Poll

How should Noto and his Turd of a friend get to Tremblant this weekend?

Porter flights (directly to Mont Tremblant) ($449pp)
2 (15.4%)
Via Rail ($190pp, but only goes to Mtl, thereafter we'd rent a car with winter tires for $29 for the weekend and return by train)
0 (0%)
Rent a car in the GTA ($87 all-in for the weekend, but 'new' all-season tires, according to the sack at the local rental car counter...)
4 (30.8%)
Don't bother going - too expensive, Tremblant is sh!t, and your friend is equally made of fecal matter
7 (53.8%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 05, 2015, 12:54:23 pm

Author Topic: Advice on transportation to/from Mont Tremblant from Toronto  (Read 13054 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on transportation to/from Mont Tremblant from Toronto
« Reply #60 on: February 04, 2015, 04:01:48 am »
Or just fly into Quebec City, rent a car a ski Le Massif.  THAT would be worth the cost.

The forecast isn't looking too ominous.  So you have that going for you.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #61 on: February 04, 2015, 10:22:09 am »
I must remind myself to NEVER allow you to do me any favors... :rofl: :rofl2:
Mission accomplished :)

What happens if it's puking snow on Sunday evening and roads are bad? Take Monday off and enjoy an extra day of pow, or white knuckle it home on Sunday evening no matter what?
Taking Monday off if necessary is an option, but not preferred since the entire week after I'm off for vacation.

You have useful information. You are useful. We will keep you around.
:love: :love: :love:  THANKS!

by the way, this is my policy:
CAR RENTAL COLLISION/LOSS
DAMAGE WAIVER INSURANCE
This coverage is underwritten by American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida.
For the purposes of the Car Rental Collision/Loss Damage Waiver Insurance, Insured Person means a Cardholder and any other person who holds a valid driver’s license and has the Cardholder’s express
permission to operate the rental vehicle. This includes drivers not listed on Your rental contract, provided they would otherwise qualify under the rental contract

Eligibility
You are eligible for Car Rental Collision/Loss Damage Waiver Insurance when You rent most private passenger vehicles on a daily or weekly basis for a period NOT to exceed 31 consecutive days, provided that:
(i) You initiate the rental transaction by booking or reserving the vehicle rental with Your ______Card and by providing Your _______Card as payment guarantee prior to the time You take possession of the vehicle;
(ii) You decline the rental agency’s collision damage waiver (CDW) or loss damage waiver (LDW), or similar provision; and
(iii) You rent the vehicle in Your name and charge the entire cost of the car rental to the Account and/or pay with _____ reward miles.

Benefits
Subject to the terms, exclusions and limits of liability set out in this Certificate of Insurance, You are provided with the same protection against losses arising from the contractual liability assumed when renting and operating a rental vehicle as You would have if You accepted the rental agency’s collision or loss damage waiver (or similar provision) up to the actual cash value of the damaged or stolen rental vehicle as well as any reasonable, valid and documented loss of use, reasonable and customary towing charges and administration charges resulting from damage or theft occurring while the rental vehicle is rented in Your name. Benefits are limited to one vehicle rental during any one period. If, during the same period, more than one vehicle is rented by the Cardholder, only the first rental will be eligible for these benefits.

This coverage is
available on a 24-hour basis anywhere in the world, except where prohibited by law, or where the coverage is in violation of the terms of the rental contract in the jurisdiction in which it was formed.

Limitations and Exclusions
Car Rental Collision/Loss Damage Waiver Insurance do not cover any loss caused or contributed to by:
(i) operation of the rental vehicle in violation of the law or any terms and conditions of the rental agreement/contract;
(ii) operation of the vehicle by any driver not so authorized;
(iii) operation of the vehicle by any driver not in possession of a driver’s license that is valid in the rental jurisdiction;
(iv) operation of the vehicle on other than regularly maintained roads;
(v) alcohol intoxication where the driver’s blood alcohol concentration is equal to or over the blood alcohol concentration limit for impaired driving under the Criminal Code of Canada or the jurisdiction in which the
vehicle rental occurred, if lower, or the driver is charged for impaired driving;
vi) use of narcotic by the driver;
(vii) nuclear reaction, radiation or radioactive contamination;
(viii) damage to tires unless in conjunction with an insured cause;
(ix) wear and tear, gradual deterioration, mechanical breakdown of vehicle;
(x) any damage caused by moving or transporting cargo;
(xi) insects or vermin, inherent vice or damage;
(xii) hostile or warlike action, insurrection, rebellion, revolution or civil war;
(xiii) seizure or destruction under quarantine or customs regulations or confiscation by any government
or public authority;
(xiv) transporting contraband or illegal trade;
(xv) transportation of property or passengers for hire; or
(xvi) any dishonest, fraudulent or criminal act committed or attempted by the Cardholder
and/or any authorized driver.
Of note, I'd be on the hook for a flat tire.  The insurance also doesn't cover 3rd party liability (my own insurance would cover that - so if there is an accident, but no 3rd party liability claim is made, there will be no effect on my personal insurance.

...but what I really like here is that you know how the car rental agencies say "if you want an authorized driver, you gotsta pay lots and lots of money"?  My coverage says, "rental agency, eff off.  You have no power here."  ...so, free additional drivers so long as I give them permission and they have a valid licence :)

Loves it.

It's not ideal.  I don't like it at all.  IF the driving is bad, I have new reservations in a bunch of cities - Kingston and Ottawa.  If we deem the winter tires to be a necessity, we will stop at those locations and pick up the second car (parking out first rental).  We will pick up that rental on the way home.

...but I'm finally going to get out skiing this winter!!  ...and we're meeting friends, so other locales were not a possibility.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #62 on: February 04, 2015, 10:29:49 am »
...but what I really like here is that you know how the car rental agencies say "if you want an authorized driver, you gotsta pay lots and lots of money"?

That hasn't been my experience. I rented a car in December added my girlfriend as a second driver at no extra cost.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 04, 2015, 10:31:37 am »
...but what I really like here is that you know how the car rental agencies say "if you want an authorized driver, you gotsta pay lots and lots of money"?

That hasn't been my experience. I rented a car in December added my girlfriend as a second driver at no extra cost.
None of the possible rental agencies offered this for my current rentals.  I called and was expressly told it would be a $25/day added charge.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #64 on: February 04, 2015, 10:32:34 am »
" the coverage is in violation of the terms of the rental contract in the jurisdiction in which it was formed. "

Letting people drive who are not named in the rental contract may well trigger that one in some countries.  Especially if the other person is under 25 or over 70.     Now it may be that if you pre-arrange your foreign rental here in Canada that will be OK. But I have done that MANY times for European car rental in in every case the actual rental contract has been the foreign form, signed in the foreign country.  FWIW my credit car has the same provisions as your vs  CDW/LDW
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #65 on: February 04, 2015, 10:39:41 am »

None of the possible rental agencies offered this for my current rentals.  I called and was expressly told it would be a $25/day added charge.

Wow that's ridiculous.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 04, 2015, 10:48:03 am »
" the coverage is in violation of the terms of the rental contract in the jurisdiction in which it was formed. "
Doctrine of Strict Construction: where two provisions are in direct conflict, the document will be construed in favour of the non-drafting party.  In other words,

Insured Person means a Cardholder and any other person who holds a valid driver’s license and has the Cardholder’s express permission to operate the rental vehicle. This includes drivers not listed on Your rental contract, provided they would otherwise qualify under the rental contract
You do not have to be named in order to otherwise qualify.

...besides, any insurer's argument relying on that provision would be quickly dismissed given that it's clear (and now well-documented here ;D) that I am relying on that provision of the contract.  It's a non-question.

3rd party liability IS a problem (not because I wouldn't have coverage, but if I were at fault and someone claimed against me, it would affect my rates).  Considering I drive defensively, it's a calculated risk.  If my buddy is driving, it's his risk.

In any event, I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express for 2 nights if anyone lives in the area and wants to join for an outdoor hot tub party with some Boreale!

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #67 on: February 04, 2015, 10:50:41 am »
I would rent a CUV with AWD.  Yes it isn't a substitute for winter tires, but I am sure it would perform better than a normal sedan with all seasons.  There is some ground clearance, and some traction with the AWD. 

But if it were me, no way would I go all the way to Tremblant for such a short time.  If I was leaving Friday morning, maybe.  But Friday night, out of Toronto, forget it!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 04, 2015, 11:46:18 am »
I would rent a CUV with AWD.  Yes it isn't a substitute for winter tires, but I am sure it would perform better than a normal sedan with all seasons.  There is some ground clearance, and some traction with the AWD. 

But if it were me, no way would I go all the way to Tremblant for such a short time.  If I was leaving Friday morning, maybe.  But Friday night, out of Toronto, forget it!
Fullsize sedan - $87.07, unlimited mileage.
CUV (Rav4 or similar) - $202.48, 600km included, $0.18/km thereafter.

No chance that sh!t AWD is worth the $ and >$125 in extra mileage fees.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #69 on: February 04, 2015, 11:57:16 am »
Jesus man....I think there are less logistics and planning when taking a regiment of tanks to Afghanistan....just rent a car and be done with it.....  :rofl:
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2015, 12:09:47 pm »

Didn't realize there was a big jump.  I have only rented a car twice.  Both times, unlimited mileage.  A Fusion with AWD in Banff.  And a Camaro V6 convertible.  Just take the sedan...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:58:47 pm by Solstice2006 »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2015, 12:16:52 pm »
Jesus man....I think there are less logistics and planning when taking a regiment of tanks to Afghanistan....just rent a car and be done with it.....  :rofl:

Know you know why lawyers get paid by the hour  :)  NoTo is starched off my list for GTG's, we would have to start now for 2016.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2015, 12:18:45 pm »

Know you know why lawyers get paid by the hour  :)  NoTo is starched off my list for GTG's, we would have to start now for 2016.

