Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 805376 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #5380 on: July 31, 2024, 08:33:09 am »
Fun read on Auto 123 (FR) of my colleague Michel Crepault's EV trek in Maine. He was driving a GV60 through touristy areas that are very familiar to me, and ended up on a treasure hunt for working charging stations. Spent 7.6 hours in the daytime charging up during a one week trip. The contrast with the QC infrastructure - where even tiny villages have fast chargers - is stunning. He had enough charghing locations, but most did not work. A 120V overnight charge at his AirBnB did about nothing.

If you're just following the major highway corridors (93, 95), things are probably fine (?), but if you're actually enjoying the areas instead of driving through them, it does not work. Yet.

Quite the contrast with my similar vacation in my PHEV, except I was not able to charge at all in QC because nothing was available when I needed / could use them (and no 120V outside at my rental place).
Long live ICE!!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5381 on: August 03, 2024, 01:09:39 pm »
Samsung showcases their solid state batteries: 20 year life, 9 min charging.
https://www.rideapart.com/news/728316/samsung-ss-ev-battery-coming-soon/
This is what Toyota is waiting for I guess.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-329
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #5382 on: August 04, 2024, 10:55:02 pm »
Brand new two year old (going on three) Mach E. $33,000!! Discount!!

Almost a deal @ that. Just what’s the resale value looking like for these in demand EV’s?

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5383 on: August 08, 2024, 09:04:38 am »
I see that Dodge isn't playing around with their new Dodge Charger Daytona.  https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/2024-dodge-charger-daytona-ev-electric-canadian-price

Seeing as the base model gets nearly 500hp, I think it is AWD, free level 2 charger, and starting at just shy of $55K, meaning it will be eligible for rebates (here in NB it would qualify for $10K total).  I can definitely think of worse EV's you could buy for a similar price. 

Holy crap, it's a lot more expensive in the US https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a61818156/2024-dodge-charger-daytona-ev-pricing/ Not often you see MSRP less in Canada without the exchange rate difference.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 09:17:45 am by JohnnyMac »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #5384 on: August 08, 2024, 09:37:14 am »
I see that Dodge isn't playing around with their new Dodge Charger Daytona.  https://driving.ca/auto-news/news/2024-dodge-charger-daytona-ev-electric-canadian-price

Seeing as the base model gets nearly 500hp, I think it is AWD, free level 2 charger, and starting at just shy of $55K, meaning it will be eligible for rebates (here in NB it would qualify for $10K total).  I can definitely think of worse EV's you could buy for a similar price. 

Holy crap, it's a lot more expensive in the US https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a61818156/2024-dodge-charger-daytona-ev-pricing/ Not often you see MSRP less in Canada without the exchange rate difference.

That pricing is really strange. I wonder what the explanation is.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #5385 on: August 08, 2024, 09:43:12 am »

I'm assuming the reasoning behind the price is to qualify for the rebates, if I remember the vehicle needs to start at $55K or less to be eligible for the EV rebates.

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: August 08, 2024, 03:58:39 pm »

I'm assuming the reasoning behind the price is to qualify for the rebates, if I remember the vehicle needs to start at $55K or less to be eligible for the EV rebates.

This is also my guess.

https://media.stellantisnorthamerica.com/newsrelease.do?id=26053
""2024 Dodge Charger, the first all-electric vehicle from Dodge, will initially be available at dealerships in British Columbia and Quebec, then will expand to other markets as production ramps up. Expected to be eligible for stackable government EV rebates on all models, with up to $5,000 in federal rebates and up to $7,000 in provincial rebates""
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: August 08, 2024, 04:02:30 pm »
Is this the future interpretation of past tent trailer that became RV for EVs?

Fully Charged Show
YT
Insane Shrinking RV Packs a Week of Off-Grid Power!

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5388 on: August 08, 2024, 05:29:57 pm »

This is also my guess.

""2024 Dodge Charger, the first all-electric vehicle from Dodge, will initially be available at dealerships in British Columbia and Quebec, then will expand to other markets as production ramps up. Expected to be eligible for stackable government EV rebates on all models, with up to $5,000 in federal rebates and up to $7,000 in provincial rebates""

It's going to be one of the cheapest things on a Stellantis lot! Especially in places like Quebec

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: August 08, 2024, 07:21:10 pm »

This is also my guess.

