Author Topic: Test Drive: 2015 GMC Canyon SLE 4WD Crew Cab  (Read 18307 times)

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: Test Drive: 2015 GMC Canyon SLE 4WD Crew Cab
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2015, 01:18:31 pm »
For whatever reason I am finding myself yearning for this truck with the diesel.

Canyon for the DD/cottage/yardwork/whatever and a Vette for the weekends?

Oh baby!

hey, that's only 100k.  you can swing that, right?   ;D

Still better than spending 100k on a 911 I'd say.    Best of both worlds.   

Though you'll need a bigger garage....

AB is right. Truck lives outside. Man, what a combo. The winner's combo. The right combo. You can even get a BOSE (yes I know but still) system in the Canyon for better audio - only $600.

Ps, I can't find the diesel option when building online? Not out yet?
2016 model year for the diesel

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-770
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #21 on: January 20, 2015, 01:35:03 pm »
I still don't get why people say, it's almost the same price, same fuel, I'll just buy a 1/2 ton.
I don't want the size.  Even if they're the same price and same fuel... I just don't want the size (need or desire).    If what I needed was a mid sized SUV but the dealer offered me the full sized 7-seater at the same price, I wouldn't be getting the bigger SUV just because it's the same price...

I agree with you but I think a lot of people equate bigger with being better at the same price. We always see silly arguments about loaded compacts being the same price as mid trim midsize sedans.

Just for fun, I did a comparison between a comparable Colorado and Silverado:

Colorado LT Crew Cab 4x4 standard bed
Base Price: $34,000
Freight/AC tax: $1,795
Credits: $664
Net price: $35,131

Silverado LT Crew Cab 4x4 standard bed with 1LT package
Base Price: $42,200
Freight/AC tax: $1,795
Credits: $6,385
Net price: $37,610

That $8200 delta diminishes quickly but we're still talking about a $2500 difference base to base. The Colorado also has some equipment that is optional on the Silverado like the 8" touchscreen.

Obviously as a brand new vehicle the Colorado has few incentives right now (though decent finance rates are available) but it will be interesting to see if those increase over time. A nicely equipped crew cab 4x4 for $30k would be a bargain IMO.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 20, 2015, 03:06:07 pm »
One thing , inside the crew cab , it is pretty small

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #23 on: January 20, 2015, 03:13:13 pm »

if you don't plan to be there, who cares!   :P

if it's anything like the Tacoma, it'll be "good enough"

So much depends on not just how much space you need be how much space the person in front of you takes.
My friend drove us to Vermont in his 2013 Tacoma.   He 5'9" like me, my wife was behind him and she's 5'3" and had good room.  I sat behind his wife, guessing she's 5'5" and I found the space acceptable.  I couldn't stretch out but I've dealt with worse.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 03:14:45 pm »
I enjoyed the article, especially the pics.   ;D

Get a utility trailer, FFS.   :rofl:

I wonder if Snowman has seen the pics?

I had the same reaction.  I know I'd go nuts cleaning the mess afterwards and hence wouldn't do that to begin with.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2015, 03:39:48 pm »

So much depends on not just how much space you need be how much space the person in front of you takes.
My friend drove us to Vermont in his 2013 Tacoma.   He 5'9" like me, my wife was behind him and she's 5'3" and had good room.  I sat behind his wife, guessing she's 5'5" and I found the space acceptable.  I couldn't stretch out but I've dealt with worse.
The whole area is small, drivers seat area is small , flip up the rear seat , floor is not flat , it is small
My 16 year old grandsons are all most 6 ft now, if I do not keep them happy they will hack my computer  ;D
So this truck is just like the Tacoma ,  not good enough lol

Northernridge

« Reply #26 on: January 20, 2015, 03:43:16 pm »

The whole area is small, drivers seat area is small , flip up the rear seat , floor is not flat , it is small
My 16 year old grandsons are all most 6 ft now, if I do not keep them happy they will hack my computer  ;D

Have you climbed through one? Interesting...adults readily fit in the back seat of the Ridgeline.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 20, 2015, 03:45:27 pm »

Have you climbed through one? Interesting...adults readily fit in the back seat of the Ridgeline.
The last month when I had my truck in for an oil change, none of the salesmen were to happy with it

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #28 on: January 20, 2015, 03:46:41 pm »
At 6ft, many people wouldn't be happy in the back seat, maybe full size trucks, bigger SUV's, and full size sedans.  But not compacts, midsize sedans, or CUV's...

Motor Trend had 4 guys sitting in a Crew Cab, knees werent touching the seat, decent headroom. 

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #29 on: January 20, 2015, 04:08:17 pm »
My knees did not touch the seats in the back of the Tacoma.
It seemed very reasonable to me and I had plenty of head room (back and front)

I also find the driving position (for the knees) very good in the Tacoma, as far as space goes.

The interesting thing with the Ridgeline...  It does have just slightly more back seat room.  I even got stuck with 3 adults driving from Peterborough (near there anyways) all the way back to Niagara.  That was kinda long...

One issue I did somewhat have driving the Ridgeline was knee room.  I found a lack of room for my knees in the Ridgeline in the driving position.  The dash seems to come down a lot and limit the knee / leg room.  It feels a lot more snug than the Tacoma.   

If the seats don't fold flat in the new Canyon, that's a big fail.  (IMO)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2015, 06:45:41 pm »

I also find the driving position (for the knees) very good in the Tacoma, as far as space goes.

The interesting thing with the Ridgeline...  It does have just slightly more back seat room.  I even got stuck with 3 adults driving from Peterborough (near there anyways) all the way back to Niagara.  That was kinda long...

One issue I did somewhat have driving the Ridgeline was knee room.  I found a lack of room for my knees in the Ridgeline in the driving position.  The dash seems to come down a lot and limit the knee / leg room.  It feels a lot more snug than the Tacoma.   

They do

Offline AdamD

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: F150
« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2015, 07:06:10 pm »
Great review! This looks like a nice truck. I have seen it on the lot and it looks pretty sharp. If it was a second vehicle I would definetly consider it. But we are a one vehicle family with two kids, so a full size truck is a much nicer experience for long road trips. That said, we could get by with this, but who wants to just get by. The whole argument that most  don't really need a big truck is a little old. No one really needs a Porche to drive to the office either, but they do. As far as gas milage goes, I think that once you start looking at mid to large SUVs, trucks of any size, or mini vans you are really splitting hairs. For the mosty part it's a difference of 200-400 dollars a year in gas. If that's a make or break a person should really look at a civic.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Test Drive: 2015 GMC Canyon SLE 4WD Crew Cab
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2015, 07:54:39 pm »

They do
Does not look flat to me

Mark

Offline Benhaze

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +29/-63
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2015, 08:05:35 pm »
I have owned two new F-150 Lariat short box crewcabs since 2008. They are superb trucks but are just too long and tall. I previously had a Ford Sportrac which was perfect in every way. Alas, Ford discontinued it so I bought the F-150s. Now that the new Canyon/Colorado are available I will be looking them over closely to replace my F-150 this June. They appear to be satisfactorly sized and priced . My only complaint about them is the non-availability of a sun roof. Why, it is not offered is beyond me.

Yeah, that's a strange omission for sure.

There is a much bigger omission in the GM new twins option catalog: no heated sideview mirrors are available on any trim. That should be standard equipment in Canada.

Had some seat time in a Canyon for the first time today. Size of cab was fine to me, and I liked the driver seat (very comfy), dash, gauges and infotainment screen. Did not care much for the hard plastic on top of the doors though. Back seat space is far better than in the vast majority of vehicles spare the full size trucks.

GM should do well with these trucks. There are some significant technology omissions for a brand new platform though...

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2015, 09:20:47 pm »
I like this truck. Looking forward to the diesel model, should have better towing capacity.

Offline dragonfly

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +22/-90
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2015, 09:36:07 pm »
 I saw one of these in white last week parked at the supermarket...What a beauty.I wonder..does it come with an AWD option..or is it 2 or 4 WD??
  Thanks, nice article   

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2015, 09:44:07 pm »
A very sharp looking truck.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #37 on: January 21, 2015, 09:23:46 am »

Ridgeline has a massive back seat compared to Tacoma.   Reason I went with Tundra is the interior was too cramped in the Taco even though I really liked the Tacoma looks better.  I parked them both in my garage during the test drives and surprisingly the Tacoma is only a few inches shorter (Dlb cab long bed Taco vs Crew max short bed Tundra). 

Offline vert

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: BMW 330CiC
« Reply #38 on: January 21, 2015, 07:16:15 pm »
I think from the pictures, your friend's van is a Honda Odyssey.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #39 on: January 21, 2015, 07:22:56 pm »
A friend from work bought one.  Its his first truck, so I didn't get much in the way of useful feedback.  Even when I asked which model his response was "Uh, the pretty much loaded one".  ::)
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.