Author Topic: The New Porsche Cayman GT4 - A Purist's Wet Dream  (Read 18242 times)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
Re: The New Porsche Cayman GT4 - A Purist's Wet Dream
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 09:07:55 pm »
If I owed a GT$...see what I did there  :)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 09:14:54 pm »
To each their own obviously, but no way I'd take a Viper over this GT4.

Well it doesn't have to be a Viper.  Could be a brand new Z06, Audi RS5, Audi S7, 911, Tesla, etc.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2015, 09:43:50 pm »
The wing is not a visual garnish in this case. I believe it's a functional spoiler and designed to actually add downforce...up to 240lbs I think.

Perhaps aerodynamically/funtionally speaking, the wing has been integrated into the design.

there are a lot of cars much faster than this thing that didn't slap a big garish wing on the back....imo, the gts would be THE cayman to buy.

Sure but those cars are not necessarily designed with track use in mind, which the GT4 obviously is.

and the rest of the time you are driving it you look like a douche. 

How do you look like a douche driving your track spec awesome Porsche? Seriously, you come across as a douche thinking people who are driviing it automatically look like a douche, haha.

Chris Harris explains how the wing is integrated into the rest of the aero on the car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9-Sr8RPty4
Thank you for the compliment.  Ask about a dozen of your friends at work who aren't corvette fan boys...ask the women what they think when they see the Cayman gts and the Cayman gt4 with its big douche bag wing that will never be used by 98% of the people buying this car. Ask them their impressions.

I'm always amused at the myopia on this forum.

Your logic still makes no sense.   Nobody should be buying a GT4 with the goal of impressing non-car enthusiasts (at least I assume you were referring to non-car enthusiasts with "aren't corvette fan boys" and "women" - speaking of myopic....)

The GT4 is about driving the most race ready Cayman that Porsche factory produces.   The GTS is certainly the more subtle (and suitable) choice for 98% of drivers, and Porsche will happily sell them one.

But by your logic, why bother with the GTS?  Just get the base Cayman as most "women and non corvette fan boys" won't know the difference anyway. 

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-574
  • Profesional Dash Stroker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2015, 10:46:18 pm »

I so would.  The GT4 is an excellent car.  The Viper is just bonkers, and so much more of an event.  A stupid event for sure, but an event nonetheless.

I saw this pull in front of me on the skyway one day. It. Was. Epic.

:drool:

Choosing a car based on reliability is like choosing a wife based solely because she is punctual. There is more to it than that...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2015, 10:55:39 pm »
^^Yea....it would be bananas for sure!!  Would be hard not to have a huge smile while driving...or just staring at it in the garage.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2015, 11:04:06 pm »

I so would.  The GT4 is an excellent car.  The Viper is just bonkers, and so much more of an event.  A stupid event for sure, but an event nonetheless.

I saw this pull in front of me on the skyway one day. It. Was. Epic.

:drool:

oh, i would go for Viper too......  GT4 is all great and dandy.    Viper is just nuts.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2015, 11:17:13 pm »

oh, i would go for Viper too......  GT4 is all great and dandy.    Viper is just nuts.

Same goes for their owners.  ;) :)

A friend has a Viper Convertible, parked in the garage during winter. One night he asked his 12 year-old son to move a manual Jack-up Jeep park behind it. Kid didn't know Jeep was in gear, turned the key, and it climbed on top of Viper.

Good thing he had insurance, and he is one of those guys wouldn't let anyone else touch his car.

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2015, 11:20:15 pm »
Personally, I'd LOVE to look like a douche driving one of these.  This car wins on so many levels!!!    :drool: :drool: :drool:

I wonder if if would be a miserable street car though?

Depends on road condition?? running over a few grains of sand could consider uncomfortable for some.  :) :D

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2015, 09:38:29 am »
Oh boy. You guys are funny. 11k bucks more for a wing and you don't  mind embarrassing yourself.  And now you are talking about a viper???   😂

My point is, if this is a track car, go for it and put a roll cage in the bloody thing and race it.  Stop pretending. If I saw one of these with a roll cage downtown I would give the nod of approval.

didn't james say that porsches are the only cars that are track ready right out of the factory?

heck, no roll cage needed!!!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tundra, GTI, Triumph Tiger, KTM, C63 AMG, FZ-09, Triumph Speed Triple, VW Golf Wagon TDI, BMW 535i, Honda CRF250L, Hyundai Genesis Coupe, Mitsubishi Outlander, Lotus Exige, Subaru Impreza, Peugeot 106, BMW Z4, Toyota MR2 MKIII, Ford Sierra Sapphire
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2015, 10:43:50 am »
Oh boy. You guys are funny. 11k bucks more for a wing and you don't  mind embarrassing yourself.  And now you are talking about a viper???   

