Author Topic: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)  (Read 36163 times)

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
Re: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 02:11:07 pm »

These charts from the EPA's report show the production shares of transmissions going back to 1980. The numbers are the gears; the letters "L" and "A" are for automatics, with "L" standing for those with a lockup torque converter, the standard in most vehicles. The green section for "M" shows how modern five-speed manuals peaked around 1987 for cars at 25 percent and in 1990 for trucks at roughly 30 percent, before the great decline set in. (Four- and three-speed manuals had been on the way out long before.)

https://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/the-decline-of-manual-transmissions-in-two-graphs-%E2%80%94-and-proof-they-re-coming-back-194033483.html

It used to be that Canadians bough manuals at roughly twice the American rate, but I don't know if that is still the case.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 02:21:36 pm »
I drove manuals exclusively for 40 years.  Then a DSG and now an 8 speed auto.
I COMPLETELY disagree with people who find a manual to hard/tiring/difficult to drive in commuter traffic. I did it for 30+ years without a problem. Although I will admit that some manuals and their clutches could have done with redesign by a Honda engineer before being sold to the public.
I do agree that manuals are easier in slippery conditions.

I am now of the opinion that a properly programmed  automated manual( aka DSG/PDK/DCT)  with available paddle shifting is the way to go.    From what I read in the forum some manufacturers have not managed to get that right...I would have thought that buying and reverse engineering a VW DSG or even just buying a licence for it would have saved millions.

Upcoming emissions and economy standards will probably make manual transmissions a thing of the past unfortunately.
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline CAS

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-12
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Jetta VR6, GTI 1.8T, 330ci, RSX, SAAB 9-3 2.0T, '13 Accord 6-sp, '15 GTI 4dr w/6-sp
« Reply #42 on: January 08, 2015, 03:23:07 pm »
I tried my brother-in-law's new M4 with auto and it's one damn good automatic. It's so well programmed that it almost knows what you're going to do.  Now I can see why automatics will eventually be all that's offered - it's all business.  Manuals are all pleasure.

Offline roundupready

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-12
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2015, 03:27:54 pm »
Great article!

I learned to drive manual from family and got my license with a manual car.  But I'm sure there are things I'm not doing it right.

Could autos.ca do another article focus on the dos and don'ts and other tips on driving a manual?  I want to do things properly.

I tend to skip shift and my friend saw me doing that and told me that's bad. I googled it and found there are opposing opinions.  So I'm still not sure if it's bad or OK.  Things like this.

Hopefully, someone can write a more comprehensive article on the techniques on how to properly drive a manual.

---------------------------
2013 328 xDrive
2010 Legacy 3.6R LTD
2005 Legacy GT 5EAT Stage 2

Offline doc hot rod

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Had a '03 Infiniti G35 Sedan;'04 Infiniti G35 Coupe;'06 Porsche Cayman S; '09 Subaru WRX 265; 2010 Infiniti G37XS; 2010 Mustang GT convertible; 2013 Infiniti G37XS; currently 2010 Ford Flex; BMW 335i Xdrive M Performance Edition
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2015, 03:46:53 pm »
Just did my part.... After 5 years with G37x auto's I made the jump to the 335i with stick shift. It is so easy to drive that in comfort mode (through very little skill of mine); my passengers didn't even notice it was a stick!

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2015, 03:59:07 pm »
Just did my part.... After 5 years with G37x auto's I made the jump to the 335i with stick shift. It is so easy to drive that in comfort mode (through very little skill of mine); my passengers didn't even notice it was a stick!

Sure but how are you expected to eat a burger now and answer the phone while slurping 500ml ?  :rofl2:
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2015, 03:59:51 pm »

Sure but how are you expected to eat a burger now and answer the phone while slurping 500ml ?  :rofl2:

Isn't that why Bluetooth was invented?  :P

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2015, 04:09:44 pm »

Isn't that why Bluetooth was invented?  :P

Voice control!
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #48 on: January 08, 2015, 04:24:32 pm »
Great article Jeff, where is Shifters located? I would like to put my son through that training.

GTA

http://www.shifters.ca/wordpress/

I had that link but it does not say where in the GTA.

I believe he's east-end of Toronto -- Scarboro maybe? 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 08, 2015, 04:36:57 pm »
I drove manuals exclusively for 40 years.  Then a DSG and now an 8 speed auto.
I COMPLETELY disagree with people who find a manual to hard/tiring/difficult to drive in commuter traffic. I did it for 30+ years without a problem. Although I will admit that some manuals and their clutches could have done with redesign by a Honda engineer before being sold to the public.
I do agree that manuals are easier in slippery conditions.

I am now of the opinion that a properly programmed  automated manual( aka DSG/PDK/DCT)  with available paddle shifting is the way to go.    From what I read in the forum some manufacturers have not managed to get that right...I would have thought that buying and reverse engineering a VW DSG or even just buying a licence for it would have saved millions.

Upcoming emissions and economy standards will probably make manual transmissions a thing of the past unfortunately.

My daily commuter is a manual too.  It is not as bad as some people make it to be.  One can find a car with an easy clutch and shifter if one is not that strong.

The nice thing with manual is you can quickly disconnect the engine from the transmission in an oh crap situation such as unintended acceleration.  You can keep both hands on the wheel and don't have to hunt for the N on the automatic selector. 

