Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2497152 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #9940 on: November 14, 2018, 01:02:59 am »
Very sorry to hear the sad news from both of you. KD’s really hit home as I had a co-worker pass away in almost the same circumstance a couple of years ago. Early 30’s, heart attack (or stroke, can’t remember) a couple days after giving birth. Super healthy, no inkling this would happen.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9941 on: November 14, 2018, 06:30:32 am »
Condolences to both of you tortoise and KD.

@Tortoise, I still miss my grandfather. He was only one in that part of the family that looked out for us on the other side of the world. Around this time of the year, he'd send us treats from Taiwan. He was also the only one in the family that flew to the US to visit.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #9942 on: November 14, 2018, 10:52:01 am »
That's a real tragedy KD.  My sincerest condolences to the family.  It's so easy to get caught up in the hustle of everyday life.  Often we forget to slow things down and appreciate all that we have.  If my family was home at the moment, I would give them an extra hug.  I can't imagine what that family is going through. 

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #9943 on: November 14, 2018, 11:16:53 am »
crap news, sorry for both of you

Tortoise, as someone who worked for 7 years with patients with bad dementia, I know how hard the last 8 years must have been for your family.

Words to live by: take care of your own health before it is too late, and cherish any and all time with your friends and loved ones, especially while you still have some marbles up there
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9944 on: November 14, 2018, 11:40:08 am »
Tortoise, as someone who worked for 7 years with patients with bad dementia, I know how hard the last 8 years must have been for your family.

Weird.  I had written something out but it didn't stick.

Thanks Chaos, it was pretty rough early on but in his later years he was well cared for and well loved.  He also had a lot of visitors and seemed to appreciate the company.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 12:24:21 pm by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350, 2024 Mazda CX90
« Reply #9945 on: November 14, 2018, 12:09:57 pm »
Very sad news. My condolences to both of you.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #9946 on: November 14, 2018, 01:12:59 pm »
Just found out my grandfather passed away.  He was a giant of a man, and a pillar in his community until dementia set in about 8 years ago.

At least it will be a celebration of a life lived. I've been too to many funerals for young people, so my heart goes out to you KD. That's tragic.

Sorry to hear that.

My grandfather passed away on Monday. He was almost 91 and we knew it was coming so it wasn't so hard for our family. He lived in Uruguay so I didn't see him often. I think they visited Canada four times and I visited them four times as well, the last time being last December for his 90th birthday.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9947 on: November 14, 2018, 06:13:48 pm »
Not sure where to through this. 

In addition to my landscaping business.  I am a property manager for 3 properties.  One of the tenants husband died.  This was not unexpected.  He had been suffering for a long time.  1 week later she replaces an older neglected Odyssey with a Chevrolet Traverse.  He had an Acura RSX Type S manual.  The body is in good condition.  Low K too, 130k. The rest of the car needs work.  It flips occasionally from one side of the driveway to the other.  Last week she asked me to boost it while I was there changing a furnace filter.  The wheels and tires need replacing,   rotors and pads too, not sure about calipers.  When I started it.  After a few minutes, it goes from idle to about 3500 rpm, then back to idle.  30 seconds later same thing.  Not sure if this is a problem with a cylinder or what.  Wouldn't surprise me if all the fluids needed to be changed.  So I ask her about the car.  She can't drive stick, nor can her daughter.  I ask her if she is interested in selling it.  She said no, wants to give it to her daughter.  I can understand that.  But I suspect thats not going to happen.  Daughter is about 20, still doesn't have beginners.  Large woman, would be tough for her to get in and out.  The way they treat the house, the property, their vehicles is pretty gross.  The mom is always complaining about money.  You would think she would welcome somebody that would take care of the vehicle, and shine it up.  Such a lovely vehicle, going to waste.     

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #9948 on: November 14, 2018, 06:19:23 pm »

In addition to my landscaping business.  I am a property manager for 3 properties.  One of the tenants husband died.  This was not unexpected.  He had been suffering for a long time.  1 week later she replaces an older neglected Odyssey with a Chevrolet Traverse.  He had an Acura RSX Type S manual.  The body is in good condition.  Low K too, 130k. The rest of the car needs work.  It flips occasionally from one side of the driveway to the other.  Last week she asked me to boost it while I was there changing a furnace filter.  The wheels and tires need replacing,   rotors and pads too, not sure about calipers.  When I started it.  After a few minutes, it goes from idle to about 3500 rpm, then back to idle.  30 seconds later same thing.  Not sure if this is a problem with a cylinder or what.  Wouldn't surprise me if all the fluids needed to be changed.  So I ask her about the car.  She can't drive stick, nor can her daughter.  I ask her if she is interested in selling it.  She said no, wants to give it to her daughter.  I can understand that.  But I suspect thats not going to happen.  Daughter is about 20, still doesn't have beginners.  Large woman, would be tough for her to get in and out.  The way they treat the house, the property, their vehicles is pretty gross.  The mom is always complaining about money.  You would think she would welcome somebody that would take care of the vehicle, and shine it up.  Such a lovely vehicle, going to waste.   

Sounds like the Air Idle Control valver (IAC).
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9949 on: November 14, 2018, 07:12:51 pm »
Not sure where to put this. 

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9950 on: November 14, 2018, 07:13:22 pm »

Thanks Ron

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #9951 on: November 14, 2018, 07:14:36 pm »

Thanks Ron

:thumbup:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9952 on: November 14, 2018, 08:33:05 pm »
Postpartum cardiomyopathy, I wonder?  It's not common, but happens. Scary when you think about it, suddenly a healthy person that is a brand new parent is just gone. Can there be a worse time?  Not sure. So sorry to hear about this.

Sometimes you genes are just not in your favour. A friend of mine runs a backcountry portering business. He's 65 and one of the fittest people I've ever known. He's about 5'7" and 130lbs and can carry an 80lb pack up steep terrain at speeds that people with day packs can't dream matching. In his off times he trail runs. Big distances. Like 200km or more kinda big.

This last spring he'd skied a huge load to a hut on the Wapta and was getting ready to head back out when he started feeling poorly. He was sweating and not doing well. There was a guided group there and the guide knew something was very wrong, so called in a heli and paramedics. Turns out he has a genetic heart defect that probably would have had him just suddenly drop dead before age 40 if he hadn't lead such an incredibly fit lifestyle. Luckily, treatment was simple and with a small drug regiment now he's back to his old self. If you'd too me that someone like him could have a cardio related episode I would have said you're nuts.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #9953 on: November 14, 2018, 09:14:47 pm »
I just realized I got brutally raped at the Travelex currency exchange place at the airport a while ago. I was planning on just using my credit card in Europe, but at the last minute decided it would be smart to have at least a bit of cash on me, so bought 300 Euros for C$527 at the exchange kiosk in the Calgary airport. I figured it would be a bit more expensive at the airport, but never bothered to check just how much. Actual cost should have been more like C$465.

The worst part was that I then spent the whole trip thinking a Euro was actually worth C$1.70! I just now checked my credit card statement, and all my card purchases were made at an exchange rate of around C$1.54.

I guess it's a pleasant surprise that stuff cost less than I thought, but there were a few things we didn't buy because they didn't seem any cheaper than at home. In reality, we missed out on a few bargains. So, :censor: You, Travelex! I'll just use my bank card in an ATM when I get to Europe next time.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9954 on: November 15, 2018, 02:57:29 am »
The worst part was that I then spent the whole trip thinking a Euro was actually worth C$1.70! I just now checked my credit card statement, and all my card purchases were made at an exchange rate of around C$1.54.

I guess it's a pleasant surprise that stuff cost less than I thought, but there were a few things we didn't buy because they didn't seem any cheaper than at home. In reality, we missed out on a few bargains. So, :censor: You, Travelex! I'll just use my bank card in an ATM when I get to Europe next time.
The rate's been at 1,45-1,50 $ for awhile, and yes, never use Travelex or any exchange services at the aeroport. Stick with the ATM.

As a non-resident, you would have also been able to get about half of the TVA (VAT) back on merchandise purchases as well. There's a minimum purchase that varies by country (F = 175€ ; D = 25€; I = 154€ for example) but it can add up on big dollar purchases.

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9955 on: November 15, 2018, 05:25:35 am »
$1.49CDN to 1 €1   this am.             
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9956 on: November 15, 2018, 07:21:13 am »
I just realized I got brutally raped at the Travelex currency exchange place at the airport a while ago. I was planning on just using my credit card in Europe, but at the last minute decided it would be smart to have at least a bit of cash on me, so bought 300 Euros for C$527 at the exchange kiosk in the Calgary airport. I figured it would be a bit more expensive at the airport, but never bothered to check just how much. Actual cost should have been more like C$465.

Using an airport currency exchange booth is like buying your groceries at a convenience store.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Mr Pickypants

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9959 on: November 16, 2018, 01:46:06 pm »
Flight delays. Stuck in NYC with nowhere to go until whatever ungodly hour my flight ends up getting delayed to.