Author Topic: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset  (Read 2496841 times)

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Re: The things that make me sad, angry, and upset
« Reply #14700 on: September 12, 2024, 05:30:33 pm »

Yeah, access is easy, and follow up communication is 1000x better than what I am used to. Most Drs have a online portal setup where you can see test results, ask him questions (and get quick responses!), share photos, request school letters, etc - no cost either. The visits do end up costing me about $100/visit, after insurance. Pharmacy costs were a pleasant surprise too....you hear so much about the cost of drugs in the US, and they are high, but insurance covers the large majority. The antibiotics he's on now billed out at $189 for this tiny little bottle, but insurance covered all but $5.

Well that's the thing. It's great if you have great insurance. But many have none at all.

The number 1cause of bankruptcy in the U.S.is medical debt.

Think about that for a second or two...
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14701 on: September 12, 2024, 05:58:52 pm »

Yeah, access is easy, and follow up communication is 1000x better than what I am used to. Most Drs have a online portal setup where you can see test results, ask him questions (and get quick responses!), share photos, request school letters, etc - no cost either. The visits do end up costing me about $100/visit, after insurance. Pharmacy costs were a pleasant surprise too....you hear so much about the cost of drugs in the US, and they are high, but insurance covers the large majority. The antibiotics he's on now billed out at $189 for this tiny little bottle, but insurance covered all but $5.

Well that's the thing. It's great if you have great insurance. But many have none at all.

The number 1cause of bankruptcy in the U.S.is medical debt.

Think about that for a second or two...

You're right, it's true, the key is having good insurance....without it, things get rough pretty quick. I've said it  bunch of times, it's a great system for those who can afford it (the insurance that is), it's pretty awful for those who can't. That said, there are a lot of programs around to help people who need it, for example, St. Jude's children's hospital for example is here in Memphis and serves families with sick children from all around the country....Families never receive a bill from them; they will bill insurance (if you have it) but otherwise treatment is funding by the organization's own fund raising, investments, grants, etc. Fortunately we've never visited, but it's comforting know that such a place exists, and the fact that it's right here is also nice. If you have a kid sick enough to be there, financing isn't something you should have to worry about.
My company is closely involved with supporting St. Jude, and it's something that a lot of people here are very proud to support - myself included.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14702 on: September 12, 2024, 10:20:15 pm »
How are the wait times/service at a place like St Jude?  Closer in line to what we have up here?  Or better.  Genuinely curious what kind of care one gets for 'free' down there.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #14703 on: September 12, 2024, 10:36:34 pm »
How are the wait times/service at a place like St Jude?  Closer in line to what we have up here?  Or better.  Genuinely curious what kind of care one gets for 'free' down there.

St. Jude doesn't have an emergency room, they are strictly for really sick kids, so it's not like you just walk in off the street. I am not sure what the criteria is to go there. For a metro area of a mere 1.4M, there's like something like 8 proper hospitals with emergencies services, so the ratio of available services to population is pretty good. We haven't had to use one yet, but you can check all the wait times online, in real-time, I took a look now and they range from 11-minutes to 83-minutes....and it's a storm night here (remnants of hurricane Francine) so I am sure there's more going on than normal.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14704 on: September 12, 2024, 11:48:40 pm »

I took a look now and they range from 11-minutes to 83-minutes....and it's a storm night here (remnants of hurricane Francine) so I am sure there's more going on than normal.

Wow, even an 83 minute wait is pure fantasy in Winnipeg.  I've attached the current wait times on a Thursday evening. 
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #14705 on: September 17, 2024, 01:19:17 pm »
i f-cked up.

parked SLK at restaurant parking lot on monday for lunch.

when leaving, i hear loud "GRKSKTKSHTTCH".  stop, step out, and look.

my front bumper was cracked.....  apparently my front bumper went over the curbstop/wheel stop thingies.  that in itself was OK, but there was protruding rebar holding the curbstop which kicked the sh1t out of bottom of my bumper. and i ended up with cracked bumper...

it's less than 2 years old, from that unfortunate rabbit incident that resulted in me having new bumper!!!....   fuxk...   this is going to be most expensive lunch i ever have.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #14706 on: September 17, 2024, 01:28:33 pm »
i f-cked up.

my front bumper was cracked.....  apparently my front bumper went over the curbstop/wheel stop thingies.  that in itself was OK, but there was protruding rebar holding the curbstop which kicked the sh1t out of bottom of my bumper. and i ended up with cracked bumper...

it's less than 2 years old, from that unfortunate rabbit incident that resulted in me having new bumper!!!....   fuxk...   this is going to be most expensive lunch i ever have.

Ouch!! I was always so stupid careful with my SLK anytime I was parked forwards near a parking curb or sidewalk. Actually, even when I would back it in, I'd open the door & look how close I was to the curb just to make sure I didn't hit the exhaust. Both ends of the car are quite low & needed to be soooooo careful.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Acura Integra Type S, 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si (sold but not forgotten)2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #14707 on: September 17, 2024, 01:39:54 pm »
i f-cked up.

