Author Topic: Northern Exposure: Little Red Porsches, Done Two Ways (911 GT3 & Cayman GTS)  (Read 9847 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Justin compares two top-dog little red Porsches with different layouts, personalities and stress levels.
Read More...

Online JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
That's the one I would have too.  IMO the Cayman is actually a nicer looking vehicle as well.  It's nice to be able to use all that power in the real world and not be afraid to do so.

Now let's see how many people mention the Chevy Corvette Z06 or the regular Z51 package on the Stingray as cars they'd buy instead of these two.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
no question for me, though I haven't driven the Cayman GTS, I'd keep saving my money until I could get a GT3... i felt that way when i drove it, and Justin's thoughts on both convince me I'd rather have that sheer lunacy of the GT3 in my life... I probably wouldn't be driving it every day, and would drive a Cayman more often, but the GT3 is, as Justin says, is 'beautifully haywire' and oh so special. and to get this thing on a track, oh damn, the noises it makes...
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Northern Exposure: Little Red Porsches, Done Two Ways (911 GT3 & Cayman GTS)
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 09:10:17 am »
I think, between these 2,  I would have the Cayman GTS as well, and I like going on the track a fair bit.

All this talk about a GT3 being a race car gives me the lols.  Ever been in a GT3 Cup Car (the actual race car)?  It makes the GT3 seem like a proper street car by comparison.

Offline SaskSpecV

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +87/-149
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Subaru Forester Touring 6MT, 2009 Hyundai Elantra Touring GLsport 5MT, 2009 GMC Sierra 2500 6.0L
Count me in  the Cayman camp as well.  Maybe's Snowy's obsession has been rubbing off on the forum over the last few years?

But what size are those wheels on the GTS?  Are they 20s or something?  They look ridiculously big and cartoonish.  What do you get with the GTS that is optional/not available on the "S" (besides more power)?  And is ihe GTS significantly different from the old Cayman R?  Non-porschephiles like me can't keep their special editions straight!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
These two vehicles are so vast in price that it comes down to one thing, do you want value in a premium vehicle brand or does one also want some exclusivity with pricing being secondary.
Both cars are excellent choices with the GT3 stepping up the game but at a cost. Is the GT3 worth $63+K more than the GTS I think that's an individual assessment.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 10:21:16 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
911 for me all the way.....but I would swing by the Corvette dealer just to see what the Z06 can do on the way to the Porsche dealer.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
In the "money is no object" world, it would have to be the GT3. Even if the "sensible" part of the brain kicks in and the GTS ends up on my driveway, I would still want some seat time in the GT3.

Great article, BTW!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
911 for me all the way.....but I would swing by the Corvette dealer just to see what the Z06 can do on the way to the Porsche dealer.

Then you'd find out that the base Vette matches the GT3 performance wise.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Yeah....but, again money no object, there is something about the 911. Ive always wanted one, Ive lusted after one since age 8. I know its flawed and the Vette will walk all over it....but if I could pick a car that would make me smile and actually look forward to my commute everyday, it would be the 911.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,

Yeah....but, again money no object, there is something about the 911. Ive always wanted one, Ive lusted after one since age 8. I know its flawed and the Vette will walk all over it....but if I could pick a car that would make me smile and actually look forward to my commute everyday, it would be the 911.

i'm Surprised, Fob..   you know GT3 only comes in Automatic,...   Cayman can be fitted with manual..
I would LOVE some GT3 seat time, but to own, i would go Cayman.  (boxster would come before Cayman though)

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

i'm Surprised, Fob..   you know GT3 only comes in Automatic,...   Cayman can be fitted with manual..
I would LOVE some GT3 seat time, but to own, i would go Cayman.  (boxster would come before Cayman though)

Cayman does nothing for me, if I had the $85k +, a nice CPO 911 sounds like a much better idea for me. I know the GT3 has only that PDK silliness, but, the overall car, what a package. 

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
I'd split the difference and get a normal 911 with a proper transmission.

But between those two, if it's not my money, I'd take the GT3. Either way it wouldn't be my only car.

Offline LimitedSlip

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-5
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current - Civic Si Coupe '07 & Si Coupe '13
 That’s 7,000 rpm.
 That’s 8,000 rpm. Eight thousand!
 Nine Thousand ...!! Whoa THAT'S VTEC Yo !!
 :rofl2:
Introduce a little Slip On-Every-Corner

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
What a great read - it certainly put a smile on my face. I could tell that Justin must have had a blast doing this article!

Winter driving was referenced in the article... Last year, there was an article on it on Porsche's winter driving program (links below). I'd love to know how many folks take advantage of this and actually drive their Porsches all year round. My car would have to be a year rounder, as I don't think the WAF would ever be high enough to allow for a summer car AND a motorcycle.

http://www.porsche.com/canada-pde/en/winterdriving/
http://www.autos.ca/winter-driving/monday-rant-learn-drive-winter-dummkopf/

With yet more snowfall this morning, I've got winter driving on the brain. Spring seems, and is, a long time away!

Northernridge

You guys are too hot-shoe for me. My 911 would be a regular Carrera or S at the most.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
I'm with NR...

If I had a racetrack nearby, it would be a different choice. But I don’t. And in the real world, with police radar guns, potholes and pieces of highway infrastructure strewn about, I think I’d be wasting too much of what the GT3 can do, too much of the time.
Can the same not be said of any car above a Corolla?  I'd say a Boxter can do that.

In any event, I like the Cayman for what it is: a balanced ride.  It'd be my choice in any guise if I were going Porsche, though the Boxter's drop-top has its appeal.

Pritch, sounds like you had a great two weeks and thank you for conveying it in your writing.  I agree with you - unless you live somewhere near a track, a track-ready car like the GT3 simply isn't worth the required concessions.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
how are they compared to the Viper?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
My $85K for a Porsche would be for a 911TT - nothing else.  It's 10x the car the Cayman is.  In fact I'd rather have any year 911 turbo than any model new Cayman.  They're all among the most desirable cars in the world - from the old air cooled single turbos to the first AWD 993s and the latest super-car versions.  I could spend half of the new Cayman and "live with" a 996 TT - the least desirable turbo and still a ridiculously fast and over-engineered car.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
My $85K for a Porsche would be for a 911TT - nothing else.  It's 10x the car the Cayman is.  In fact I'd rather have any year 911 turbo than any model new Cayman.  They're all among the most desirable cars in the world - from the old air cooled single turbos to the first AWD 993s and the latest super-car versions.  I could spend half of the new Cayman and "live with" a 996 TT - the least desirable turbo and still a ridiculously fast and over-engineered car.
Agree with you on the 996TT.  And plenty of money left over for track days / mods.