Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2496885 times)

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #14720 on: September 18, 2024, 10:46:57 am »
That's okay man, happens to the best and worst of us! The city has installed these speed "humps" on my street, I need to go over 2-3 of them every time I come home, depending on which side I come from. The 550 Maranello does NOT like them... I need to have slowed down sufficiently, then blip the gas ever so slightly to raise the front end, to go over without scraping the front lip. It's quite literally the only way to do it.

The underside of the Diablo's front bumper is a bit scratched up from the years of previous owner use, but I feel like I want to drive it a couple of seasons before actually investing in a repaint. Without really spending real miles behind the wheel for months at a time, there's no way for me to know the dimensions as well as I do my other stuff... so I'm sure I'll scrape it coming on or off a driveway somewhere. The '91 was one of the only early years that didn't have an axle lift system. I'd like to retrofit one one day...

I hear ya...these popped up all over my neighbourhood this year.  Funny watching folks take them full speed  :rofl2:

They added a few of these to a street here in Fredericton after three people, including two teenagers, died in a crash while doing between 138 and 174 km/h. This is a residential street with a speed limit of 50.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fredericton-police-speed-alcohol-1.7325399

Our biggest problem is Skip/Doordash/Amazon delivery drivers running around our residential neighbourhood like maniacs.  I walk the neighbourhood at night and have had to train myself to never assume anybody is stopping for a crosswalk or stop sign.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14721 on: September 18, 2024, 11:53:08 am »
That's okay man, happens to the best and worst of us! The city has installed these speed "humps" on my street, I need to go over 2-3 of them every time I come home, depending on which side I come from. The 550 Maranello does NOT like them... I need to have slowed down sufficiently, then blip the gas ever so slightly to raise the front end, to go over without scraping the front lip. It's quite literally the only way to do it.

The underside of the Diablo's front bumper is a bit scratched up from the years of previous owner use, but I feel like I want to drive it a couple of seasons before actually investing in a repaint. Without really spending real miles behind the wheel for months at a time, there's no way for me to know the dimensions as well as I do my other stuff... so I'm sure I'll scrape it coming on or off a driveway somewhere. The '91 was one of the only early years that didn't have an axle lift system. I'd like to retrofit one one day...

I hear ya...these popped up all over my neighbourhood this year.  Funny watching folks take them full speed  :rofl2:

They added a few of these to a street here in Fredericton after three people, including two teenagers, died in a crash while doing between 138 and 174 km/h. This is a residential street with a speed limit of 50.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fredericton-police-speed-alcohol-1.7325399

Our biggest problem is Skip/Doordash/Amazon delivery drivers running around our residential neighbourhood like maniacs.  I walk the neighbourhood at night and have had to train myself to never assume anybody is stopping for a crosswalk or stop sign.

Yeah I skateboarded to work yesterday, keeping a wary eye out at intersections. Not just those people, soccer moms running late are a terror.

Learned a long time ago that a high viz jacket is a lifesaver when boarding or cycling

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14722 on: September 18, 2024, 12:39:11 pm »

There was already speed bumps on that stretch of road, I hear that the residents are not overly happy about the sheer number of speed bumps they added.  The thing about that crash, they were drinking, they were young, and they were being chased by cops, so speed bumps likely wouldn't have slowed them down, just made them crash sooner.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14723 on: September 18, 2024, 12:42:09 pm »

There was already speed bumps on that stretch of road, I hear that the residents are not overly happy about the sheer number of speed bumps they added.  The thing about that crash, they were drinking, they were young, and they were being chased by cops, so speed bumps likely wouldn't have slowed them down, just made them crash sooner.

Well that's the point, isn't it? If they had crashed sooner, they would have been going slower and may not have died.

I don't really know why people complain about those speed humps in residential neighbourhoods. You generally don't have to crawl over them, and without them a lot of people tend to speed recklessly.

In my neighbourhood the only people I notice driving fast are the ones that are cutting through to avoid the Waterloo/Forest Hill intersection. The people that actually live here drive reasonably.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14724 on: September 18, 2024, 12:55:58 pm »

Well that's the point, isn't it? If they had crashed sooner, they would have been going slower and may not have died.

I don't really know why people complain about those speed humps in residential neighbourhoods. You generally don't have to crawl over them, and without them a lot of people tend to speed recklessly.

In my neighbourhood the only people I notice driving fast are the ones that are cutting through to avoid the Waterloo/Forest Hill intersection. The people that actually live here drive reasonably.

Oh, you pretty much have to crawl over these new ones. 

If you're familiar with Moncton, they also installed some of these along Purdy Avenue earlier this year, but went so far as to make an entire 4-way stop intersection one massive speed bump.  The entire square is raised up.  I'd never come across one of those before.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14725 on: September 18, 2024, 01:02:34 pm »

Oh, you pretty much have to crawl over these new ones. 

If you're familiar with Moncton, they also installed some of these along Purdy Avenue earlier this year, but went so far as to make an entire 4-way stop intersection one massive speed bump.  The entire square is raised up.  I'd never come across one of those before.

I've seen setups like that in bigger cities but generally at more compact intersections where you've got a lot of multimodal traffic.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14726 on: September 18, 2024, 01:57:53 pm »

I think my annoyance is that there hasn't been any designed specifically to reduce your speed to the posted speed limit, which in residential neighborhoods is 50kph.  If that's the speed limit, I should be allowed to drive said speed limit without having to break for stupid speed bumps.  But I know they exist for a reason, my big complaint is when they are either the type that are so sharp you basically have to crawl over them, or there are so many in a row (which is what is the problem with Douglas avenue now). 

I missed the time when society would let idiots hurt themselves and not have to put safety measures on everything.  There are waaay too many stupid people walking around nowadays.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14727 on: September 18, 2024, 02:11:48 pm »

I think my annoyance is that there hasn't been any designed specifically to reduce your speed to the posted speed limit, which in residential neighborhoods is 50kph.  If that's the speed limit, I should be allowed to drive said speed limit without having to break for stupid speed bumps.  But I know they exist for a reason, my big complaint is when they are either the type that are so sharp you basically have to crawl over them, or there are so many in a row (which is what is the problem with Douglas avenue now). 

I missed the time when society would let idiots hurt themselves and not have to put safety measures on everything.  There are waaay too many stupid people walking around nowadays.

I agree, speed humps only irritate people who give a :censor: about the vehicle they're driving. The city of Memphis installed 4 of those 'very sharp, you must crawl over' types on Riverside, which runs along the Mississippi so it has a bunch of tourist and pedestrian traffic. Unfortunately, it's also my route to the office, so even though the speed limit is 35mph, I have to slow to about 5mph to go over the humps. Course, bros in lifted trucks, tourists in rentals, anyone in a company fleet truck, guys joyriding in stolen cars, etc all just fly over them creating a dangerous sitation.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14728 on: September 18, 2024, 04:01:28 pm »
This is definitely related to the current conversation, and happened just yesterday when I was driving to my kid's school after work.

https://youtu.be/oGqIqSKGznw

Had I been going any faster, that kid would have been toast, as both of our reaction times would have been reduced.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14729 on: September 18, 2024, 04:03:05 pm »

I agree, speed humps only irritate people who give a :censor: about the vehicle they're driving. The city of Memphis installed 4 of those 'very sharp, you must crawl over' types on Riverside, which runs along the Mississippi so it has a bunch of tourist and pedestrian traffic. Unfortunately, it's also my route to the office, so even though the speed limit is 35mph, I have to slow to about 5mph to go over the humps. Course, bros in lifted trucks, tourists in rentals, anyone in a company fleet truck, guys joyriding in stolen cars, etc all just fly over them creating a dangerous sitation.
Exactly my point.  I don’t speed, especially not in residential areas.  It’s just annoying.  Something else that bugs me is when there is a regular speed bump, one that isn’t sharp or tall, and someone in a big pickup feels it necessary to slow down to 5km/hr to go over it, or if there is a patch of gravel from construction.  Like you drive a robust off roading work vehicle, you can take those things at an okay speed.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14730 on: September 18, 2024, 04:06:34 pm »
This is definitely related to the current conversation, and happened just yesterday when I was driving to my kid's school after work.

