Author Topic: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection  (Read 10606 times)

Offline Autos_Editor

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +91/-560
    • View Profile

Second-generation engines needed as future CAFE targets loom

Read More...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2014, 12:13:12 pm »
Is this signs of a possible Chrysler 200 SRT-6??  ;D
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 12:14:19 pm »
A Chrysler mini-van with AWD?  So, a competitor to the Sienna AWD?  That's the real story here.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 12:15:58 pm »
A Chrysler mini-van with AWD?  So, a competitor to the Sienna AWD?  That's the real story here.

They tried that...remember....I think its universally agreed that the GC makes sense at ~$20K, anything more and the other minivan options are better.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +33/-123
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2014, 12:18:55 pm »

They tried that...remember....I think its universally agreed that the GC makes sense at ~$20K, anything more and the other minivan options are better.

All the other options on the market are also much newer than the T&C/GC twins. I'm actually really excited to see what Chrysler does with their minivans, as each generation brings a new set of ingenious solutions to the market that nobody saw coming.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2014, 12:21:33 pm »

All the other options on the market are also much newer than the T&C/GC twins. I'm actually really excited to see what Chrysler does with their minivans, as each generation brings a new set of ingenious solutions to the market that nobody saw coming.

Hope its a little more groundbreaking than this little trinket......

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2004 Suzuki Vitara (snowplow), 2008 Saturn Astra, 2003 Buell XB9S Lightning, 2009 Yamaha R6, 1984 Honda Nighthawk CB450SC (stolen)
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2014, 12:28:07 pm »
Hope its a little more groundbreaking than this little trinket......

I love the idea of the HondaVac but the fact you need to purchase the top-trim Odyssey to get it ruins its appeal for me.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2014, 12:40:08 pm »
It takes having kids to appreciate the genius of a built in vacuum cleaner.  If the Altima had a built-in vac, there would be a lot less goldfish crackers on the floor and around the car seat in the back.  It's just such a goddamn chore bringing the big inside vacuum from the house outside to vacuum the car, that it's reserved for the 'once every two month big vacuum', and forget about doing it in winter.

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2014, 12:42:40 pm »
Snowman upon reading this thread...

:rofl:

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2014, 12:43:15 pm »
It takes having kids to appreciate the genius of a built in vacuum cleaner.  If the Altima had a built-in vac, there would be a lot less goldfish crackers on the floor and around the car seat in the back.  It's just such a goddamn chore bringing the big inside vacuum from the house outside to vacuum the car, that it's reserved for the 'once every two month big vacuum', and forget about doing it in winter.

Every homeowner should have a small Shop-Vac. :)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2014, 12:47:17 pm »
Yeah, but not all of us have garages.  We live in a small house with basically zero storage room, seeing as I turned the basement into a rental suite to bring in extra income.  I have nowhere to store extraneous things, and as such, live by the 'have no more than one of anything' rule.  Therefore, no shopvac for me.

I'm sorry, Snowman, but some of us don't have the luxury of keeping our cars pristine all the time, although we try our best.  There was a time, when I was single and living in a bachelor pad, that having tools to keep my cars pristine was no problem.  Having a wife and kids changes your priorities somewhat, though, when deciding what to do with limited space.  You try cramming a family of four into 800 sq. ft.

Offline MarkStevenson

• Auto Obsessed
  • Editor @ TTAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2014, 12:48:00 pm »

Still, in the winter you need to deal with the bloody extension cord and all that, plus operate it while wearing gloves because it's -40 outside and even your nose hairs have frozen.

I get the value of the HondaVAC. But, for $48,310? Nope. Not a chance in frozen hell.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Chrysler Pentastar V6s to Receive Turbocharging, Direct Injection
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2014, 01:03:29 pm »

Still, in the winter you need to deal with the bloody extension cord and all that, plus operate it while wearing gloves because it's -40 outside and even your nose hairs have frozen.

I get the value of the HondaVAC. But, for $48,310? Nope. Not a chance in frozen hell.

~$50k for a shop vac.....holy cow lol

Sent from my Galaxy S3

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2014, 02:21:23 pm »
These would be better
http://www.dewalt.com/tool-categories/cordless-specialty-cordless-vacuums.aspx

Will they use this engine in the Ram 1500?

Offline Snowman

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +702/-1347
  • “It’s never crowded along the extra mile.”
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Cars: 2012 Audi TT-RS. 2011 Toyota Venza AWD.2004 Honda S2000 Bikes: Giant Defy Avdvanced 0. Giant Talon 29 "hardtail"
« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2014, 02:25:50 pm »
Snowman upon reading this thread...

:rofl:

:rofl2: well played farm boy.

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2014, 02:33:32 pm »
I thought that Chryfi explicitly said "no AWD...folks want stow n' go, not AWD.  Too few would buy it."

If they do offer it, good for them...they're not battling Subaru here, so how good the AWD system is shouldn't matter at all.

I think the bigger news here is that the Chryfi minivan will get the 3.2L instead of the 3.6L, but with DI will get a power bump to near the current 3.6's 283hp in the T&C:
A 3.2 liter direct-injection version is planned, with projected output of 280 hp
source: http://www.allpar.com/mopar/phoenix-engines.html

As for the turbo-pentastars:
A twin turbo and single-turbocharger version are planned, for introduction by 2015; both would be based on the smallest size (3.0 liters) and might be slated for limited-production models (e.g. a new Viper based on a Maserati or an SRT mid-sized car). The twin-turbo version appears to projected for a whopping 420 horsepower while the single-turbo appears to be set for 370 hp.
So by "downsizing," they mean using the 3.0L instead of the 3.2 or 3.6L.

And I think the 200 SRT-6 is very unlikely, though I'd imagine the Charger/Challenger will get the treatment.

and :iagree:, it needs to trickle down to every trim as an option.  This whole "reserved for top-trim" bit doesn't help much when top-trim sales only equate to 10 or 20% of sales.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2014, 03:02:58 pm »
Maybe they need to stop bumping up the power?  When does a minivan need 283hp?  Oh yea... to navigate stop and go traffic.  You could take a page from Subaru and realize that a decrease in power would bring all the necessary fuel economy gains...  I guess once people have had a taste of 283hp no one wants to go back...   And turbocharging? We all know Ecoboost is a sham...
« Last Edit: December 08, 2014, 03:05:13 pm by WRX_Pilot »

Offline Noto

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +774/-2132
  • This forum is making me almost as bitter as SirO
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '23 Mazda CX-50 Turbo; '24 Crosstrek Wilderness
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2014, 03:47:53 pm »
Maybe they need to stop bumping up the power?  When does a minivan need 283hp?  Oh yea... to navigate stop and go traffic.  You could take a page from Subaru and realize that a decrease in power would bring all the necessary fuel economy gains...  I guess once people have had a taste of 283hp no one wants to go back...   And turbocharging? We all know Ecoboost is a sham...
While I agree with you in theory, one of the chief complaints of the Impreza (and Forester, Legacy, and Outback for that matter) is the weak base engine.  FWIW.

Nobody complains that the Sienna with 266hp is slow, but when they offered a 4-cyl version of it, nobody bought it.

With all the safety features and need to haul that kind of weight around (these things weigh almost 5,000 lbs), anything less than 240hp just won't cut it.

Also, if Chryfi is after a luxury market, the engine output will have to be higher than the pedestrian rivals.

Offline WRX_Pilot

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +18/-60
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '15 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2014, 03:56:48 pm »
Yeah the new Impreza engines are certainly anemic.  But mostly just because I know what they used to be like...

I just see the new Pentastar in the Wrangler, and see they haven't improved the fuel economy any more over the good old 4.0 long block.  If they had kept the power down around ~215hp, with the new tech of the Pentastars, I feel maybe they could have actually improved it's mileage for daily driveability.    Although this isn't a Wrangler thread, I digress...

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2014, 03:59:21 pm »
Yeah the new Impreza engines are certainly anemic.  But mostly just because I know what they used to be like...

I just see the new Pentastar in the Wrangler, and see they haven't improved the fuel economy any more over the good old 4.0 long block.  If they had kept the power down around ~215hp, with the new tech of the Pentastars, I feel maybe they could have actually improved it's mileage for daily driveability.    Although this isn't a Wrangler thread, I digress...
At least you are not writing about vacuum  :rofl2: