Author Topic: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)  (Read 36155 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2015, 10:39:57 am »
The manual is pretty much dead - and except for niche vehicles (think Miata, etc) it won't stage a comeback.  Why not?

1. The vast majority of car buyers don't want a manual.  They're seen as inconvenient, and a "low rent" feature associated with cheap cars.

2. Fuel economy numbers greatly favour all styles of automatics - conventional, CVT, and clutch-type.

3. Resale is poor unless it's one of the specialty vehicles.

4. Car enthusiasts are a shrinking group - young people today that are excited about cars and driving are a smaller percentage than in the last number of decades.  Growing urban populations with access to better transit mean we have fewer young people with a license than in a long time.  Those that do drive and buy cars are more concerned about digital connectivity and low operating costs.  They also drive in heavy urban traffic and a manual lacks appeal in that environment.

I think we'll see true three pedal cars for many years yet thanks to the Miata, FR-S and similar cars, but they're going to be rare and I don't see them ever making a comeback to mainstream vehicles like Accords in real numbers.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2015, 10:44:23 am »
The manual is pretty much dead - and except for niche vehicles (think Miata, etc) it won't stage a comeback.  Why not?

1. The vast majority of car buyers don't want a manual.  They're seen as inconvenient, and a "low rent" feature associated with cheap cars.

2. Fuel economy numbers greatly favour all styles of automatics - conventional, CVT, and clutch-type.

4. Car enthusiasts are a shrinking group - young people today that are excited about cars and driving are a smaller percentage than in the last number of decades.  Growing urban populations with access to better transit mean we have fewer young people with a license than in a long time.  Those that do drive and buy cars are more concerned about digital connectivity and low operating costs.  They also drive in heavy urban traffic and a manual lacks appeal in that environment.

I think we'll see true three pedal cars for many years yet thanks to the Miata, FR-S and similar cars, but they're going to be rare and I don't see them ever making a comeback to mainstream vehicles like Accords in real numbers.

Actually the Accord is still available with a 6-speed in 4-cyl guise.

You can use any other example such as Camry or Altima or Impala.  But not Accord.  Or Mazda 6.  Or Legacy.  Or Passat.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2015, 10:50:37 am »
I know my wife is a better driver when using a manual gearbox. Probably true for most people. I have owned quite a few manual cars and a few autos. I prefer the manual especially on smaller engined cars. Modern automatics are so much better than the old slushboxes but still suck the life out of little engines.

I enjoy a car I get feedback from - a manual gearbox goes a long way here.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2015, 10:52:16 am »
When the WRX gets refreshed, I'm still considering 6MT vs CVT.  I cannot say that I have decided as of yet.

+1 to J Yarkony
+1 to rrocket

...for coming along for my drives with a stick.  More so to rrocket, cuz, y'know, Porsche.  Next time I promise not to be such a facking pu$sy and actually give 'er ;)

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2015, 11:00:41 am »

Not expecting (or even hoping for) a comeback.  Just hoping that there's still a niche left in a few years to keep those of who do like rowing our own actually rowing. 

The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2015, 11:02:28 am »

You can use any other example such as Camry or Altima or Impala.  But not Accord.  Or Mazda 6.  Or Legacy.  Or Passat.

The Accord V6 *coupe* can also be had with a manual still for some strange, but wonderful reason.  And it's a fantastic car to drive.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2015, 11:09:04 am »
This is only a North America thing where a manual is harder to find. I will not buy an automatic and find that I like a certain car/truck but it only comes in automatic here but else where the manual is offered. A co-worker had a Tundra manual in Costa Rica but Canada is to small of a market to offer it. Australia has the manual and diesel in the Rav4 and small pickups but we are stuck with US models but at the same time we pay more that in the US since we are a small market.

Driving my uncles  automatic Honda Accord in the mountains where the transmission kept bouncing between 4 and 5th gear drove me crazy where I wanted to leave it on the side of the road
Having a automatic gear down on an icy road is dangerous, or gear up and  lunge forward.

The next step is self driving cars what is in the works.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2015, 11:19:02 am »
I wonder how those self braking cars do in the snow and ice. Seems dangerous to me. If you have feathering the brakes on ice and suddenly the car puts the brakes full on (and you lose steering). Could convert a near miss to an accident.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2015, 11:21:03 am »

Not expecting (or even hoping for) a comeback.  Just hoping that there's still a niche left in a few years to keep those of who do like rowing our own actually rowing. 

I think there will always be a niche. It's getting smaller but it will always be there.
You csn still purchase a 2014 Q60S (G37S) with 6 spd as well. Next year, I'm not so sure.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2015, 11:25:11 am »
I wonder how those self braking cars do in the snow and ice. Seems dangerous to me. If you have feathering the brakes on ice and suddenly the car puts the brakes full on (and you lose steering). Could convert a near miss to an accident.
You think auto-braking disables ABS?!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2015, 11:28:21 am »
... like Accords in real numbers.

I know the Accord is still to be had with a stick - but it's not going to be making a sales comeback.  That segment won't have any manuals in the not-too-distant future.

Offline drive67

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +4/-28
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Tacoma,Celica, HondaCRX, VW Scirocco,Ram,
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2015, 11:28:44 am »
Where is Jacob Black's view on importing vehicles from Australia and driving RHD on North Americans roads.
Free Trade with Europe can we import cars over here?

Offline dr_spock

• Spock
  • Carma: +46/-56
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2015, 11:42:30 am »

Depends on the types of sensors and programming they put into a self-drive car.   It is not hard to have sensor detect the driving conditions and the software adjust the driving accordingly.  You can program in no tail gating, stick to the right lane unless to pass, red light running, obey speed limits, etc. 

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 08, 2015, 11:52:05 am »
I learned to drive in a manual car and in the UK at the time manual transmissions were the only option. Yes, you are more engaged in the process of conducting a vehicle with a manual transmission and if being a motorcyclist initially; you also are more aware of road conditions…falling off because of running over something on the road being a concern. I agree with most of the above and the article is well crafted.
   I think that 5 forward gears are plenty though…the fifth being mostly a clear highway ratio (if you can find one). I have not heard about an ‘overdrive’…in the correct context lately…and think that overdrive on the two top ratios might be a valuable option. Especially valuable on long stretches with a favourable wind behind; to reduce the revs and save gas.
  I believe that older folk know more about manual transmission usage and the history therein and double de-clutching a non synchro and four on the floor generally. Probably enough to realise that urban congested driving is ‘automatic terrain’.
  The thing is that ‘four on the floor’ in the old country car imports was all that was available back in the 50s and the floor stick was re-introduced in NA sporty cars in the form of a relocated to the floor automatic lever. Bit of a daft idea…the column shifter was a much better place for D,P and R. It was just styling and adapting to a sales cue. I suppose that there is no harm in this except it still seems to reign for smaller automatics where space is at a premium and a large box mounted auto stick on the floor is contra-indicated space-wise.
  Another issue for me is the advent of automatics with manual override …by paddle or side-shift lever. Without the clutch pedal it all feels wrong. The input seems more like interference somehow and others here have agreed with me and don’t use it. One wonders why you would pay for an automatic…and shift yourself. I suppose the answer is that you don’t. I was overjoyed when I at last found a need for this option on…yeah the GC…when towing the trailer through hilly terrain out west. I found that a quick sideways flip of the lever would downshift at the bottom of a hill and help to maintain the engine revs for the next up-grade. The automatic was slow to shift. Of course the lever has to be handy and the dash mounted GC lever is. Never been used again in 7  years, except to choose 5th when towing.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:02:08 pm by Rupert »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #34 on: January 08, 2015, 11:57:49 am »
I can't ever see myself buying any remotely sporty vehicle without a manual. I know that the DCT/PDK bs is faster, more efficient....blah blah blah, but I do not get the same satisfaction out of it. This transmission choice of course is going away, most young people do not have access to a manual car as the parents both have automatics. When I was in high school, pretty well the norm was that your first car was a POS beater with a manual transmission because they were cheaper, nowadays, mommy and daddy want junior to have umpteen airbags and eyesight thingies so they are all getting newer cars...that are automatic. This is just judging by the local high school parking lot and the kids living on our street. I hope to have this option when I buy a car, because to me, it totally adds to the driving experience.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2015, 12:15:42 pm »
I'm an old curmudgeon that loves driving a stick - and hope that we keep having at least sporting/performance cars available with three pedals.  The new Vette having the stick is encouraging and despite the 8-spd AT being quicker, I'd still go for the manual.  Just 'cause.  And nicely, cars like the Corvette have no resale/etc penalties when bought with the manual.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2015, 12:18:18 pm »
Great article Jeff, where is Shifters located? I would like to put my son through that training.

GTA

http://www.shifters.ca/wordpress/

I had that link but it does not say where in the GTA.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +257/-776
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 12:19:13 pm »
I've only ever owned one automatic car and that was because the price was too good to pass up and it was going to be driven by my girlfriend anyways.

I taught her how to drive manual on my Cherokee but the clutch was too heavy and she hated it. Then I bought a Protege5 with a manual for her to drive and she loved it.

Between my father and I we did our part to keep the manual alive by buying a six-speed Golf TDI wagon and a six-speed GTI last year.

Offline PoopGiggles

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-1
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2002 Honda Civic Si-R
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 12:41:57 pm »
My current vehicle is a manual and I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Cars that don't have a manual option are immediately crossed off my list. Sometimes I think I'm being too nitpicky about it but I just try to remember that when I did drive an automatic I always wished it was a manual. It's not very often that I wished my manual was an auto.

Offline Spec5

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +8/-30
  • Give me 3 pedals or no pedals!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1987 Pontiac Firebird, 1999 Pontiac Sunfire GT, 1992 Ford Taurus SHO, 1989 Pontiac Bonneville, 2003 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V, 2007 Hyundai Tucson, 2012 Honda Odyssey EX, 2016 Honda CRV SE
« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 01:57:30 pm »
My current vehicle is a manual and I'm in the market for a new vehicle. Cars that don't have a manual option are immediately crossed off my list. Sometimes I think I'm being too nitpicky about it but I just try to remember that when I did drive an automatic I always wished it was a manual. It's not very often that I wished my manual was an auto.

+1

When I got rid of my '03 Spec V and bought our Tucson I wished it was a stick. This year we needed to downsize a bit which meant getting rid of our Odyssey and getting a 2nd Civic - the only way we can tell the 2 cars apart is by looking at the keyfob (they're different between 13 and 14) or by looking at the trans. Its just an LX but I love my 5spd. Its my 4th manual and I must say for all the hoopla about how well Honda does a manual trans I can't say its any better/worse than my Spec V was. Definitely better than my '99 Sunfire GT though! The "hill hold" feature that's supposed to hold the car for you when you're on an incline seems to have a bit of a devilish streak in it - sometimes it engages and sometimes it doesn't! I'd rather it just stay off because when you're expecting it to hold the car there and it doesn't...... :)

Now if I can just get my wife to drive the damn thing. 7 years ago I taught her on my Spec V and she was GOOD! But she just refuses flately to even MOVE this car. Its very annoying.

I seem to remember seeing a figure somewhere about only 2% of new cars were purchased with a manual. Pretty sure that was for NA.

Nice article btw :)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 02:01:24 pm by Spec5 »
My other Honda is an MP4-31!