Author Topic: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection  (Read 10604 times)

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
Re: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2014, 04:13:08 pm »
Yeah the new Impreza engines are certainly anemic.  But mostly just because I know what they used to be like...

I just see the new Pentastar in the Wrangler, and see they haven't improved the fuel economy any more over the good old 4.0 long block.  If they had kept the power down around ~215hp, with the new tech of the Pentastars, I feel maybe they could have actually improved it's mileage for daily driveability.    Although this isn't a Wrangler thread, I digress...
At least you are not writing about vacuum  :rofl2:
Or a bullhorn aimed at yelling at your kids.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ct1Mb5xWZjE

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +100/-298
  • Make mine a flat white, triple shot.
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2014, 04:27:41 pm »
Our G.C. with the Chrysler Pentastar V6 does not emit the stinky burn upon cold start as do most engines until they are warmed up. I know my 2010 Subaru for instance has a poor cold burn. The issue was dealt with in the newer FB-25 engines vs my FA-25 EJ25 Phase II. The engine burns clean and is smooth as butter. Accolades to the Chrysler Pentastar engineers.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 08:52:31 am by redman »
Past New (8yrs) Car Dealer for : BMW, Lexus, Nissan and Toyota<br />Past Used Vehicle Dealer: All Makes and Models. Seen a lot of it. Drove a lot of it. <br />Four-stroke Otto Engine 1876. Modern timer, pop-up toaster 1919 keep convincing yourself that you have the "latest appliance".

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2014, 04:32:18 pm »
Our G.C. with the Chrysler Pentastar V6 does not emit the stinky burn upon cold start as do most engines until they are warmed up. I know my 2010 Subaru for instance has a poor cold burn. The issue was dealt with in the newer FB-25 engines vs my FA-25. The engine burns clean and is smooth as butter. Accolades to the Chrysler Pentastar engineers.
ya mean EJ25?  No such thing as an FA25.

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2014, 09:59:49 pm »
A Chrysler mini-van with AWD?  So, a competitor to the Sienna AWD?  That's the real story here.
Yeah, too bad it will be mated to the craptastic 9 speed crapomatic.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7217
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 10:04:01 pm »
A Chrysler mini-van with AWD?  So, a competitor to the Sienna AWD?  That's the real story here.

They tried that...remember....I think its universally agreed that the GC makes sense at ~$20K, anything more and the other minivan options are better.

All the other options on the market are also much newer than the T&C/GC twins. I'm actually really excited to see what Chrysler does with their minivans, as each generation brings a new set of ingenious solutions to the market that nobody saw coming.

Like quality and reliability?   :rofl:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline canbra

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 10:12:38 pm »
I get the value of the HondaVAC. But, for $48,310? Nope. Not a chance in frozen hell.

and :iagree:, it needs to trickle down to every trim as an option.  This whole "reserved for top-trim" bit doesn't help much when top-trim sales only equate to 10 or 20% of sales.

The frigging mirror-mounted turn signals are reserved to the top-trim Odyssey too. Ridiculous.

At least they trickled the 6-speed autobox down to all the trims. Until few years ago (2, 3?) it was also reserved to the top Touring trim.

Offline canbra

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Current: 2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 10:21:21 pm »
I'm actually really excited to see what Chrysler does with their minivans, as each generation brings a new set of ingenious solutions to the market that nobody saw coming.

Like quality and reliability?   :rofl:

I am actually waiting for Chrysler to announce their new minivan in hybrid form. The Fiat guy said a couple of years ago that they were working on one.

Not that I would buy one from Chrysler, but I believe that move on their part would force Toyota to move their *** out of the comfort zone and incorporate their hybrid powertrain into the Sienna. Possibly in a brand new and more fuel efficient new Sienna. Hopefully Honda follows suit, to give Toyota some competition and not end up like the Highlander Hybrid, that costs 6 grands more over the regular Highlander...

A hybrid minivan in 4, 5 years from now would make me seriously consider getting one.

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2010 Subaru Legacy Limited, 2009 Pontiac Vibe GT son's
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2014, 08:40:05 am »
Our G.C. with the Chrysler Pentastar V6 does not emit the stinky burn upon cold start as do most engines until they are warmed up. I know my 2010 Subaru for instance has a poor cold burn. The issue was dealt with in the newer FB-25 engines vs my FA-25. The engine burns clean and is smooth as butter. Accolades to the Chrysler Pentastar engineers.
ya mean EJ25?  No such thing as an FA25.

Your are partially correct my 2010 Legacy is a EJ25 (Phase II engines 1999 up) but there is a FA25 FA20 engine designation http://wardsauto.com/vehicles-amp-technology/subaru-20l-fa-dohc-h-4-boxer

Found in the Subaru BRZ and its twin, the Scion FR-S.

An FA25 would be a dream as the standard Legacy engine but Subaru/Toyota are keeping that dual injection system exclusively in the BRZ/FR-S in 2.0L for now.

Subaru new FB25 engine highlight:
Despite all the similarity to its predecessor’s specifications, the FB is all-new, including the block and the heads. The biggest fundamental difference between old and new is that the FB’s camshafts are chain driven, with all variations of the engine now carrying twin cams in each head. Going to chain-driven cams allows the valves to be placed at a narrower angle to each other. This let the engine designers shrink the bore, from 99.5 mm to 94. The smaller-diameter cylinder and increased stroke (now 90 mm, up 11) lets the FB suck air in more quickly, and the elongated cylinder also results in less unburned fuel during cold starts. Both intake and exhaust cams are equipped with variable valve timing.

I digress we are talking about the Pentastar engines. http://www.pentastars.com/engines/tech.php
The 3.6-liter Pentastar is available in 11 vehicles across the Chrysler Group lineup, producing between 283 and 305 hp, depending on the vehicle.

Direct injection has been delayed for numerous reasons, and is not expected until calendar years 2015-2016. Chrysler might be waiting for the expected phase-in of low-sulfur gasoline in the United States.[/b]
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 08:23:27 am by redman »

Offline redman

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection
« Reply #28 on: December 09, 2014, 08:55:33 am »

The 2014-15 G.C. use an 8 speed which has received better reviews than the 9 speed. Maybe the 8 speed will prevail.

A Pentastar variant with Fiat’s MultiAir valve-actuation system would be interesting.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 09:13:55 am by redman »

Offline mixmanmash

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +103/-326
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Honda Odyssey Touring; 1993 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 1990 Nissan 300ZX Twin Turbo; 2009 Nissan Rogue S AWD (wife's); 2002 Mazda Protege ES-GT (retired)
Re: Re: Re: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection
« Reply #29 on: December 09, 2014, 09:32:31 am »

The 2014-15 G.C. use an 8 speed which has received better reviews than the 9 speed. Maybe the 8 speed will prevail.

A Pentastar variant with Fiat’s MultiAir valve-actuation system would be interesting.
The ZF 8 speed is for longitudinal applications which means it is not going in the Town and Country.  By GC, I assume you mean Grand Cherokee.

Offline Kris78

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +28/-25
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Chevy Traverse, 2013 Suzuki SV650SF
« Reply #30 on: December 09, 2014, 10:05:45 am »
NoTo mentioned it, but I'd be most excited to see how this would impact the LX cars. It would certainly slot in nicely between the NA V6 and the Hemi. Of course, with fuel economy regs being what they are, I hope it doesn't replace the Hemi. Challenger SXT with a turbo 6? Absolutely. R/T.... No thanks. That needs the 8.

The twisted part of me is looking forward to the terrible name they will bestow it with.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 10:21:02 am »
Your are partially correct my 2010 Legacy is a EJ25 (Phase II engines 1999 up) but there is a FA25 engine designation
Nope, I'm 100% fully correct.  While there is an FA20, an FA20F and FA20D, there is no such thing as an FA25.

You'll notice that the BR-Z and FR-S use the FA20, the Forester XT and the new WRX use the FA20F (tuned slightly differently).  Still no 2.5L FA motor.  There is the FB25, which is not the same as the FA, though similar.

I am actually waiting for Chrysler to announce their new minivan in hybrid form. The Fiat guy said a couple of years ago that they were working on one.

Not that I would buy one from Chrysler, but I believe that move on their part would force Toyota to move their *** out of the comfort zone and incorporate their hybrid powertrain into the Sienna. Possibly in a brand new and more fuel efficient new Sienna. Hopefully Honda follows suit, to give Toyota some competition and not end up like the Highlander Hybrid, that costs 6 grands more over the regular Highlander...

A hybrid minivan in 4, 5 years from now would make me seriously consider getting one.
Don't hold your breath.  It's not because they don't think that they could get better fuel economy, nor that they don't have a hybrid system that they could use, but the battery has to go somewhere.  It's kind of like the Sienna AWD - in order for the rear driveshaft to fit, there could not be a spare tire and all Sienna AWDs come OEM with runflats for that reason.  Many folks already say "I won't buy the AWD Sienna because then I have to use runflats or take up cargo space with a spare tire!"

If they did make a Sienna hybrid, it could be AWD like the RX hybrid is, but it will then lose the rear seats' ability to be folded flat into the floor.  Most folks would rather have the folding seats than save 2-3L/100km, and pay $3,000+ for the premium of having the hybrid system.

While I am fully in support of an AWD minivan, I have less support for a hybrid minivan.  I would like to see a minivan be more fuel efficient, but the reality is that there's simply no great place to store the battery.  I'm amazed that our RX400h has a full-sized spare tire and a massive battery pack, but that's because the battery sits under the rear seats.  In a minivan, that's simply not possible, especially if you want the seats to be removable.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »
technology is generally a good thing... but as others have said, hopefully the 9-speed is smoothed out by then. the 8-speed is a great unit and i would prefer to see it used.

interesting to see them go with this technology on the v6's rather than some 4's.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2014, 04:19:08 pm »
Chrysler needs to step up their game, as it stands Chrysler is paying about $247 for every truck it sells. They had to buy millions of credits from other mfgs (Nissan and...? but other mfgs are not obligated to sell credits, what Toyota does for example). 2014 is coming to end...we'll see where they stand.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2014, 07:04:53 pm »
i bet you'll see at the end of the year that they are the biggest "winner" in the market... they are having more growth than any major player, are making better cars and trucks than they ever have, and will finally have cars in nearly all segments... they have stepped up their game.

any chance you have a source for that truck stat? find it curious that according to every financial paper, the profitability of fiatchrysler is owed to the ram brand and it's increased sales... if they were losing money every truck, they wouldn't be trying so hard to move the metal.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2014, 07:15:20 pm »
I got it from allpar, I will post the link in the a.m. Chrysler's problem isn't sales, but how those sales happen...at least from a CAFE perspective. Ford, for example, doesn't need to worry about it because they sell enough fuel efficient cars that give them enough credits to do whatever they want with their engines.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2014, 07:26:35 pm »
ahhh.. those credits.

gotcha. i thought you were saying that fca was losing money for each truck it sells...

sure they want to get rid of that extra couple hundred cost/truck.. but i'm sure they aren't kicking themselves too much since they make a whole lot more per truck sold and they are selling like hotcakes. they are just trying to cut incentives by 500 or so compared to the outgoing model... so a net gain of 253 without having to implement new engines.