Author Topic: Family Sedan Suggestions  (Read 24023 times)

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
Family Sedan Suggestions
« on: February 05, 2015, 12:39:50 am »
I'm in the market for a new mid-sized sedan as a replacement for the Pointblank-mobile (my RAV4).

Details: My budget is around $33,000 all in. I'm driving it primarily to work and back in Vancouver, about 11km one way. I'm looking for a quiet, fairly roomy sedan that handles well within the budget range.

I've recently had a chance to test drive both the Toyota Camry SE and the Subaru Legacy Touring Package. Based upon my test drives, the following conclusions could be made:

Legacy: I've had the chance to really test drive it for more than the usual test drive (they just took down my name, handed me the keys to one and told me to come back before closing), and drove it around on the things I usually do. Very competent handling, and super quiet, with barely any engine noise. Excellent visibility as well.

Camry: Only got a chance to do a short test drive around the block, and only part way. It's noisier than the Legacy, especially when accelerating, as you hear the growl of the engine. There's also the dead spot with the Camry's steering, although its better than previous generations. But otherwise, it's a competent cruiser, and working on it will be familiar.

Based upon my ownership cost calculations, the Legacy wins out; it's actually cheaper to insure, and drinks less gas. It's currently my first choice, with the Camry coming in second.

Looking if there are other vehicles that are worth considering as part of my short list that I test drive before I make a decision.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
Re: Family Sedan Suggestions
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 12:56:26 am »
i don't think anyone would argue with your choice, but just throwing it out there, Mazda 6 is apparently pretty good.

If i were in 33k family sedan market, it would be accord or subie as you chose.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:02:27 am »
Have you looked at the Camry Hybrid?  2014s are going for decent pricing.  I see on Toyota's site you can get a 2014 Camry Hybrid SE for about $32K all in. 
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 01:21:55 am »

it would be accord or subie as you chose.

Yep...Accord is nice too.

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2015, 01:25:30 am »
i don't think anyone would argue with your choice, but just throwing it out there, Mazda 6 is apparently pretty good.

If i were in 33k family sedan market, it would be accord or subie as you chose.
I had a chance to sit in the Mazda 6 last year at the Vancouver Auto Show; its a bit cramped. Also, I could not get myself into a comfortable driving position with my hands on the 3 and 9 position and the elbows on the rests. Strange.

The Accord: I will look at that next. However, I see that it has an all-new CVT transmission for the 4 cylinder model, and Honda's have been hit or miss with their automatic transmissions as of lately. I tend to keep my cars for a while; my RAV4 is not getting sold, it will soldier on after I pass it on to my family. Should I be concerned?

Have you looked at the Camry Hybrid?  2014s are going for decent pricing.  I see on Toyota's site you can get a 2014 Camry Hybrid SE for about $32K all in.
I test drove one a while back. Dear god, it drove like an appliance. Not too many left according to my dealer as well locally, so if I went that route, I would have to compromise on something potentially.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2015, 01:33:50 am »

I test drove one a while back. Dear god, it drove like an appliance. Not too many left according to my dealer as well locally, so if I went that route, I would have to compromise on something potentially.

How long ago?  The 1st gen one was, as you point out, quite tepid.  The next gen is better (and has more power).  A couple members here have them.  I'm sure they'll be by to chime in.

If you want to keep the car really long term...you best bets are either Accord or Camry (or Lexus).  A Certified Pre Owned Lexus ES350...but it would be a 2012ish one for your budget.

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:54:27 am »

How long ago?  The 1st gen one was, as you point out, quite tepid.  The next gen is better (and has more power).  A couple members here have them.  I'm sure they'll be by to chime in.

If you want to keep the car really long term...you best bets are either Accord or Camry (or Lexus).  A Certified Pre Owned Lexus ES350...but it would be a 2012ish one for your budget.

I test drove a 2013, so not that long ago.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 09:41:00 am »
The Accord: I will look at that next. However, I see that it has an all-new CVT transmission for the 4 cylinder model, and Honda's have been hit or miss with their automatic transmissions as of lately. I tend to keep my cars for a while; my RAV4 is not getting sold, it will soldier on after I pass it on to my family. Should I be concerned?

FYI the Legacy is also a CVT.  You can get either the Legacy or the Accord with a 6-spd manual in the lower trims, FYI.

If it was my money, I'd probably be looking at the Accord Sport 6-spd (one up from base).  I think the Accord will be the most efficient mid-size sedan offering on the market right now, and will probably have the best driving dynamics, too.

After freight, levies, and Manitoba Taxes (13%) the Sport 6-spd comes in at $30 018.  Add the CVT to that and it jumps to $31 487 all in.

The next trim up (EX-L) jumps up to $35 555, so that's probably out of the picture.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 09:46:29 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2015, 09:52:25 am »
Some points to consider here:

1) Do you need AWD if so only option here is the Outback (from your list) (2015 update\refreshed)
2) If Camry was on radar the hybrid seems like the way to go based on price and efficiency (2015 update\refreshed)
3) Like the Accord either V6 or hybrid but they are most likely above list price range. Also keep in mind that an update will most likely happen for the 2016 model year.

Best of luck. Can't really go wrong with any choice. My money based on my ownership experience is on the Outback. I currently own a 5th gen Legacy and have owned a Camry previously.

I'm with you on the new Mazda 6, can't fit in it properly. Hard to get in\out and see out. Apparently not made for N.A. drivers over 5'8.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 03:35:15 pm by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 10:45:31 am »
Personally I'd get the Legacy just for the AWD.

It's almost impossible to make a bad choice in the segment - all the cars are very good.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 10:58:55 am »
Well this past summer I drove a few midsize sedans so maybe I could offer some insight.  I drove the Mazda 6 and thought it was a very good vehicle, has good balance of handling and comfort, good acceleration, but seemed a bit noisy at highway speeds.  Next we drove the honda accord, didn't mind the CVT, felt like there was less performance than the Mazda 6, it was extremely quite, but when going over uneven surfaces it rode really rough we felt.  Lastly we drove the VW Passat with the 1.8T.  It had the best acceleration that we felt, it was very quite (but not as quite as the Accord), rode the best over all surfaces, and offered good ergonomics.

Out of the 3 I would choose the VW Passat, but I wouldn't be planning on keeping it beyond it's warranty.  I didn't try the Camry as it doesn't offer a manual and it wasn't the new model.  Didn't try the Legacy as it was the old model and wouldn't be able to get past the styling inside or out.

I sat in a Hyundai Sonata and thought it was a very nice interior.  The exterior styling of the new one isn't as polarizing. 

Honestly you can't go wrong with the Legacy or Honda. 

If you have the time, I'd just test drive everything.  That's the easiest way to find out which you like the most.  I'd just try and take them all on similar test drives and perferably back to back.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 12:00:49 pm by JohnnyMac »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 04:06:17 pm »

1) Do you need AWD if so only option here is the Outback (from your list) (2015 update\refreshed)

Uhm...Fusion?
Might actually be better looking too.

Fusion AWD comes to $39 000 after taxes, though.  And it can go up from there if you start adding proximity key, sunroof, etc.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2015, 04:51:50 pm »

2) If Camry was on radar the hybrid seems like the way to go based on price and efficiency (2015 update\refreshed)
3) Like the Accord either V6 or hybrid but they are most likely above list price range. Also keep in mind that an update will most likely happen for the 2016 model year.

Best of luck. Can't really go wrong with any choice. My money based on my ownership experience is on the Outback. I currently own a 5th gen Legacy and have owned a Camry previously.

I'm with you on the new Mazda 6, can't fit in it properly. Hard to get in\out and see out. Apparently not made for N.A. drivers over 5'8.

Are you 90 years old? No complaints from the people who have driven mine.  I admit the backseat is tighter than most mid size sedans.

AWD a priority?  Is your RAV4 AWD?  Hard to go wrong in this segment.  You want quiet?  Try a Buick Lacrosse, decent room, can be had in AWD, good deals. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2015, 04:55:39 pm »
Fun to drive, awd......close to your budget....

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2015, 05:01:34 pm »
how is that roomy & quiet?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2015, 05:09:55 pm »
how is that roomy & quiet?

Its got 4 doors and Ive never found them to be very noisy.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2015, 06:03:48 pm »
I tested the Sonata Sonata Hybrid, it drove rather nice. Should give it a test.

You are keeping the car for a long time, should take the time and find something that satisfy at all category. If the Camry has that 'dead center' steering feel, just leave it out. Like others said, plenty choices, and can't really go wrong, just a matter of personal preferences.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2015, 06:26:08 pm »

Uhm...Fusion?
Might actually be better looking too.

Fusion AWD comes to $39 000 after taxes, though.  And it can go up from there if you start adding proximity key, sunroof, etc.

Fusion SE with 2.0L and AWD in Sask comes to $34k taxes and fees included. You can certainly load them up to $40k if you try.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2015, 09:46:41 pm »
Try the Accord.

Offline ipolski

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +12/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 540i-6M, Passat Wagon, Tundra, MDX
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2015, 01:26:31 am »
As others have said, there are no bad choices in this category.  If I was buying a family sedan today in this price range, it would be between the Accord Sport and Legacy Touring, both manual.