Author Topic: Goodbye MyFord Touch, Hello Sync 3  (Read 11206 times)

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Goodbye MyFord Touch, Hello Sync 3
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2014, 08:35:18 am »
Oh good.  So there will be cars that I will avoid like the plague, just like I do with Apple products.

Manufacturers that go with CarPlay are severely limiting their market considering Android has the most market share.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 08:38:30 am by mixmanmash »

Offline me_2

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +300/-76
  • 2014 Volt, 2001 Saturn SW2. Son's DD: 2015 Volt
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2014, 09:34:01 am »
I kind of like the MyLink in my Spark, same as Trax & Sonic, I believe http://www.gm.ca/gm/english/vehicles/chevrolet/infotainment/2014-byom-features

I didn't have the NAV into my previous Volt but with the Spark now, the GPS Apps "BrinGO" is on my iPhone (Android version also available http://bringgo.com/about/smartphone_to_car_connectivity.html ) + few others Apps.

Climate control buttons are duplicated in their functions on screen too. Overall, It works fine for me
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 09:38:07 am by me_2 »
Gone but not forgotten in chronological order: 2019 Volt, 2013 Volt, 2014 Spark EV, 2012 Volt and many others before...

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2014, 10:31:57 am »
Oh good.  So there will be cars that I will avoid like the plague, just like I do with Apple products.

Manufacturers that go with CarPlay are severely limiting their market considering Android has the most market share.

There's nothing that prevents manufacturers from supporting both platforms.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Goodbye MyFord Touch, Hello Sync 3
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2014, 11:56:55 am »

Good to know.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Re: Goodbye MyFord Touch, Hello Sync 3
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2014, 02:41:01 pm »

Good to know.

Android can hookup to QNX as well. Which is why I said "So this supports CarPlay and the Android equivalent?"

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2014, 01:43:43 am »

I've read that Sync 3 does support Android Auto.

Also, with Sync 3, updates are much easier, as the system can update itself over Wi-Fi. While you can still use USB sticks and having the dealer flashing the system to update Sync 3, that shouldn't be necessary. That should allow Ford to more quickly and aggressively roll out updates and new features over time.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2014, 06:10:41 pm »
Also, with Sync 3, updates are much easier, as the system can update itself over Wi-Fi. While you can still use USB sticks and having the dealer flashing the system to update Sync 3, that shouldn't be necessary. That should allow Ford to more quickly and aggressively roll out updates and new features over time.

This would honestly win me over. Having to go to a dealer for any type of software updated seems like an antiquated process.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2014, 06:15:09 pm »
nobody has mentioned it yet.. but one of the best in the biz, the uconnect system from chrysler is qnx as well...

i'd say it's a smart move. every qnx based system seemed to be better in the minds of reviewers and drivers alike...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2014, 06:57:13 pm »
nobody has mentioned it yet.. but one of the best in the biz, the uconnect system from chrysler is qnx as well...

i'd say it's a smart move. every qnx based system seemed to be better in the minds of reviewers and drivers alike...
^^^This.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 07:57:59 pm »
Still don't see why they can't just provide a dummy screen to mirror your device...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Goodbye MyFord Touch, Hello Sync 3
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2014, 10:14:09 pm »

I guess I'm the odd one here.  I owed an MFT equipped vehicle for two years and found it to be very easy to use and I enjoyed it.     

Canuck I have MFT in my vehicle and it has been flawless as well. I always have a hard time understanding some of the complaints people post online.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline ThePointblank

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +6/-2
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota RAV4
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2014, 01:37:35 am »

I guess I'm the odd one here.  I owed an MFT equipped vehicle for two years and found it to be very easy to use and I enjoyed it.     

Canuck I have MFT in my vehicle and it has been flawless as well. I always have a hard time understanding some of the complaints people post online.

It depends on what you are trying to do with MFT, and what implementation of MFT is in your vehicle. If it was from when MFT was brand new, it was an unmitigated disaster.

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2014, 08:12:05 am »
Still don't see why they can't just provide a dummy screen to mirror your device...

Isn't that essentially what Apple CarPlay does? I'm assuming Android Auto is similar.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2014, 09:43:04 am »

Isn't that essentially what Apple CarPlay does? I'm assuming Android Auto is similar.

Somewhat.. It's getting close. But you still can only use certain apps.  Also all the reviews I've seen so far say it's pretty buggy still. (At least Alpine and Pioneer's aftermarket options).

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2014, 10:19:01 am »
Why QNX?

Why not Android which is the most widely used mobile OS on the market right now?

Because QNX rocks the embedded world.

Yep. QNX absolutely DOMINATES the car infotainment world, with 3/4 of the market share. GM, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mazda, Renault-Nissan, Volkwagen, and Land Rover are major customers of QNX. The main reason is customizability (QNX is willing to work with the manufacturers to develop an implementation specific to that manufacturer), open standards, and stability (an application crash does not cause the entire system to crash). The stability is why QNX is often used in power generation plants, such as nuclear powered ones.

QNX has a very long history in car infotainment systems; the company was originally owned by Harmon International before Blackberry snapped up the company a few years back.

I've used QNX in a few applications for embedded controls using ISaGraf soft controllers and HMI. Pretty robust stuff really.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2014, 10:37:43 am »

It depends on what you are trying to do with MFT, and what implementation of MFT is in your vehicle. If it was from when MFT was brand new, it was an unmitigated disaster.

Care to elaborate on that?  Did you own a vehicle equipped with MFT when it first came out?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Online OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2014, 10:38:28 am »

Somewhat.. It's getting close. But you still can only use certain apps.  Also all the reviews I've seen so far say it's pretty buggy still. (At least Alpine and Pioneer's aftermarket options).

That's better than simply mirroring the device, IMO. The UX needs to be different to cater to the limitations of using it in the car, with the screen further away.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2014, 01:01:02 pm »
Also think gestures... The last thing you want is people pinch-zooming/scrolling through their screens while driving.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2014, 04:17:21 pm »
i wonder if the car rolls over if the screen will roll with you so i can still read a facebook post....

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2014, 12:08:24 am »
Why QNX?

Why not Android which is the most widely used mobile OS on the market right now?

Because QNX rocks the embedded world.

Yep. QNX absolutely DOMINATES the car infotainment world, with 3/4 of the market share. GM, Toyota, Honda, Hyundai, Porsche, BMW, Audi, Mazda, Renault-Nissan, Volkwagen, and Land Rover are major customers of QNX. The main reason is customizability (QNX is willing to work with the manufacturers to develop an implementation specific to that manufacturer), open standards, and stability (an application crash does not cause the entire system to crash). The stability is why QNX is often used in power generation plants, such as nuclear powered ones.

QNX has a very long history in car infotainment systems; the company was originally owned by Harmon International before Blackberry snapped up the company a few years back.

I've used QNX in a few applications for embedded controls using ISaGraf soft controllers and HMI. Pretty robust stuff really.
Absolutely.  I played with a QNX HMI for industrial applications years ago and was impressed.