For the DIYer, manuals are easier to diag and fix. 

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 04:38:29 pm »
I tried my brother-in-law's new M4 with auto and it's one damn good automatic. It's so well programmed that it almost knows what you're going to do.  Now I can see why automatics will eventually be all that's offered - it's all business.  Manuals are all pleasure.

BMW is tuning that 8-speed unbelievably well.  The 228i I drove last year with one blew me away.  While I'd still buy a 228i with the stick shift (it costs less and I'm cheap), the automatic did very little to detract from the fun of that car. 

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 04:45:07 pm »
Great article Jeff, where is Shifters located? I would like to put my son through that training.

GTA

When you sign up for a program you pick from about 12-15 spots that the instructor will meet you at.
I met my guy at a plaza at Eglinton & Kipling i think it was
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 04:48:46 pm by Weels »

Offline doc hot rod

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +2/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Had a '03 Infiniti G35 Sedan;'04 Infiniti G35 Coupe;'06 Porsche Cayman S; '09 Subaru WRX 265; 2010 Infiniti G37XS; 2010 Mustang GT convertible; 2013 Infiniti G37XS; currently 2010 Ford Flex; BMW 335i Xdrive M Performance Edition
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 04:53:21 pm »

In my old age I have become so particular with my cars that I don't let the wife/kids or even my-self eat in them anymore :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 04:58:27 pm »
sold my wife's manual car, but she wants her next one to be stick... my jeep is stick (and looking at swapping it for a new one also with stick)... the morgan is obviously a stick... so i try to do my part...  but only so many choices out there in my brand preferences...

from that chart posted, my manual 6 puts me in a very select group.. i feel special...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 05:04:22 pm »
  I suspect that many have driven a manual shift car for 30 years and are fully conversant with the routine. It's not too hard or difficult but in TOs manifest stop go traffic, shifting is too frequent and that can be tiring after a while. Tiring for the clutch master cylinder seals also. Anything that does not include a manually operated clutch is not a manually operated gear train. I think that you have to be able to heel-and toe to be in the top league...not that this rev matching is necessary any more I suppose.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 10:36:50 pm by Rupert »

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 05:07:50 pm »

GTA

Scarberia! There is ILR Car Control School in Brampton....will try there.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 05:21:02 pm »
Drove manuals exclusively for 35 years, until changing fortunes meant buying a cheaper car in 1999. Wanted an AWD for winter, and quite liked the Impreza auto I test drove. Then I drove the 5 speed manual. What a cantankerous, obstinate, jerk-inducing gearbox plus clutch combination that cluster**** was. Bought the auto.

Drove various manual Subies owned by friends over the next 9 years. All were complete rubbish. Hop in a Civic, and no problem whatsoever. So I got the automatic in my LGT - I find it quite clever, with the combination of short-term manual operation with paddles, and long term floor lever operation. Very convenient and rev-matching downshifts too.

So I try out the new WRX, with that same old Subie gearbox retrieved from a 1930s farm tractor, now with a 6th speed somehow shoe-horned in the case, and also with a brand new feature: Rev Hang. Just lovely. Zero advancement. Accord Sport, Mazda6 and 3, VW, all have decent shifters, but this eludes Subaru unless you concentrate so hard it's no fun anymore. The CVT? I just shake my head after sampling that.

But, but, salvation is at hand! Drove a base STI (no darn silly wing sitting like a tub of lard on the trunk telegraphing to all and sundry what an utter dork you are). Different gearbox made by Aisin. No rev hang. Lovely. No trouble smooth-shifting.

I'm waiting to see whether Subaru adopts the new improvements they made for the 2015 Impreza to the 2016 STI, like half-decent infotainment and sound insulation. Not holding my breath as Subaru is slower than an an Olympic snail at getting around to things. But when they do, I think I'll get back to exercising my left leg again.

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 06:51:38 pm »
Where is Jacob Black's view on importing vehicles from Australia and driving RHD on North Americans roads.
Free Trade with Europe can we import cars over here?

People drive LHD vehicles in Aus all the time - mostly old American classics. Driving an RHD car on American roads is fine (but I don't know the legalities of it). It makes life a tad harder, especially when wanting to overtake on rural roads but otherwise it's okay.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 07:06:53 pm »
Where is Jacob Black's view on importing vehicles from Australia and driving RHD on North Americans roads.
Free Trade with Europe can we import cars over here?

People drive LHD vehicles in Aus all the time - mostly old American classics. Driving an RHD car on American roads is fine (but I don't know the legalities of it). It makes life a tad harder, especially when wanting to overtake on rural roads but otherwise it's okay.
I remember I've driven on the wrong side of the road before when I was in South Africa. Changing gear with my left hand was just.....different but not all that difficult- then again, I am young and adaptable. Figuring out whether I was in 1st or 3rd was the hardest part, because by default I wouldn't push far "out" enough. Also, the 5-speed manual attached to that Chevy Spark (the previous generation.....gross) was awful and getting used to the lack of power steering was also disturbing.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline JacobBlack

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +440/-499
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Ford F-150
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2015, 07:18:04 pm »
I remember I've driven on the wrong side of the road before when I was in South Africa. Changing gear with my left hand was just.....different but not all that difficult- then again, I am young and adaptable.

I'm left-handed, so I had a very small amount of bother changing gears here at first.