Had I been going any faster, that kid would have been toast, as both of our reaction times would have been reduced.
Let’s break this down, not a cross walk, you weren’t speeding, school bus did not have their lights blinking, so a stupid kid hasn’t be taught how to look both ways before crossing the road.  This was one way our generation weeded out some dumb people, and yet you would have been painted a monster for hitting a kid.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14731 on: September 18, 2024, 04:13:33 pm »

Let’s break this down, not a cross walk, you weren’t speeding, school bus did not have their lights blinking, so a stupid kid hasn’t be taught how to look both ways before crossing the road.  This was one way our generation weeded out some dumb people, and yet you would have been painted a monster for hitting a kid.

Oh, I agree, the kid was 100% in the wrong.  That would have been small consolation had I ended up hitting him.  The kid would have been injured/killed, and I would need years of therapy. 

The middle of the video cuts out for a few seconds, as I had to splice two clips together, but the first thing I tell him after rolling my window down was not to run out from between cars. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14732 on: September 18, 2024, 04:17:50 pm »

Oh, I agree, the kid was 100% in the wrong.  That would have been small consolation had I ended up hitting him.  The kid would have been injured/killed, and I would need years of therapy. 

The middle of the video cuts out for a few seconds, as I had to splice two clips together, but the first thing I tell him after rolling my window down was not to run out from between cars.
Yup, but it shouldn’t be your job to tell a kid that he did something wrong there. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14733 on: September 18, 2024, 04:21:42 pm »
They dropped the speed limit to 30 close to our house as there is a couple schools with a huge park/playground around them. I was grousing about how slow that felt, and a co-worker with kids (who's pretty funny) piped up 'Yeah! That's awesome, wish it was slower'

On some reflection could see his point, kids don't always think before they run across the street. It was funny how after a few months 30 seemed normal around the playground and 50-60 seemed maniacal

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14734 on: September 18, 2024, 04:22:04 pm »

Yup, but it shouldn’t be your job to tell a kid that he did something wrong there.

I assumed that was the kid's dad in the Pathfinder pulled over to the right.  I should have pulled over and yelled at the Dad, lol, but that probably wouldn't have accomplished anything anyway.  I'll tell you what, the look on the kid's face was that of his life flashing before him, so I think that'll be the last time he ever darts out blind from between two cars. 

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14735 on: September 18, 2024, 04:26:45 pm »
They dropped the speed limit to 30 close to our house as there is a couple schools with a huge park/playground around them. I was grousing about how slow that felt, and a co-worker with kids (who's pretty funny) piped up 'Yeah! That's awesome, wish it was slower'

On some reflection could see his point, kids don't always think before they run across the street. It was funny how after a few months 30 seemed normal around the playground and 50-60 seemed maniacal
That’s completely different, it makes sense to have lower speed limits in that setting.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14736 on: September 18, 2024, 04:28:30 pm »

I assumed that was the kid's dad in the Pathfinder pulled over to the right.  I should have pulled over and yelled at the Dad, lol, but that probably wouldn't have accomplished anything anyway.  I'll tell you what, the look on the kid's face was that of his life flashing before him, so I think that'll be the last time he ever darts out blind from between two cars.
The problem is that said dad or parents more often than not would say you were driving recklessly and not put the blame on their little angel, thus forming a child who thinks it’s everyone else’s fault when things go wrong in life or that their opinion carries more weight.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +128/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra; 2012 Civic (Junior1), 2013 Sentra (Junior2)
« Reply #14737 on: September 18, 2024, 04:31:18 pm »

This is one thing I read all the time (especially on local neighbourhood FB pages).  A kid hasn't been taught, or parents you need to teach your kids....

Kids do stupid things (as do adults).  Its doesn't mean they haven't been taught.  Sometimes you can tell them something a million times and because they are young and their brains aren't mature they don't do as they are taught and they put themselves in harms way.  You can tell a 4 year old to look both ways before crossing the street and 9 times out of 10 they will just dart out to grab their ball or to join their friends. 

Also, just because a kid does something stupid doesn't mean they are stupid.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2024, 04:33:36 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #14738 on: September 18, 2024, 04:36:33 pm »
Well said GBA. That's exactly how I feel.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
« Reply #14739 on: September 18, 2024, 04:40:17 pm »
Yeah, and that's why the 30 km/hr 'slow zones' get enlarged to not just in front of schools but for a good chunk on either side of them, like our neighborhood.

Edmonton dropped to 40 km/hr in regular residential, and it's not that crazy when you think about it. There really isn't much time if a kid darts out like that