Author Topic: Sensation seeking behaviour and risk tolerance  (Read 15000 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: Sensation seeking behaviour and risk tolerance
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2014, 11:15:16 pm »
I looked at that test and because I love IQ so immensely and I'm enjoying our life together so much, I answer it WAY differently now than I would have just a few years ago.....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2014, 11:38:26 pm »
This prompted me to go looking around the web for more info.
And there was a test. And I'm egocentric, so I took it.   :rofl2:

http://testyourself.psychtests.com/testid/2122

98% - and I'm surprised as so many of the questions were centered around work life.  For myself and many of my friends, we tend to be very laid back and "coasting" when at home - even so-called risky behaviour at home seems inconsequential and unworthy of getting concerned over.  Money, jobs, etc, tend not to exert a lot of stress as we compare those activities with the instantaneous life/death decisions made in the mountains.

My wife wrote an article about being a non-climber married to a climber, and while she had some pretty negative things to say (stressing over absences, fear of loss, etc) one of the positives was how we tend to be very stress free when home thanks to seeing day to day life in a different light compared to many people.

Negatives:

Lots of dead friends
Could die young
Gone from home
If at home for a period, becomes restless and irritated at not getting out
Can't go on "normal" vacations
Tends to not think long term
Has to stop a lot when driving in the mountains to scope peaks

Positives:

A culture of adventure permeates the family
Super focused on fitness (no pot bellies here)
Relaxed home life - not much stresses out climbers when they're home
Confident
Lack of respect for money - cares not a bit about how much money people have or don't have

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2014, 11:48:06 pm »
one of the positives was how we tend to be very stress free when home thanks to seeing day to day life in a different light compared to many people.

IQ has many times said the same about me.  I rarely get stressed out at home...or even work.  Not sure if that's because I like fast, dangerous activities though?

Offline normancw

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +125/-132
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:47 am »
I used to do stupid dangerous things when I was young (until early 20s), but for the fun/thrill - not because they were dangerous.  At the time, I actually didn't think I was taking big risks - I thought I was invincible!  Once I graduated and got a job, I had less time to do these things and over time lost my nerve. 

I still do things that I find thrilling, but only within my skill level and where the risk of dying or seriously hurting myself is low.  I fight at karate tournaments.  I find it very exciting and challenging.  There's small element of danger (I've had broken ribs, got knocked out and a suffered a concussion from a spinning back kick to the head), but the likelihood of getting killed or paralyzed are extremely low.

I also was going to ask if the test was for physical risk or risk in general. I'm probably 4-5 on the physical risk scale but 9+ on business/career. I'm amazed how a couple of my fearless pilot/motocross racing buddies become weak-kneed about career/job security/business issues.

I'm similar.  I have taken calculated risks starting and investing in startup companies (in one I lost over 6 figures, in another I gained over 7). 
Don't fight it.  The sooner you get it the better.
― rrocket

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2014, 06:38:59 am »
67%

According to your results, you are a sensation seeker. Sensation-seeking can take the form of searching out harmless yet invigorating stimuli such as art or music, or traveling to an exotic locale. It can also refer to more dangerous risks, intended to achieve an adrenaline rush. You seek out new experiences, and may become bored by repetitive, routine tasks. While you enjoy the thrill of risk-taking, your behavior is rarely extreme or reckless.

Northernridge

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2014, 10:53:16 am »
65%

I'm beginning to think that sensation-seeking and risk taking are different things. In business and investing I don't have 'sensation seeking' feelings. I have outcome/opportunity thoughts and relative indifference to the risks – I don't get much of a 'high' from risk taking at work...more like an absence of fear and expectation of success. When it comes to physical activities, especially back in my younger days, I definitely have 'sensation seeking' feelings (exciting, heart pumping, 'holy fack, did you see that?!' notions. The test also raked across lawful/unlawful behaviour. I don't think too much about risk when it comes to the law. I more inclined to make decisions by my own sense of what's right and wrong...with a dose of irreverence and indifference to what the rules are and what others think. When it comes to speeding, I'm most likely to think about whether or not I'll get caught than risk or right/wrong.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +92/-128
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Taco
« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2014, 11:15:22 am »
It's not about standing on top.  Sure, that's cool, but it's the physical and mental game of climbing that is the thing.  The more difficult and dangerous the route it ramps up both the mental and physical challenge.

The more involved the peak, the more appeal it has.

this is really interesting John!
I remember the first hike up a mountain I did.... the feeling of being at top was this feeling of being alive.
It was no techincal climb like you do and anyone could do it.  I've love to get into that kind of stuff and I'd look at it as.. "I want to climb that"   and want to see the world from the top.

A lot of the movies I watch, it's always a focus on being at the top.  Many climbers are looked at as people checking another mountain off the list.  (movies are a bad example though)

I feel the same way mountain biking.  The more technical the trail the more I want to try and do it.
The more I feel it calling me.   It's pushing myself into new areas and that's what gets me going more than anything.    That's what you climb for, not the top, not another one for the books.  it's a personal challenge which gives you the rush.

this leads again to trying to classify risk and the reasons why some people do certain things.

Northernridge

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2014, 11:22:56 am »
Another angle (me thinks) of outdoor adventure is tolerance levels for harsh conditions. I've usually found that I have a higher tolerance to cold, wet and miserably conditions than the guys I've been hunting, snowmobiling, etc. with (not heat though, that kills me). I tend to feel great physically and emotionally as conditions erode while my pals want to go home. This doesn't have much to do with risk taking I suppose but it seems adjacent.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2014, 11:41:05 am »
huh...I scored 41..

You scored in the mid-range in sensation-seeking. You need a moderate level of excitement and stimulation - not too little, not too much. You could probably handle both new situations and monotony, although neither extreme is ideal for you. Your moderate need for stimulation makes you a versatile employee.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2014, 11:49:13 am »

Sensation-seekers thrive on new, intense, and varied situations. Their personalities are associated with risk-taking because sensation-seeking drives individuals to seek out highly stimulating experiences, which often include risk.
According to your results, you are very much a sensation-seeker.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #50 on: December 19, 2014, 11:55:57 am »
Many climbers are looked at as people checking another mountain off the list.  (movies are a bad example though)

There are lots of "bucket list" people around.  There is a guiding company that operates a three day course/climb at the Columbia Icefields area.  It includes two days of basic training and an attempt on Mt. Athabasca (or other nearby peak) on day three.  The vast majority of people taking this program are there to check off "climbed a mountain" from their list.  For them, the summit is paramount.

I was four years old - what a pivotal summer for me!  First, we backpacked into the Tonquin Valley - 30km each way, what a monster trip for my little legs.  I stood at the base of The Ramparts and could barely believe my eyes.  What a magical place.  Then we car toured to the Columbia Icefields area to see the glaciers and the massive peaks of that area.  I couldn't believe the shape of Mt. Athabasca!  Then my dad pointed out a group of climbers descending the north side of the peak, and OMG - they'd stood on top.  Wow.

I knew that I wanted to climb that peak.  I learned the history of the mountain and found out that not only was it gorgeous to look at, but had a special place in the history of the Rockies - being the first peak that humans (known) had viewed the vast expanse of the Columbia Icefields.  Now I wanted to retrace the steps of Woolley and Collie!

So, in the beginning, climbing for me was about the summit, and the allure of the "top."  But, after gaining some skills, I realized that the game of the climb was the part that I desired the most.  The was an odd process...

I'd be terrified on the climb, maybe from the exposure (air under your boots) or other hazards (seracs the size of school buses crashing by) and on the descent I'd think "if I live through this, I'm selling all my gear and never, ever, doing this again!"

On the way home, we'd stop for food, and I'd be eager to plan our next climb.  I couldn't wait to feel that fear again, to control it, and feel that something inside me that allowed me to dig deep despite the difficulties.

Northernridge

« Reply #51 on: December 19, 2014, 11:57:49 am »
^I don't get bucket list people.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 19, 2014, 12:01:00 pm »
Another angle (me thinks) of outdoor adventure is tolerance levels for harsh conditions. I've usually found that I have a higher tolerance to cold, wet and miserably conditions

You might enjoy mountaineering.  Operating in horrible weather and difficult conditions is a big part of it.  Descending the Robson Glacier in a white-out blizzard electrical storm with my ice ax humming and crackling with 10cm/hour snow pounding down was, uh memorable...

Northernridge

« Reply #53 on: December 19, 2014, 12:07:11 pm »
Another angle (me thinks) of outdoor adventure is tolerance levels for harsh conditions. I've usually found that I have a higher tolerance to cold, wet and miserably conditions

You might enjoy mountaineering.  Operating in horrible weather and difficult conditions is a big part of it.  Descending the Robson Glacier in a white-out blizzard electrical storm with my ice ax humming and crackling with 10cm/hour snow pounding down was, uh memorable...

In principal maybe. But I could only watch in wonder as you risk-takers scale vertical things.

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #54 on: December 19, 2014, 12:09:35 pm »

I know that I would enjoy that.

Northernridge

« Reply #55 on: December 19, 2014, 12:13:33 pm »

Ever shoot a moose in the backcountry in shite conditions (cold, wet, muskeg, etc) and have to pack it out with your buddies? That's one reference point for me.

Offline blotter

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 19, 2014, 12:15:49 pm »
Many climbers are looked at as people checking another mountain off the list.  (movies are a bad example though)

There are lots of "bucket list" people around.  There is a guiding company that operates a three day course/climb at the Columbia Icefields area.  It includes two days of basic training and an attempt on Mt. Athabasca (or other nearby peak) on day three.  The vast majority of people taking this program are there to check off "climbed a mountain" from their list.  For them, the summit is paramount.

I was four years old - what a pivotal summer for me!  First, we backpacked into the Tonquin Valley - 30km each way, what a monster trip for my little legs.  I stood at the base of The Ramparts and could barely believe my eyes.  What a magical place.  Then we car toured to the Columbia Icefields area to see the glaciers and the massive peaks of that area.  I couldn't believe the shape of Mt. Athabasca!  Then my dad pointed out a group of climbers descending the north side of the peak, and OMG - they'd stood on top.  Wow.

I knew that I wanted to climb that peak.  I learned the history of the mountain and found out that not only was it gorgeous to look at, but had a special place in the history of the Rockies - being the first peak that humans (known) had viewed the vast expanse of the Columbia Icefields.  Now I wanted to retrace the steps of Woolley and Collie!

So, in the beginning, climbing for me was about the summit, and the allure of the "top."  But, after gaining some skills, I realized that the game of the climb was the part that I desired the most.  The was an odd process...

I'd be terrified on the climb, maybe from the exposure (air under your boots) or other hazards (seracs the size of school buses crashing by) and on the descent I'd think "if I live through this, I'm selling all my gear and never, ever, doing this again!"

On the way home, we'd stop for food, and I'd be eager to plan our next climb.  I couldn't wait to feel that fear again, to control it, and feel that something inside me that allowed me to dig deep despite the difficulties.

those are special reasons to get yourself to the top.
when we went out West, I was just hoping to hike to the base.  So much to do and so little time.
growing up pretty much outside and outdoors, I can only dream of what it's like being born and growing up where you are John.   I try monthly to get my wife to jump on the idea of just picking up and moving. 

Anytime I'm showing pictures from magazine or stories about climbing.........she thinks I'm crazy.
She loved hiking out West (or East) as much as I did, but add snow, ice, crampons, ropes and she's out.
She's always saying, isn't mountain biking enough for you?

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 19, 2014, 12:19:30 pm »
Kelly Cordes wrote this blog entry back in 2009, and it spread like wildfire through the climbing community.  We now use the fun scale nearly universally.  The Type II Fun description is SO perfect!!

http://kellycordes.com/2009/11/02/the-fun-scale/

Type I Fun – true fun, enjoyable while it’s happening. Good food, good sex, 5.8 hand cracks, sport climbing, powder skiing. Margaritas.

Type II Fun – fun only in retrospect, hateful while it’s happening. Things like working out ‘till you puke, and usually ice and alpine climbing. After climbing the West Face Couloir on Huntington, Scotty and I both swore that we hated alpine climbing. The final 1,000′ was horrific – swimming up sugar snow that collapsed beneath us, roped together without protection – and took nearly as long as the initial 3,000′ from camp. On the summit, Scotty turned to me and said, in complete seriousness, “I want my mom so bad right now.” By the time we reached Talkeetna our talk of Huntington turned to, “Ya know, that wasn’t so bad. What should we try next time?”

Type III Fun – not fun at all, not even in retrospect. As in, “What the hell was I thinking? If I ever even consider doing that again, somebody slap some sense into me.” The final 1,000′ of Huntington, when I stop and think about it…but, then again, a friend climbed it the next year and had perfect conditions.

I guess you never really know what sort of fun you’re getting yourself into once you leave the couch, which is fine, because it doesn’t always have to be “fun” to be fun.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 19, 2014, 12:22:13 pm »
Ever shoot a moose in the backcountry in shite conditions (cold, wet, muskeg, etc) and have to pack it out with your buddies? That's one reference point for me.

OMG - When I was 17 I went moose hunting with friends and we got one that staggered into the lake before dying.  AND we were many hard hours on foot from the truck.  It was a heinous amount of work.  Every moose meal that winter had me recalling how much I'd worked for it - made it taste even better!!

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 19, 2014, 12:22:21 pm »

Yes, and by foot... before ATV days