Author Topic: Quick Spin Winter Style: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek, Forester and Outback  (Read 10249 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Winter wonderland shows off Subaru's SUV big guns
Read More...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Quick Spin Winter Style: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek, Forester and Outback
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 08:19:21 am »
The Outback was a 3.6L V6 model, thankfully because that engine is the only I think is worthwhile in the Outback.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
Re: Quick Spin Winter Style: 2015 Subaru XV Crosstrek, Forester and Outback
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 08:20:37 am »
The Outback was a 3.6L V6 model, thankfully because that engine is the only I think is worthwhile in the Outback.

Oh goddamnit :banghead:
Thanks mate, good catch.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 09:33:17 am »
Nice write-up Jacob. :thumbup:

I miss the outright comfort of our Outback, but the XV has been exceeding expectations. I really like the little critter, CVT and all.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 09:53:34 am »
Such was the case when this one came across the desk. Jonathan: “Hey JacobNoto, there’s an event in Quebec in Janu–”
“Yep, mine. I’ll take that”.
“But it’s SUVs.”
Hmmm, maybe I shouldn’t hog all the winter launchesSTILL MINE!?”
“They’re Suba–”
“Done. Mine. I’ll take that, thanks”.
^^ fixed for next time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm appreciative of everything you guys have given me!!!, but you've read my post about this weekend - I'm all booked, going, and am doing the car rental with dreaded all-seasons.  I'm very afraid (funny thing, those Winter Tires, how they give you that sense of safety...).  So, to see that you got Subies with Winters in Quebec, I'm just floored with jealousy...that's all...and that I could have gone on a road trip with my bestie!

We whined about the CVT (because we’re auto journalists and if we don’t the other auto journalists get suspicious and ask if we float like a duck then burn us for witchcraft)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Classic, Jacob.  Classic.

My issues with the interior and the infotainment system have now been addressed with the next generation of radio and user interface in the Crosstrek – bravo Subaru!
I didn't know the interior updates came to the Crosstrek!  Very exciting!!!

Rapid U-turn completed we headed back to the entrance of the driveway but silly me drove past it by mistake. Three times.
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
Goddamn it, again, you now owe me a new keyboard...so filled with coffee :(

And if we’re honest, it’s the confidence you’re buying. Even in remote parts of Ontario or Quebec you can get to most things you want to get to with just about any winter-tire shod rig, be it SUV, sedan or otherwise.
^^ I think that's the best way a Subaru's charm has ever been put.  I wish I could show you a picture of the steep hill Lady Noto climbs and descends each day to/from work, but Google Street View doesn't cover it (Coincidence?  I think not).  She says that every day she has to drive around folks who can't make it up/down those hills.  I used to freak out and sit on the phone with her every day (bluetooth) until she was home, but the Forester takes care of her.  I wouldn't even dream of owning any other brand.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 09:54:42 am »
Thanks for the fun read - that was great!

...of course, would have been even funnier had Subaru brought a couple of WRXs along. For contrast, of course. Purely in the name of informative discourse.  ;D

As for the CVT vs manual thing, I guess fans of a standard should be happy that Subaru offers it at all. It would be nice if at least one of their CUVs offered a manual with the upgraded motor. I vote for the XV Crosstrek to get the WRX's powertrain options...

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 10:30:41 am »
I vote for the XV Crosstrek to get the WRX's powertrain options...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 10:40:06 am »

Great review Jacob, that was really informative and entertaining......as always yes, moar turbo, moar manual, death to CVTs  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 12:30:31 pm »

Easy now, the Focus RS thread is taking up all of Subaru's wish quota.

Offline nlm

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +58/-82
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2015, 12:32:14 pm »
What do you guys think about changing the title of the review/article to include the specific trims?

"Quick Spin Winter Style: 2015 Subaru Crosstrek Hybrid, Forester XT and Outback R"

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2015, 01:22:02 pm »
Great review, Jacob.

Although, I must say that the first image that came to mind when you described your obvious enthusiasm for the job was those Disney seagulls:   :rofl2: :rofl2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-3e0EkvIEM
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2015, 01:23:00 pm »
Great write up. Sounds like you may be a convert. As great as Subbie's are in the country snow I find them to be equally sure footed in the city ice capades.

I'm for the 2.5L with CVT being an option in the XV and Impreza.
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2015, 02:52:28 pm »
Nice article, thanks!  Very timely as well as I spent some time on the Subaru web site last night looking at trims, features and prices for the Forester, Legacy, Outback and WRX.  Meeting with the financial adviser next week and will be letting him know I may need some cash come June.

One thing I wish Subaru would do is make the Touring trim on the Forester the same for the 2.5i and XT.  For example, on the NA you get the heated windshield, but on the XT you need to go the Limited before getting that.  Some of these sorts of decisions I shake my head at.
2016 Subaru Forester XT

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2015, 03:00:49 pm »
^^ Heated windshield.  Now that's a feature I would pay for.  Not enough cars have them.  I would rather have that a sunroof, or heated steering wheel. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 03:25:39 pm »
^^ Heated windshield.  Now that's a feature I would pay for.  Not enough cars have them.  I would rather have that a sunroof, or heated steering wheel.

A fairly large section of the base of the windscreen on the Highlander is heated - it's a fantastic feature.  Our old Forester has the same thing, but the section is quite small and not as effective as the one on the Toyota.

The Mercedes' also had heated washer nozzles and the washer fluid was heated too.  I really appreciated those things.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 03:31:50 pm »
The windshield isn't heated - there's a small element only under the wiper (it's called a Windshield Wiper De-Icer).   That is odd regarding the XT touring not having it.  The 2.5 Touring also gets the roof rails, while the XT Touring doesn't.  Other than those two items, they are identically-equipped.

Offline Trainman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +24/-28
  • Tree Whisperer
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru Forester XT; 2017 Infiniti QX50; 2012 Toyota RAV4 Base AWD, the daughters car
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 04:10:39 pm »
The windshield isn't heated - there's a small element only under the wiper (it's called a Windshield Wiper De-Icer).   That is odd regarding the XT touring not having it.  The 2.5 Touring also gets the roof rails, while the XT Touring doesn't.  Other than those two items, they are identically-equipped.

Lawyers, always having to be so picky   :stick:  ;D

But I will say the windshield wiper de-icer (is this acceptable your honor?) on my '09 is very effective and has been a real blessing on many a drive.  I would not get a Forester without it now, and if I want the turbo, then that means a Limited  :(  Don't like nor want leather.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 04:26:08 pm »

Lawyers, always having to be so picky   :stick:  ;D

But I will say the windshield wiper de-icer (is this acceptable your honor?) on my '09 is very effective and has been a real blessing on many a drive.  I would not get a Forester without it now, and if I want the turbo, then that means a Limited  :(  Don't like nor want leather.

Subaru have had that feature for a while now as my 97 OBW hadi it and is a fantastic idea.  Any manufacturer that offers a winter package should include this as well imo.  I'd pick that over heated seats any day. 

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 04:45:46 pm »
My Santa Fe has it.  It's been so nice to have these past few weeks.  And, when I set my heater to Front Defrost, it not only turns on the wiper de-icers, but it also heats my side mirrors.  Awesome!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 05:25:10 pm »
My Santa Fe has it.  It's been so nice to have these past few weeks.  And, when I set my heater to Front Defrost, it not only turns on the wiper de-icers, but it also heats my side mirrors.  Awesome!

I believe most cars do that, the ones equipped (which are most cars).