Author Topic: Wagonerrrroooo  (Read 66904 times)

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
Re: Wagonerrrroooo
« Reply #140 on: February 14, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »
Car looks great, move on, and congrats again on the new member to the family.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 14, 2015, 09:01:23 pm »
Clearly properly resolving this will require a new bumper + new body kit, which they are trying to avoid paying for. While I understand that motivation, the bottom line is that I paid a lot of money for a properly done car.

That sucks but in reality that lip is going to get ripped up/off and deformed on a parking block or curb in the near future. It can't be avoided. ;D 

I agree - a replacement bumper will need to be painted by the dealer - the paint will not be as durable as the original factory bumper.  May be you can ask for compensation?  Paint protection film on the bumper?  Trunk liner?
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
Wagonerrrroooo
« Reply #142 on: February 14, 2015, 10:46:58 pm »
Wish I had come up with the trunk liner idea before leaving the dealer. I need one of those. Maybe I can goon Volvo Canada into giving me one since there us good reason to believe the part is not quite up to standard. Oh well. No big deal in the end.
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #143 on: February 15, 2015, 12:44:02 am »
Given where you are now - I'd leave it.  I agree that in no way would I want the OE paint monkeyed with.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 15, 2015, 11:00:41 am »
That sucks but in reality that lip is going to get ripped up/off and deformed on a parking block or curb in the near future. It can't be avoided. ;D 

This. Seriously.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #145 on: February 15, 2015, 12:01:45 pm »
Did you get the heated windscreen? If so how have you been liking it. Seems like the perfect winter to test it.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 15, 2015, 01:37:02 pm »
I did. TBH have not used it much as we are parked in garages all the time. The visual "dazzle" at night was a bit annoying at first but I got used to it very quickly and don't notice now.

The Climate package is a really good one, IMO. I think its $1350 or something and includes heating for rear seats, steering wheel, washer nozzles, and windshield. You also get some kind of carbon filter or particulate filter system for the HVAC. Not a bad price considering what you get.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #147 on: February 15, 2015, 01:49:28 pm »
Wiatadamnminute!  An option package from a Yuro brand that's not insanely overpriced?  And actually a BARGAIN?  Someone at Volvo is about to be axed...

...good thing you got the car when you did!

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 15, 2015, 01:51:07 pm »
Well yeah but they make up for it in other ways, I assure you :)

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #149 on: February 15, 2015, 09:41:37 pm »
The Nina Willis of car buyers in Toronto  :rofl2:

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: February 16, 2015, 07:37:06 am »
You'd do the same :P

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #151 on: February 16, 2015, 08:37:44 am »
You'd do the same :P

:rofl2: You bet, Audi HQ knows who I am.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2015, 09:04:19 am »
Hm so we're at about 1200km now. Some more familiarity with the car

-Really love this engine. The midrange is beastly even running on 87. Fuel economy seems to be improving with better weather and breaking in.

-We're at 12.8 L/100 lifetime now, with an average speed of only 37km/h (got to love traffic!)

-Part of me wishes I had gotten the RDesign. It would have been a bit more $$ and I'm not as much a fan of those wheels compared to the ones I got, but I do like the overall look and it would add some specialness (and probably resale) to the car. Also it would have been factory-Polestar tuned. Since I can always add Polestar to mine later, I'm not too bothered.

-Handling is safe, roll is well controlled, but the experience is anodyne compared to the TL. And this is with the sport suspension. The ride is considerably more comfortable though.

-The whole driving experience is relaxed. Fairly reminiscent of the CLK, just slightly harder edge to it. You roll around in comfort and every so often unleash some mad straight line speed. As it was in the CLK I feel content to loaf along at the speed limit in this car.

-The transmission is pretty good, very unobtrusive. Don't feel the shifts. Aisin box. Its only 6 speeds so its out of date but it is a good box for its time. Still geared too low in 6th though.

-The steering in any of three configurable weights is lifeless but accurate.

-The adaptive cruise has met and even slightly exceeded my expectations. It works very very well and takes the stress out of Toronto PM rush hour. I don't even have to use the closest follow distances.

-The built in distance warning thing (heads up display style flasher with progressive warning levels) is integrated with ACC so it tells you when the ACC may not be able to stop in time. Stopping power hasn't been an issue though, and the alarms haven't ever rang aside from one deliberate test I did.

-I love the wagon form factor so far. So much space! The V60 isn't huge but compared to what I'm used to I don't know what to do with all the room.

-Nav screen needs to be bigger but that's my only gripe with the system really. I love that 98% of the functions can be access via steering wheel controls.

-Build quality is really good. No rattles or buzzes or anything even on 19s over broken pavement.

-Lack of interior storage is annoying. I have nowhere to put my phone (don't like it in pocket when driving).
I might buy these as the door handles are open at the bottom: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/High-Quality-2pcs-door-storage-box-handle-box-glove-armrest-box-for-VOLVO-V40-V40CC-V60/32289569223.html

-The door handle sensor pads that you touch to lock the car are slightly concerning. It might be irrational but I'd prefer a button. When washing the car the doors kept locking and unlocking as the soap/water must have triggered the sensor pad.

-Cabin produces very usable heat within minutes - lovely!

So far so good. Hopefully Volvo manages to turn its fortunes around - with the new XC90 it looks like they've got some great ideas but they need to translate that into sales.

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #153 on: April 27, 2015, 11:30:52 pm »
Finally found this thread. No time to read it through yet but just wanted to say,

SEXY! Love this wagon. What a great value, and you got a great looking one too.

Congrats! Family sports car par excellence.  :banana: :cheers: :bounce: :thumbup: :fiver: :skid:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #154 on: June 03, 2015, 10:29:47 am »
Volvo has 25% savings on Polestar tunes.....Time to do it.

http://www.polestar.com/en-ca/product/v60-t6-awd-automatic-2015/

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 03, 2015, 02:20:37 pm »
Ugh I am down like 4.5% this month. :(

ANd its only june 3rd!

Offline Julie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-366
    • View Profile
  • Cars: nb miata, nc mx-5, e92 m3, mk6 gti
« Reply #156 on: June 03, 2015, 10:31:52 pm »
Ugh I am down like 4.5% this month. :(

ANd its only june 3rd!

Did you mean to post this in the money thread?

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 04, 2015, 08:01:39 am »
Sorry I went totally nonsequitor. I want to get Polestar but I am also going through a rocky investment phase and I hate discretionary spending during those times. Totally different scales of money involved and this is just a drop in the bucket, but even so.

Everyone has a bit of irrationality. :)

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: July 21, 2015, 07:51:35 pm »
Hmm some additional random thoughts.

6 months since I got it, about 7300km so far.
12.1L/100km lifetime in generally awful traffic.

• Just got Polestar today. Wow. Turned a quick car into a "too quick for the street" car. Putting it in D is now like the old S, and the new S is like having a V8. Throttle response is much more lively - in fact I'd prefer if it had stiffer springs in the gas pedal. Maybe Red Bull can furnish me with some more amenable throttle maps.
  • Transmission is the main letdown of the powertrain. Its not bad, its just ... very last generation. Its also geared too short in the top gear (2300 RPM at 120? What?) Occasionally I have wondered if I'd have been better served by a 328xi wagon...despite the power deficit I think the N20 + ZF 8 Speed would work just as well or better than the V60 T6 + 6 Speed in the real world, though it would lose to the Volvo in a drag race.
  • Its basically a ... long hatch ... not so much a wagon. But that's okay. I really like the style and its big enough. Going on a road trip in a few weeks and we'll see how it does with all the baby crap we have.
  • Steering is precise but lifeless. Handling is confident but not fun. Wish it had real torque vectoring - supposedly it does some brake based thing but its a far cry from the TL. Not sure where the grip limits are but the car is pretty flat around corners, generally quite good.
  • No rattles. Its quiet. Build quality seems really good. A very solid cruiser, everything feels dense and Mercedes like.
  • Sometimes I feel like the software side is a little half baked - talking about the LCD instrument cluster and the infotainment...which are fine, just random little things around the edges could be better. Example you cannot show instant fuel economy and Trip #1 at the same time. And you cannot show avg fuel econ and the MPH display at the same time. They're linked. Maybe big manufacturers do it better....maybe not. The onboard internet services are very slow and clunky generally, though the internet-powered remote starter is nice.
  • The ACC gets 9/10 for me. Its only obvious flaw is that if the car you're tracking changes lanes and the next car in front is stopped, then ACC won't pick up that car. Odd since it WILL pick up stopped cars if you activate ACC while coming up on a stopped car. Overall though ACC has made my commute a lot less annoying and bothersome, and I get home in a better mood which my wife appreciates.
  • One issue so far - clunking noise from the front end while braking + turning. Turns out to be a brake noise. Got a new set of rotors and calipers today and seems to have fixed it.
  • Struggling for what else to say. The car is just....nice. Works well for my life. Not a massive stand out in any one area (other than speed, perhaps, especially post Polestar) but its more than competent in all areas. Its a sort of greater than the sum of its parts kind of car, I think. Still very much enjoying it.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 21, 2015, 07:56:18 pm »
^^Did you get the issues looked after?  Something rattling I think it was?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...