Ouch, that sucks.  One of the worries everyone has when driving a lower car. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +272/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #14708 on: September 17, 2024, 02:33:30 pm »
That sucks. 

One of those things one doesn't think about when driving a CUV.  I was always cognizant about it when driving a lower car like the Mazda3, or a Civic, as scraping the lower air dam, or potentially opening a door into a high curb was a real possibility. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #14709 on: September 17, 2024, 03:15:33 pm »
That is a painful sound

Every so often I get something like an ES350 as a loaner and I have to recalibrate my thinking on obstacles. Without curb ramps I couldn't even park it in my driveway without hitting the front air dam

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-384
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #14710 on: September 17, 2024, 03:36:16 pm »
i f-cked up.

I hate those nailed down concrete blocks. Once I was in a passenger seat and my friend went over one of those in a parking lot, since he forgot there was something in front when he had parked. It wasn't a pleasant experience as far as my spine was concerned  :rofl2:
Nowadays I don't get near them, even when driving my 'zaurus.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #14711 on: September 17, 2024, 04:49:55 pm »
Ohhhh, damn, that sucks. I didn't have that issue since I had my Altima, which I sold in 2010, till I got the Ridgeline, I hated those things with an undying passion. My trucks and Jeep before had no issues but the RL, that thing drug that stupid air dam over everything.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #14712 on: September 17, 2024, 06:40:32 pm »
i f-cked up.

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14713 on: September 17, 2024, 07:01:11 pm »
F my life, that's a terrible sound!

I was fond of backing in on the low cars I've owned.

Offline TheHire

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-406
  • Manual Preservation Officer
    • View Profile
    • DoubleClutch.ca Magazine
  • Cars: '07 V8 Vantage 6MT, '91 Diablo, '97 550 Maranello, '91 911 Carrera, '04 S2000, '00 M5, '90 Camry AllTrac, '09 LS 460 AWD, '24 LC 500 Performance, '99 S 500 LWB, '24 RS 6 Avant
« Reply #14714 on: September 17, 2024, 10:52:00 pm »
That's okay man, happens to the best and worst of us! The city has installed these speed "humps" on my street, I need to go over 2-3 of them every time I come home, depending on which side I come from. The 550 Maranello does NOT like them... I need to have slowed down sufficiently, then blip the gas ever so slightly to raise the front end, to go over without scraping the front lip. It's quite literally the only way to do it.

The underside of the Diablo's front bumper is a bit scratched up from the years of previous owner use, but I feel like I want to drive it a couple of seasons before actually investing in a repaint. Without really spending real miles behind the wheel for months at a time, there's no way for me to know the dimensions as well as I do my other stuff... so I'm sure I'll scrape it coming on or off a driveway somewhere. The '91 was one of the only early years that didn't have an axle lift system. I'd like to retrofit one one day...
Resident Connoisseur of Jalopies & Reality Checks

Online rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14715 on: September 17, 2024, 11:23:40 pm »
That's okay man, happens to the best and worst of us! The city has installed these speed "humps" on my street, I need to go over 2-3 of them every time I come home, depending on which side I come from. The 550 Maranello does NOT like them... I need to have slowed down sufficiently, then blip the gas ever so slightly to raise the front end, to go over without scraping the front lip. It's quite literally the only way to do it.

The underside of the Diablo's front bumper is a bit scratched up from the years of previous owner use, but I feel like I want to drive it a couple of seasons before actually investing in a repaint. Without really spending real miles behind the wheel for months at a time, there's no way for me to know the dimensions as well as I do my other stuff... so I'm sure I'll scrape it coming on or off a driveway somewhere. The '91 was one of the only early years that didn't have an axle lift system. I'd like to retrofit one one day...
With the BS you have you drive in and the quality of car, I'd seriously consider some perishable lip guards (like SlipLo). I've seen them a few times on exotics.

Seems worthy of the relatively small expense compared to the alternative.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2024, 11:37:01 pm by rrocket »

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #14716 on: September 18, 2024, 08:57:52 am »
The city has installed these speed "humps" on my street,  The 550 Maranello...The Diablo...

Hmm...one has to wonder WHY they installed them on YOUR street... :think: :nono: :skid: :stick: :winner:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14717 on: September 18, 2024, 09:00:01 am »
The city has installed these speed "humps" on my street,  The 550 Maranello...The Diablo...

Hmm...one has to wonder WHY they installed them on YOUR street... :think: :nono: :skid: :stick: :winner:

;D

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #14718 on: September 18, 2024, 09:29:09 am »

I hear ya...these popped up all over my neighbourhood this year.  Funny watching folks take them full speed  :rofl2:

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14719 on: September 18, 2024, 10:30:55 am »

I hear ya...these popped up all over my neighbourhood this year.  Funny watching folks take them full speed  :rofl2:

They added a few of these to a street here in Fredericton after three people, including two teenagers, died in a crash while doing between 138 and 174 km/h. This is a residential street with a speed limit of 50.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/fredericton-police-speed-alcohol-1.7325399