Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 811010 times)

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #5160 on: April 05, 2024, 05:25:58 am »
Ford to delay EV production start of re-tooled Oakville, Ontario plant to 2027 from 2025. 2700 workers in limbo.

https://www.cp24.com/news/ford-motor-co-delays-start-of-ev-production-at-oakville-ont-plant-until-2027-1.6833281

Fiorani said Ford is not the first to pause or delay the production of EVs and won't be the last.
“Everybody should have seen it coming,” he said. “The initial adopters for EVs are tech-savvy people or green buyers and they're willing to pay a little extra to have an EV to be first on their block".

Asked what the automaker's delay meant for his government's plan to draw manufacturing capacity to Canada, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said during a press conference in Winnipeg that companies make decisions that make sense to them.

Also CNBC reporting that Ford like other automakers is now going to concentrate on hybrids in the near term. ;D

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/04/04/ford-to-delay-all-electric-suv-to-focus-on-hybrid-vehicles.html

DETROIT – Ford Motor
 is delaying production of a new all-electric large SUV and pickup truck, as it shifts to offer hybrid options across its entire North American lineup by 2030.

The three-row SUV was part of a roughly $1.3 billion investment to transition Ford’s Oakville Assembly Plant in Ontario, Canada, into a new electric vehicle hub. It was supposed to be Ford’s first time completely retooling a North American facility producing gas-powered vehicles into one that manufactures EVs.

I wonder what happens to $25 or is it $27 billion in EV subsidies that Trudeau has announced in the last 1 year. The payback for this "investment" is now going to stretch into eternity :rofl2:

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #5163 on: April 06, 2024, 09:37:50 pm »
Update after 2.5 years away.

Bought a Ford Lightning Lariat Extended Range truck this week, it's 7000 lb of kick ass.   
Kept our 2013 Model S which is still running perfectly, quiet and not a rattle or squeak, update in show shine section.
Traded my 2018 Smart EV for a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq that my son drives.  Most efficient EV we've ever owned, incredible, 170 Wh/km lifetime.

BYE again

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5164 on: April 08, 2024, 08:09:47 am »
An Ariya appeared in a nearby driveway. Starting to see more of these things - I like the design, inside and out - the pricing, not so much.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1240
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #5165 on: April 08, 2024, 08:23:38 am »
An Ariya appeared in a nearby driveway. Starting to see more of these things - I like the design, inside and out - the pricing, not so much.

Saw an ad this morning about leasing for $588/month. Maybe they are seeing they priced themselves out of the Market.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #5166 on: April 11, 2024, 06:52:33 pm »
No rear wiper on the Ioniq 5?  How f'n chintzy can you get?

"Over the course of 12 hours, the Ioniq 5's battery lost just 4 percent of juice."  I wonder how long it would take 4% of the gas in my Corolla's tank to evaporate.

The Long-Term 2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5168 on: April 12, 2024, 07:15:10 am »
Will more follow ...
https://www.msn.com/en-ca/autos/news/aston-martin-reverses-course-will-sell-combustion-cars-into-the-2030s/ar-BB1lsvr1?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=5e249f3435ad4454bdf2dc4a2749348b&ei=40
I think an EV is a tough proposition for most smaller makers....with ROI on such an endeavor probably a decade or more. Big manufacturers can absorb those types of costs.

But smaller companies? It could bankrupt them.

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1240
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #5169 on: April 12, 2024, 10:04:31 am »
No rear wiper on the Ioniq 5?  How f'n chintzy can you get?

The Long-Term 2023 Hyundai Ioniq 5

The 2024 model does have a rear wiper.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #5170 on: April 12, 2024, 06:22:18 pm »
Interesting. With all the fresh choices of EV’s on offer there’s only a 3% increase in US sales and less people who will consider buying one.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/643334/ownership-ticks-fewer-nonowners-buy-one.aspx?utm_source=tagrss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=syndication

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #5171 on: April 13, 2024, 07:51:04 am »
Interesting. With all the fresh choices of EV’s on offer there’s only a 3% increase in US sales and less people who will consider buying one.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/643334/ownership-ticks-fewer-nonowners-buy-one.aspx?utm_source=tagrss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=syndication

If they started at 10 grand, I think Canadians would buy them. Nobody wants to pay these silly prices for EVs. It's incredible what you can buy for little or no money in China. I would like it if VW, with its government subsidies of over 40 billion, would produce cars like this. The plant is only going to cost around 9 billion, pocketing 31 billion in corporate benefits for VW, while the government here in Ontario, is making cuts right, left, and center. VW made $299.5 billion. You'd think some of that money should be passed on to subsidize VW for the masses here in Canada, like the Chinese have done, and why there is such an increase. because it's out taxes that are paying for this, we should see some benefits don't you think?

20 CHEAP Electric Cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4GOzd3CwXA  <--Look how cheap  they are. This is what America needs to start to do.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #5172 on: April 13, 2024, 08:07:28 pm »
Interesting take from someone you can hardly call politicized or a climate change denier.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/jane-goodall-carbon-tax-electric-vehicles-1.7170992
« Last Edit: April 14, 2024, 09:53:33 am by sailor723 »
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5173 on: April 14, 2024, 10:17:38 am »

If they started at 10 grand, I think Canadians would buy them. Nobody wants to pay these silly prices for EVs. It's incredible what you can buy for little or no money in China. I would like it if VW, with its government subsidies of over 40 billion, would produce cars like this. The plant is only going to cost around 9 billion, pocketing 31 billion in corporate benefits for VW, while the government here in Ontario, is making cuts right, left, and center. VW made $299.5 billion. You'd think some of that money should be passed on to subsidize VW for the masses here in Canada, like the Chinese have done, and why there is such an increase. because it's out taxes that are paying for this, we should see some benefits don't you think?

Considering their hefty weight relative to their size would any of these pass car crash standards and in particular the small overlap?  Perhaps they need to be classified as motorcycles and owners accept the risks?

20 CHEAP Electric Cars

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4GOzd3CwXA  <--Look how cheap  they are. This is what America needs to start to do.

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile
« Reply #5174 on: April 14, 2024, 12:44:36 pm »

Considering their hefty weight relative to their size would any of these pass car crash standards and in particular the small overlap?  Perhaps they need to be classified as motorcycles and owners accept the risks?

BYD is heavily moving into Europe and must be complainant with EU safety standards for their vehicles. Citroën produces the Ami, which people use on UK roads. Can't be any worst than what the Chinese are making. I can't imagine what would be left after a crash, but I do agree that if they are treated as limited-speed vehicles, they might be okay. Many on that list would be fine. Not all Chinese-made cars are pants

https://www.businessinsider.com/ev-electric-vehicle-china-brands-byd-nio-wuling-zeekr-geely-2023-5#5-xpeng-has-ambitions-to-deliver-half-of-the-vehicles-it-produces-to-countries-outside-china-6

Citroen Ami

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=977cZO0qXEs

This MG4 EV made by SAIC Motors is decent and would sell for around $42 Cad. The Chinese can make an OK product.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSA3XL8XDC8

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5175 on: April 15, 2024, 10:16:46 am »
I drove a Tesla Model Y last week. Full disclosure, I am on a waitlist for a Prius Prime.

The Tesla drove well enough, but literally here in Vancouver area, every 3rd or 4th car is a Tesla. Paying that much for a car that literally everyone else drives would annoy me.

Anyways, the car felt okay but I am sure build quality is not what is expected at this price range. One reviewer had mentioned that the interior was put together with adhesive glue. The depreciation is the real kicker though. Paying that much for a car that retains so little pretty much says to me that the car is more or less disposable after xx number of years.

Also, the Tesla fanboy cultism would drive me off the wall.

Offline bye

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +315/-525
    • View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: April 15, 2024, 09:13:48 pm »
I drove a Tesla Model Y last week. Full disclosure, I am on a waitlist for a Prius Prime.

We have a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq which is a great commuter if you're looking for a Prius level of vehicle.
Paid $17K used.   Fantastic cheap and cheery car for 100 km daily commute.

Model Y is a big big step up from a Prius in terms of performance, tech, storage, towing capacity.  Personally, I wouldn't even consider the Model Y, we have a Model S which we love, but I'm not into driving what everyone else is driving.  Owned Smart Electric, Ioniq, Model S and now Ford F150 Lightning, all of which are rare on the roads.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #5177 on: April 15, 2024, 11:40:58 pm »

We have a 2017 Hyundai Ioniq which is a great commuter if you're looking for a Prius level of vehicle.
Paid $17K used.   Fantastic cheap and cheery car for 100 km daily commute.

Model Y is a big big step up from a Prius in terms of performance, tech, storage, towing capacity.  Personally, I wouldn't even consider the Model Y, we have a Model S which we love, but I'm not into driving what everyone else is driving.  Owned Smart Electric, Ioniq, Model S and now Ford F150 Lightning, all of which are rare on the roads.

I barely leave the house & every time I do, I see an F150 Lightning here in Ottawa... not sure what you're going on about it being rare :think:  Model S is more rare here, Model 3, everywhere :hurl: had one chasing me onto the hwy a while back... kept up with my SLK, quick, but certainly no symphony of a NA hand-built V8. And the Ioniq's are all over the place too. What was insane was a modified Jeep Trackhawk, he was getting on the same onramp early one morning & the hwy was empty, he slowed down so I was right on his bumper with the SLK & then he let it eat, it squatted down & took off... I didn't even TRY to keep up, wasn't gonna happen.

Sent from my SM-S901W using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: April 16, 2024, 02:50:10 am »