Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2497015 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #9901 on: October 30, 2018, 10:23:30 am »
Humans suck.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/living-plant-wwf-2018-1.4882819
yes, we do

unfortunately, nobody cares or will care until it is way....way too late, because they are selfish or apathetic
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9903 on: October 30, 2018, 11:46:21 am »
Humans suck.

yes, we do

unfortunately, nobody cares or will care until it is way....way too late, because they are selfish or apathetic
+2

ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9904 on: October 30, 2018, 11:49:18 am »
Humans suck.

And then in the same breath... it's not all doom and gloom

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wwf-s-living-planet-report-not-all-doom-and-gloom-1.2783254
too little, too late

anything is better than nothing, but a couple of sandbags are not going to stop the flood

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #9905 on: October 30, 2018, 11:53:05 am »
Humans suck.

And then in the same breath... it's not all doom and gloom

https://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/wwf-s-living-planet-report-not-all-doom-and-gloom-1.2783254
too little, too late

anything is better than nothing, but a couple of sandbags are not going to stop the flood

Too little, too late for some maybe... but these improvements need to recognized... used as proof that it can work and then use the methodology elsewhere. Still a learning curve, a lot has happened in the last 100yrs to learn from  ;D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9906 on: October 30, 2018, 12:16:25 pm »
It would be interesting what exactly they are measuring. We are swamped with rabbits in Edmonton, and I just about hit a moose in the middle of the city last month. Canada Geese are becoming an invasive species in the US, and deer in North America are at the same levels they were at pre-settlement.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9907 on: October 30, 2018, 12:27:38 pm »
It would be interesting what exactly they are measuring. We are swamped with rabbits in Edmonton, and I just about hit a moose in the middle of the city last month. Canada Geese are becoming an invasive species in the US, and deer in North America are at the same levels they were at pre-settlement.
rabbits are rampant because people kill off all the predators such as Lynx. The imbalance is a direct indication of the loss of species and habitat. Moose in cities are also a direct indication that their natural habitat is disintegrating due to climate change. Same with Polar Bears going further inland to get food because they are starving - so attacks on people and domestic animals will just keep going up. Deer....again, no predators to eat them so they are flourishing (they are more adaptable than moose) and then we have to turn to "population control."

So you see, again we as humans suck. It is all down to us.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #9908 on: October 30, 2018, 01:55:16 pm »
There's more predators too. Coyotes are following the rabbits into the city, as are Lynx and even Cougars:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/cougar-numbers-and-encounters-on-the-rise-in-alberta-ecology-expert-1.3237247

Biggest thing is likely there is more trees now than ever due to humans suppressing prairie fires, and wildlife are following treed river corridors like the N. SK into all kinds of new areas

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #9909 on: October 30, 2018, 03:23:57 pm »
more of both is against the natural law of predator => prey

more predators, means less prey because they are eating them, which eventually means less predators due to low prey numbers...which leads to more prey due to lack of predators, and the cycle continues

Both the prey and predators would rather stay away from civilization, it is a natural instinct. So if they are encountering humans regularly and starting to enter into habitats unnatural to them, it is because their natural habitat has been upset in some way.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9910 on: October 30, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »
more of both is against the natural law of predator => prey

more predators, means less prey because they are eating them, which eventually means less predators due to low prey numbers...which leads to more prey due to lack of predators, and the cycle continues

Both the prey and predators would rather stay away from civilization, it is a natural instinct. So if they are encountering humans regularly and starting to enter into habitats unnatural to them, it is because their natural habitat has been upset in some way.
Back when I lived in the southern Appalachains there was a similar issue with bears getting into people's backyards and onto the campgrounds/heavily trafficked parts of the parks.

With the climate changing towards shorter, less consistent winters, the bears had far shorter hibernation periods, or some simply didn't hibernate at all. But they needed food, so we'd see bears in the dead of January on the news breaking into rubbish bins and the Park Service would close campgrounds.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #9911 on: October 30, 2018, 05:30:19 pm »

Not always.

Some of the smarter animals (Coyotes, foxes, Raccoons) have figure out it's waaayy easier to get prey in cities/neighborhoods than in the wild.

Even Peregrine falcons have even figured that life is easier in big cities thanks to the bazillions of pigeons there.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9912 on: October 30, 2018, 05:33:19 pm »

Not always.

Some of the smarter animals (Coyotes, foxes, Raccoons) have figure out it's waaayy easier to get prey in cities/neighborhoods than in the wild.

Even Peregrine falcons have even figured that life is easier in big cities thanks to the bazillions of pigeons there.

Yeah, if I was a coyote, I would much rather hunt some fluffy, 15lb rat dog rather than a cariboo thanks.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9913 on: October 30, 2018, 05:54:18 pm »

Not always.

Yeah, if I was a coyote, I would much rather hunt some fluffy, 15lb rat dog rather than a cariboo thanks.

Although they will eat dogs, apparently they prefer cats!

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #9914 on: October 30, 2018, 06:07:37 pm »

Not always.

Although they will eat dogs, apparently they prefer cats!

Fishers love outdoor cats in the suburbs.  Tasty.
Mr Pickypants

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9915 on: October 30, 2018, 08:04:53 pm »
I was running this last winter out on the trails on the edge of my burb and a coyote snatched a purse dog that a moron had let off the leash.  POOF!  Snack time.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9916 on: November 07, 2018, 08:58:44 pm »
Was going to Vancouver to visit #2 daughter this weekend. Some long standing sinus issues have flared up in the last week or so and I am now not only not going but am on the short list for sinus surgery in the next few weeks.  >:( :(
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9917 on: November 07, 2018, 08:59:33 pm »
Was going to Vancouver to visit #2 daughter this weekend. Some long standing sinus issues have flared up in the last week or so and I am now not only not going but am on the short list for sinus surgery in the next few weeks.  >:( :(

Bummer.

Sorry to hear. 

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #9918 on: November 07, 2018, 09:01:18 pm »

Bummer.

Sorry to hear. 

Yep....Polyps+infection+having to cancel a trip really sucks!!!!

Looks like I might try and go out sometime during UBC reading week  now (Feb 16-24) now.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:08:26 pm by sailor723 »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #9919 on: November 07, 2018, 09:35:00 pm »
Good news is that my best friend is an ENT surgeon so I jump the queue and get sinus surgery sooner

Bad news is that I get sinus surgery sooner  ;D  ::)

A friend of mine who ports cylinder heads can help you out.   :o
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson