Author Topic: Electric Vehicle News Thread  (Read 811040 times)

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Electric Vehicle News Thread
« Reply #5100 on: March 21, 2024, 01:34:18 pm »

Even CBC, the Government's mouthpiece, says that EV sales are slowing. Trouble in paradise!!

This isn't quite right. According to the article EV sales are still growing, just the rate of increase is dropping. Which makes sense because there's only so many early adopters out there.  And given the cost, a large part of the market can't afford them.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #5101 on: March 21, 2024, 02:22:15 pm »
Plenty of EV’s in Kelowna, but dealers lots have no shortage of them sitting collecting dust either. The Ford dealership was running Lightning’s as service loaners for quite awhile (may still be). When I worked for Kar Global I’d get the facts from dealership managers. Either people buy them and love them, or trade them back after a short time and go back to gas/hybrid. EV’s aren’t for everyone and never will be.

A EV truck company has started here in BC. Called the Edison. Similar to a diesel electric locomotive. The diesel engine acts as a range extender. I wish them luck, think they have a decent idea.

http://edisonmotors.ca/

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: March 21, 2024, 04:26:35 pm »
Biden doubling down on EVs. People just can't admit they are wrong.  ;D
Yep.

The same people who say they are "pro-science"....ignore science (data) when it doesn't jibe with their political agenda....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +171/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5103 on: March 21, 2024, 05:34:59 pm »
An EV9 and Ioniq6 appeared in the 'hood. The EV9 replaced a previous-gen Sequoia (the only one I ever saw), the Ioniq6 a MINI 3-door. Haven't done the math but we're way above the 20% provincial market share for EV's in our little residential cluster. The Kona EV I have this week is helping  ;D

Gotta say it feels good to be in a dead-silent full EV again. No ICE car is so linear between "go pedal" and the drivetrain. I will have to remember to use the brake pedal when I pick-up the Crosstrek next Monday...
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5104 on: March 21, 2024, 06:06:50 pm »

. No ICE car is so linear between "go pedal" and the drivetrain.

Agreed.

The trade off is driving a vehicle that's as close to a boring, character-less appliance as can be.

Too big a trade off for me!

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #5105 on: March 21, 2024, 06:25:25 pm »
 :iagree:

Offline Guy

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +481/-1240
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Mustang Mach-E Premium, 2019 Volvo XC40 Momentum
« Reply #5106 on: March 22, 2024, 08:16:14 am »

. No ICE car is so linear between "go pedal" and the drivetrain.

Agreed.

The trade off is driving a vehicle that's as close to a boring, character-less appliance as can be.

Too big a trade off for me!

To each his own I guess. I'm pretty sure my Mach-E, is less boring to drive than a Prius; but then that's just me..  ;)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5107 on: March 22, 2024, 11:30:56 am »
An EV9 and Ioniq6 appeared in the 'hood. The EV9 replaced a previous-gen Sequoia (the only one I ever saw), the Ioniq6 a MINI 3-door. Haven't done the math but we're way above the 20% provincial market share for EV's in our little residential cluster. The Kona EV I have this week is helping  ;D

Gotta say it feels good to be in a dead-silent full EV again. No ICE car is so linear between "go pedal" and the drivetrain. I will have to remember to use the brake pedal when I pick-up the Crosstrek next Monday...

You have less than 9 cars in your residential cluster? Between me and my neighbour we almost have that lol.I would say in the 100 or so cars living within earshot of me we have one Tesla. Three Ridgelines and two G wagons though!

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #5108 on: March 22, 2024, 12:48:24 pm »

You have less than 9 cars in your residential cluster? Between me and my neighbour we almost have that lol.I would say in the 100 or so cars living within earshot of me we have one Tesla. Three Ridgelines and two G wagons though!
This exchange illustrates perfectly why consumers need choice. Those convinced of the virtues of EVs can buy them of their own free will. Others who are not convinced should not have EVs force fed down their throat via government diktats and mandates and threats of banning ICE vehicles. The market is the most efficient allocator of capital, not Governments. The last major Government that tried central control of the economy by setting production targets led it's country into financial ruin and insolvency i.e. the USSR.

Also, as one of the links I posted earlier stated, motor vehicle CO2 emissions constitute only 11% of total CO2 emission globally, and of that 11%, only 7% is emitted by private automobiles and for hire small vehicles. The rest is commercial transport. But politicians like to zero in on this 7% because it is easy to understand and benefits them via virtue signaling wedge politics of pitting groups against each other. But trying to figure out how to reduce the CO2 emissions from giant sea going ships or industrial processes or power plants that collectively churn significantly more CO2 vs private autos is beyond their intellectual capacity and is consequently ignored.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5109 on: March 22, 2024, 01:01:28 pm »
trying to figure out how to reduce the CO2 emissions from giant sea going ships or industrial processes or power plants that collectively churn significantly more CO2 vs private autos is beyond their intellectual capacity and is consequently ignored.

In Alberta anyway, big industrial facilities have been facing increasingly tough CO2 emission reduction legislation since 2007. Similar carrot and stick, incentives for adopting practices that reduce emissions combined with carbon tax type penalties for emitting

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5110 on: March 22, 2024, 01:19:53 pm »
trying to figure out how to reduce the CO2 emissions from giant sea going ships or industrial processes or power plants that collectively churn significantly more CO2 vs private autos is beyond their intellectual capacity and is consequently ignored.

In Alberta anyway, big industrial facilities have been facing increasingly tough CO2 emission reduction legislation since 2007. Similar carrot and stick, incentives for adopting practices that reduce emissions combined with carbon tax type penalties for emitting

I meant ignored in the public debate and the almost frenetic attacks on ICE vehicles and the threat of banning them. Germany shut down it's nuke power plants and tried to rely on solar & wind at the same time that natural gas from Russia was stopped and the impact on Germany industry has been catastrophic with high energy costs making it impractical for certain manufacturing processes to be done in Germany. BASF is shutting down some of it's German chemical plants though I am sure that they will expand and set up manufacturing outside the EU and North America. So on a net basis there will be very little change. Sure, better emission control measures are to be praised irrespective of industry. The auto industry has been exemplary in that respect, consider total pollutants from a car circa 1960 and a vehicle produced in 2024. To up end an entire sector for that last 1% of pollutants is insanity, not to mention that the total environmental damage for EV battery production has not been quantified, let alone for disposing off those giant lithium ion batteries!!

The quote below from a US EPA report:

https://www.epa.gov/transportation-air-pollution-and-climate-change/accomplishments-and-successes-reducing-air

New passenger vehicles are 98-99% cleaner for most tailpipe pollutants compared to the 1960s.
Fuels are much cleaner—lead has been eliminated, and sulfur levels are more than 90% lower than they were prior to regulation.
U.S. cities have much improved air quality, despite ever increasing population and increasing vehicle miles traveled.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: March 22, 2024, 01:32:10 pm »
It's well known that cars now reduce vastly less air pollution.  This only happened because governments enacted legislation and forced manufacturers to comply. 

Unfortunately this did not include a reduction of CO2 (outside of efficiency gains).

I find it strange that you are seemingly ok with governments legislating cleaner tailpipe emissions but not with reducing CO2 emissions, which are a larger issue.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: March 22, 2024, 11:58:45 pm »

I find it strange that you are seemingly ok with governments legislating cleaner tailpipe emissions but not with reducing CO2 emissions, which are a larger issue.

It's not strange at all. Personal cars are the target of assorted greenie groups and similarly inclined Governments who find it easy to target cars ( for reasons stated in my earlier post) when they actually cause a small percentage of CO2 emissions when in fact if they want to target CO2, it would make sense to target far fewer but much larger industrial emitters e.g. Each coal fired plant produces 6.3 million tons of CO2 per 1000 MW installed capacity, assuming 80% capacity utilization. China alone has 981Giga Watts of coal fired installed capacity. That means China emits 6.2 billion tons of CO2 from it's coal fired plants alone. And in 2023 China approved the construction of an additional 114 Giga Watts of coal fired plants. In contrast the global fleet of automobiles is 1.47 billion, each of which produces an average of 4.6 tons of CO2 per year. That equates to 6.75 billion tons of CO2 annually. And the kicker is that of those 1.47 billion cars, 415 million are in China!! So besides the 6.2 billion tons of CO2 which China's coal fired plants emit, Chinese cars emit close to another 2 billion tons of CO2!! So tell me, what good will Canada to beggaring itself by banning all 26 million ICE vehicles on it's road which collectively emit 120 million tons of CO2 annually when China is emitting 8000 million tons. Will it make any dent in world emissions?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2024, 12:01:12 am by warp »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #5113 on: March 23, 2024, 10:33:35 am »

It's not strange at all. Personal cars are the target of assorted greenie groups and similarly inclined Governments who find it easy to target cars ( for reasons stated in my earlier post) when they actually cause a small percentage of CO2 emissions when in fact if they want to target CO2, it would make sense to target far fewer but much larger industrial emitters e.g. Each coal fired plant produces 6.3 million tons of CO2 per 1000 MW installed capacity, assuming 80% capacity utilization. China alone has 981Giga Watts of coal fired installed capacity. That means China emits 6.2 billion tons of CO2 from it's coal fired plants alone. And in 2023 China approved the construction of an additional 114 Giga Watts of coal fired plants. In contrast the global fleet of automobiles is 1.47 billion, each of which produces an average of 4.6 tons of CO2 per year. That equates to 6.75 billion tons of CO2 annually. And the kicker is that of those 1.47 billion cars, 415 million are in China!! So besides the 6.2 billion tons of CO2 which China's coal fired plants emit, Chinese cars emit close to another 2 billion tons of CO2!! So tell me, what good will Canada to beggaring itself by banning all 26 million ICE vehicles on it's road which collectively emit 120 million tons of CO2 annually when China is emitting 8000 million tons. Will it make any dent in world emissions?

Stop asking questions.  ;D  Paying more taxes will help change the weather.. Meanwhile the  latest story is that federal government spending is growing twice the pace of revenue. The Beast must be paid.. Nice situation we have left our children.

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/canada-government-spending-growing-twice-the-pace-of-revenue-1.2050513

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Offline revalations

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-330
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Chrysler Lebaron
« Reply #5118 on: March 28, 2024, 06:31:14 pm »
^^^ And become just as obsolete and disposable......

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: March 30, 2024, 11:41:35 pm »
Even by the sputtering sales environment for EVs right now this is a new low :o It's a Ford dealership in Ebensburg, Pennsylvania and the listing is current.