Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 Kia Sedona  (Read 16709 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Test Drive: 2015 Kia Sedona
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2015, 08:50:37 am »
Too bad Kia doesn't want to offer value conscious Canadians a choice in the low content entry level minivan market. 
I am sure if Kia could get a model down to $20,999 with captains middle row seats and it would offer a choice and competition to Dodge. SO I agree with writer that we will see very few new Kia minivans on the streets and lots of new Dodge end of model line 2015s.

Dodge Grand Caravan is going away next year and the next Town & Country is said to start at $27k in the US, so not much point in Kia playing in that (likely nearly unprofitable) market.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2015, 09:01:52 am »
The Stow & Go 2nd row seats are really finicky. I'd rather just remove the seats.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2015, 09:28:51 am »
it would be nice if they would do road tests on more mid-range models instead of the top end all the time, that's the only model I've ever seen on a review on this new product and then it always ends up with more conversation and arguments on the price than anything else.

Pricing at the bottom end vs the old model has not changed (in fact its less)  its the top end where they have expanded offering more models and more features that were never available before and also changing around the features at various trim levels:

For 2014 there was four models (LX, LX Covenience, EX, EX Luxury) and prices range from MSRP of $28,695 to $40,095
For 2015 there is now seven models (L, LX, LX+, SX, SX+, SXL, SXL+) and prices range from MSRP of $27,495 to $45,995.

In the 2014 Sedona, if you wanted leather you had to get the EX Luxury at $40,095, now you can get in in the SX+ at $35,995;
power sliding doors - 2014, the EX at $37,095, for 2015 the LX+ at $32,395
power drivers seat - 2014 the EX model and 6-way at $37,095; 2015 8-way and standard on the LX model at $29,995
power passengers seat - 2014 the EX Luxury at $40,095; 2015 8-way and standard on the LX+ at $32,395
17" alloys - 2014 stand on the EX at $37,095; the 2015 its standard on the LX at $29,995
lots of other variations its hard to even compare it to the old model with regard features.
I really appreciate your input, conwelpic.  Those are things that simply aren't readily apparent to the buyer, but how true it is!  Thanks, and +1 to you!

Offline bombastic

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +14/-261
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mazda 626, Mazda MPV, Toyota Camry, VW Tiguan, VW Passat, Dodge GC
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2015, 09:32:18 am »
Too bad Kia doesn't want to offer value conscious Canadians a choice in the low content entry level minivan market. 
I am sure if Kia could get a model down to $20,999 with captains middle row seats and it would offer a choice and competition to Dodge. SO I agree with writer that we will see very few new Kia minivans on the streets and lots of new Dodge end of model line 2015s.

Dodge Grand Caravan is going away next year and the next Town & Country is said to start at $27k in the US, so not much point in Kia playing in that (likely nearly unprofitable) market.
Are you speaking about US market? Dodge GC is likely to stay in Canada. So yes, Kia would have a point in "that" market. Instead it choose to wrestle with the expensive ones Honda/Toyota. Good luck with that.
Bombastic

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +85/-815
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Mazda CX-30 GS FWD - Snowflake white
2nd row seats are removable
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2015, 09:34:23 am »
Apparently it is possible to remove the second row seats on the new Sedona.  This was reported on a forum from an owner who purchased a SX+ and said that he removed 4 (14mm bolts) on each seat and lifted it out.  He said it takes about 10 minutes to remove and reinstall each seat.
He needed access for a full size wheel chair (which he brought in on a ramp by the side door) and was able to carry six people including the wheel chair.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2015, 09:49:29 am »
It takes me 10 seconds to remove and reinstall each seat...

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2015, 10:00:52 am »

Are you speaking about US market? Dodge GC is likely to stay in Canada. So yes, Kia would have a point in "that" market. Instead it choose to wrestle with the expensive ones Honda/Toyota. Good luck with that.

people tend to forget that the base MSRP for a Dodge GC starts at $27,995, its just that Dodge is constantly giving such massive discounts in order to move them, maybe with the new model they will no longer do this or not as deep. 
Grand Caravan - $27,995 - $42,195
Sedona - $27,495 - $45,995
Sienna - $30,690 - $48,700
Odyssey - $30,350 - $48,410
Town and Country - $42,995 - $48,995

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2015, 10:24:54 am »

Regardless of whether they keep the Grand Caravan name in Canada I think it's safe to say that the price will go up.

Town & Country sales are up 10x in the last 10 years here. Still a fraction of Grand Caravan sales but at least more people are aware that option exists.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: 2nd row seats are removable
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2015, 11:39:04 am »
Apparently it is possible to remove the second row seats on the new Sedona.  This was reported on a forum from an owner who purchased a SX+ and said that he removed 4 (14mm bolts) on each seat and lifted it out.  He said it takes about 10 minutes to remove and reinstall each seat.
He needed access for a full size wheel chair (which he brought in on a ramp by the side door) and was able to carry six people including the wheel chair.
WARNING:
REMOVING AND RE-INSTALLING ANY FEATURE, SUCH AS A SEAT, THAT IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE REMOVED MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND WILL ATTRACT PERSONAL LIABILITY IN THE EVENT OF A COLLISION IF THE SEAT BECOMES DISLODGED!

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2015, 02:16:57 pm »
WARNING:
REMOVING AND RE-INSTALLING ANY FEATURE, SUCH AS A SEAT, THAT IS NOT DESIGNED TO BE REMOVED MAY VOID YOUR WARRANTY AND WILL ATTRACT PERSONAL LIABILITY IN THE EVENT OF A COLLISION IF THE SEAT BECOMES DISLODGED!

BS.  It is designed to be removed.  There's either bolts or nuts.  It's not like it's welded onto the floor.

The only thing I would recommend is to ensure that the threads are in good shape each time this is done and follow the factory torque specs for the fasteners.  And if you are that concerned, use a touch of blue loctite.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:28:03 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2015, 02:24:17 pm »

Just about every seat in every car is removable if you're prepared to get the tools out....

Offline Just_A_Fan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Grand Caravan, '15 GMC Sierra
« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2015, 07:19:15 pm »

So you just leave 'em in the parking lot at Home Depot, or the driveway at the garage sale, and go back and pick 'em up later?

Or you leave 'em at home 'cuz you're taking stuff up to the grandkids, but once you get there, not everyone can go out for dinner in your van?

Like I said in my original post, minivans are all about versatility. I don't think there has ever been any feature offered that gives you the versatility that Sto 'n Go seats do . . .
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 07:25:40 pm by Just_A_Fan »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2015, 09:17:01 pm »

why do they need to "steal" designs when they have one of the worlds best auto designers working for them - Peter Schreyer,

I have been completely underwhelmed with the direction he took Kia.  I was expecting far more.

Agreed and probably due to the lack of budget, design, and engineering resources he had ad Audi.
i don't agree at all...i mean, look at the Kia products in the few years prior to Peter's arrival vs after...no need to go back that far...most of the prior gen stuff was likely in the 2006-2011 range...they all looked like uninspired cheap cars...while the Kia products are still value oriented for the most part, the quality and design has drastically improved in the last few years.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #33 on: February 04, 2015, 07:43:33 am »

So you just leave 'em in the parking lot at Home Depot, or the driveway at the garage sale, and go back and pick 'em up later?

Or you leave 'em at home 'cuz you're taking stuff up to the grandkids, but once you get there, not everyone can go out for dinner in your van?

Like I said in my original post, minivans are all about versatility. I don't think there has ever been any feature offered that gives you the versatility that Sto 'n Go seats do . . .
Nope.  You plan better and take them out at home. 

In your second scenario, how often does that happen really?  Would it be that much of a bother to take a second vehicle once you get there?  You're talking about a few rare instances IMHO.

Now, if it is all the time, go ahead, by the GC.  If not, don't make your decision based on 1 feature.

I'd sacrifice the versatility of having the middle row seats fold into the floor to get more comfortable seats, not to mention that I can also seat 3 across which you cannot in a GC equipped with sto n go.  Try putting 2 rear facing seats in the middle of the GC (I have twins) and see how you can access the third row.  In the Odyssey, I can put the seats side by side and still slide the third seat forward to access the third row.  In the Sienna (7 seat trims), the 2 middle row captains chairs have significant enough travel that I cannot slide it back enough to let people in through the middle aisle.  No such luck in the GC. I'd argue I have more versatility in the passenger seating department.  Minivans are primarily people haulers after all.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 07:53:18 am by mixmanmash »

Offline conwelpic

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 04, 2015, 11:58:27 am »
here's a couple of photo of two of the lower models - LX and LX+

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2015, 01:09:12 pm »

In your second scenario, how often does that happen really?  Would it be that much of a bother to take a second vehicle once you get there?  You're talking about a few rare instances IMHO.

Now, if it is all the time, go ahead, by the GC.  If not, don't make your decision based on 1 feature.

I'd sacrifice the versatility of having the middle row seats fold into the floor to get more comfortable seats, not to mention that I can also seat 3 across which you cannot in a GC equipped with sto n go.  Try putting 2 rear facing seats in the middle of the GC (I have twins) and see how you can access the third row.  In the Odyssey, I can put the seats side by side and still slide the third seat forward to access the third row.  In the Sienna (7 seat trims), the 2 middle row captains chairs have significant enough travel that I cannot slide it back enough to let people in through the middle aisle.  No such luck in the GC. I'd argue I have more versatility in the passenger seating department.  Minivans are primarily people haulers after all.

Those are issues only if the kids are still in infant or toddler seats. Lots of family years left when they are in boosters or none at all. With a typical Canadian family having a median of 1.1 children, the seating arrangement works pretty well.

Stow'n'Go is a terrific feature. Others should have emulated it, but they don't seem to want to. Nissan tried with the odd looking Quest, but their solution gave up a lot of interior space. Wrestling seats in and out so you can load up bulky stuff is just a pain in the ass.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2015, 02:00:46 pm »
The only time I really need all seats is when family is in town, and I haven't had to haul stuff then. So if I needed to haul something big then bring my kids home, I at least have the 3rd row stowed in the floor which all minivans have these days and still have three seats in the 3rd row.

Remember who was first with fold into the floor 3rd row seats.

Honda Odyssey - 1995 (the small first gen with standard doors)
Mazda MPV - 2000
Toyota Sienna - 2004
Dodge Grand Caravan - 2005
Kia Sedona - 2006

Because of Stow & Go, the Dodge Grand Caravan is the only minivan remaining that doesn't have an 8 seater option. So someone might get left behind anyway. My next minivan will be an 8 seater so I can normally carry 5 passengers and leave the 3rd row normally stowed for 2,000+ litres of cargo hauling, my normal use. Example, a few times I met my wife somewhere after work, then I just loaded my 50cc scooter in the van and we drove home together. Super super useful. Minivans are so awesome like that.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2015, 03:36:00 pm »

Those are issues only if the kids are still in infant or toddler seats. Lots of family years left when they are in boosters or none at all. With a typical Canadian family having a median of 1.1 children, the seating arrangement works pretty well.

Stow'n'Go is a terrific feature. Others should have emulated it, but they don't seem to want to. Nissan tried with the odd looking Quest, but their solution gave up a lot of interior space. Wrestling seats in and out so you can load up bulky stuff is just a pain in the ass.
I have taken the middle row out of my van twice since I owned it.  I have no idea what people are whining about.  They certainly are not that heavy and fold relatively flat making it easy to carry out.

Now try lifting a power seat.  That's a royal PITA because of the weight.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #38 on: February 04, 2015, 04:57:47 pm »
it really isn't as big a deal as many make it... the folding seats part... but to those few people who really have a valid reason to want it, there is no option but to get the stow n go.

the example i see most often is older people who either spend summers (or lots of time) at a cottage or down south. with the stow n go, they are able to bring up/down all their stuff they need for the season, then still be able to meet up with people and go out for dinner/golf, etc... and the kids can fly down and know they have a set of wheels that can haul everyone.

i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Just_A_Fan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-7
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '08 Grand Caravan, '15 GMC Sierra
« Reply #39 on: February 04, 2015, 05:48:24 pm »
There is no doubt that the Stow 'n' Go seats are not as comfortable as some others, so I guess it really depends on your primary needs i.e. if you want maximum versatility, get the G.C. If carrying people is your main use, you certainly have more choices.

Our kids are all grown and gone, so versatility is more important to me. And I fall into the last group that tooscoops mentioned. When we head to Florida for the winter, the seats are all folded and the van is full. But we can (and do) still pick up people at the airport, etc.