Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2496769 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #9660 on: September 07, 2018, 05:03:30 pm »
  I'm that guy...(plain white bread, no mayo) Maybe I need to work on my (an?) accent...too white to be Indian, but WTF, be interesting at least!  ;D

Must've been why you were at an Olive Garden in the first place...couldn't pick a more stereotypical place to eat... :rofl:

Actually...I've never been.  Never understood the attraction...understand even less now.  Soup was good, but I'm pretty sure I've had better pasta out of a box. So a big "Meh"...I don't ever need to go again - other than maybe if you can just do soup and bread sticks.  Even my youngest said it felt like a cheap/dated place.  And it is.  I remember 30 (plus?) years ago you could drive by the Ptg Ave location and there'd be hour plus lineups at the door.  It's taken me that long to be convinced to go inside...  Kinda like that Mongols or whatever, been there done that...I'd rather eat a wrap at McD's. Or a Costco dog and a drink.

Mongo's?  I love that place.  I haven't eaten there in years, because my wife doesn't like it.  But I loved it there!!!!

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #9661 on: September 07, 2018, 06:02:55 pm »
People that assume because somebody has an accent they must be a immigrant.  NO, they are Canadian FFS.
given, there are some people that you can just tell by the tone that they mean it to have negative connotations. so if that's what you mean.. it's more being sad, angry, and upset about jackasses.

More of this. To me, for some conversations I don't get why it matters where the person is from.

Making this part up...

If somebody says...."That person just cut me off....must be an immigrant". Personally I find that offensive and borderline racist thing to say.

Obviously you never drive around the Chinese malls in Markham and Richmond Hill!   

The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9662 on: September 07, 2018, 06:03:56 pm »
People that assume because somebody has an accent they must be a immigrant.  NO, they are Canadian FFS.
given, there are some people that you can just tell by the tone that they mean it to have negative connotations. so if that's what you mean.. it's more being sad, angry, and upset about jackasses.

More of this. To me, for some conversations I don't get why it matters where the person is from.

Making this part up...

If somebody says...."That person just cut me off....must be an immigrant". Personally I find that offensive and borderline racist thing to say.

Obviously you never drive around the Chinese malls in Markham and Richmond Hill!

Or around any of the T&T markets around here.......
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #9663 on: September 07, 2018, 06:45:14 pm »
People still go to Olive Garden?  Huh.
IQ and I always go when we're going to sit at "our" cigar lounge for the day in the US. We eat a rich lunch there so our stomach is full, then go smoke stogies and drink coffee for the rest of the day.

BTW...once a year online they have a "all you can eat pasta for the year" coupon for $300.

Sad to say, if there was a local Olive Garden I'd be sorely tempted to get that deal.....I could eat a plate of pasta one a week for sure.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2018, 06:46:52 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #9664 on: September 07, 2018, 10:20:01 pm »
People still go to Olive Garden?  Huh.
IQ and I always go when we're going to sit at "our" cigar lounge for the day in the US. We eat a rich lunch there so our stomach is full, then go smoke stogies and drink coffee for the rest of the day.

BTW...once a year online they have a "all you can eat pasta for the year" coupon for $300.

Sad to say, if there was a local Olive Garden I'd be sorely tempted to get that deal.....I could eat a plate of pasta one a week for sure.

I like the place too and so does Mrs.Firm, in her case because they do a very good job of offering true gluten free options (she's celiac).

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9665 on: September 08, 2018, 12:13:15 am »
I’m sure the food is fine at Olive Garden, but I haven’t seen an ad in as long as I can recall, and I wasn’t  even sure they were still in business.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +392/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9666 on: September 08, 2018, 04:28:18 pm »
Knocking the yogurt container over and having it explode on the floor.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #9667 on: September 08, 2018, 04:29:13 pm »

Oh ffs...yea, and they really do explode!

You'll be finding trace yogurt in unexpected places for the next week!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9668 on: September 08, 2018, 06:46:12 pm »

Oh ffs...yea, and they really do explode!

You'll be finding trace yogurt in unexpected places for the next week!

Mr Pickypants

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9669 on: September 09, 2018, 04:05:15 pm »

There was a good show on CBC Radio called "Were are you from, no, where are you really from". Talked about how people assume that just because you are not white, you must be an immigrant and fresh off the boat. People couldn't believe that black people have been in Alberta for generations.

I went to a summer music camp at Mount Alison in 1981 or so. My Mum's side of the family is on the darker side of white, and we tend to get darker with a lot of time outside. I didn't think this was noticeably different than anyone else. The first day at camp, a kid asked me where I was from.

"Moncton."
"No, I mean originally."
"Oh, I was born in Campbellton."
"No, I mean where are your PEOPLE from."

<In my best fake Indian accent> "Honest to Ganesha, I am as Canadian as hockey sir!"

He was fine with that.  ;D
You guys realise I deal with this on a nearly daily basis in Germany.........so sick and tired of it.

Saying I'm American doesn't pass muster in a country where your origins are dependent on where your last 2 generations were from and there's a stupid obsession with one's homeland. Even my photo speed tickets include my US city of birth.  :banghead:

In France, I occasionally get asked where I'm from if I go into a longer conversation. I say I'm American. "Oh cool" and that's the end of that discussion thread.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 04:06:53 pm by mlin32 »
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #9670 on: September 09, 2018, 04:49:52 pm »

There was a good show on CBC Radio called "Were are you from, no, where are you really from". Talked about how people assume that just because you are not white, you must be an immigrant and fresh off the boat. People couldn't believe that black people have been in Alberta for generations.

I went to a summer music camp at Mount Alison in 1981 or so. My Mum's side of the family is on the darker side of white, and we tend to get darker with a lot of time outside. I didn't think this was noticeably different than anyone else. The first day at camp, a kid asked me where I was from.

"Moncton."
"No, I mean originally."

<In my best fake Indian accent> "Honest to Ganesha, I am as Canadian as hockey sir!"

You guys realise I deal with this on a nearly daily basis in Germany.........so sick and tired of it.

Saying I'm American doesn't pass muster in a country where your origins are dependent on where your last 2 generations were from and there's a stupid obsession with one's homeland. Even my photo speed tickets include my US city of birth.  :banghead:

In France, I occasionally get asked where I'm from if I go into a longer conversation. I say I'm American. "Oh cool" and that's the end of that discussion thread.
But do you really want to say your are American in Europe  ???
We have friend spending 3 months in France , they say they from the  Republic of California  :rofl2:

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9671 on: September 10, 2018, 04:20:19 am »

"Moncton."
"No, I mean originally."

But do you really want to say your are American in Europe  ???
We have friend spending 3 months in France , they say they from the  Republic of California  :rofl2:
I don't willingly bring it up unless asked, but not an issue. They usually ask what part, and thankfully I don't have to say Texas or Florida or some other state with a redneck reputation.  :rofl2:

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9672 on: September 10, 2018, 06:52:58 pm »
My SIL got a post mammogram call saying to come back for more tests.  Fingers crossed it's nothing.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #9673 on: September 10, 2018, 07:37:38 pm »
Best wishes.

From what I've read mammogram imaging can have a lot of false positives.

I'm sure image quality has improved over the last few years but this Malcolm Gladwell article is probably still relevant.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.newyorker.com/magazine/2004/12/13/the-picture-problem/amp
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9674 on: September 10, 2018, 07:39:45 pm »
My SIL got a post mammogram call saying to come back for more tests.  Fingers crossed it's nothing.
Damn man, heres hoping its nothing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9675 on: September 10, 2018, 07:47:03 pm »
On the plus side, she's booked in right away this week.  So much for the massive failure of Canadian health care...     ::)

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #9676 on: September 10, 2018, 09:02:38 pm »
On the plus side, she's booked in right away this week.  So much for the massive failure of Canadian health care...     ::)

My parents never had to wait for cancer-related treatments.
Wait times are the big problem in Manitoba.  MRI?  Minimum wait is 6 weeks, longest 17 weeks.  CT/CAT Scan?  1 to 8 week wait.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9677 on: September 10, 2018, 09:11:42 pm »
With both of my parents and my in-laws, our experiences with the health care system have been overwhelmingly positive.  Except for the being sick part, of course.  Treatment, when needed quickly, was provided quickly.  The system of basing access on priority need instead of what you're willing to pay makes a lot of sense.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #9678 on: September 10, 2018, 11:36:58 pm »
Hope the news is nothing but good for your SIL. 

One of Mike’s oldest friends is in hospital in Boston.  He’s been there for weeks.  It appears to be a neurological disorder, but all tests have been inconclusive.  Mike is 10 years older than me.  As a gay man, he’s seen too many friends die of AIDS.  This guy doesn’t have HIV, but it’s still triggering.  Mike keeps telling me he doesn’t want to bury another friend...  He went to Boston today to see his friend today.  I haven’t heard from him.  I hope he’s OK... 
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #9679 on: September 11, 2018, 01:24:02 am »
^ That's really sad. I hope things turn out for the best.

John's sister in law too. At least it's just more testing at this point. Hopefully it's benign.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken