Author Topic: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)  (Read 36129 times)

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
Re: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #120 on: January 11, 2015, 09:01:34 pm »
I learned in a Nissan Sentra.  I don't recall it having a tach or the driver instructor made me listen to the engine instead of watching the tach.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #121 on: January 11, 2015, 10:55:35 pm »
When I got my drivers license years ago, I learned on a manual.  My first manual car was purchased 5 years after that, my 2002 Protégé.  Took me a week to get into the swing of things.  That car had a great manual transmission.  I did put a B&M short shifter on it.  Made it slightly notchier, but the throws are nice.  I taught several friends how to drive manual on it.  Very easy, forgiving car to learn on.

Bought my 300ZX in manual in 2005.

I replaced the Protégé this year with the van and I miss having a manual for a DD.  I hope that when I replace the van years from now, I can still buy a decent sedan with a manual.

PS, if you are in the Edmonton area and want a vehicle to teach someone manual on, I can sell you my old Protégé for pretty cheap (hundreds, not thousands).  338k kms and going strong.  Just needs a wash, new tires and an oil change.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2015, 10:57:35 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #122 on: January 11, 2015, 11:00:09 pm »

The thing about a stick-shift... good or indifferent...is that after a while it becomes automatic. You use it without thinking about it. Your senses become tuned to engine labour without the need to view a tach. Only in stop-go traffic is it a pain.
   I used to get caught out occasionally after a long run in top gear on a highway...when pulling into the off ramp and slowing down. My senses had lapsed and the engine would start to 'lump'...requiring a rapid declutching to save the day.

This. Except stop and go traffic never seemed to bother me.  It was just second nature.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Re: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #123 on: January 12, 2015, 12:59:29 am »
When I got my drivers license years ago, I learned on a manual.  My first manual car was purchased 5 years after that, my 2002 Protégé.  Took me a week to get into the swing of things.  That car had a great manual transmission.  I did put a B&M short shifter on it.  Made it slightly notchier, but the throws are nice.  I taught several friends how to drive manual on it.  Very easy, forgiving car to learn on.

I replaced the Protégé this year with the van and I miss having a manual for a DD.  I hope that when I replace the van years from now, I can still buy a decent sedan with a manual.

PS, if you are in the Edmonton area and want a vehicle to teach someone manual on, I can sell you my old Protégé for pretty cheap (hundreds, not thousands).  338k kms and going strong.  Just needs a wash, new tires and an oil change.

I will keep that Protege in mind.....have a few buddies with kids around the driving age. Beater with a stick is perfect :D

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #124 on: January 12, 2015, 07:19:17 am »

I will keep that Protege in mind.....have a few buddies with kids around the driving age. Beater with a stick is perfect :D

Sent from my Galaxy S3
And for extra fun, I have a full turbo setup for it that I never got around to install.  Would have been fun for a Lemons or Chump Car entry.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2015, 09:33:22 am »

Interesting.  Would it pass an insurance inspection?  Very, very tempting...

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2015, 12:23:31 pm »

Interesting.  Would it pass an insurance inspection?  Very, very tempting...
Aside from body rust, it should.  Brakes are in good shape.  Only thing that may hold it from passing are tires.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2015, 01:37:53 pm »
I didn't read all 7 pages, but just have to add that emission controls and lazy throttle-by-wire are ruining modern manuals.  Most new test drives I've been on, the engine is very lazy to drop revs, or build them, rendering a blip of the throttle on downshifts impossible.  It makes the car cumbersome and clunky to drive, while causing excess clutch wear, never mind removing the fun from driving them.  A real shame...  I'll hold on to my old manual till it explodes.

If kids are in the future for me I totally plan on teaching them the art of the manual.

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2015, 01:34:12 pm »
i know I'm going to get flamed for posting this as I have before in this very forum, but is worth a mention since we are talking about the benefits of manual transmission cars. The ability to bump start! There goes a time when I would position my car when parking, so that when I leave I can just easily bump start the car without needing to tax the starter nor the battery! This was when I had my 5spd civic, I abused the living crap out of the engine off coasting in neutral technique haha as I was hypermiling that beast to the tune of 5L/100km in the city (47 mpgUS). Granted there are repercussions behind my hardcoreness but I will not get into details here.... you can google hypermiling if you are actually interested.

I've always seen warning on catalyst equipped cars saying not the bump start them. I wonder why.

yeah there are techs that are against dumping raw fuel into the CAT when bumping. Although I've seen some hypermilers gone long milages with their engines. Although I'm going to pop this question to ERICthecar guy on youtube one day.
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6817
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2015, 01:50:29 pm »
I didn't read all 7 pages, but just have to add that emission controls and lazy throttle-by-wire are ruining modern manuals.  Most new test drives I've been on, the engine is very lazy to drop revs, or build them, rendering a blip of the throttle on downshifts impossible.  It makes the car cumbersome and clunky to drive, while causing excess clutch wear, never mind removing the fun from driving them.  A real shame

Observation of the century! 

:fiver:
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 01:52:05 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2015, 08:25:46 pm »
I didn't read all 7 pages, but just have to add that emission controls and lazy throttle-by-wire are ruining modern manuals.  Most new test drives I've been on, the engine is very lazy to drop revs, or build them, rendering a blip of the throttle on downshifts impossible.  It makes the car cumbersome and clunky to drive, while causing excess clutch wear, never mind removing the fun from driving them.  A real shame

Observation of the century! 

:fiver:
True.  Very few give a good feel anymore.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #131 on: February 11, 2015, 08:42:11 pm »
I didn't read all 7 pages, but just have to add that emission controls and lazy throttle-by-wire are ruining modern manuals.  Most new test drives I've been on, the engine is very lazy to drop revs, or build them, rendering a blip of the throttle on downshifts impossible.  It makes the car cumbersome and clunky to drive, while causing excess clutch wear, never mind removing the fun from driving them.  A real shame...  I'll hold on to my old manual till it explodes.

If kids are in the future for me I totally plan on teaching them the art of the manual.

It's true, but you get used to it after more than a test drive. Throttle blip for downshifts isn't impossible, you just have to adjust your timing somewhat. And I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think most aftermarket tunes take care of the lazy throttle and rev-hang. I might try a tune for that reason alone, but my manual car is still plenty fun to drive as-is.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 11, 2015, 08:50:45 pm »
^^Man...you can't believe how good a tune is on your car.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 11, 2015, 09:10:01 pm »

Yeah, that's what everyone says. Warranty is up in May, so might give it a try.

Still, I'm a little concerned about changing the character of the thing. I like that the stock car builds power pretty smoothly all the way to redline. Apparently, Stage 1 adds a bunch of midrange, which is great, but then the engine feels like it runs out of steam at the top end. I like winding it out to redline just for the fun of it, so not sure how I'll like that.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 11, 2015, 09:52:13 pm »
I think with the APR stuff you can always turn it on and off right?
You can't just have your characters announce how they feel.
That makes me feel angry!

Present: 15.5 V60 T6 + Polestar, 17 MDX
Sometimes Borrow: 11 GLK350
Dark and Twisted Past: 13 TL AWD, 07 Z4 3.0si, 07 CLK550, 06 TSX, 07 Civic, 01 Grandma!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:25 pm »

Yeah, that's what everyone says. Warranty is up in May, so might give it a try.

Still, I'm a little concerned about changing the character of the thing. I like that the stock car builds power pretty smoothly all the way to redline. Apparently, Stage 1 adds a bunch of midrange, which is great, but then the engine feels like it runs out of steam at the top end. I like winding it out to redline just for the fun of it, so not sure how I'll like that.

Different companies offer different styles of tunes.  You need to find one that suits your driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 11, 2015, 09:54:51 pm »

Depends on the tune.  Some of them you can if you have a flasher.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 11, 2015, 10:01:41 pm »

Yeah, but I'll feel pretty stupid if I drop $800 on a tune and wind up just turning it off.  :-\

And yes, APR isn't the only company out there, but from my limited research into it, APR is probably the way to go. Maybe not so much if I lived in So-Cal or somewhere, but I doubt there's lots of choice at shops in Calgary. Maybe I'm wrong - will definitely look into it if I get serious.

Offline mmret

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +240/-570
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 11, 2015, 10:03:16 pm »
Yeah I think I'd lean towards the APR stuff....they are the most popular one I believe and they have been at it for a long time so it should be a very well sorted out tune.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 11, 2015, 10:25:23 pm »

Yeah, but I'll feel pretty stupid if I drop $800 on a tune and wind up just turning it off.  :-\

And yes, APR isn't the only company out there, but from my limited research into it, APR is probably the way to go. Maybe not so much if I lived in So-Cal or somewhere, but I doubt there's lots of choice at shops in Calgary. Maybe I'm wrong - will definitely look into it if I get serious.

You can definitely do a road tune....done via the internet.  Some of the best tunes are done that way.  The Cobb datalogs.  You drive your car, send the datalog in via e-mail, car gets tuned.  Re-drive with new tune, send in new datalog to verify...and car gets tweaked if needed.  That way the tune is done to your specific car, with your fuel in your unique driving locale.

I pointed Vmango in this direction to the very highly regarded Clark Turner.  Vmango loved his tune on his WRX.