Author Topic: First Drive: 2015 Jeep Renegade  (Read 30908 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
First Drive: 2015 Jeep Renegade
« on: January 26, 2015, 06:40:43 am »

Can the little Renegade win another convert for Jeep?
Read More...

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
Re: First Drive: 2015 Jeep Renegade
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2015, 08:48:42 am »
I love the fact that FCA seemed determined to ensure that this will be a real Jeep, or at the very least, the "Jeep" of its class. Immediately, it seems to be the most capable and best looking mini 4x4 out there.

Actually, in the 4x4 class, the only competitor that I'd cross shop this with isn't listed - the XV Crosstrek (due to the fact that I'd want a manual transmission).

I just wonder what the cost - optioned the way I'd want it - will truly be. As is FCA's tradition, I don't expect the build and price function to be up for a long time, but if the Cherokee can be used as an indicator, then I'm wincing already...

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
  • Carma: +279/-320
  • If you ain't first ... you're last!
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
  • Cars: 2009 Lexus ISF, 2009 Lexus LX570,2011 Audi A5 Touring Car
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2015, 08:56:52 am »
Pricing is all in the article.  Only add-on available is the NAV which is $1500

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 09:00:19 am »
great article!

only missing info is fuel numbers. 
I think this Jeep is going to be a HUGE hit.   At first I didn't think much of it but I think with it's more traditional looks and being a nice compact size, it'll fly off dealer lots. 

My FIL loved this thing from day one as a replacement for his Patriot.  However, it may be a little smaller than he anticipated.   Which leads me to this:

With Compass, Patriot and Cherokee already successes competing in this price range, do they really need this smaller vehicle?

I thought the Compass and Patriot were getting discontinued? 

Agree on the Crosstrek as a major competitor.  Both are nice and small and will hit a chord with the outdoor folks. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2015, 09:04:14 am »
   Well I will never be on top of a large rock unless following some serious form of accident and probably neither will most folk. However, curiously, this little vehicle tugs at ones pocket flap to gain attention and you have to look don't you. Would it work for me...I don't know. I wonder how the off-roading crowd will take to it. Anyway as stated before, I am not one of those folk and that being the case, the front wheel drive 15% er's would include me amongst them, if at all.
   So how well does it appeal in that guise I wonder, with it's Jeep tones and slightly retro (now) grille and hark back to a WW2 open Jeep sans open top. Presumably the 2WD will be a little lower...but will it be as practical as others in it's size...or does being the top offering in practicality really matter much here. It all looks like a lot of fun to me who admittedly would only skirt around the edges.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 10:24:09 am by Rupert »

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2015, 09:18:11 am »

The options I was thinking of were a towing package, removable roof panels, and heated seats. If I'm wrong, great, but it does seem with other FCA products that these tend to be packages.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2015, 09:19:05 am »
Compass and Patriot will continue, they were clear on that.  We were all surprised.

Official fuel numbers not released, they said around 8.0L/100km

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2015, 09:20:02 am »

The options I was thinking of were a towing package, removable roof panels, and heated seats. If I'm wrong, great, but it does seem with other FCA products that these tend to be packages.

There is no "Towing" package.  The removable roof panels are standard across the board.  And heated seats are only available on the Limited model.

If you want the 2000lbs towing I believe you need to buy the Trailhawk.  So you cannot get the heated seats + the towing package.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2015, 09:21:05 am »
   Well I will never be on top of a large rock unless following some serious form of accident and probably neither will most folk.

Is it just me, or is every single one of your comments on a car review "Well, nobody will ever do this. I just drive to the shops. Everyone just drives to the shops. Why do cars even exist?"  :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2015, 09:25:56 am »

If you want the 2000lbs towing I believe you need to buy the Trailhawk.  So you cannot get the heated seats + the towing package.

that's foking retarted.       
« Last Edit: January 26, 2015, 09:29:32 am by aquadorhj »

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2015, 09:26:07 am »
It's not that folks will be buying this for true off-roading, and that's ok - it's all about perception.

"I live in Canada.  I need AWD.  I want the best handling snow vehicle I can buy!  Jeeps are great at off-roading, surely they can handle some snow!"

It's not an accurate statement, especially with the base AWD being a slip n' grip, but better than FWD no doubt.

Starting at $19,995 for the 4×2 Sport model, the Renegade is attractively priced as well.  All but the Trailhawk and Limited models come standard with the 1.4 coupled with the manual transmission and are upgradable to the 2.4 with the automatic.  The two aforementioned trims are available only with the 2.4L and automatic combination.

The lineup moves up to the North 4×2 at $25,995, which adds A/C, cruise control, fog lamps, 5.0-inch touchscreen, automatic headlamps, hands-free communication and aluminum wheels.  In Canada the 4×4 model will certainly be more popular with the Sport 4×4 model running $25,995, this package adding A/C and cruise control to the 4×2 model.  The North is priced at $27,495, while the Limited is offered at $31,995.
Sorry, but I don't see how that's even remotely 'attractively' priced.  Ignore all things 4x2 unless you're in California (and even then, wouldn't you want 4x4 for the dunes?).  With regards to Canada, nobody will be buying a FWD Jeep - that's weird (not to mention the lack of cruise control and A/C!).  15%, to me, even if correct (and I deny that it is), is pittance for sales #s. 

So, let's move to the 4x4: $25,995 is with the base engine (1.4T, and therefore 6MT).  The Crosstrek starts at $24,995 with a 6MT.  While enthusiasts say "yipee!", most consumers do not. Crosstrek Autobox is $26,295 ($1,300 for the CVT).  I'm assuming the 2.4-9er will be a $1,500+ upgrade, making the cheapest Renegade with AWD and an autobox $27,495.  Does that have heated seats like the Crosstrek?  FFS, at $27,495, there's no chance in hell I'd have this on my radar without a $4,000 cash on the hood discount (tooscoops, help a brotha out!).

All of this is put forward with the 9-speed being sold as a benefit.  To a casual consumer, the media has shat all over this thing as questionable - I wouldn't trust it without a 10 year, 160,000km warranty (and even then...?)

It's expensive.  It's priced as a premium product.  Maybe I'll be wrong, but I think it's too expensive, looks like cheap sh!t, and while the Trailhawk is nice (and IMO, the only 'attractively' priced trim), its offroad pretences are a farce.

Styling is subjective.  FCA's choice to pair the 1.4T with 6MT as the base engine was a poor choice, forcing consumers to pay a LOT more just to get an automatic (which is 90% favoured in Canada).  Pricing it above the competition is a poor choice for a new model with questionable reliability and resale.

...maybe I need to be sent to Jeep camp to be converted, but while this article is written EXCELLENTLY ( :cheers: ), it did not sway me into thinking that this Jeep is in any way a good purchase.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2015, 09:33:54 am »
i have severe reservations about Fiat's ability to carry on Chrysler's good name...   

. :rofl: :rofl2:

on serious note, there's still only two cars from chrysler that i want...  Viper and GC SRT8.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2015, 09:55:14 am »

There is no "Towing" package.  The removable roof panels are standard across the board.  And heated seats are only available on the Limited model.

Thanks for the clarification. While I am jazzed about that roof being standard, the fact that heated seats are for the top trim model is just crazy.

Oh, and I should have just said factory trailer hitch instead of towing/trailering/whatever package.

It's expensive.  It's priced as a premium product.  Maybe I'll be wrong, but I think it's too expensive, looks like cheap sh!t, and while the Trailhawk is nice (and IMO, the only 'attractively' priced trim), its offroad pretences are a farce.

Where is happy NoTo this morning?

Seriously though, all these mini-CUVs when equipped with AWD are expensive. The pricing at the end of the article only showed a difference between the 9-speed/2.4 and 1.4T/manual on the base trim, so may be it is a no cost option as you move up? I wouldn't be shocked as the 9-speed costs more than a manual, but that 1.4T may be pricier to build than the NA 2.4L...

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2015, 10:14:12 am »
It's not bad looking at all in pictures.  They actually look good in off-road settings, IMO.

I think it's a bad idea forcing people to get the limited trim if they want heated front seats.  They should have the front heated seats as a standard equipment and rear heated seats packaged with the limited trim.

Offline Whofan

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-8
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2015, 10:18:17 am »
I Like this, I'm looking forward test driving one.

I like the 500+ liter size trunk for a small vehicle.  like the old Ford escape square back, I like it.  I need a vehicle to carry light stuff.  Example: paper towels from Costco, 3 packs take a lot of space, but are light.

Also, the 2.4 sound good, 180 hp on FWD is good enough

Will see.  Maybe wait for the bugs to be worked out at the beginning and wait for a good deal from Jeep.

Looking forward to seeing them on the road.  Makes more sense than an Escalate to me anyway.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2015, 10:21:45 am »

Thanks for the clarification. While I am jazzed about that roof being standard, the fact that heated seats are for the top trim model is just crazy.

Oh, and I should have just said factory trailer hitch instead of towing/trailering/whatever package.

Where is happy NoTo this morning?

Seriously though, all these mini-CUVs when equipped with AWD are expensive. The pricing at the end of the article only showed a difference between the 9-speed/2.4 and 1.4T/manual on the base trim, so may be it is a no cost option as you move up? I wouldn't be shocked as the 9-speed costs more than a manual, but that 1.4T may be pricier to build than the NA 2.4L...
"All but the Trailhawk and Limited models come standard with the 1.4 coupled with the manual transmission and are upgradable to the 2.4 with the automatic.  The two aforementioned trims are available only with the 2.4L and automatic combination."

So Trailhawk and Limited are 2.4L auto equipped only.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2015, 10:24:29 am »
Sorry, but I don't see how that's even remotely 'attractively' priced.  Ignore all things 4x2 unless you're in California (and even then, wouldn't you want 4x4 for the dunes?).  With regards to Canada, nobody will be buying a FWD Jeep - that's weird (not to mention the lack of cruise control and A/C!).  15%, to me, even if correct (and I deny that it is), is pittance for sales #s. 

There are tons of FWD Patriots and Compasses sold in Canada.

The article doesn't mention pricing for the 1.4T manual 4x4 models. Does that mean they don't exist? I know they do in the US...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-777
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2015, 10:29:10 am »
Compass and Patriot will continue, they were clear on that.  We were all surprised.

Why? It's been known for some time that FCA is replacing the twins with a new model next year.

Offline wing

• Big Wig
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Drivesideways
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2015, 10:39:45 am »
Cause the Compass is redundant now IMO.  Barely larger than the Renegade and a POS.  But if they redesign it, it will be better.

Regarding the 1.4T manual 4x4, that is the North and Sport 4x4 models which are listed in the article:
 In Canada the 4×4 model will certainly be more popular with the Sport 4×4 model running $25,995, this package adding A/C and cruise control to the 4×2 model.  The North is priced at $27,495

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2015, 10:42:05 am »
Yea, you need to spend 32K to get heated seats?  Give me a break... Darn marketers...

Also, what's with the plastic cow catcher on the lower trims?  I guess one could always take a sawzall to it and fix that.