Author Topic: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)  (Read 36128 times)

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #140 on: February 11, 2015, 10:36:58 pm »
Still, I'm a little concerned about changing the character of the thing. I like that the stock car builds power pretty smoothly all the way to redline. Apparently, Stage 1 adds a bunch of midrange, which is great, but then the engine feels like it runs out of steam at the top end. I like winding it out to redline just for the fun of it, so not sure how I'll like that.

I have a Stage 1 tune and you are right, it just falls flat at the top end but the midrange is incredible. While its been a long time since I've driven a stock GTI but from what I remember, going though 1st and 2nd is better but nothing amazing.... then 3rd is where the fun starts to happen as it just pulls much harder.

Another thing is I find the turbo spools up a little later off the line, closer to 2200-2500 rpm you start to get lots of boost.

Personally I like the tune as around town I don't need much power due to traffic but when the roads are clear I'm always in the meaty part of the boost anyway.

I believe you can get a test tune where it works for 7 days so if you don't like it, you move on with your life. If you do like it you can get a full flash and enjoy it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #141 on: February 11, 2015, 10:38:51 pm »
I think with the APR stuff you can always turn it on and off right?

Yeah, but I'll feel pretty stupid if I drop $800 on a tune and wind up just turning it off.  :-\

And yes, APR isn't the only company out there, but from my limited research into it, APR is probably the way to go. Maybe not so much if I lived in So-Cal or somewhere, but I doubt there's lots of choice at shops in Calgary. Maybe I'm wrong - will definitely look into it if I get serious.

You can definitely do a road tune....done via the internet.  Some of the best tunes are done that way.  The Cobb datalogs.  You drive your car, send the datalog in via e-mail, car gets tuned.  Re-drive with new tune, send in new datalog to verify...and car gets tweaked if needed.  That way the tune is done to your specific car, with your fuel in your unique driving locale.

I pointed Vmango in this direction to the very highly regarded Clark Turner.  Vmango loved his tune on his WRX.

The ECU has to come out of my car and physically get opened up, so not sure if any of that is applicable. And now that you've reminded me, physically cracking open the ECU and making sure it gets resealed properly is a big reason I haven't done this already.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #142 on: February 11, 2015, 10:39:58 pm »
I think with the APR stuff you can always turn it on and off right?

Yeah, but I'll feel pretty stupid if I drop $800 on a tune and wind up just turning it off.  :-\

And yes, APR isn't the only company out there, but from my limited research into it, APR is probably the way to go. Maybe not so much if I lived in So-Cal or somewhere, but I doubt there's lots of choice at shops in Calgary. Maybe I'm wrong - will definitely look into it if I get serious.

You can definitely do a road tune....done via the internet.  Some of the best tunes are done that way.  The Cobb datalogs.  You drive your car, send the datalog in via e-mail, car gets tuned.  Re-drive with new tune, send in new datalog to verify...and car gets tweaked if needed.  That way the tune is done to your specific car, with your fuel in your unique driving locale.

I pointed Vmango in this direction to the very highly regarded Clark Turner.  Vmango loved his tune on his WRX.
This.  Except my tuners come up often enough that I go for a road tune.  Should be fun this year with working variable valve timing and possibly an upgrade to twin GTX2860s.