my ownership experience is on the Outback. I currently own a 5th gen Legacy and have owned a Camry previously.

I'm with you on the new Mazda 6, can't fit in it properly. Hard to get in\out and see out. Apparently not made for N.A. drivers over 5'8.

Are you 90 years old? No complaints from the people who have driven mine.  I admit the backseat is tighter than most mid size sedans.

AWD a priority?  Is your RAV4 AWD?  Hard to go wrong in this segment.  You want quiet?  Try a Buick Lacrosse, decent room, can be had in AWD, good deals.

Ingress and Egress depends largely on height. At 6'1 I found the new Mazda 6 to be difficult compared to the new Legacy. Maybe not an issue in the summer but an issue when wearing bulking winter wear for me.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2015, 10:49:00 am »
He's in Vancouver? Why would he need AWD?

Maybe he frequently drives into the mountains.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2015, 10:50:40 am »
He's in Vancouver? Why would he need AWD?

Maybe he frequently drives into the mountains.

Good he doesn't take a plane  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2015, 10:53:52 am »
Some points to consider here:

1) Do you need AWD if so only option here is the Outback (from your list) (2015 update\refreshed)
2) If Camry was on radar the hybrid seems like the way to go based on price and efficiency (2015 update\refreshed)
3) Like the Accord either V6 or hybrid but they are most likely above list price range. Also keep in mind that an update will most likely happen for the 2016 model year.

Best of luck. Can't really go wrong with any choice. My money based on my ownership experience is on the Outback. I currently own a 5th gen Legacy and have owned a Camry previously.

I'm with you on the new Mazda 6, can't fit in it properly. Hard to get in\out and see out. Apparently not made for N.A. drivers over 5'8.

Are you 90 years old? No complaints from the people who have driven mine.  I admit the backseat is tighter than most mid size sedans.

AWD a priority?  Is your RAV4 AWD?  Hard to go wrong in this segment.  You want quiet?  Try a Buick Lacrosse, decent room, can be had in AWD, good deals.

Ingress and Egress depends largely on height. At 6'1 I found the new Mazda 6 to be difficult compared to the new Legacy. Maybe not an issue in the summer but an issue when wearing bulking winter wear for me.

Alright, I can't comment on 6'1, but you said over 5'8, which is a big difference. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2015, 11:09:28 am »
If I lived in Vancouver I'd want an EV for getting around town and an AWD wagon for forays to the mountains.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2015, 12:02:02 pm »
I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid and I wouldn't buy one again. The refreshed model is supposed to be better but I wouldn't buy one

The technical aspects of the vehicle have not changed.  Allegedly quieter, we'll see.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »
He's in Vancouver? Why would he need AWD? I guess it comes down to personal preference, features and budget. Camry, Fusion, Sonata, Accord, Legacy - they're all pretty good. A hybrid would be a good choice but be prepared to sell it when the drivetrain/battery warranties expire. I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid and I wouldn't buy one again. The refreshed model is supposed to be better but I wouldn't buy one. Just go and drive them all until one stands out. We're lucky as it's a competitive and solid segment.

Why not? 

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2015, 12:26:41 pm »
He's in Vancouver? Why would he need AWD? I guess it comes down to personal preference, features and budget. Camry, Fusion, Sonata, Accord, Legacy - they're all pretty good. A hybrid would be a good choice but be prepared to sell it when the drivetrain/battery warranties expire. I have a 2012 Camry Hybrid and I wouldn't buy one again. The refreshed model is supposed to be better but I wouldn't buy one. Just go and drive them all until one stands out. We're lucky as it's a competitive and solid segment.

Why not?

.....it's a Camry....    ;D

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2015, 01:21:34 pm »
Vancouver has hills that can make the rare snow fall challenging and winter tires a must have even in our mild climate. AWD is a nice to have to assist in start off traction up hills.

The 6 is more of a world car midsize on the smaller side for North American tastes like the TSX and Kizashi. The Accord is super roomy. Same with the Passat. Both provide really good value. Altima is ok, some nice features in the upper trims but I'd be wary of that CVT of theirs. Of course you have the American trio -- 200, Fusion, Malibu.

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2015, 06:54:16 pm »
Vancouver has hills that can make the rare snow fall challenging and winter tires a must have even in our mild climate. AWD is a nice to have to assist in start off traction up hills.

The 6 is more of a world car midsize on the smaller side for North American tastes like the TSX and Kizashi. The Accord is super roomy. Same with the Passat. Both provide really good value. Altima is ok, some nice features in the upper trims but I'd be wary of that CVT of theirs. Of course you have the American trio -- 200, Fusion, Malibu.

Correct, especially considering my house is on a hill, and my workplace also resides on a hill, and both places usually are among the last to get plowed.

Will look at the Honda Accord, but I will be wary of the CVT in the Honda; had a neighbour who's Accord's transmission blew up on him.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #30 on: February 06, 2015, 06:55:58 pm »
The six-speed manual by Honda is very nice  ;)

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #31 on: February 06, 2015, 07:18:41 pm »
My Odyssey's transmission is blowing up on me. Well it's still holding together thanks to my tender loving care, but I'm not going to bother doing the timing belt and just let the van expire when it expires. Honda has made some strides with the newer 08+ Odyssey transmissions but now they're trying something new again with CVTs and the ZF transmissions and that scares me.

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 06, 2015, 07:46:43 pm »
The six-speed manual by Honda is very nice  ;)

Unfortunately, I don't drive manual, and nor does anyone else in the family.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #33 on: February 06, 2015, 08:27:30 pm »
had a neighbour who's Accord's transmission blew up on him.

WOW!  Hospitalization?

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 06, 2015, 08:30:12 pm »
had a neighbour who's Accord's transmission blew up on him.

WOW!  Hospitalization?

2003 Accord. Enough said.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 06, 2015, 08:38:51 pm »
Will look at the Honda Accord, but I will be wary of the CVT in the Honda; had a neighbour who's Accord's transmission blew up on him.

Assumed you where talking about the CVT.  Works awesome and no reported issues. Try one out.  Only downside is the above average road noise.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2015, 08:49:18 pm »

Assumed you where talking about the CVT.  Works awesome and no reported issues. Try one out.  Only downside is the above average road noise.

No reported issues....yet.  I think it's too early to say they are reliable.  These aren't the same CVT's they have made before.  Not enough time has gone by to declare them reliable.  I would get the extended warranty, if choosing a Honda CVT or 9 speed auto...

Offline Agiledood

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +32/-11
    • View Profile
    • Visit my site
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2015, 09:27:44 pm »
What about a 200S? Without AWD and the V6 it's around 28K. 31K for AWD.  I'd consider the Regal too. It'll be nice and quiet and you could probably get a good deal since they aren't selling all that well.

I'd take a Mazda6 myself.

I don't think there's a bad car in the mid-size segment nowadays, well, counting out the Malibu and Optima since they're the last 2 (I think) to get a significant redesign.
2019 Mazda 3 GS-L, 2013 Ram 1500 and an EV that cost 5 times what my Mazda3 costs but is louder with a crappier interior.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2015, 09:36:04 pm »
Fusion SE or base Titanium

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2015, 09:38:35 pm »
These aren't the same CVT's they have made before.

???