My wife and I have planned trips to the tropics in less time than this....involving multiple people from multiple cities.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2015, 01:46:04 pm »

for GTG's, we would have to start now for 2016.

Actually, I believe you're now too old.  The age gap between you two is large enough that you will die before the event.

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #74 on: February 04, 2015, 01:57:38 pm »

But if it were me, no way would I go all the way to Tremblant for such a short time. If I was leaving Friday morning, maybe.  But Friday night, out of Toronto, forget it!

I'm still surprised you didn't just fly.

$90 bucks for the car
$100+ in fuel:  1200km round trip (TO -> Tremblant -> TO), @ 10L/100km (maybe you'll do better) = 120 L

And you have to waste all that time doing a crappy drive in a crappy rental car in crappy weather.

The very reason you still live with your parents and save so much money (wise BTW) is so you can drop that extra $200 on convenient flights for short trips like this!

You could be downing those little marshmellow-shaped Bailey's shots in the hot tub while the other suckers are passing through Kingston in a blizzard.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 04, 2015, 02:00:13 pm »
Doctrine of Strict Construction: where two provisions are in direct conflict, the document will be construed in favour of the non-drafting party.  In other words,

Insured Person means a Cardholder and any other person who holds a valid driver’s license and has the Cardholder’s express permission to operate the rental vehicle. This includes drivers not listed on Your rental contract, provided they would otherwise qualify under the rental contract
You do not have to be named in order to otherwise qualify.

...besides, any insurer's argument relying on that provision would be quickly dismissed given that it's clear (and now well-documented here ;D) that I am relying on that provision of the contract.  It's a non-question.

3rd party liability IS a problem (not because I wouldn't have coverage, but if I were at fault and someone claimed against me, it would affect my rates).  Considering I drive defensively, it's a calculated risk.  If my buddy is driving, it's his risk.

In any event, I'll be staying at the Holiday Inn Express for 2 nights if anyone lives in the area and wants to join for an outdoor hot tub party with some Boreale!

I am sure you are right NoTo but try telling that to a French or English policeman as they arrest your 'friend' for driving without insurance in their country.  All I am saying is: Don't rely on that outside NA.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 04, 2015, 02:01:32 pm »

But if it were me, no way would I go all the way to Tremblant for such a short time. If I was leaving Friday morning, maybe.  But Friday night, out of Toronto, forget it!

$90 bucks for the car
$100+ in fuel:  1200km round trip (TO -> Tremblant -> TO), @ 10L/100km (maybe you'll do better) = 120 L

And you have to waste all that time doing a crappy drive in a crappy rental car in crappy weather.

The very reason you still live with your parents and save so much money (wise BTW) is so you can drop that extra $200 on convenient flights for short trips like this!

You could be downing those little marshmellow-shaped Bailey's shots in the hot tub while the other suckers are passing through Kingston in a blizzard.
Or stationary on the 401 for a couple of hours as Airbalancer did a couple of weeks ago.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 04, 2015, 02:37:44 pm »

So the 3rd party liability is borne by the person driving at the time, whether named or not on the rental contract?

Also, side note what happens when someone who does not have their own car insurance rents a car (which should be decently common?)?
What if your buddy did not have insurance, drive your rental, not named, and then smacked someone? Is that now your 3rd party liability coverage or is it the rental companies?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 04, 2015, 03:41:17 pm »

$90 bucks for the car

Flights are $500 r/t and the timing doesn't work.  All the later flights are sold out, so we would have to take the 11:00am flight out on Sunday or I'd have to take Monday off.

The very reason I still live with my parents is not financial, it's geographical and a bit sentimental :)

So the 3rd party liability is borne by the person driving at the time, whether named or not on the rental contract?

Also, side note what happens when someone who does not have their own car insurance rents a car (which should be decently common?)?
What if your buddy did not have insurance, drive your rental, not named, and then smacked someone? Is that now your 3rd party liability coverage or is it the rental companies?
Liability is only based on owner and operator.  I will never "own" a rental car that I drive, and whoever drives (and thereby causes or contributes to an accident) is liable.  A passenger can only be liable if he/she somehow causes the accident (grabs the wheel?  distracts?).

If someone does not have their own insurance, they can still rent a car but are advised to purchase some form of 3rd party liability, else they face the risk of personal liability.  TECHNICALLY, if stopped by a police officer, you could be asked for your insurance and if you don't have it, you could be ticketed for driving without.  As far as recovery is concerned, there are ways to get $ if a person isn't insured (I'm not giving away all of my secrets ;)).

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2015, 04:59:12 pm »

;D
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken