Author Topic: Winter Tire Review: Continental Extreme Winter Contact  (Read 11767 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile
Winter Tire Review: Continental Extreme Winter Contact
« on: December 19, 2014, 06:26:17 am »

Do Continental Extreme Winter Contact winter tires live up to their name?
Read More...

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
Re: Winter Tire Review: Continental Extreme Winter Contact
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 09:05:47 am »
Got this off the APA site regarding Continental ExtremeWinterContact (SUV Variant). Have been researching these winter SUV tires for wifes Jeep WK2. Point here is that the tires do vary per application car vs truck. Research specific usage.

Very Good:

"Larger size of the passenger car tire that carries the same name. Continental’s SUV and crossover tire with the best traction. Competent on cleared roads; it  shares many of the characteristcs of the Michelin X-Ice Xi2, and is often a good lower-priced alternative. Unlike the smaller passenger car sizes, this tire does not always offer a price advantage in larger SUV sizes. Assymmetrical tread favours good handling on dry pavement. Like other tires with asymmetrical tread patterns, some inside wear may occur on four-wheel-drive vehicles. Possibly in its last year on the market before a redesign or replacement."

http://www.apa.ca/WinterTires2014-SUVs.asp

« Last Edit: December 19, 2014, 09:08:49 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline hightech

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 10:21:01 am »
I am not sure why the writer was posting a link to a tirerack test that dates back to 2009!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=122

The more updated links are as follows:

Nov 15, 2013:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=180

Spider Chart:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=180

Snow/Ice Results:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=180

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 10:56:06 am »
I've only experienced these recently (i.e. last week) in a major snowfall (20cm overnight).  Of the 6 cars driven that day, 5 had winter tires, and one car in particular had these tires affixed.

Whether it was the car or the tires, I was thoroughly unimpressed.  Certainly better than the all-seasons, but in no way during a deep snow drive did I find these to be even remotely on par with the Dunlops or Goodyears.  I don't recall the other brands, but I didn't have Michelin or Bridgestones to compare that day.  I did have Yokohama iG51vs, but same thing - on an AWD SUV.

They aren't bad tires, but I wouldn't put them as "up there with the best".  Definitely a 'good' tire, but not a 'great' tire.

If you rarely get major snow/ice, then it's a better buy than Bridgestones, but I'd think the X-Ice do it better.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2014, 03:57:50 pm »
^^ I assume all the tires were close to equal in terms of age and tread wear? If so, I'd probably chalk up the difference to the car they were mounted on. That's the nice thing about those TireRack tests: they use a bunch of identical cars.

I just replaced my EWCs after 4 winters and 40,000kms on the GTI. I thought they were very good overall, but not as good as my new WS80s (especially in dry handling/stability at highway speeds.) Of course, the EWC is a five-year-old (maybe more?) design now, and the Blizzaks are brand new. Will be interesting to see what the next-gen EWC is like (I'm betting it will have an H speed rating like the Blizzaks and Xi3s)

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2014, 04:14:13 pm »
I've only experienced these recently (i.e. last week) in a major snowfall (20cm overnight).  Of the 6 cars driven that day, 5 had winter tires, and one car in particular had these tires affixed.

Whether it was the car or the tires, I was thoroughly unimpressed.  Certainly better than the all-seasons, but in no way during a deep snow drive did I find these to be even remotely on par with the Dunlops or Goodyears.  I don't recall the other brands, but I didn't have Michelin or Bridgestones to compare that day.  I did have Yokohama iG51vs, but same thing - on an AWD SUV.

They aren't bad tires, but I wouldn't put them as "up there with the best".  Definitely a 'good' tire, but not a 'great' tire.

If you rarely get major snow/ice, then it's a better buy than Bridgestones, but I'd think the X-Ice do it better.

I don't think those were the "Extreme" Winter Contact - the Extreme Winter Contact are on the Golf long-termer i have now, so I look forward to testing these as well in a bit of bad weather.
Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
                                                        –Walt Whitman

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2014, 05:30:09 pm »
I don't think those were the "Extreme" Winter Contact - the Extreme Winter Contact are on the Golf long-termer i have now, so I look forward to testing these as well in a bit of bad weather.
C'est possible...did you take pics of the tires so that we may find out which ones were kinda not great?  :P

Offline ALin

• Administrator
  • Carma: +16/-24
  • WordPress Goon
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 1996 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2014, 07:19:07 pm »
I am not sure why the writer was posting a link to a tirerack test that dates back to 2009!

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=122

The more updated links are as follows:

Nov 15, 2013:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=180

Spider Chart:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/spiderChart.jsp?ttid=180

Snow/Ice Results:  http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/chartDisplay.jsp?ttid=180

Thanks for the heads up! I've updated the story with the new link.

Offline jyarkony

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +119/-153
    • View Profile
    • Autos.ca
  • Cars: 2003 VW Jetta Wagon 1.8T; 2001 VW GTI VR6
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 04:27:37 pm »
C'est possible...did you take pics of the tires so that we may find out which ones were kinda not great?  :P

Jeff was taking the exteriors, but they'll all be up tomorrow... Might need to ask him to recheck the original files as it is sometimes hard to discern tire brand in the wider photos.

Offline MD53

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Kia Forte sedan 2010
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 09:45:41 am »
I have owned a set of Continental Extreme Winter Contact tires now since I bought my then brand new 2010 Kia Forte EX sedan five years ago. I live in Montreal and I use my car for work as well as for normal family needs. I installed them on 15 in. steel wheels in order to avoid taking them on and off the mags every year. I always install my winter tires on my car mid-November and I switch back to the 4 seasons tires mid-April every year. I'm very satisfied with the traction, braking, turning and acceleration with these on. I have always been in control in every driving condition with these on. They have proven to be the best winter tires I've owned so far and I've been driving since 1974. This set is now on its last winter season (6th winter). They are still performing very well. I plan on changing them before next winter season due to normal wear. I have found them to be very quiet as well. They have offered very good value in light of the price I paid and the quality they have delivered over the ownership period. I am eager to see what improvements Continental will bring to this tire when it introduces the new version in 2015. I will definitely consider buying another set of Continental Extreme Winter Contact before next winter.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 09:24:43 am »
On sheer ice (at many intersections here, where cars seem to have buffed the ice to a dangerous lustre) the Continentals tires meet their match. Little bite when stopping and starting on this surface means very slow approaches and departures are required, along with focus and anticipation from the driver.
Yeah, that concerns me.

To be honest, and they're now 5 years old (though still have 9/32" of tread), I'm really not impressed with the Michelin X-Ice Xi2s on the Corolla.  They REALLY suck in snow and slush, and yesterday's snowfall highlighted how poor they really are.

I still would not go for the Continentals solely on the basis that they said "yeah, asymmetrical is better, but we thought people are stupid and would think it's an all-season tire if it wasn't all knobby n' sich", I would not buy these tires.  This article further suggests that ice performance suffers.

I would stick to the Bridgestones, or if I'm looking to save some $, would get the Yokohamas, Dunlops, or Nittos.  I really am not seeing the real-world performance of the Michelin winter tires that everyone is raving about.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 10:04:07 am »
Interesting you're so critical of the X Ice... My aunt/uncle who live in Burlington swear by them due to Consumer reports, etc... and their biggest argument for them is that he can use them for 6 years  ::).
I guess for GTA mild winters it may be good enough though.

The Blizzaks are generally what, $200 cheaper a set? So if they last one year less, they don't actually work out a whole lot more expensive. I find the traction amazing, so that's likely what we'll go with for the Odyssey.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 11:45:13 am »
Interesting you're so critical of the X Ice... My aunt/uncle who live in Burlington swear by them due to Consumer reports, etc... and their biggest argument for them is that he can use them for 6 years  ::).

The Blizzaks are generally what, $200 cheaper a set? So if they last one year less, they don't actually work out a whole lot more expensive. I find the traction amazing, so that's likely what we'll go with for the Odyssey.
I think age is relative...My Forester is on Blizzak WS70s going on 4 years.  They, have 10/32" left despite similar mileage to the Corolla.  What's worse, Lady Noto's schedule meant that the WS70s didn't come off until mid-May some years, and always go on after Halloween (the Corolla's changeovers are much less conservative, usually mid-December until mid-March).

While I can use the Xi2s until 4/32" instead of 6/32" on the Blizzaks, I would opine that the 4/32" Xi2s aren't as useful as Michelin would have you believe.  Potentially still better on sheer ice, but absolute sh!t in any amount of snow.

...and I live and work in the GTA and can tell you that they are not 'sufficient' for 'mild' GTA winters.  Since when is being consistently below -10'C (closer to -20 these past 2 winters) 'mild' any way?

I don't think the Blizzaks are cheaper at all compared to Michelin's offerings, but IMO, I'd rather have a better tire that I have to replace more often than one that I can eke another season or two of sh!t traction out of.

Again, I have not tried the Xi3s, and I'm sure they're better, but I am so thoroughly unimpressed with the Xi2s that I don't want to take another 5+ season 'risk' (or sell at a loss after being unimpressed for a season).

Working in personal injury makes you really not care so much about saving a few bucks at the expense of traction...sorry if my opinion is biased in that respect (note the sarcasm, I'm not actually sorry).

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 02:21:02 pm »

I think age is relative...My Forester is on Blizzak WS70s going on 4 years.  They, have 10/32" left despite similar mileage to the Corolla.  What's worse, Lady Noto's schedule meant that the WS70s didn't come off until mid-May some years, and always go on after Halloween (the Corolla's changeovers are much less conservative, usually mid-December until mid-March).

While I can use the Xi2s until 4/32" instead of 6/32" on the Blizzaks, I would opine that the 4/32" Xi2s aren't as useful as Michelin would have you believe.  Potentially still better on sheer ice, but absolute sh!t in any amount of snow.

...and I live and work in the GTA and can tell you that they are not 'sufficient' for 'mild' GTA winters.  Since when is being consistently below -10'C (closer to -20 these past 2 winters) 'mild' any way?

I don't think the Blizzaks are cheaper at all compared to Michelin's offerings, but IMO, I'd rather have a better tire that I have to replace more often than one that I can eke another season or two of sh!t traction out of.

Again, I have not tried the Xi3s, and I'm sure they're better, but I am so thoroughly unimpressed with the Xi2s that I don't want to take another 5+ season 'risk' (or sell at a loss after being unimpressed for a season).

Working in personal injury makes you really not care so much about saving a few bucks at the expense of traction...sorry if my opinion is biased in that respect (note the sarcasm, I'm not actually sorry).

Xi3 is definitely way better than Xi2s.  However, the Blizzak WS80s are pretty awesome.  I have them on my Odyssey and have had no issue with them.  Even after freezing rain, I was able to come to a stop on the incline out of the parking lot at work and then progress forward with some initial wheelspin.

GTA is mild weathered compared to Edmonton.

The other thing I found is the car also makes a big difference in winter driving.  I put on the best of the best winter tires on my Protege, but my mom's old 97 Taurus wagon had an easier time moving than my Protege.  I even tried narrower tires on the Protege.  Might have something to do with vehicle weight / wheelbase.  I'd almost venture to guess it's the same thing on your Corolla.  Heck, my dad's RWD E-Class has an easier time than my Protege did.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 02:23:49 pm by mixmanmash »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 02:23:03 pm »
...and Edmonton has a mild winter next to Verkhoyansk, Russia.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2015, 05:51:38 pm »
...and Edmonton has a mild winter next to Verkhoyansk, Russia.

I'm comparing GTA to this: http://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=49320.msg1079938#msg1079938 :P.

More seriously, the annual snowfall is about half what we see here in NB. So the number of days you really need that deep snow traction is smaller. The rest of the time, roads are plowed and there is no notable difference in starting. I'm not sure how the michelins and bridgestones compare in terms of stopping distance.  I'm not arguing against the WS80s, in fact I'm a HUGE fan, and in fact the service manager at Ford, when I took him out with me to diagnose an issue, remarked on how nice the tires handled. I was more ridiculing the idea that one extra year of use is worth risking the safety aspect. HOWEVER, Burlington is rather flat (compared to Fredericton), and their commutes are tiny, so Xice is probably fine, and definitely better than all seasons.

Offline PeterL

• Noob
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Impala
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 02:11:08 pm »
My experience with the Continental EWC tires is similar to MD53. This was the first winter tires I ever purchased. I bought them for my wife's '04 Impala base model in Nov. 2010. I live in LaSalle, Ont. which is adjacent to Windsor. We're not noted for severe winters, although the last couple of years have been much colder than the previous 15 years that I have lived here. We do travel up north to Sudbury or Timmins during the winter months. They are on from mid-November until mid-April. This is the 5th winter with them and she has put over 40,000 km on them. Last Nov. the tread depth was 8/32. They have performed well on my wife's car. I bought a used '13 Impala LT for myself last Jan. but fitted 16" Michelin X-Ice Xi3 tires on that car for the winter and drove it to Timmins for Christmas without any problems putting 2,289 km. on the trip. I had heard that new updated Continental tires to replace the EWC will be available this year.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 09:01:52 am »

Jeff was taking the exteriors, but they'll all be up tomorrow... Might need to ask him to recheck the original files as it is sometimes hard to discern tire brand in the wider photos.

If you're talking about the Cooper tires review, sorry, I didn't photograph the "control" tires.  In the BMW test they were Continental WinterContacts -- not the Extremes.  I noticed this in particular because I had the Extremes on my 335i and always thought they were pretty decent -- never had any issue with them. 

In the Tahoe test, the dedicated snow was a Firestone (believe a Winterforce LT, but I'm waiting to hear back from the event organizers for confirmation).

There was no control / competitor tire in the Jeep Grand Cherokee test. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 09:09:05 am by DriverJeff »
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla