Author Topic: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)  (Read 36132 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #100 on: January 09, 2015, 01:23:54 pm »
... Peddle shifters are a  gimmick no one uses after a few times.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #101 on: January 09, 2015, 01:55:46 pm »
My issue has always been that they're aren't very many great manuals out there.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Feature: Long Live the Manual Transmission (and How to Save it)
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »
What about the one in your 80s vintage 911?

LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 09, 2015, 02:23:14 pm »
What about the one in your 80s vintage 911?

LOL.

It was awful.  To give everyone an idea...here's an article from Edmunds.

The above map is to scale. So is the shift pattern.

Disclaimer - I like this car. A lot. After a weekend, I can go through gears in this car easier than Elizabeth Taylor went through husbands. Too soon?

Lets take a run through the gears.

Gears one through four are tight together, much like they should be on a four-speed gearbox. Only fifth seems to be in a different orbit. It's like they just stuck fifth gear into a 'box where only four had been before.

So let's look at that map.

First is in Beverly Hills. Nice place. Second is in Rolling Hills Estates. It's a nice place too, but it's going to take a while to get there. Just be patient. Third is all the way the hell back up in Hollywood. Don't worry, if you learned anything from your trip from Beverly Hills down to Rolling Hills, the trip back up should be a lot quicker. Fourth... fourth is in San Pedro. It's next to Rolling Hills Estates, but if you're not careful, you're going wind up back in Rolling Hills Estates and you're gonna have a problem. Rolling Hills and San Pedro are solid three wood apart. And much like the two cities themselves, what you can do in San Pedro, you can't get away with in Rolling Hills.

Now for fifth.

Fifth is in Upland. It's a hell of a long way to go. Much like Upland, the first time you go there, you start to wonder if you've gone too far, only to wind up there after you thought you couldn't possibly go any further east. A little blip of the throttle ensures you drop it into gear without a second thought.

Now comes the hard part.

Our 911's shift linkage is not self centering; once you're in Upland, it wants to stay in Upland. To get it back into fourth takes an act of faith. Upland to San Pedro. Pick the wrong exit and you wind up in Rolling Hills; you're going to pay. This is how I get there. I pull it out of fifth, and throw the lever west until it hits the stop above second. From there, I move it east, barely, until I think I'm over fourth and with a blip, I drop it into gear. Another blip to match the revs I hope are correct and then I let the clutch out and listen. A spike means I've gone to far and I'm in second and I'm going to have explaining to do. No spike means I'm right where I want to be and I just mash the throttle and revel in some flat six sound - I can also breath again.

For me, the lack of a self centering shifter is the most difficult part about this gearbox. I'd love to say how difficult this 911 is to drive, with the hopes of scaring off the rest of the staff, but the fact is, I really dig this car. It take some adaptation, but if you care enough to learn its ways, it rewards you with things only an air cooled 911 can. I want more.

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +3/-7
  • Drive it like your renting it!!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '11 Kia Sorento SX - '11 Kia Sportage SX
« Reply #104 on: January 09, 2015, 02:40:20 pm »
I hope the manual doesn't go away, still my preferred method, more control, more feel.  Cant say I have been in any good ones lately, the old Honda ones were so light I wanted to drive the clutch through the floorboards, of course coming from the worlds worst, the SHO clutch, heavier than a pig at slaughter time. The old Integra had a really nice one, not too light and not too notchy.  Hopefully in the not too distant future will be a manual.  I like cars with all the toys, which spells automatic for the manufacturers and right now I'm too cheap for a FGC.

Cheers
Woody

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 09, 2015, 03:05:44 pm »

right now I'm too cheap for a FGC.

Cheers
Woody

Or too smart!

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 09, 2015, 03:14:23 pm »

right now I'm too cheap for a FGC.

Cheers
Woody

Or too smart!

Nope, not too smart, plenty dumb enough, even after the last two, I do see a FGC in my future.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #107 on: January 09, 2015, 05:18:22 pm »
... Peddle shifters are a  gimmick no one uses after a few times.

And the singular of calves is calf, BTW. Just thought you might want to know. :)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 09, 2015, 06:50:38 pm »
And the singular of calves is calf, BTW. Just thought you might want to know. :)

I actually do know that, but prefer to use the verb...

;D

Offline philmcneal

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-12
  • Hypermiler Enthusiast & E-Store Owner
    • View Profile
    • Do you believe that a bidet can increase your quality of life?
  • Cars: 2004 Toyota Prius, Town and Country Minivan, Chrysler 200,
« Reply #109 on: January 09, 2015, 11:23:15 pm »
i know I'm going to get flamed for posting this as I have before in this very forum, but is worth a mention since we are talking about the benefits of manual transmission cars. The ability to bump start! There goes a time when I would position my car when parking, so that when I leave I can just easily bump start the car without needing to tax the starter nor the battery! This was when I had my 5spd civic, I abused the living crap out of the engine off coasting in neutral technique haha as I was hypermiling that beast to the tune of 5L/100km in the city (47 mpgUS). Granted there are repercussions behind my hardcoreness but I will not get into details here.... you can google hypermiling if you are actually interested.

These days my Prius does all the dirty work for me, but whenever I get behind a manual transmission car in the future, I can't help but enjoy the ability to bump-start and accelerate in my desired gear within less than a second with silky smoothness (it was an art to be mastered). The manual transmission is still a solid choice when choosing a budget new car these days with smaller displacement engines combined with the driver skill to eke every oz of fuel, although lower gas prices has reversed the trend until further notice.

Going on autotrader and then setting the filters to manual > private owners with your desired price can net you some interesting results, as people who own manual transmission cars are more likely to care for their cars as opposed to their automatic counterparts.

Long live the manual!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2015, 11:28:38 pm by philmcneal »
The best car is one that is cheap to operate. If you are curious about bidets please visit my web site on how they can improve your quality of life!

Offline initial_D

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +30/-50
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 10, 2015, 02:27:28 am »
I put over 500,000 Kms on two E30s, driving a BMW 3 series without a stick shift just does not feel right for me.

Offline gosteelerz

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +1/-4
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Mustang V6 2007 Focus
« Reply #111 on: January 10, 2015, 05:57:54 pm »
I haven't driven a recent manual that I found to be bad. Certainly nowhere near the god awful cable actuated ones from the 1980s.

This is so true.  The last bad shifting car I have driven was a '98 Neon which my friend owned.  I still begged him to drive it every time he visited as I was stuck in Auto Purgatory, at the time.

It is a pretty safe bet these days that if you come a across a three pedal pilot,  they enjoy the act of driving.

Offline phazotron

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-22
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Montana SV6
« Reply #112 on: January 10, 2015, 09:12:44 pm »
I haven't driven a stick shift in way too many years  :-[
But when I can afford my mid-life crisis, it will have a manual tranny!

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 10, 2015, 10:44:26 pm »
i know I'm going to get flamed for posting this as I have before in this very forum, but is worth a mention since we are talking about the benefits of manual transmission cars. The ability to bump start! There goes a time when I would position my car when parking, so that when I leave I can just easily bump start the car without needing to tax the starter nor the battery! This was when I had my 5spd civic, I abused the living crap out of the engine off coasting in neutral technique haha as I was hypermiling that beast to the tune of 5L/100km in the city (47 mpgUS). Granted there are repercussions behind my hardcoreness but I will not get into details here.... you can google hypermiling if you are actually interested.

I've always seen warning on catalyst equipped cars saying not the bump start them. I wonder why.

Offline Rupert

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +49/-160
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 11, 2015, 09:43:41 am »
   The thing about a stick-shift... good or indifferent...is that after a while it becomes automatic. You use it without thinking about it. Your senses become tuned to engine labour without the need to view a tach. Only in stop-go traffic is it a pain.
   I used to get caught out occasionally after a long run in top gear on a highway...when pulling into the off ramp and slowing down. My senses had lapsed and the engine would start to 'lump'...requiring a rapid declutching to save the day.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #115 on: January 11, 2015, 10:06:06 am »
The Citroen I learned on, didn't even have a tach...

Offline Woodyism

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 11, 2015, 01:57:26 pm »

Neither did my diesel "Wabbit", when it hit the rev limiter, change gears!!  ;D
Cheers
Woody

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 11, 2015, 07:23:56 pm »

And you don't need one. A true manual driver goes by the sound of the engine.
As Rupert mentioned earlier it all becomes automatic driving a manual. ;D
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata
2016 Toyota Tacoma SR

Offline tpl

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +298/-675
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Taos
« Reply #118 on: January 11, 2015, 07:42:25 pm »

When I learnt to drive in a clapped out Mk 1 Mini you changed up when you heard the valves bouncing. ;D
The most radical revolutionary will become a conservative the day after the revolution.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #119 on: January 11, 2015, 08:04:42 pm »

That's what I was trying to say, you don't need one.  Little tougher with the old diesel, as it sounds like a tractor to begin with, it's not like modern cars, the high-revs, is like music..