My point is, if this is a track car, go for it and put a roll cage in the bloody thing and race it.  Stop pretending. If I saw one of these with a roll cage downtown I would give the nod of approval.

didn't james say that porsches are the only cars that are track ready right out of the factory?

heck, no roll cage needed!!!

And Lotii

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2015, 12:59:55 pm »
I like the Cayman, but not the stupid pricing. Turns out, I'd skip this winged wonder also. Looks very F&F, I don't care if it's functional.

If the design required a wing that large, then there's something wrong with the aerodynamics. The Camaro Z28, Corvette Z06 and Viper GTS only need little ducktail spoilers for downforce, and they have considerably more performance potential.

I'd stick with the GTS, but really I'd skip Porsche altogether and get a Corvette.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2015, 01:14:26 pm »
After the divorce, I'm looking at Fiestas at best.  :P ;D

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2015, 01:14:58 pm »
I like the Cayman, but not the stupid pricing. Turns out, I'd skip this winged wonder also. Looks very F&F, I don't care if it's functional.

If the design required a wing that large, then there's something wrong with the aerodynamics. The Camaro Z28, Corvette Z06 and Viper GTS only need little ducktail spoilers for downforce, and they have considerably more performance potential.

I'd stick with the GTS, but really I'd skip Porsche altogether and get a Corvette.

you really should drive one though.  it's the best car i've ever driven.

Same here  :'(

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2015, 01:32:15 pm »
Oh boy. You guys are funny. 11k bucks more for a wing and you don't  mind embarrassing yourself.  And now you are talking about a viper???   😂

Why do you keep going with the grand assumptions?  Why do you assume everyone will be embarrassed as you say by driving this?  We get it, it's not your cup of tea.......but to assume that everyone that will purchase this is a douche that should be embarrassed is simply asinine.   ::)
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2015, 02:12:51 pm »
a manual tranny m235.  i can't wait to drive it.  8) i'm expecting it to be almost as nice as the cayman

It won't be anywhere close.

And just to put my CAD$0.02 in, I'd buy a new Exige S Cup instead of the Cayman.  Just as silly looking, significantly faster than the Cayman, ~600lbs lighter than the Cayman, and with much better steering.

http://www.lotuscars.com/racing/exige-v6-cup

I know Porsche fans won't like that opinion, but like Vman, I (pretend to) buy what I like, not what the internet likes.  I used to love driving a stripped out car every day.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2015, 06:09:07 pm »

Z06 has a lot more aero than the Cayman GT4 - I wouldn't call the look of the Z06 downplayed at all. Lol

The new Z06 actually has too much aero that creates excessive drag.  It's slower to 150MPH than the previous Z06..which had much, much less horsepower.  It's also slower to that same speed than other cars in it's class.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2015, 08:11:51 pm »
a manual tranny m235.  i can't wait to drive it.  8) i'm expecting it to be almost as nice as the cayman

And just to put my CAD$0.02 in, I'd buy a new Exige S Cup instead of the Cayman.  Just as silly looking, significantly faster than the Cayman, ~600lbs lighter than the Cayman, and with much better steering.

I know Porsche fans won't like that opinion, but like Vman, I (pretend to) buy what I like, not what the internet likes.  I used to love driving a stripped out car every day.

Nice kit car!

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2015, 08:57:34 pm »

Nice kit car!

Nice menoporsche!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2015, 09:30:24 pm »

Nice kit car!

Nice menoporsche!

Well....Lotus body/suspension with a different powertrain.  Kinda kit car, no?

Offline Triple Bob

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2015, 09:31:54 pm »

Nice kit car!

Nice menoporsche!

Well....Lotus body/suspension with a different powertrain.  Kinda kit car, no?

Ron, don't be a :censor: all of your life.