It's going to be one of the cheapest things on a Stellantis lot! Especially in places like Quebec

About latest BC rules, to get the full EV 4K$ credit: individual income has to be below 80K$ and car price MSRP 50K$ max, not sure if applicable on that one...?  :shuffle:
« Last Edit: August 08, 2024, 07:23:10 pm by me_2 »

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #5390 on: August 10, 2024, 01:21:41 pm »
Although the linked article from Car and Driver does not quality as strictly EV, I think this is the appropriate place to post/discuss it. It talks about the performance differential between hybrid mode vs EV mode for PHEVs and the results of the first of a kind acceleration tests by C&D. In EV mode, PHEVs take somewhere from 75% to 300% longer to hit 60 mph from a standing start!! For all those who buy PHEVs to commute distances which are within the EV range in such vehicles, the downside is that you will be constrained to drive like Grandpa should you want a pure EV commute!!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a61826413/toyota-prius-prime-plug-in-hybrid-slow-ev-acceleration-test/

While PHEVs might sound like the best of both worlds, it's more complicated than that, especially since they're usually heavier than hybrid equivalents yet their electric motors aren't as mighty as EV alternatives. And for anyone who loves an electric car's speedy acceleration, that sensation is lost in translation on plug-in hybrids when motivated by electricity alone. As our 60-mph acceleration testing reveals, PHEVs are downright slow in EV mode.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5391 on: August 10, 2024, 01:32:05 pm »
I’ve always considered EV mode in a PHEV to be more of an urban thing. I’m more interested in how they would accelerate from a stop to 50 or 60 KPH.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #5392 on: August 10, 2024, 02:56:56 pm »
Although the linked article from Car and Driver does not quality as strictly EV, I think this is the appropriate place to post/discuss it. It talks about the performance differential between hybrid mode vs EV mode for PHEVs and the results of the first of a kind acceleration tests by C&D. In EV mode, PHEVs take somewhere from 75% to 300% longer to hit 60 mph from a standing start!! For all those who buy PHEVs to commute distances which are within the EV range in such vehicles, the downside is that you will be constrained to drive like Grandpa should you want a pure EV commute!!

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a61826413/toyota-prius-prime-plug-in-hybrid-slow-ev-acceleration-test/

While PHEVs might sound like the best of both worlds, it's more complicated than that, especially since they're usually heavier than hybrid equivalents yet their electric motors aren't as mighty as EV alternatives. And for anyone who loves an electric car's speedy acceleration, that sensation is lost in translation on plug-in hybrids when motivated by electricity alone. As our 60-mph acceleration testing reveals, PHEVs are downright slow in EV mode.

Good info. Thanks. A Rav4 prime, being lighter then the Lexus in the article, will likely hit 60 in about 10 seconds. Perfectly adequate IMO. In case someone must overtake a grandpa Buick, those extra 100+ horses are a switch flip away  :skid:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: August 10, 2024, 06:02:49 pm »
!! For all those who buy PHEVs to commute distances which are within the EV range in such vehicles, the downside is that you will be constrained to drive like Grandpa should you want a pure EV commute!!

Pure nonsense.

I commute every single day in EV mode.

And I'm NEVER doing 0-60 blasts. I accelerate and keep up with ICE traffic just fine in normal, every day driving.

The reason for this is most PHEV are just as quick (or quicker) in EV mode in 0-30mph  or 0-40mph tests...in other words, in "real", normal driving situations.

2017 Prius Prime

0-30 mph

EV 3.5 seconds
Hybrid 3.3 seconds

0-60 mph

EV 12.2 seconds
Hybrid 10.2 seconds

« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 06:30:29 pm by rrocket »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5394 on: August 10, 2024, 06:08:15 pm »
Despite how fast the average car is today....the average driver can be as slow as molasses in winter.  I find most drivers take about 15 seconds to get t 100 kph. When I don't have to try to keep up in a Corolla, you are slow.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5395 on: August 10, 2024, 06:44:43 pm »
It's just called sensible driving - most people aren't doing WOT acceleration all the time - they're gradually getting up to speed.  It's completely normal. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: August 10, 2024, 06:50:41 pm »
It's just called sensible driving - most people aren't doing WOT acceleration all the time - they're gradually getting up to speed.  It's completely normal.
Yep.

I'd say MOST people don't do full throttle acceleration during the daily grind.

I'd say the exception is if one is on/off highway interchanges multiple times per day. But that person probably wouldn't buy a dog slow car as it's a poor fit for that specific type of commute. Even so, most on ramps allow sufficient space to get to speed.

The other situation is if you have a "fun" car and you're doing it just for the joy of it (we've all done that, I think)  [emoji2]
« Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 06:53:21 pm by rrocket »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5397 on: August 10, 2024, 07:34:14 pm »
Most people who do WOT on the daily grind are douchebags... you can tell by the weaving through traffic and lack of signaling that they also do.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: August 10, 2024, 07:40:26 pm »
Generally speaking the only times I am flooring my vehicles is to get out of someone’s way, if the road ahead is completely clear, passing on a two lane highway, and on-ramps to get up to speed.  And almost all those times I only accelerate to about the speed limit and then back off.

There is no way a PHEV in EV mode is not adequate for regular everyday driving.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: August 10, 2024, 10:18:31 pm »

There is no way a PHEV in EV mode is not adequate for regular everyday driving.

This.

There's a bunch of us on here who had slow ICE cars. Sub compacts (Honda Fit,  Toyota Echo) older crossovers (Outback) and CUVs/SUVs (Forester, Highlander, Suburbans, etc)v or classic cars (MGs) and nobody was complaining about how they were holding up traffic.

It's a big nothing burger, click bait article.